ImageImageImageImageImage

Wright:PG stopper

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Re: Wright:PG stopper 

Post#21 » by Undefeated » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah, Wright has been a pretty solid defensive stopper, though I don’t like him closing out the games for us. I prefer Wright to play through the first three quarters so he can gives us stops so this team doesn’t need to fight back in the fourth quarter.

If the game is still close, I rather roll out DeRozan. Opponents have been sagging off DeRozan more than Wright and since DeRozan is hitting the 3-PT shot at a much better clip, better off to have DeRozan out there. DD’s defense isn’t that far off either and rebounding is key in the 4th Q for this team as we failed a couple of times to hustle for rebounds and crash for them.

DeRozan defended Chris Paul pretty well too. Don’t know why Triano won’t give DeRozan more opportunities to defend PGs like Wright.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,817

Post#22 » by junot111 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:59 pm

I think this is why he needs to start. He thinks that because he's coming off the bench he has to be a "sparkplug that makes an immediate impact", and being in Dallas he's seen Jason Terry come off the bench and score. That's what he thinks a 6th man does. That's why he needs to start so he doesn't think like that.
C.Boshly
Analyst
And1: 605

Post#23 » by C.Boshly » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:15 pm

I think Wright feels pressure to score because of the coaching staff.

Look at Wright's first few games with us. Extremely solid defence and a limited number of shot attempts. He played within the flow of the offence.

Despite his excellent defence Wright was not given more minutes or a starting position.

That is when Wright starting looking for his own shot more and we see now some of the boneheaded plays.

IMO Wright should have been our starter from opening night. I like Demar but Wright is a proven vet who brings exactly what our starters need and has proven himself a capable starter in the NBA. He is cleary trying to grab more minutes by proving himself as a legit offensive contributor which, we know, he is not.
greed416
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#24 » by greed416 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:54 pm

yes he sucks at scoring

but you have to understand

1) to keep him happy on defense, players need touches on offence once in a while, but yes maybe he shoots a lil too much

2)if he shoots really little... it will let the opposing defense to play back more for the help D. so his aggressiveness does help....

3) he wasn't a star coming in, remember that guys... he was just a trading chip player.... the only reason he gets so much time is cause our defense is terrible. so you can't expect him to be an awesome all around player.... if he didn't have those offensive problems he did, than he wouldn't of been traded so easily like that... and been a higher profile player...

i just see him as an upgraded jamario moon
redeye514
Analyst
And1: 4,791

Post#25 » by redeye514 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:13 pm

After 3 games, I was sold. My signature says it all.

Wright is the perfect guy to be this teams 'glue piece' for the next 5 years, ala Battier / Bowen / Posey / Raja.

As long as he trims down the wild offence and focuses on 'spot' offence, this guy is solid. Wright is a baller, simply put.
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#26 » by SpaceJam » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Toine has to stick to hard nosed defense, and has to stick those open jays. Although I like it when I see him slash to the basket...seems like he and Belli are the only wing slashers at the 2 spot we have.
_________
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#27 » by Phenomenologist » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:28 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:Its funny how we traded a taller version of Wright, in Hump. Both took alot of ill advised shots, but AW actually started passing on his wild drives in the 2nd half abit which was good.

To the Q tho, I think he should always guard the best perimeter player 1-3, I would say even the occasional 4 dependant on match ups. Fights thru screens, moves his feet well, good rotation, and weak side rebounder. I think easily our best D, until Reggie gets back. I think Amir deserves luv too

Hump was and is nothing like Wright. Kris is actually a solid player who was horribly underutilized on our team. Wright is not an NBA player.
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#28 » by Phenomenologist » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:12 pm

greed416 wrote:yes he sucks at scoring

but you have to understand

1) to keep him happy on defense, players need touches on offence once in a while, but yes maybe he shoots a lil too much

i just see him as an upgraded jamario moon

Are you **** kidding me!? To keep him happy on defence? The guy is a minimum player who is lucky as **** to still be in the league. He should be thanking his lucky **** stars and working doubly hard on defence, not getting babied into touches.

As for his being an upgraded version of Jamario Moon...this is one of the most laughably false statements that I've ever heard spewed on this website. I doubt if there's a single metric in support of it and certainly my eyes see the exact opposite. Moon was much maligned for shooting to many long J's last season and, yet, he hit a passable 34.5% of them (and is about 34% for his career). Wright hit a hair over 30% last season (and is at 29% on his career).

Wright is a terrible, terrible basketball player. And that so many on this board see him as even a short-term "answer" is a joke (those who think he's a long-term answer are just insane). People, our team (up until a game or two ago) was en route to historical defensive futility. As it is, we're still second-last, barely ahead of Memphis and well behind the mighty ... Knicks.
draft
Starter
And1: 8

Post#29 » by draft » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:17 pm

He's shooting in the low 30's. He should only be taking open shots but he tries to "create" way too much. He can't beat anybody and usually dribbles right into the defense. Triano is giving him a long leach because he plays defense.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#30 » by J Dilla » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Funny thing is in college he could dribble a bit and attack defenses. In the NBA, the coaches don't let him do much on offense which is why he's declining and looks at his best when he's a spot up shooter. I think Triano's letting him do some things offensively and if it doesn't show anything, expect Triano to pull him from games if he does some stupid **** on the offensive end again.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#31 » by Kabookalu » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:07 pm

I said this in the PG thread, I strolled over to the Mavericks board curious on how Kris Humphries was doing, and a Raptors fan created a thread asking about Antoine Wright. Seems like he NEVER did the idiotic things he has been doing with us. The only time he ever did anything with the ball was shoot corner 3 pointers. Their only problem with him was that he sucked at making 3 pointers.

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Is that just going off what the Mavs stats guy said? Because I haven't noticed that here. On offense, playing with the starters would essentially make him an SF, because Hedo plays like a 2 and Wright can just spot up in the corner where he's been fairly effective. On defense he seems more effective guarding 2s and 1s than 3s. I was pretty disappointed to see him not even try and contest Novak shooting from 3

Aside from one unit, all of our most effective units have Wright playing small forward, and our worst units have Wright playing shooting guard.

Return to Toronto Raptors