ImageImageImageImageImage

How long does BC have to turn this around?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

How much leash does BC have left?

He has before the new year to turn this around or hes fired
3%
He has the whole year to prove himself
14%
Hes one 5 game losing streak away from being fired
No votes
No way BC is fired unless this team reverts back to under 30 wins
27%
New option*** BC is good for the next 5 years no matter what happens
56%

Total votes: 59

Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,498

Re: How long does BC have to turn this around? 

Post#141 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Anatomize wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:
This post is what the entire thread boils down to.

What is BC's job priority? To make money for MSLE or to produce a winning product. If it is the former then the only hope for us as fans is that the media will expose this so we can get a proper GM.

But the issue here is that nothing needs exposing. I doubt there's a single member of the Toronto spors media who is unaware that BC's first priority is to create revenue/profit. It's not a hidden conspiracy; it's an acknowledged state of affairs. Like the man said in the movie, it's not show friends, it's show business.

Now you'll get exceptions, like the Mavs, where the owner is a fan first and a businessman second, and you'll get more exceptions, like the Yankees or the Cowboys, where revenue is such a floodline, and status is so keyed into that situation, that owners can essentially act with fan priorities and rationalize it in buniness terms...and then you'll even get your Allen type situations where ownership has so much money, and the product is either as much about image or ego as profit, that they don't really have to worry about things in the usual way.

But for the rest, it's a business first, and a game second. To some degree the methods of producing a sports winner and producing a profit maker coincide, so you will see some overlap, but in any of the many situations where a business is given a choice of one or the other, the business aspect will almost always carry the day.

So in that respect, BC isn't really fulfilling some ulterior motive by having ;'make money for MLSE' as his top priority, he is doing his job. And as long as he is doing his job, he'll never have to worry about losing it, no matter where we fall on the 'winning product' side of things. And, as I said, to some degree, winning and profit do overlap, and so you WILL see BC almost always try and win as many games as we can in the here and now.

The irony being that that's the mindset that's likely to keep us from being great, but we should almost always be somewhere between below average to above average under his reign, barring significant injury woes, so he'll never really have to sweat the fear that he'll be held more accountable for the second priority than the first.

Bargnani slept with your mama

Really? I wonder if they had a difficult time figuring out which one was softer inside.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#142 » by Volcano » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:00 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Anatomize wrote:Bargnani slept with your mama

Really? I wonder if they had a difficult time figuring out which one was softer inside.

I liked your original quote better.

"My mom's bed has no boards either." or something like that

You just got a whole stash of these somewhere!
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#143 » by Anatomize » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:

You know, out of all the people who I've seen write, you're the only one who's never had any balls to admit he was dead wrong about his predictions. You need to experience an ego-death.

When you get caught in your own web of poor predictions, you conjure up a paragraph with little cohesiveness and complicated wording in order to confuse those who argue with you and send them off track from the original argument. It's a pity.
heemer
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#144 » by heemer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:03 pm

It is certainly fair to criticize BC if you feel it, but he has 99% job security. Firing him is not even an option for anyone involved.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,498

Post#145 » by Harry Palmer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:05 pm

Anatomize wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

You know, out of all the people who I've seen write, you're the only one who's never had any balls to admit he was dead wrong about his predictions. You need to experience an ego-death.

When you get caught in your own web of poor predictions, you conjure up a paragraph with little cohesiveness and complicated wording in order to confuse those who argue with you and send them off track from the original argument. It's a pity.

I always said he had scoring ability, but was a guy who gave you nothing when he wasn't scoring. That's not complicated or confusing; that's what I always said. I have linked quotes saying exactly that, and people ignore them. Which isn't surprising; people ignored them at the time.

Sorry, I can't alter reality to meet with your misonceptions.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,733

Post#146 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:36 pm

I don't think anybody doubted Bargs ability to score, so I don't understand how people who thought he would never rebound well or defend well are currently eating crow.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.

Return to Toronto Raptors