ImageImageImageImageImage

The Zan Tabak sticks it to the Leafs

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Sikandar
Junior
And1: 1

Re: The Zan Tabak sticks it to the Leafs 

Post#101 » by Sikandar » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:33 am

We always complain about the Raptors not getting respect by anyone south OR north of the border, but I think there's that same ignorance towards hockey in the States. Hockey is a lot stronger in the States than people think, and the NHL had better attendance than the NBA last season as well. Of course there's a couple struggling teams every year like Phoenix, but they just follow the typical model of crappy team = crappy attendance. When Tampa Bay was winning they had amazing attendance, and I'm sure seasoned Leafs fans remember the great fans in San Jose and Carolina when we faced them in the playoffs. They love their hockey down there and the NHL is doing fine.

As for Toronto, we should just be happy that we live in a city where both teams are supported through good and bad. We should probably focus our attention on keeping the Jays at this point.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#102 » by Mustard_Tiger » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:57 am

I can't laugh at something that isn't funny. Sorry guys.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#103 » by Mustard_Tiger » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:59 am

Huskies1947 wrote:And it's an accomplishment in Hockey? The Leafs made the playoffs, had a few nice runs and lost to teams they should have beaten on paper. You claim that's successful..

I claim that it's more successful than anything the Raptors have ever done in their franchise. I never said they were elite or entirely successful (though the Leafs have been a top 4 team in their league a couple of times this decade, which is pretty good).
mcleex
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#104 » by mcleex » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:20 am

GO LEAFS GO

GO RAPS GO
Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Post#105 » by Sn0wman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:33 am

mastertang wrote:
cujo2k3 wrote:ya, cuz the leafs' 13 championships are nothing to compared to the raptors' zero :roll:

Were you alive last time they won a championship?

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
ghostinthepost
Sixth Man
And1: 75

Post#106 » by ghostinthepost » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:26 am

hahah so dope
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,172

Post#107 » by Huskies1947 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:37 am

Sikandar wrote:We always complain about the Raptors not getting respect by anyone south OR north of the border, but I think there's that same ignorance towards hockey in the States. Hockey is a lot stronger in the States than people think, and the NHL had better attendance than the NBA last season as well. Of course there's a couple struggling teams every year like Phoenix, but they just follow the typical model of crappy team = crappy attendance. When Tampa Bay was winning they had amazing attendance, and I'm sure seasoned Leafs fans remember the great fans in San Jose and Carolina when we faced them in the playoffs. They love their hockey down there and the NHL is doing fine.

As for Toronto, we should just be happy that we live in a city where both teams are supported through good and bad. We should probably focus our attention on keeping the Jays at this point.

One, it's only the hardcore fans that attend NHL games (and they are great!). Two, Attendance only means so much to the NBA which has better endorsement deals and TV contract which the NHL can only dream of having. The NHL is a gate driven league, the NBA? Not so much...

you still need gate revenues don't get me wrong.. but it's not as big of a deal in the NBA than it is in the NHL.

What you see are the hardcore fans, and believe it or not, they don't represent the overall population of any given state.

The only states where the NHL is thriving in are Minnesota, Pennsylvania, DC (because the caps have ovechkin), Northern NY state, and give or take Detroit (if other teams are competiting). If a team wins it will catch on as a novelty, but it's never gonna do any better, and that's just the way it is. Personally I just want to see Canada compete in sports that are not niche.
WesWesley
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#108 » by WesWesley » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:18 pm

lol @ people questioning the validity of the JOKE.
5:26 LAC - B. Davis misses a layup
Winggfly
Analyst
And1: 289

Post#109 » by Winggfly » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:29 pm

WesWesley wrote:lol @ people questioning the validity of the JOKE.

Its ridiculous, figure of speech doesn't work on this board.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#110 » by Veggamattic » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:51 pm

CZAR85 wrote:I really hope the fans who love this also do not whine when hockey fans bash basketball.

I will never understand this hate that basketball fans have for hockey. Hockey fans may dismiss basketball but they don't have an irrational hatred for the sport or Raptors like so many of you sadly do.

Let me explain. If you are a basketball fan over 30 then you lived through a time when finding a hoops highlight on Canadian TV was almost impossible. Usually if I sat through the first 22-23 minutes of hockey I could see a small blurb of hoops highlights on some nights during global sports. I was a Darrell Griffith fan when he came out of Louisville. I didn't even see one highlight of him for four years after he joined the NBA because he went to a bad small market team.

What you are seeing is a reaction to hockey saturation so deep that it interferes with a "SPORTS FANS" ability to be a fan.

This is why I believe you see such a situation in this city.
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#111 » by Veggamattic » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:55 pm

One more thing...I remember calling in a radio talk show in '91 I think. That was the year Shaq and Eric Lindros were about to go pro. Mark Hebscher was the guest anjd the host (John somebody) didn't even know who Shaq was!!! At the time he was the concensus #1 pick.
sl64
Bench Warmer

Post#112 » by sl64 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:03 pm

Veggamattic wrote:
CZAR85 wrote:I really hope the fans who love this also do not whine when hockey fans bash basketball.

I will never understand this hate that basketball fans have for hockey. Hockey fans may dismiss basketball but they don't have an irrational hatred for the sport or Raptors like so many of you sadly do.

Let me explain. If you are a basketball fan over 30 then you lived through a time when finding a hoops highlight on Canadian TV was almost impossible. Usually if I sat through the first 22-23 minutes of hockey I could see a small blurb of hoops highlights on some nights during global sports. I was a Darrell Griffith fan when he came out of Louisville. I didn't even see one highlight of him for four years after he joined the NBA because he went to a bad small market team.

What you are seeing is a reaction to hockey saturation so deep that it interferes with a "SPORTS FANS" ability to be a fan.

Even now, Canadian channels try to do this. On TSN, SC will often run EVERY SINGLE hockey highlight, then the Raps game, then some hockey analysis, and only at the end will they quickly run through a few more NBA highlights. Part of the reason why I never watch SC any more. Thank god for the internets.

To illustrate how this mentality is still present... I wanted to buy a copy of Bill Simmons' new basketball book... which was only #1 on the NY Times non-fiction list, no big deal or anything... well, guess what? Only one Chapters/Indigo location in Toronto had it, and they had two copies at the back of the second floor, tucked away with the other 4 or 5 basketball books they were selling, even though it's a recently-released bestseller.

The idea that people here only care about hockey is so deeply ingrained that the changing reality of the TO sports scene is totally ignored. That's where the frustration is coming from.
Here's the thing about Chris Bosh ... If Joey Graham had longer arms, he'd be just as effective at PF." --SuigintouEV
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,172

Post#113 » by Huskies1947 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:13 pm

sl64 wrote:
Veggamattic wrote:

Even now, Canadian channels try to do this. On TSN, SC will often run EVERY SINGLE hockey highlight, then the Raps game, then some hockey analysis, and only at the end will they quickly run through a few more NBA highlights. Part of the reason why I never watch SC any more. Thank god for the internets.

To illustrate how this mentality is still present... I wanted to buy a copy of Bill Simmons' new basketball book... which was only #1 on the NY Times non-fiction list, no big deal or anything... well, guess what? Only one Chapters/Indigo location in Toronto had it, and they had two copies at the back of the second floor, tucked away with the other 4 or 5 basketball books they were selling, even though it's a recently-released bestseller.

The idea that people here only care about hockey is so deeply ingrained that the changing reality of the TO sports scene is totally ignored. That's where the frustration is coming from.

That book about the Leafs by Grange and Feschuk (who cover the Raptors :() was #1 in Canada the first week it came out. That's a joke
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Post#114 » by Coach Smiley » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:46 pm

man I hate hockey they shove that crap down everyone's throats it's only natural that some people throw it back up, that's what happens when you impose pop culture on people not interested
sl64
Bench Warmer

Post#115 » by sl64 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:49 pm

What bugs me most is the way that the hockey oversaturation reinforces itself. When they're only talking about hockey, it creates the perception that people are only interested in hockey (which isn't true in TO at least), which leads networks to focus more on hockey, and so on...
Here's the thing about Chris Bosh ... If Joey Graham had longer arms, he'd be just as effective at PF." --SuigintouEV
squeekysneakers
Junior

Post#116 » by squeekysneakers » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:48 pm

The haockey market really is oversaturated...especially on TV. You will get Nick Kypreos talking about what the Maple Leafs ate for breakfast and a casual conversation he had with Doug Wilson before you get clips of Lebron scoring 60pts....sometimes even before Raptor highlights. It is a little crazy sometimes. The playoffs are even worse. Thos hockey "analysts" go on forever showing clips of a game we just saw clips for....it really upsets the bball fan in me. Not that Basketball should be first all the time but we could do with a little less "hockey talk" from former borderline NHLers when we could be watching clips of a Lakers/Nuggets game or Monday Night Football or whatever.
ZanTabernak
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#117 » by ZanTabernak » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:14 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:
_venom_ wrote:The Leafs have made the conference finals twice in the last 10 years...The Raptors have gotten out of the 1st rd once......just saying.

Not to mention the 13 championships (second most in the league).

None since 1967. All of them in a 6 team league where you have a 1 in 6 chance of a championship.
RapsBulls4evr
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#118 » by RapsBulls4evr » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Nice indeed. :)
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#119 » by jaymeister15 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:27 pm

I haven't opened this thread till now, no idea what it was going to be about..but yeah, pretty funny, I walk by one right outside my office every day (university and king).

To be honest tho, hadn't actually bothered to read the writing, just thought it was some mlse thing to promote both their teams or something.
RapsBulls4evr
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#120 » by RapsBulls4evr » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:39 pm

satyr9 wrote:
The wonderful foe list wrote:This post was made by Mustard_Tiger who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

This post was made by Mustard_Tiger who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

This post was made by Mustard_Tiger who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

The four in a row grumbles finally made me pull this little tool out of its case again. Please stop quoting him so my wonderful peace won't be broken. :lol:

He's such annoying poster sometimes (most of the time), he joined this year and has over 4000 posts already, lol, now I see how he does it... by spamming. With so many forums on RealGM, it's easy to accumulate many posts, but this guy... *shakes*.

These Leafs fans are still leaving in the past. :biggrin:

Return to Toronto Raptors