ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Bargs get same cred as Jose for 50/40/90?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ADROCK
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Will Bargs get same cred as Jose for 50/40/90? 

Post#21 » by ADROCK » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:27 pm

jrsmith wrote:couldnt care less what cred bargnani gets, a little more concerned as to what happens to the team.

yeah right, the team concerns you? cudda fooled me.all i see in here is posts protecting bosh like yall his mommy.
hkr
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#22 » by hkr » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:32 pm

DarkKnight wrote:It seems to me that people's opinions on players are formed in their first 2 seasons and everything is coloured by that.

As one of Bargnani "detractors" I must say I'm more than willing to praise him if he plays well, but it's just that...

Bargnani this season / career per 36 minutes

rebounds %: 10.7 / 9.6
assists : 1 / 1.1
steals : 0.5 / 0.5
blocks : 1 / 1.1
turnover: 1.8 / 2.0
fouls: 3.9 / 3.8

As you can see, the rebounding improved slightly (still one of very worst in the league, with a nod to Channing Frye) other numbers are pretty much the same, and Bargnani was already average-to-below-average in most areas to begin with. Jose at least has been exceptional at getting assists without turning the ball over no matter how "cheap" you consider his assists are. On the contrary Bargs still just has not shown any above average production outside his scoring prowess.

As a side note, an interesting "cred" study is Troy Murphy. Last season he put up numbers that was mind-boggling in many ways when you consider it's...Troy Murphy. He had 61% TS%, 45% 3PT shooting and 19.1 rebounding %. I know it was probably a fluke season but(i.e. he's unlikely to repeat it) but still it's interesting that not too many people giving Murphy respect for that fine season.
cage
Starter
And1: 11

Post#23 » by cage » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:40 pm

ADROCK wrote:
jrsmith wrote:couldnt care less what cred bargnani gets, a little more concerned as to what happens to the team.

yeah right, the team concerns you? cudda fooled me.all i see in here is posts protecting bosh like yall his mommy.

... said andrea's girlfriend
ADROCK
Banned User

Post#24 » by ADROCK » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:52 pm

cage wrote:
ADROCK wrote:

... said andrea's girlfriend

i have zero fanboy in me unlike most of the bosh lovers in here. i could care less about bargs and if bc trades him id be excited as to what we'd get back same as if we traded bosh . bargs commiting to us for 5 years and 50 mill WHEN HE DIDNT HAVE TO UNTIL THE END OF THIS SEASON is a deal... bosh playing this season looking for his payday of 6 years 130 million AND NOT COMMITTING TO US AND HE CAN WALK AT SEASONS END IF HE WANTS LEAVING US HIGH N DRY isnt...the end.

seriously.i gained allot of respect for bargs doing what he did. he could have played this entire season without a contract and left us in the dark like bosh is doing and got his numbers like bosh is doing and then asked for some crazy figure ....but he didnt.

do any of you even appreciate bargs doing what he did?

he commited to us he commited to this team...whereas do we know what bosh is going to do?is bosh commited to the raptors like we are?

not once have i ever heard bosh say he wants to be a raptor for life.ive heard bargs say that....all i see from bosh is him angling for the max amount of money he can get from this organization or another.
Ari_Emanuel
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,835

Post#25 » by Ari_Emanuel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:59 pm

DarkKnight wrote:That's my point though. Jose has many deficiencies but people were willing to totally ignroe them when faced with his 50/40/90 and A/TO ratio. Will Bargs be given the same based on his 50/40/90 and PPG?

He's already starting to get recognition from the media for his for his offense (see Hollinger, ESPN) so yes if he achieves something like that, he will get more recognition. However, he wont be praised for it unless the raptors defense improves and we win more games or unless improves his individual rebounding statistics. He is a centre after all, and one of the primary role of a centre are to control the paint through rebounding and defensive. All of basketball literature and wisdom from the last 3/4 of a century aren't going to change simply because Bargnani decided to focus on the worng aspects of his game given his size. Therefore, There's nothing unfair about him not receiving praise fo4 50-40-90 as a centre.
neurotik wrote:
Raps Maniac wrote:
Risk101 wrote:Inb4 the ass jokes.

But that's his downside.

No thats his backside.

Lowry's upside is mental and psychological.
isyed
Starter
And1: 313

Post#26 » by isyed » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:04 pm

i have zero fanboy in me unlike most of the bosh lovers in here. i could care less about bargs and if bc trades him id be excited as to what we'd get back same as if we traded bosh . bargs commiting to us for 5 years and 50 mill WHEN HE DIDNT HAVE TO UNTIL THE END OF THIS SEASON is a deal... bosh playing this season looking for his payday of 6 years 130 million AND NOT COMMITTING TO US AND HE CAN WALK AT SEASONS END IF HE WANTS LEAVING US HIGH N DRY isnt...the end.

seriously.i gained allot of respect for bargs doing what he did. he could have played this entire season without a contract and left us in the dark like bosh is doing and got his numbers like bosh is doing and then asked for some crazy figure ....but he didnt.

he commited to us he commited to this team...whereas do we know what bosh is going to do?is bosh commited to the raptors like we are?

not once have i ever heard bosh say he wants to be a raptor for life.ive heard bargs say that....all i see from bosh is him angling for the max amount of money he can get from this organization or another.[/quote]

You have got to be Messaih's long lost cousin or something...lol

Its called the CBA and go and read it. We would have not lost Bargs regardless infact Bargs would have lost more if he didn't sign the deal because of injuries and the oft chance the he sucks again like he did in 2007 ( not likely but still). He did himself by signing the deal now. Bosh too signed his first max deal at the end of his third year if your memory serves you right!!...

I can;t believe how transparent these Bargs fanboys are..like seriously..
Ari_Emanuel
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,835

Post#27 » by Ari_Emanuel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:10 pm

not once have i ever heard bosh say he wants to be a raptor for life.ive heard bargs say that....all i see from bosh is him angling for the max amount of money he can get from this organization or another.

What the hell has Bargnani done for us? Ok he's performing now but he's still getting a pass on his inadequate contributions to rebounding and team defense.

Bargnani committed to us because no one else would have commited to him like we have. BC did him a huge favour giving him the contract we gave him based off only the last half of last season's play. In the open market, Bargnani didn't command 50 million dollars and BC didn't HAVE to give him that money. If anything, Bargnani owes this organization because we stuck out our necks for him, selecting him from obscurity out of europe over more convetional american NCAA picks, and we stuck by him while he struggled his first couple of seasons.

Now if we want Bosh to commit to us, we should commit to him and build around him rather than pussy footing and pretending to build around him, while really acquiring players to satisfy an MLSE marketing agenda.
neurotik wrote:
Raps Maniac wrote:
Risk101 wrote:Inb4 the ass jokes.

But that's his downside.

No thats his backside.

Lowry's upside is mental and psychological.
rtcaino
Bench Warmer
And1: 54

Post#28 » by rtcaino » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:16 am

Well he has a long way to go before achieving that.

However, apart from jose, most 50/40/90 chaps are mvp/hall of fame calibre.

If anything I'd say he'd get as much or more pub. You'd certainly see a lot more serious bargs v dirk discussions.
redjediknight
Junior

Post#29 » by redjediknight » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:06 am

ADROCK wrote:i have zero fanboy in me unlike most of the bosh lovers in here. i could care less about bargs and if bc trades him id be excited as to what we'd get back same as if we traded bosh . bargs commiting to us for 5 years and 50 mill WHEN HE DIDNT HAVE TO UNTIL THE END OF THIS SEASON is a deal... bosh playing this season looking for his payday of 6 years 130 million AND NOT COMMITTING TO US AND HE CAN WALK AT SEASONS END IF HE WANTS LEAVING US HIGH N DRY isnt...the end.

I'm really puzzled. What did AB did? Committed to us 5 years for 50 mil? And you're comparing Bosh for 6 years with 130 mil? And what's the commitment issue?

EDIT: After re-re-re-re-reading the whole thing, I think you can't compare both for committing. Nobody owes anyone. Bargnani deserves that 50 mil, whether you like it or not. As BC said, he is a part of the future of the franchise, and he will continue to improve. He hasn't reached his prime yet--and within those 5 years, he will improve.

With Bosh, he also deserves that 130 mil, whether you like it or not. He is a good player and he's still young. And it's also up to him whether if he'll accept it or not. I'm seeing him accepting the offer to stay in Raptorland tho, with young and good players surrounding him.

Both have weaknesses--for AB his defense and rebounding, and for Bosh--his leadership. And both will improve in due time.
Greater things are yet to come.
A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 51

Post#30 » by A_wildstabatanything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:18 am

TJ Caino wrote:Well he has a long way to go before achieving that.

However, apart from jose, most 50/40/90 chaps are mvp/hall of fame calibre.

If anything I'd say he'd get as much or more pub. You'd certainly see a lot more serious bargs v dirk discussions.

I think t'll be tough for Bargnani to maintain that FG and FT percentage. I was expecting a 47-48 FG% before the season.

Jose never officially accomplished 50/40/90 though. He missed it by .3 last season and failed to meet the requirement for FT attempts the year before that.
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#31 » by Avenger » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 am

There's no way Andrea is finish the season at 40/50/90, atleast not this year. He can get the 3pt % and maybe the free throw % because he has great form but he just doesn't play near the rim to hit that 50 FG%. He's probably as good of a candidate as anybody to reach it sometime in his career though when he improves his post game more and when we get a point guard that will give him the ball there.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#32 » by Undefeated » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:47 am

The hard part is getting the 50 FG% IMO, though I think Bargnani has a shot at it depending on the pace our team will play throughout this season. If the team can increase the tempo meaning our PGs will have to run quite often and penetrate down the opposition’s throat with a Bargnani that's trailing down the lane for an easy dunk or lay up. Bargnani has done that many times when our PGs just run down the opposition. Increasing the tempo should be good for the team as a whole and should offset Bargnani’s ability to play in the paint frequently IMO.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth

Return to Toronto Raptors