ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Jennings with a 29pt Quarter (Finishes with 55/5/5)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Re: OT: Jennings with a 29pt Quarter (Finishes with 55/5/5) 

Post#341 » by rdtx2005 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:11 pm

Jennings will either be an Iverson clone or a Marbury clone
baba ghanooj
Junior
And1: 0

Post#342 » by baba ghanooj » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:12 pm

If Isiah was still the GM, Jennings would have been a knick
Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#343 » by Quiet-Storm » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:12 pm

rdtx2005 wrote:Jennings will either be an Iverson clone or a Marbury clone

Or he could turn into a kobe version of a pointguard. A cocky kid who grinds on peoples nerves but he is just too good
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#344 » by TheDunc » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:14 pm

How is Jennings this good? Nobody could of predicted this to this extent. Whats his best asset i havent been watching him. The knicks board must be going nuts
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#345 » by Darkseid » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Sucks he's not playing for us but any Raps GM with a brain would have selected Derozan over him at 9th, no one expected him to be this good this quickly.
DDX
Ballboy

Post#346 » by DDX » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:19 pm

rofl i drafted him in my fantasy league i knew he was going to be this good and i actually watched this game before the pacman fight watched that epic third quarter and said if he gets to 50 he is gonna get rookie of the year
Image]
D-Wins-RingsIMO
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: TORONTO ... where worst DRtg in the league happens!

Post#347 » by D-Wins-RingsIMO » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:25 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:For the record, I distinctly remember BC throwing a lot of praise at Jennings during the Summer League. Too many people are trying to use Jenning's early success to validate their own weak speculations.

Anyway, great start for BJ. I wish I could've watched it.

Oh on the record BC is a real charmer.

However I guarantee you the words in a Doug Smith blog on the chances of us drafting Jennings were along the lines of "no chance, no way, not even considering it"

As to the other poster - If the NCAA goes to a 2 year college min, I wouldn't be surprised to see some kids leave at 17 and sign a 3 year contract in Europe. If you're going to make a 2 year commitment at that point - why not 3?

edit - my quote wasn't exactly right. here it is:

Q: Doug, is there any word on the Raptors interest in Brandon Jennings? He seems to be a player with TREMENDOUS upside but apparently has a polarizing effect on people.

Josh S, Thornhill

A: I can honestly say I have never heard his name mentioned by anyone connected with the team, even in idle conversation. From what I’m hearing around the league, he can’t make a shot to save his soul and has some personality “issues” (he’s rather hard-headed and not that open to coaching) so I don’t think he’s a fit here.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#348 » by TheDunc » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:28 pm

Call me crazy but through all the draft time i was asking if we could trade calderon and draft jennings. I didnt know he would be this good, i dont even know if he would fit in well but damn is he impressive
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#349 » by pspot » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:33 pm

Just as AI steps down the next one steps up
nm
C3SIUM
Starter
And1: 693

Post#350 » by C3SIUM » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:46 pm

ya i had a feeling he was going to tare it up, I picked him in a few fantasy leagues (keeper ones too)
w000t w00t
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#351 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:03 pm

D-Wins-RingsIMO wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:For the record, I distinctly remember BC throwing a lot of praise at Jennings during the Summer League. Too many people are trying to use Jenning's early success to validate their own weak speculations.

Anyway, great start for BJ. I wish I could've watched it.

Oh on the record BC is a real charmer.

However I guarantee you the words in a Doug Smith blog on the chances of us drafting Jennings were along the lines of "no chance, no way, not even considering it"

Well, I guess you're right because he wasn't on their draft board, but that doesn't mean they didn't do their research and it doesn't mean that they didn't acknowledge his skills. No one asked him about Jennings, he just started saying nice things about him. And Amir Johnson, was he just being charming?

There are lots of reasons not to draft a guy, and they're not always related to attitude.

I just hate that some members of this board have to turn this into some sort of condemnation of our own organization instead of enjoying someone playing their heart out and evoking Wilt Chamberlain.

EDIT: I just read your edit. Doug Smith isn't necessarily the most plugged-in guy. He was probably basing his opinion off of reading Hoopshype.
NH
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#352 » by NH » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:17 pm

I am sure M. Ghred must have had his eyes on Brandon Jennings in the Euroleague. Raptors just did not need a PG an has bigger needs at the wing posiition. Acie Earl scored 40 points too once. Let the season play out and see how he does. I do see an AI clone,which is good and bad
alvinzzy
Ballboy

Post#353 » by alvinzzy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:18 pm

gcsw wrote:
fredericklove wrote:we don't want a hogger (jenning) on our team when our starting lineup has 4 guys that can flat out score.

they can score but they can't win. If BC were to offer Bosh for Jennings, Bucks GM would be laughing in his face. Forget the 55pts. Jennings seems to be a winning franchise type of player. This Bucks team has a bunch of NBDL players and they have a .700 record. He is having the same impact as LeBron, Wade, CP and Howard. All those guys turn around their franchise from losers to winners. You can add Roy in that group as well, another one BC passed on.

Bosh is the type of franchise player who is only good at scoring and cannot turn around a franchise from a losing one to a winning one.

+1111
henrydunn13
Pro Prospect
And1: 126

Post#354 » by henrydunn13 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:30 pm

now everyone is going to go to europe instead of college...
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#355 » by Double Helix » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:38 pm

Quote this one if you want but the Bucks will not make the playoffs this year. This early season start will fizzle from memory soon and they'll be back in the late lottery. Jennings will continue to put up big numbers but teams will let him try to beat them. It'll work sometimes and fail others. They nearly lost the game last night in spite of Jennings putting up 55 and Bogut having 19/11.

To pretend that he's already Allen Iverson and capable of putting a team on his back and taking them to the playoffs so soon is too much.

Damon Stoudamire as a rookie was pretty much given the green light to do what he wanted. He won ROY and looked like a superstar. He's now retired and didn't win anything else significant. There are a lot of players capable of big scoring nights if they're given the green light on a team without a ton of others scorers and they get hot. Jennings looks great but let's not start lumpng him in with the Wades and Lebrons of the world just yet.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#356 » by dagger » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:44 pm

Double Helix wrote:Quote this one if you want but the Bucks will not make the playoffs this year. This early season start will fizzle from memory soon and they'll be back in the late lottery. Jennings will continue to put up big numbers but teams will let him try to beat them. It'll work sometimes and fail others. They nearly lost the game last night in spite of Jennings putting up 55 and Bogut having 19/11.

To pretend that he's already Allen Iverson and capable of putting a team on his back and taking them to the playoffs so soon is too much.

Damon Stoudamire as a rookie was pretty much given the green light to do what he wanted. He won ROY and looked like a superstar. He's now retired and didn't win anything else significant. There are a lot of players capable of big scoring nights if they're given the green light on a team without a ton of others scorers and they get hot. Jennings looks great but let's not start lumpng him in with the Wades and Lebrons of the world just yet.
'

Jennings certainly looks like the real deal, but he took 34 shots - Luke Ridnour took another 10. That's 44 shots from the PG position. Mind you, it was against the GS Warriors. But you can bet that almost immediately, the Bucks guards are going to be played very tight, probably trapped, possibly covered by a wing like we use Wright on PGs like Rose.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
NH
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#357 » by NH » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:56 pm

I just watched the highlights on Jennings and he was just simply on fire. Will he replicate this? Only time will tell. GSW defense sucked though, look at how open he was on most of his shots, and the Bucks barely won. Great night for Jennings, but not sold on him yet
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#358 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:10 pm

NH wrote:I just watched the highlights on Jennings and he was just simply on fire. Will he replicate this? Only time will tell. GSW defense sucked though, look at how open he was on most of his shots, and the Bucks barely won. Great night for Jennings, but not sold on him yet

He doesn't have to replicate it, it's still one of the greatest accomplishments ever for a rookie, especially considering it's in the first two weeks of his career.

He's also had several strong games for the Bucks so far, and they've got a 5-2 record. There may be other problems down the road, but his talent is absolutely undeniable.
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#359 » by lucky777s » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:37 pm

All I had seen of Jennings prior to the draft were the YouTube videos but you could tell the kid was legit. Super quick and of course the highlights showed nice shooting form.

He had the potential to be the next Damon Stoudamire for sure. But small guards have their disadvantages too and if he is not in a system that features him as a scorer he might not look too good. Kind of like Damon in POR.

Even AI could never learn to play with a legit second option in PHI. Only in DEN did it sort of work and even there the team underachieved until Chauncey brought real solid PG play to them at both ends.

If we were drafting a PG how would we have ranked them out of:

Evans
Rubio
Flynn
Curry
Jennings

I don't see how anyone could have put jennings in the top 2.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#360 » by SDM » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:49 pm

I'm not too surprised. I figured he'd be a superstar. True story.

Return to Toronto Raptors