ImageImageImageImageImage

How long does BC have to turn this around?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

How much leash does BC have left?

He has before the new year to turn this around or hes fired
3%
He has the whole year to prove himself
14%
Hes one 5 game losing streak away from being fired
No votes
No way BC is fired unless this team reverts back to under 30 wins
27%
New option*** BC is good for the next 5 years no matter what happens
56%

Total votes: 59

TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Re: How long does BC have to turn this around? 

Post#61 » by TheDunc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:36 am

Superboy316KING wrote:Instead of people calling for his head...Let me as u this.
say we did fire Colangelo...WHO WOULD YOU GIVE THE REIGNS TO???

People like to call for his head but have no idea of what will happen next...do they really think MLSE is gonna make the same mistake and give control over to some rookie GM who destroys the franchise and makes us a laughing stock of the NBA

Which goes back to my other point. I think if BC does get extended it speaks more volumes on whats available out there in GM talent. This isnt a fire BC thread people! But how many moves can he do before MLSE tells him to stop. He has done a good job at repairing his errors though.

P.S im still feeling the effects of last nights loss. That was such a horrible game, that had me fuming all night. I dont see how we can go from that bad defensively to top 10. Knowing BC he hates to lose so if this team does suck then he'll keep trading. Im just wondering if MLSE is kind of tightening the freedom on what he can do.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#62 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 am

PopsMensahBonsu wrote: Im just wondering if MLSE is kind of tightening the freedom on what he can do.

No, MLSE has given him the reigns to do what he wants. That's not going to change.
stephen23ca
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#63 » by stephen23ca » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:41 am

There's a big difference in will he be gone and should he be gone. Obviously from a business standpoint the franchise is making a lot more money, but as a fan I have to say I am still disappointed as I care about winning. Let's be honest here, how much has this team truly improved? Look at our record last season as proof. Does he make plenty of changes? yes, but what has resulted from it? Are we going to contend for our division? No. Are we going to challenge Orlando for the ECA? No. The wheels are just spinning, the parts are constantly spinning but until results and I am speaking WINS start happening why should I as a fan be content? Because MLSE is making money and we have more respect around the league? Big whoop, show me the W's...
TheDunc
Head Coach

Post#64 » by TheDunc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:43 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
PopsMensahBonsu wrote:Do you really think any team will give us anything of value for Bosh? Teams arent (Please Use More Appropriate Word), they know it will be merely a rental. A team might take him on but there not giving up the bank for him.

Ill be pleasently suprised if they do but why would any team do that? it would be just a rental...

He's not talking about a rental. he's talking about a sign and trade.

You are getting a lot of flak for this thread because the idea Colangelo's on thin ice is ignorant and just shows a lack of understanding of both the NBA and business in general. He makes a ton of money for MLSE, has a **** load of respect as a GM around the league, and in three years the Raps have been in the playoffs twice, with another very good shot this year in year 4. One trip to the lottery doesn't get someone like Colangelo fired.

But the product on the court isnt very good. Call me old school but i liked it when teams took pride in Defense. This team doesnt. Until that changes i have to blame someone. Its funny because this team hasnt been very good yet people take offense once the blame is put on somebody. Its as if nobody is to blame for this. We cant blame Bosh (Nor do i), we cant blame jose, we cant blame the hedo signing, we cant blame bargs, we cant blame BC. Im not disputing the fact that BC has great respect around the league. Im not asking to fire his ass but he keeps making moves that arent panning out. Im just wondering if MLSE tells him rethink his moves clearly. BC has a **** of freedom because he constantly makes alot of moves. Hes probably the most active GM. But his moves havent panned out to great.

BTw your allowed to your opinion, thats why i made this thread. Im not insinuating that he is on thin ice at the moment. But how many moves can a gm have before making the right one?
TheDunc
Head Coach

Post#65 » by TheDunc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:45 am

LittleOzzy wrote:
PopsMensahBonsu wrote: Im just wondering if MLSE is kind of tightening the freedom on what he can do.

No, MLSE has given him the reigns to do what he wants. That's not going to change.

Fair enough. From a business/ marketing stand point i understand but so far the on court product in the last 2 years has been very mediocre at best. BC almost does this to himself. He likes to hype his product, he likes to sell it to the people. He has to expect some consequences when he does this and it doesnt work
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,603

Post#66 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:45 am

I understand everyone wants to win a title every year, but the Raps, for the first time in a long time, are finally look like they'll be making a habit out of getting into the playoffs. 2 years in, a bad year, and a 4th year where it looks more than probable. This is something to build off of and can eventually lead to bigger and better things. It certainly goes a long way towards changing the Minnesota esque culture that had been infesting the franchise.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#67 » by Homer Jay » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:50 am

This team is 3-4 not 1-6 so people need to smarten up. It was well discussed by the pundits the Raptors were likely to have a slow start due to playing a lot of early games against elite teams and a lot of road games to boot. That combined with an almost entirely new team (only 3 players of note returning from last year's squad.. Banks and Douby don't matter), it will take time to gel. Even if the Raps don't make the playoffs this year, Triano will be the one out, and likely BC rolls a well known top coach for the position.
TheDunc
Head Coach

Post#68 » by TheDunc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:56 am

Loss to the Magic without Carter,Lewis,Pietrus. Lit up By Anderson,Reddick and Nelson. Couldnt play a lick of D
Loss to the Grizzlies. No explanation needed here, there not a top team. Couldnt play a lick of D
Loss to the mavs, we got completly lit up and embarrassed. Couldnt play a lick of D
Loss to the Spurs without Duncan and Parker. Couldnt play a lick of D

A win against the Cavaliers who looked shaky to start off the season
A win against the pistons without Hamilton and Prince
A win against the hornets.....

Its not the record that bothers me, its the on court product. We cant play D at all...
RapTelligence
General Manager
And1: 96

Post#69 » by RapTelligence » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:00 am

PopsMensahBonsu wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
PopsMensahBonsu wrote:Do you really think any team will give us anything of value for Bosh? Teams arent (Please Use More Appropriate Word), they know it will be merely a rental. A team might take him on but there not giving up the bank for him.

Ill be pleasently suprised if they do but why would any team do that? it would be just a rental...

You are getting a lot of flak for this thread because the idea Colangelo's on thin ice is ignorant and just shows a lack of understanding of both the NBA and business in general. He makes a ton of money for MLSE, has a **** load of respect as a GM around the league, and in three years the Raps have been in the playoffs twice, with another very good shot this year in year 4. One trip to the lottery doesn't get someone like Colangelo fired.

But the product on the court isnt very good. Call me old school but i liked it when teams took pride in Defense. This team doesnt. Until that changes i have to blame someone. Its funny because this team hasnt been very good yet people take offense once the blame is put on somebody. Its as if nobody is to blame for this. We cant blame Bosh (Nor do i), we cant blame jose, we cant blame the hedo signing, we cant blame bargs, we cant blame BC. Im not disputing the fact that BC has great respect around the league. Im not asking to fire his ass but he keeps making moves that arent panning out. Im just wondering if MLSE tells him rethink his moves clearly. BC has a **** of freedom because he constantly makes alot of moves. Hes probably the most active GM. But his moves havent panned out to great.

BTw your allowed to your opinion, thats why i made this thread. Im not insinuating that he is on thin ice at the moment. But how many moves can a gm have before making the right one?
Remember a dude called Danny Ainge?
stephen23ca
Sophomore

Post#70 » by stephen23ca » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Homer Jay wrote:This team is 3-4 not 1-6 so people need to smarten up. It was well discussed by the pundits the Raptors were likely to have a slow start due to playing a lot of early games against elite teams and a lot of road games to boot. That combined with an almost entirely new team (only 3 players of note returning from last year's squad.. Banks and Douby don't matter), it will take time to gel. Even if the Raps don't make the playoffs this year, Triano will be the one out, and likely BC rolls a well known top coach for the position.

While it is true that things may turn around here and im giving it 20 games in, however if this doesn't work your suggestion is to fire Triano yet keep BC? So yet another move by BC that wouldn't of worked out yet you as a fan wish to keep him? That makes absolutely no sense. If the coach is to blame, surely the one who is hiring him deserves to share that.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#71 » by Southward1 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:06 am

-This is clearly an overreaction as BC has like 5 years left to fix his problems.
-The only thing I'm concerned about is the defense, like good lord they should be WAY better. I'm starting to think if this stays the same that Triano should be scratch his entire gameplan defensively and do something completely different.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#72 » by Reignman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:08 am

Fairview4Life wrote:I understand everyone wants to win a title every year, but the Raps, for the first time in a long time, are finally look like they'll be making a habit out of getting into the playoffs. 2 years in, a bad year, and a 4th year where it looks more than probable. This is something to build off of and can eventually lead to bigger and better things. It certainly goes a long way towards changing the Minnesota esque culture that had been infesting the franchise.

Good point. The only thing is that we haven't really moved forward. For eg. ATL started where we were and they've shown a steady incline whereas we're still in limbo.

A playoff spot is better than not making it but it's time we start moving forward.

BTW, my opinion in no way references BC's job stability. He's good to go and it has nothing to do with our win/loss record.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#73 » by Homer Jay » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:13 am

RapTelligence wrote:
PopsMensahBonsu wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Remember a dude called Danny Ainge?

Remember Ainge's buddy and former teammate Kevin Mchale passing over better packages from teams like Chicago to gift Garnett to him for below market value? Remember Ainge already having Paul Pierce from an earlier area? How about getting Ray Allen in a complete contract dump from Seattle... ok that was his one good move, but even that was lucky as the Sonics only wanted expirings and not players.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,603

Post#74 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:13 am

Reignman wrote:Good point. The only thing is that we haven't really moved forward. For eg. ATL started where we were and they've shown a steady incline whereas we're still in limbo.

A playoff spot is better than not making it but it's time we start moving forward.

We'll see what happens this summer with Joe Johnson and how long Bibby can keep going. They also lose their pick this year I believe. Are Williams, Smith, and Horford really going to be better over the next 5 years than Bosh, Bargnani, and Turkoglu? Who knows, but I doubt they're going to be continuing that steady incline for too much longer.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,647

Post#75 » by kingr » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:15 am

Will he be fired? No
Do I want him fired now? No. However, if he can't put out a winning product, then I want him fired.

He's made moves that I've hated (ie. Bargnani).... He's made moves that I've liked... (ie. Derozan).. So to me, it's about how the team does and 7 games is far too early to tell. we're 3-4. That's almost .500. Not worthy of a firing.
TheDunc
Head Coach

Post#76 » by TheDunc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:21 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
Reignman wrote:Good point. The only thing is that we haven't really moved forward. For eg. ATL started where we were and they've shown a steady incline whereas we're still in limbo.

We'll see what happens this summer with Joe Johnson and how long Bibby can keep going. They also lose their pick this year I believe. Are Williams, Smith, and Horford really going to be better over the next 5 years than Bosh, Bargnani, and Turkoglu? Who knows, but I doubt they're going to be continuing that steady incline for too much longer.

Try Calderon,Bargnani and Hedo. A little premature to expect Bosh to resign especially with this kind of start to the year. At least Atlanta's core plays Defense. Its the defensive side thats really bothering me with the raptors. But if were comparing our core to atlantas core without Joe Johnson and bibby. Dont you think thats really far too low expectations.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#77 » by Reignman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:23 am

Fairview4Life wrote:

I don't know, JJ probably re-signs and I don't think they'll miss Bibby once Teague finds his groove (just tooting my own horn). I think Horford is a bright young talent that will be in a few all-star games and Smith has the talent to surpass Hedo very shortly. Williams I have no idea about.

I only see positives for that team and have them pegged as the fourth seed. I don't know, although we have the best player out of the bunch, they seem to have the better team for now and the future.

For our team I think BC has done a good job of accumulating some assets but I don't think the sum of those assets form a very good team; however, with one or two shrewd moves he could change the entire complexion of our team. At least that's what I'm hoping for.
stephen23ca
Sophomore

Post#78 » by stephen23ca » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:23 am

Southward1 wrote:-This is clearly an overreaction as BC has like 5 years left to fix his problems.
-The only thing I'm concerned about is the defense, like good lord they should be WAY better. I'm starting to think if this stays the same that Triano should be scratch his entire gameplan defensively and do something completely different.

Are you kidding me? Another 5 years to fix his problem? So we are talking about nearly a decade to turn things around? In the fast world of sports that is simply incomprehensible. Do I think he should be fired yet? No. If we finish the season missing the playoffs or just barely getting into them, then yes he should be gone. He claims we should win 50? When he got the job how long did he say his own time table was to get this team around, 3 years right? If it works out this year, he gets credits, if not, so long.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#79 » by SharoneWright » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:24 am

PMB. Should MLSE fire BC? Yea or Nay? Like for real.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
TheDunc
Head Coach

Post#80 » by TheDunc » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:34 am

Ive got one simple question for you guys. If BC didnt have the credentials and his name was Jerry. Would he still be here?

Return to Toronto Raptors