ImageImageImageImageImage

Does The Raps Board have a losing culture?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

chazeemodo
Junior
And1: 52

Re: Does The Raps Board have a losing culture? 

Post#21 » by chazeemodo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:17 am

This is a good thought provoking thread. I think we have a vocal minority amongst a large group of fans on this board. We have a passionate fan base for certain and maybe we're not running on all cylinders as a franchise just yet, but I have higher hopes for this team (this year and beyond). With a vocal, dedicated fan base and revenue I think this team will develop a culture of winning and the board will reflect that. As for the knee jerk(s) posting well that's just part of being passionate....at least they care.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#22 » by timdunkit » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:21 am

J-Roc wrote:
timdunkit wrote:
J-Roc wrote:This makes me think of a guy like Bob McCown. He's been Mr. Negative for so long....especially with the Leafs. But his shtick works...as long as the team loses. Even when they went to the Conference Finals, he could be negative (Leafs don't have enough) and be right.

The negative people are ALWAYS right, until the team actually wins the championship.

So now we know what keeps you going ... but I'd disagree with the train of thought that negative people are always right ... People have different opinions of different things. Some people could see a 47 win team as a success and other as a treadmill team. Both people were right, just one was positive or one was negative ...

The people who see a 47-win 1st round exit as a success are some salespeople at MLSE. But even they would rather more. The so-called negative people see the big picture. It's not about 47 wins or making the playoffs. It's about winning the championship. We're not wrong. It's what players and coaches and GM's are also striving for.

There really is no right or wrong, its just different opinions. And I disagree with the resaoning that a 47 win team are salespeople at MLSE. I for one don't mind us being a tradmill 47-53 win team and sadly we aren't even there. This franchise has never won more then 47 games! Expectin a championship is asking for a bit to much if you ask me. I'd rather enjoy a treadmill 47-53 win team and get some entertainment. Of course you yourself have a differnet reason for watching the game ... its not a matter of right or wrong, just differences ...
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#23 » by SharoneWright » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:26 am

Edit: Thought the question pertained to the team, not the board. whoops.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Philip J Fry
Rookie
And1: 93

Post#24 » by Philip J Fry » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:52 am

Those who hope for a win every night will end up either happy or disappointed.

Those who expect a loss every night will end up either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Those who want the team to play hard every night will end up alternately pleased and frustrated.

There are a lot of people here who hope for a win (or at the very least a solid effort) in each game, and when it doesn't happen we get scenes like last night/today. The board swings almost as far the other way after the team wins a couple games.
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,658

Post#25 » by kingr » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:57 am

I think some people might be confuesed.... a losing culture isn't when fans get all negative because we lost. I'd say a losing culture is when people do not get mad after a loss. The fact that some people are okay with being a losing team for a while, that sets the losing culture.
heemer
Veteran
And1: 14

Post#26 » by heemer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

There really is something wrong with this board. I mean, things arent great, but its hysterical around here.
JD225
Analyst
And1: 341

Post#27 » by JD225 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:27 am

Wait, I thought we were blind homers back in 06/07? Maybe, just maybe the team has a losing culture and it's accurately reflected on the message board with negative views outweighing positive ones?
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#28 » by Boogie! » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:28 am

kingr wrote:I think some people might be confuesed.... a losing culture isn't when fans get all negative because we lost. I'd say a losing culture is when people do not get mad after a loss. The fact that some people are okay with being a losing team for a while, that sets the losing culture.

what board have you been posting on? after starting the season 3-4, people are asking when bc and triano are going to be fired... and you're saying people don't get mad after losses or are okay with being a losing team? seriously, wtf...
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,054

Post#29 » by carlosey » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:38 am

Theres nothing worse than posts whining about people whining about the whining.
Grizzled
Starter
And1: 0

Post#30 » by Grizzled » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:03 am

Absolutely! And it goes beyond this board too. It’s a Toronto thing. Loser city. The teams here have a tradition of losing, and that’s clearly what many of the fans want. There is a large segment of the fan base that wants to cry and whine and wet their pants after ever loss, and they’ll even stay away after wins because that’s not what they want. I’m sure you’ve noticed how much busier this place is after a loss than after a win. These fans are losers and they love losing, and the media has learned that they can generate a buzz by being losers themselves and catering to the loser fans, and that feeds back to the teams and drags them down as well, so there’s a feedback loop that maintains the losing tradition and helps to keep Toronto Loser City.
Throwback Jack
Freshman

Post#31 » by Throwback Jack » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:18 am

In terms of "boards",there has always been more traffic after a Raptor loss as opposed to a win...

Or trade fantasy's to try & rectify those losing roster's.Ironically that is what posters want....Refresh players every week & create negative threads perpetually..

Truth be known is not too many guy's wanna reply to positive feedback other than moderators :lol: ;)

Fact remains,a winning Raptor team is what everybody really does want but folks we are not there yet.

If we lose tomorrow versus Chicago it might not be the apocalypse now,but would be cause for concern based on the Bulls playing tonite..

Or just to accept the conclusion that we just are'nt good enough to compete with the Big Guns.
jrsmith
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#32 » by jrsmith » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:19 am

Grizzled wrote:Absolutely! And it goes beyond this board too. It’s a Toronto thing. Loser city. The teams here have a tradition of losing, and that’s clearly what many of the fans want. There is a large segment of the fan base that wants to cry and whine and wet their pants after ever loss, and they’ll even stay away after wins because that’s not what they want. I’m sure you’ve noticed how much busier this place is after a loss than after a win. These fans are losers and they love losing, and the media has learned that they can generate a buzz by being losers themselves and catering to the loser fans, and that feeds back to the teams and drags them down as well, so there’s a feedback loop that maintains the losing tradition and helps to keep Toronto Loser City.

logic pl0x
JD225
Analyst
And1: 341

Post#33 » by JD225 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:27 am

carlosey wrote:Theres nothing worse than posts whining about people whining about the whining.

Read the post below yours and you might reconsider.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#34 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:04 pm

First nothing we do online affects the Raps, Karma/Negativity/etc...

To the other point, there are just as many "Homer" fans when we win. Its just all a matter of opinion, which is why all of us come here, to give our own. I am vocal this year more then years past because of the pressure our FO has put on this roster to win now.

We have Bosh pending FA, and the comments Bryan gave us prior to the season suggested as such. The disappointment stems from not addressing our weakness and watching this team not just preform bad but historically bad defensively. My question, and im being fair, is where is the optimism? Matrix/JO were our stoppers last year, and we werent even mediocre, now its DD? Jack?

I love this team, am a quasi/shared season ticket holder, so I dont question anyones fanaticism, but I struggle everyday to see improvement. Chemistry and practice just dont equate to huge jumps in improvement. We knew Jose/Bargs/Hedo/Bosh were all average at best defensively, career wise.
Corps
Freshman

Post#35 » by Corps » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:31 pm

I think we just have some of the most passionate fans in the NBA. Or at least on this board. When the raps win we talk about championships and going on 10 game winning streaks and the like. When they lose, we scream fire everybody, boo the team, raps will never win, etc. But the raps lose more often than they win.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#36 » by Boogie! » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:01 pm

i see two raptors teams. the one that beat cleveland and the one that got destroyed by san antonio. people need to stop talking about how they struggle to see improvement. the team has improved. the problem is consistency. can the raptors play very well? yes. can they play like absolute turd? also, yes. but the fact that they can play very well is reason for optimism. i too believe they need more time to gel but i also believe that they just need to communicate and work a helluvalot higher on d. i believe their improvement on d is possible and will happen. will they be the boston celtics? probably not. but it will get to the point where it will allow them to win consistently.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#37 » by Gold Chain » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:21 pm

This team apart from a couple season has always been a loser.

This team's fanbase is world-wide and has the ability to crash this site with a first round playoff win.

Think about that.

We just want a solid, consistent team that can play defense, score and can do it for more than 2 games in a row.
D-Wins-RingsIMO
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: TORONTO ... where worst DRtg in the league happens!

Post#38 » by D-Wins-RingsIMO » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:31 pm

It all starts at the top. Our mods are a bunch of high volume low efficiency post count stuffers.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#39 » by dagger » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Does the board have a losing culture?

Do Internet boards represent culture of any kind? I mean even nihilist/terrorists and satanists have bulletin boards.

If we do have a losing culture, I suspect it's because we have moderators named Yogi Stewart, Schadenfreud and Yuri Vaultin. :)

I challenge one of our mods to change his username to either Rapschampsin2012 or Agent0cuckolded. That will change the culture here.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,327

Post#40 » by douggood » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:52 pm

its not just the board, its the city in general. i get the feeling of being the middle child. always pining for what others have instead of appreciating what we have.
this is a general comment and it involves all aspects of the city, (transportation, arts, civic etc)

Return to Toronto Raptors