ImageImageImageImageImage

DeMar DeRozan earning more minutes?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Re: DeMar DeRozan earning more minutes? 

Post#61 » by dillio » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:17 pm

bloodtoavampire wrote:oh man, he is good but I think he has small hands like me. He just seems to lose the ball on dunks a lot.

Lets hope he is luckier than me and that is all that is small :-()

TMI
underdog33
Lead Assistant
And1: 355

Post#62 » by underdog33 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:19 pm

I was pretty happy during the stretch when NOBODY on the raptors seemed to be rebounding in the 3rd quarter, Derozan took it upon himself and grabbed something like 7 rebounds in that stretch. If at this stage all he does is help fight for rebounds, thats a huge asset for this team.
O'neal and Moon 4 Life
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#63 » by Darkseid » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:54 pm

The key argument for keeping Marion was he beasted on the boards for his position, hiding Bargs ineptitude at boarding but if Demar keeps this up then even better.
Blasphemy
Bench Warmer
And1: 82

Post#64 » by Blasphemy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:57 pm

DD is solid and I really hope he gets more burn as the season rolls thru, just think of him as our Courtney Lee when he played for the magics

"A wise man told me don't argue with fools, because people from a distance can't tell who is who." - Jay-Z
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#65 » by Rhettmatic » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:19 pm

The Courtney Lee comparison seemed fairly apt before the season and probably even moreso now.

Lee averaged 7.1/2.0 last year before the all-star break (he had a terrible November too, contributing much less than DeMar has). He jumped up to 10.3/2.7 after the break.

DeMar is at 5.2/3.6 right now playing four fewer minutes per game than Lee did for the first half of last season. He's also four years younger than Lee.

Pretty encouraging stuff.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Maternal
Banned User
And1: 222

Post#66 » by Maternal » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:26 pm

He'd probably to started over Jose by now.[/quote]

You think the team would hand over the starting PG to a rookie guard? With absolutely no familiarity with Bosh, Bargnani?

You're delusional.[/quote]

Again the rookie discrimination continues. Why not watch his game and make your OWN judgement and stop the discrimination of him because he's a rookie? What the hell does him being a rookie have to do with anything? If you have talent, you have talent period. He's better than Jose at his young age. Well so far in the season anyways. How long will it take to get familiar with Bosh and Barg? Give bosh the ball downlow, on the fast breaks feed either or, whoever is open. On pick and rolls feed Barg if he rolls and is open,etc. You think Jennings started playing basketball yesterday?

Basketball is not rocket science. Like Stan Van gundy said when they kept on asking about Lee's "experience" last year. He said being a rookie, "experience",etc is all overrated. Can you put the ball in the basket or not. And I saw Courtney Lee play well all playoffs including the finals. And it'd be a shame if Stan left Lee on the bench "because he's a rookie". Good thing stan had a brain and didn't hate on Lee because he was a rookie. So my friend, people who are in denial and refuse to accept a persons talent due to the one fact they are a rookie (is that his fault?), not because they don't have the talent, those are the people who are delusional.
Assassin_1
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: Running up in your spot faster than CJ from San Andreas

Post#67 » by Assassin_1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:31 pm

I was thinking we would have picked up Jennings if both DeRozan and Flynn were gone. There was some rumors going around saying he had a bad attitude that I don't really get and the European Game isn't made for him hell just looking at his highschool stats you see he should be a top 5 pick over Evans.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#68 » by Yuri Vaultin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:06 pm

J-Slim wrote:I was thinking we would have picked up Jennings if both DeRozan and Flynn were gone. There was some rumors going around saying he had a bad attitude that I don't really get and the European Game isn't made for him hell just looking at his highschool stats you see he should be a top 5 pick over Evans.

I agree with your post, but have a hard time with the High school stats thing.

Using similar logic Kris Humphries should not only be an olympic swimmer (as he was one of America's best at the age of 10), but also, given his amazing high school basketball and record setting University of Minnesota career he should easily be a top 5 NBA talent.

Please understand, this post is tongue in cheek, however, the fact is pretty much every basketball player in the NBA has an amazing high school career and was the man in their city and/or state. Yes, Jennings was talked about and highly touted during high school, however, his professional work in Europe left little to be desired. There are always players that we could have drafted and that other teams passed on. The New York Knicks must be killing themselves for drafting Hill over Jennings!

However, for every Brandon Jennings there are many, many more Telfairs and Gerald Greens that are projected to be just as good using the same logic, but fall very far.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#69 » by djsunyc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:12 pm

how he played yesterday is what will earn him alot of playing time. very very active. and he will be the beneficiary of wide open jumpers so he needs to work on that part of his game. so far, how can you not like what you see out of the kid?
Maternal
Banned User
And1: 222

Post#70 » by Maternal » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:38 pm

[/quote]You think the team would hand over the starting PG to a rookie guard? With absolutely no familiarity with Bosh, Bargnani?

You're delusional.[/quote]

tkim01 where are you? jennings 55 points
Assassin_1
Banned User

Post#71 » by Assassin_1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:
J-Slim wrote:I was thinking we would have picked up Jennings if both DeRozan and Flynn were gone. There was some rumors going around saying he had a bad attitude that I don't really get and the European Game isn't made for him hell just looking at his highschool stats you see he should be a top 5 pick over Evans.

I agree with your post, but have a hard time with the High school stats thing.

Using similar logic Kris Humphries should not only be an olympic swimmer (as he was one of America's best at the age of 10), but also, given his amazing high school basketball and record setting University of Minnesota career he should easily be a top 5 NBA talent.

Please understand, this post is tongue in cheek, however, the fact is pretty much every basketball player in the NBA has an amazing high school career and was the man in their city and/or state. Yes, Jennings was talked about and highly touted during high school, however, his professional work in Europe left little to be desired. There are always players that we could have drafted and that other teams passed on. The New York Knicks must be killing themselves for drafting Hill over Jennings!

However, for every Brandon Jennings there are many, many more Telfairs and Gerald Greens that are projected to be just as good using the same logic, but fall very far.

Why should we be killing ourselves the Knicks got Douglas who is averaging 21 points per 36 if he was handed first option like Jennings he be doing well trust me and why are there people here dissing Hill? Big men take longer to develop and Hills shown a lot so far he went 5-5 in 10 minutes last game. Back to the discussion those Gerald Greens and Telfairs didn't show hard work while Jennings did and there is even an article on it.
Assassin_1
Banned User

Post#72 » by Assassin_1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:55 pm

When Under Armour hired Stone to get into the basketball endorsement game, all he did was bank his career, his credibility, on a skinny lefty kid who everyone feared would be broken overseas and an afterthought in the 2009 draft. Only, Stone always believed he had a deeper understanding of Jennings.

To Stone, there’s one story that tells it all. There’s a reference to which he always returns. Three years ago, Jennings had come to New York as a high school junior to play in the Elite 24 all-star game that Stone had started, and he won the MVP over players like Michael Beasley(notes) and Kevin Love(notes). The next morning, it was Stone’s job to drive over to the Westin Hotel in Times Square and make sure the kids were awake by 8 a.m. on the way to LaGuardia for flights home. So, Stone walked into the hotel lobby at 6, the elevator doors opened and there was a vision that brought him back to his days growing up in the Bay Area.

“And here comes Brandon walking out with a basketball under his arm, a T-shirt and shorts,” Stone said. “He had just achieved his greatest accomplishment as a high school player, and he’s running out the door to go work out with Ben Gordon(notes). That always stuck with me.”

From Yahoo
Calderon
Banned User
And1: 199

Post#73 » by Calderon » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:32 pm

What teenager basketball player wouldn't jump at the opportunity to play with Ben Gordon? That doesn't impress me.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#74 » by Schad » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:43 pm

J-Slim wrote:Why should we be killing ourselves the Knicks got Douglas who is averaging 21 points per 36 if he was handed first option like Jennings he be doing well trust me and why are there people here dissing Hill? Big men take longer to develop and Hills shown a lot so far he went 5-5 in 10 minutes last game. Back to the discussion those Gerald Greens and Telfairs didn't show hard work while Jennings did and there is even an article on it.

Because there's a significant difference between scoring 9.3 points in 16 minutes -- or putting up 10 points (and five fouls) when DNP-CD'd in half a team's games -- and scoring 25 points a game and leading an undermanned team to a 5-2 record. Not saying that Douglas and Hill won't be fine players, but it's pretty safe to say that neither would be doing the things Jennings has regardless of the number of minutes bestowed upon them.
**** your asterisk.
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#75 » by Lionel Messi » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:51 pm

dillio wrote:
bloodtoavampire wrote:oh man, he is good but I think he has small hands like me. He just seems to lose the ball on dunks a lot.

Lets hope he is luckier than me and that is all that is small :-()

TMI

+1

PS
he's black so i mean...ya'know

Return to Toronto Raptors