ImageImageImageImageImage

the evolution of chris bosh

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,746
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

the evolution of chris bosh 

Post#1 » by Boogie! » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:17 am

chris bosh is turning into a legit superstar and it's all because he's starting to look like the best garbage man in the nba - in a good way. we always knew chris had talent. he's a very skilled big man. and this talent allowed him to make a name for himself in the league. but now he's hustling and leaving it all on the floor. he's still got his defensive flaws and as i stated before i would really like him to anchor the d and pride himself on getting stops and blocking shots. but despite his faults, he's been very impressive this year. idk how long he can keep this up and if fatigue will set in, but right now he's showing a lot of effort on the floor and has been very impressive. so instead of being negative all the time let's give it up for chris.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Re: the evolution of chris bosh 

Post#2 » by J Dilla » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:20 am

I love Bosh and I'm not being a dick here, but there are a 130 million reasons for this evolution.

I could see him maintaining this level of play until he gets his contract, then we all know how players go to sleep after getting their deals. Not saying Bosh will do the same, but I always have that "Get Rich, stop trying" concern with athletes.
edgehead411
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,142

Post#3 » by edgehead411 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:23 am

Even if he goes to sleep after getting his contract

Bosh>>>Bargnani

Colangelo needs to trade Bargs while his value is high. Package in Wright, Banks and get a defensive center in return. My ideal scenario would be Bargnani + Calderon for Biedrins and Ellis
PM me if interested in writing about the Toronto Raptors!
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#4 » by J Dilla » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:26 am

edgehead411 wrote:Even if he goes to sleep after getting his contract

Bosh>>>Bargnani

Colangelo needs to trade Bargs while his value is high. Package in Wright, Banks and get a defensive center in return. My ideal scenario would be Bargnani + Calderon for Biedrins and Ellis

Keep dreaming.

Colangelo will cut off his balls and permanently tape them on his forehead before trading Bargnani. If anything, it'll be Bosh that will be traded. Bosh isn't Colangelo's guy, he's Grunwald's guy and GMs will not give up on someone they heavily invested their reputation on.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#5 » by sanity » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:28 am

Still hasn't improved much on his defense... but still, he's a premiere scoring forward in this league, and those who can get to the line ~10 times a game are rare. I'd like to have him back, but its up to Colangelo to tweak the roster and provide him with players/better coach who can complement his game better.

I think we can see Bosh play at a much higher level if his teammates were to give him more support. That in itself probably translates into much of the fatigue concerns (Ex. carrying the team on his back through consecutive possessions going up against 2-3 defenders to draw fouls). I like seeing him do those things, but I cringe at the thought of that kind of play catching up to his body's limitations.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#6 » by Kabookalu » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:31 am

As I always state, I wish his passing would improve but he's been an absolute beast so far this season. He did a much better job of passing in tonight's game but in the first quarter he took some ridiculous shots.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,746
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#7 » by Boogie! » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:41 am

edgehead411 wrote:Even if he goes to sleep after getting his contract

Bosh>>>Bargnani

lol at defensive center and then suggesting biedrins. not to mention adding defensive stopper ellis to the deal to make up for calderon's deficiencies.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#8 » by sanity » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:47 am

His passing could be a lot better, but imo the onus is on players to run screens better and set actual picks for eachother. We're probably one of the single worst teams in the league when it comes to cutters and creating off-ball screens/mismatches.

If you watch Bosh with the rock in the post being crowded, much of the time guys are standing still. He definitely has the length/wiriness about him to find cutters and fire bullets to the corner perimeter but guys just aren't getting themselves open. As it stands those plays seem rather risky and my guess is that's why we really don't see him passing -at all-. On Team USA he was actually more of a competent passer in that sense, but on this team, there are certain guys that really can't handle passes well (Bosh himself is one of them, but I'm leaning more to Bargs --- he tends to spaz out sometimes or brings the ball low making him susceptible to swipes).
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#9 » by Mustard_Tiger » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:53 am

Let me know when his evolution includes the ability to play defense. Until then...cool, I guess.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#10 » by Kabookalu » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:55 am

Most of our plays are Bosh in the ISO so there's no point in our guys running around wasting their energy trying to get open when they all know Bosh is going to hoist one up or drive to the paint. Where I'm particularly critical of him is his passing out of double teams. He's pretty average at it but often times he doesn't always make the best decisions under these circumstances.
itbobby007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,825

Post#11 » by itbobby007 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:00 am

MT, give it a rest. Outside of maybe 5 or 6 players in the NBA, you can't find a 1a, 1b guy who is a good 2 way player. You are so hell bent about Bosh improving his D, without realizing that you will never be able to find a player that you can't find fault in outside of the Kobe/Wade/Lebron's of the league.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#12 » by Mustard_Tiger » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:02 am

itbobby007 wrote:MT, give it a rest. Outside of maybe 5 or 6 players in the NBA, you can't find a 1a, 1b guy who is a good 2 way player. You are so hell bent about Bosh improving his D, without realizing that you will never be able to find a player that you can't find fault in outside of the Kobe/Wade/Lebron's of the league.

There are plenty of 2-way players in this league. Most of them aren't as efficient on Bosh on the offensive end, but that really isn't the point.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,794

Post#13 » by vini_vidi_vici » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:16 am

Boogie! wrote:]so instead of being negative all the time let's give it up for chris.

J Dilla wrote:I love Bosh and I'm not being a dick here, but

I could see him maintaining this level of play until he gets his contract, then we all know how players go to sleep after getting their deals.

sanity wrote:Still hasn't improved much on his defense...

Choker wrote:As I always state, I wish his passing would improve

sanity wrote:His passing could be a lot better, but

Mustard_Tiger wrote:Let me know when his evolution includes the ability to play defense.

Choker wrote: He's pretty average at it but often times he doesn't always make the best decisions under these circumstances.

Hell there was even a Bargs trade thrown in there. You know I think the thread is supposed to be positive, I guess not. I love that Chris has made an efort to go to the line more, because it does so much to help our team, despite its deficiencies. I also love the more hes crashing the boards on the offensive ends, two things last year I was hoping we would improve upon this year, getting to the line and OReb. Regardless of what longevity he'll have this has been one of the best months for a Raptor ive seen.
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#14 » by Kabookalu » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:23 am

I did give Bosh my two seconds of nuthugging coupled with my criticism, you don't have to completely and thoroughly act like you're sucking the guys you know what to be positive. You wanted nothing but praise? Go to the church of Bosh for that one.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,794

Post#15 » by vini_vidi_vici » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:46 am

Choker wrote:I did give Bosh my two seconds of nuthugging coupled with my criticism, you don't have to completely and thoroughly act like you're sucking the guys you know what to be positive. You wanted nothing but praise? Go to the church of Bosh for that one.

Actually I have criticism of every Raptors, but my point was Boogie was looking for optimism, thus the difference. Im not saying im holier than thou, or that Chris is devoid of criticism, its just I think more to the point that we on the Raps board are constantly negative and this was about giving the man his due, and staying positive. We have every other thread to be negative in.
D-Wins-RingsIMO
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: TORONTO ... where worst DRtg in the league happens!

Post#16 » by D-Wins-RingsIMO » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:03 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:Let me know when his evolution includes the ability to play defense. Until then...cool, I guess.

that's fair but at the same time - most other teams in this league would accept him for what he is and hide his deficiencies by the players they surround him with .... at least maybe not initially but definitely given how he's scoring the ball now.

Ok C is like the polar opposite of our lineup. They've gone to the extreme of trying to find 4 at least average defensive players around KD on the floor (and potentially 3 very good defenders), we've blown our brains out with all scorers.

But at the same time - Are you that much more thrilled with our team if Bosh goes and he's traded into a package that includes Horford or Noah?

I love both of those guys and they'll give you what you crave but I don't think it makes our team better.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,269

Post#17 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:15 pm

I agree with the OP. It brought a tear to my eyes watching Bosh fighting for loose balls and going after the boards hard. Just when I thought it couldnt get any better, I saw him defer a few times late in the fourth. He is finally beginning to understand whats its going to take to win in this league.

I think he might end up being a leader yet.
inbadtaste
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#18 » by inbadtaste » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:11 pm

I don't think fatigue is something we need to worry about. I assume the fear of this relates to last year when he came out strong and then fizzled. Circumstances are so different this year. He didn't play in the Olympics and he's averaging 5 minutes less a game.

I might be overly optimistic in saying this but I really think he can keep it up.
Check out http://inbadtaste.net, your source for Toronto sports. We are also looking for writers for the Raptors, Leafs, Jays, TFC and Bills. Email us if you are interested.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#19 » by SkywalkerAC » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:22 pm

the modern Karl Malone
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#20 » by Undefeated » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:04 pm

A lot of people say Bosh can’t pass out of double teams, I have to sort of disagree. Sure, Bosh doesn’t have best the court vision to kick it out from the post all the way to the perimeter precisely on a regular basis, though I’ve seen Bosh passing out of double teams from the post and the passes are pretty fancy too, to bigs like Bargnani, Amir and Rasho for easy dunks and lay-ups. If Bargnani would get inside when Bosh has the ball on doubles, I'm positive it would work out really nice.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth

Return to Toronto Raptors