ImageImageImageImageImage

Demar DeRozen shouldn't be starting PERIOD

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Crazy_NBA_Fan
Veteran
And1: 383

Demar DeRozen shouldn't be starting PERIOD 

Post#1 » by Crazy_NBA_Fan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:28 pm

I know Demar DeRozen is a rookie and all, but he is obviously not ready to be starting for the Raptors. His numbers haven't been effective, and Belinelli and Wright are clearly more deserving from the way they have been playing. If I had to choose between the 3, Belinelli would get the nod. I think what we have here is a case of Triano being afraid to bench one of BC's top draft picks. Sam Mitchell would have never been starting DD with players like Wright and Belinelli alongside him. That's one aspect that I liked about Mitchell, he played the players that were the most effective. You guys can say he stunted Andrea's growth all you want, but we all know that wasn't mainly the case, considerng he still has troubles of consistency today as we speak.
GamePoint
Starter
And1: 109

Re: Demar DeRozen shouldn't be starting PERIOD 

Post#2 » by GamePoint » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:35 pm

Marco is most effective for us off the bench.

In the starting 5, he won't get the amount of looks or touches he'd see off the bench. He has the green light when he subs in.

DD is the perfect fit in the starting 5. The only person I could see having a chance at replacing DD is Wright, and even that's a long shot.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,038

Post#3 » by Schad » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Here's the thing, though: DeRozan addresses our needs in the starting lineup more than the other two. He is by far the best rebounder, he's surprisingly good at sliding down from the wing to double and contest shots, and he doesn't do anything stupid.

Wright, on the other hand, is 12 pounds of stupid stuffed into a bag designed only for 2 pounds of mild inanity, and while Belinelli is a very good shooter and passer we need those skills with our reserve group (which is somewhat passing-adverse) more than our starters, IMO.
**** your asterisk.
chsh22
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#4 » by chsh22 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Demar has been doing pretty much what we need him to be doing. Giving either Wright or Belinelli the starter's job would actually weaken our D.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:If you were going to give the raps board an enema, you'd stick the tube in this thread.
kedineking
Senior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by kedineking » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:38 pm

i think at times his D bin the best. all he needs to do is hit the open shot and no one would say anything about his game right now. we all new he was raw and EVERYONE said it would take 2 years or more and u still wanted him in the starting lineup but now that u all see want we all thought would happen u change ur mind i dont get it. he dont play the 4th and he dont play the 2nd so wats the big deal ?
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#6 » by Mustard_Tiger » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Your name suits you, OP.
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#7 » by Indiana Jones » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Mustard_Tiger wrote:Your name suits you, OP.

+1
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#8 » by Volcano » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Demar's been abused on defense a number of times, but I'm fine with him starting
A_wildstabatanything
Lead Assistant
And1: 51

Post#9 » by A_wildstabatanything » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:52 pm

Get out of the way rook!

That about sums up Demar's start to the season.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,460

Post#10 » by Bankai » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:55 pm

DeMar shouldnt be starting cause Wright/Marco should be starting thread #987984. Its not about putting your best players in the starting lineup, its all about who fits with the starting lineup and who is more suited coming off the bench. The lineup is set and looks fine. It only comes down to distribution of minutes at this point.
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#11 » by Phenomenologist » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:56 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:Here's the thing, though: DeRozan addresses our needs in the starting lineup more than the other two. He is by far the best rebounder, he's surprisingly good at sliding down from the rim to double and contest shots, and he doesn't do anything stupid.

Wright, on the other hand, is 12 pounds of stupid stuffed into a bag designed only for 2 pounds of mild inanity, and while Belinelli is a very good shooter and passer we need those skills with our reserve group (which is somewhat passing-adverse) more than our starters, IMO.

Yes. Just ... yes.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#12 » by Southward1 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:59 pm

-The kid has played fine, he looks invisible sometimes but it's better than him getting killed out there
-He plays within himself unlike Wright
-He's an above average rebounder who needs consistent minutes or he won't improve. I thought everybody wanted this team to get younger
-No patience
-He gets no calls from the refs whatsoever. I've seen some horrible calls from the refs against just because he's a rookie. I expect those calls to suddenly disappear next year.
DomoKun
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#13 » by DomoKun » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Don't knock it... Demar has shown he plays well with the starting lineup, he can't get down on himself because of a lack of playing time. If he knows his PT is limited, then he's gotta push himself hard on both ends.

otoh, I think Wright should be used as a spot player only, a defensive stopper whenever the opposing team's offense starts going off. Someone has to tell him to stop with the MJ imitation.

Just keep the rotation to Jack-Amir-Marco, and Reggie when he comes back, and keep Antoine until the situation arises.
Grizzled
Starter

Post#14 » by Grizzled » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:Here's the thing, though: DeRozan addresses our needs in the starting lineup more than the other two. He is by far the best rebounder, he's surprisingly good at sliding down from the wing to double and contest shots, and he doesn't do anything stupid.

AND, we’re trying to develop DD. He’s a raw rookie and we need to give him minutes and be patient with him. This is the role we thought would be best for him going into the season and so far that seems to have been a correct assessment. He’s not hurting us a lot right now and he’s even contributing in some key areas. I’m sure we’re getting as much and more than we’d hoped for out of him at this point.
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,953

Post#15 » by Blazing_royale » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:11 pm

when your team has the best offence in the league and your starting C is only avging 5 boards and your rookie wing is the best rebounder of the other chicken wings on the bench than you know you need some demar in there

/end
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#16 » by Kabookalu » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:15 pm

Like already said, we need Belinelli coming off the bench because he can get hot any minute. We need that type of instant scoring off the bench, not in the starting lineup where he'll be taking shots away from Calderon, Bargnani, Bosh, and Turkoglu. Ditto for Wright. DeRozan is perfect because he's a hustle player that plays decent defense and is a great rebounder. He's been inconsistent this year but he was showing great hustle in the Bulls game and in the Cavs game.
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#17 » by SpaceJam » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:41 pm

If DeRozan doesn't start, half way through the season he'll be stuck on the bench. He's most effective in the first quarter anyways, and because he has fresh legs that makes him more effective in the first Q then Marco or Toine.
_________
greed416
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by greed416 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:44 pm

you shouldn't be starting threads period! :rofl:
Hulk_Hogan
Senior
And1: 2,459

Post#19 » by Hulk_Hogan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Well ya know something OP!? You need to get rid of your narrow minded opinions brother! Derozan has to get minutes to develop, but clearly isn't ready to be an offensive force, why not put him with the starters where there wouldn't be as much pressure to make plays offensively? As long as he keeps training hard, taking his vitamins, and saying his prayers, he will be fine brother. But the Hulkster just has one question for the OP, watchya gonna do, watchya gonna do when Derozan breaks out and all the Hulkamaniacs run wild on you!?
Dino-sty
Sophomore

Post#20 » by Dino-sty » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Why does starting matter so much to so many players? If anything that just tells me that they care more about themselves than what is the best for the team.

Manu Ginobili didn't start the game against us even with TD and Parker out. I don't hear him complaining.

Return to Toronto Raptors