ImageImageImageImageImage

Stein: Bosh loves Toronto, will most likely stay put

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Stein: Bosh loves Toronto, will most likely stay put 

Post#1 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:16 pm

Stein is as well-connected as anyone, so this is music to my ears:

So I believe the fresh guidance I've been given suggesting that Toronto -- as we stand some 230 days away from free agency -- is Bosh's most likely destination for the 2010-11 season and beyond.

If the Raps' season unravels and they fail to make the playoffs -- after an expensive summer of renovations highlighted by the acquisition of Hedo Turkoglu and Bosh's best friend from college (Jarrett Jack) -- then things could obviously change again. And I don't think anything written here will prevent teams from lobbing in trade offers for Bosh between now and the trade deadline in February, which could always change the Raptors' plans.

But if you're asking me today to predict what happens with Bosh next summer, I say he stays. Every indication I get is that Bosh likes his current setup in Canada much more than us Yankee outsiders imagine.

As recently as mid-September, I think it's fair to say the consensus was that Bosh was the big name most likely to leave his current team in the summer. But all of our checking with Raptors insiders suggests otherwise.

Teammates Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani recently have made public declarations of their belief that Bosh loves Toronto as a city and doesn't want to leave, which meshes with everything I've heard in the past week. The distinct feeling I was left with is that Bosh wants to be the undisputed star on his team and wants to play in a happening metropolis he enjoys. The Raptors and Toronto can make those things happen.

More at this link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime ... -091114-15
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Re: Stein: Bosh likely to stay in Toronto 

Post#2 » by ghuytro » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:19 pm

:o

Why, Mark Stein almost sounds humble!
garbageman
Junior
And1: 2

Post#3 » by garbageman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:Hell yes:

So I believe the fresh guidance I've been given suggesting that Toronto -- as we stand some 230 days away from free agency -- is Bosh's most likely destination for the 2010-11 season and beyond.

If the Raps' season unravels and they fail to make the playoffs -- after an expensive summer of renovations highlighted by the acquisition of Hedo Turkoglu and Bosh's best friend from college (Jarrett Jack) -- then things could obviously change again. And I don't think anything written here will prevent teams from lobbing in trade offers for Bosh between now and the trade deadline in February, which could always change the Raptors' plans.

But if you're asking me today to predict what happens with Bosh next summer, I say he stays. Every indication I get is that Bosh likes his current setup in Canada much more than us Yankee outsiders imagine.

Lots more at this link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime ... -091114-15

booyakasha
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#4 » by Lionel Messi » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Well he's right, most people south of our border think Bosh doesnt like Toronto and that Toronto is a sucky place to live.
Which is completely wrong, Bosh loves Toronto and Toronto is a great place to live. This is all those dumbass espn/tnt people's fault that made completely baseless claims to the national public and clearlythey ate it up.
Yes, im talking to you jalen rose and stephen a*s smith
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Re: Stein: Bosh most likely will stay in Toronto 

Post#5 » by hoop_head » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 pm

That's a fair take on the chances of Bosh staying. If we fail to make the playoffs, all options are on the table. Making the playoffs would give Bosh reason to think long-term about his career with Toronto (I hope).
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#6 » by J-Roc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Certainly interesting. I got the sense the "new Bosh" was more about showcasing himself to the NBA.

But...with a potential worst defence in history this season actually could unravel. We need a few more games, including a regular east coast schedule before we can see if it'll be a nice .500 season or something worse.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,005

Post#7 » by C Court » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:26 pm

His Toronto buddy Doug Smith has set the record straight.

I think Bosh re-signs IF the Raptors have a winning season.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
alevirfe
Starter
And1: 1,676

Post#8 » by alevirfe » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:28 pm

I think players know Toronto is one of the better cities in the league. Great fans, great city, great nightlife, and an organization with money. Stein IMO is ESPN's best/most informed writer, so I'm happy to hear this. I really hope we're able to keep Chris. He is the franchise and as much as some dumb fans on here complain, he is easily our best player and only chance at winning.
mintsa wrote: Yeah….the “new car smell” is starting to wear off with Scottie.

bongmarley wrote:I thought he was supposed to be an elite defender. He is horrible. On the perimeter he gets blown by everytime Its really bad
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,038

Post#9 » by Schad » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:28 pm

J-Roc wrote:Certainly interesting. I got the sense the "new Bosh" was more about showcasing himself to the NBA.

He doesn't need to...no one league-wide would have hesitated to give the 23/10 Bosh the full max, either.
**** your asterisk.
A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 51

Re: Stein: Bosh loves Toronto, will most likely stay put 

Post#10 » by A_wildstabatanything » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:30 pm

I still get the sense that Chris intends on leaving, but it's nice to see an article that doesn't dismiss the city and franchise as an afterthought.
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#11 » by McFurious1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:31 pm

Bosh knowing Bargnani, Turk, Calderon, and Jack will all be around for the next 3+ years helps as well.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#12 » by J-Roc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:38 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
J-Roc wrote:Certainly interesting. I got the sense the "new Bosh" was more about showcasing himself to the NBA.

He doesn't need to...no one league-wide would have hesitated to give the 23/10 Bosh the full max, either.

There were doubters over the summer. Jack Armstrong was saying all summer that teams...even the Raps....would need to give long consideration to what to do. But hey, maybe you have some league-wide sources, so I'll take your word for it.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#13 » by Mustard_Tiger » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:42 pm

I hope not. There's still an entire season of mediocrity left that could change his mind.
redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#14 » by redred9 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:54 pm

good to hear. Now our guys have to find the chemistry (so lacking) and intensity (looking at you bargs). Gonna be a fun ride in any case..
Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Post#15 » by Kaizen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Let's hope he knows what he is talking about.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,545

Post#16 » by s e n s i » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:04 pm

Mustard_Tiger: I guess that means another 7 years of mediocrity.

edit* damn, didn't notice he already posted in this thread.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#17 » by hoop_head » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:I hope not. There's still an entire season of mediocrity left that could change his mind.

You really don't like Bosh's game, eh MT? That's cool. Would you be OK with Bargnani at PF?

What if, my friend, you could snap your fingers and Bosh would net you Pau Gasol straight-up? What about Bosh for Chris Kaman and Blake Griffin? What would be your prime choice of return in trading Chris Bosh?
alpha
Starter
And1: 179

Post#18 » by alpha » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:14 pm

OHHHHH he loves us..he really loves us...lol
what a bunch of contrived shite.If He REALLY loved us he would sign not play this stupid ass game
This is my biggest knock against him
Don't play the I'll only stay if we win card
Play the I'm gonna take this team to the finals no matter what card.
Start by showing some LOYALTY.

ooops big money doesn't breed loyalty anymore does it?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,066

Post#19 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:20 pm

It was always obvious that Bosh would re-sign if given the opportunity. Now if BC wants him back at the max is an entirely different story.
There There
Veteran
And1: 201

Post#20 » by There There » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:30 pm

alpha wrote:OHHHHH he loves us..he really loves us...lol
what a bunch of contrived ****.If He REALLY loved us he would sign not play this stupid ass game
This is my biggest knock against him
Don't play the I'll only stay if we win card
Play the I'm gonna take this team to the finals no matter what card.
Start by showing some LOYALTY.

ooops big money doesn't breed loyalty anymore does it?

Why shouldn't he follow the whole process through just as he's doing now ?

By waiting to sign, he puts pressure on the organization to prove they are willing to do whatever it takes to build a winning team around him.

He's deciding where he's committing himself to for the next 6 years. These will be the prime years of his career. He's going to get max no matter where he goes, if that is what he's after. But by waiting, he's asking for a commitment from the organization. What's wrong with that ?

Return to Toronto Raptors