ImageImageImageImageImage

Poll: Lets hire Byron Scott and fire Triano

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Hire Byron Scott?

Yes Hire Byron Scott and fire Triano.
19%
No, keep Triano.
68%
Fire Triano, but PLEASE not Byron Scott.
14%

Total votes: 111

shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,647

Re: Poll: Lets hire Byron Scott and fire Triano 

Post#21 » by shmoosicle » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:41 am

I don't really think Triano is the problem with our team, just like Scott wasn't the problem with the Hornets. Whether people like it or not, we just signed Triano and we're still paying off Mitchell's contract. MLSE is not going to pay for 3 coaches.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,066

Post#22 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:46 am

If BC plans on making a push for CP3 than this would be a good move. But he doesn't, so there's no point.
mrcapslock
Junior
And1: 0

Post#23 » by mrcapslock » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:02 am

Why do we even bother signing any extension when Raptors are obviously not stable with the coaching staff. You don't sign extensions until you know they'll be successfully here for the next long while.
We need you Calderon!
shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,647

Post#24 » by shmoosicle » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:05 am

mrcapslock wrote:Why do we even bother signing any extension when Raptors are obviously not stable with the coaching staff. You don't sign extensions until you know they'll be successfully here for the next long while.

I think the reasoning is you don't want a lame duck coach on a one year contract because then they won't be able to control the players. Colangelo was trying to show that he had faith in Triano's abilities.
redraptors
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#25 » by redraptors » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:07 am

OH My GOD.
haha you are all awesome. FIre Jay. Its his first full year, 9 new players and they are over 500 with a tough start to the season. He is a good coach, good rotations and he is working in a rookie and a lot of young guys in. THere has been improved play from Bosh, Bargnani, Calderon is turning it around, Derozan wil take half a year plus Turkoglu is getting in the mix. Belineli is playing well, Amir is playing consistent minutes and playing well. Evans hasnt even played yet he would have been awesome against the Grizzlies.
The only player over 25 that is anyting on this Team is Jose. Think about that. HOrrible fan base here just horrible. NO knowledge of business or sports. Look at all the great coaches look at the players they had and the ages of the players. Please. Why is it so hard to just let the team develop give them one year and see if you see good things. THe last two games we have seen huge imporvements on Defence and that is all we need to compete.
Viperstrike
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#26 » by Viperstrike » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:20 am

Now is not the right time to fire Triano.
RaptorGuy
Senior
And1: 3

Post#27 » by RaptorGuy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:26 am

mrcapslock wrote:I mean, if we don't make some serious coaching change, Bosh would leave.

I say we ask Bosh who he likes and hire whoever he wants.

Did Bosh tell you? Thanks for the inside scoop.
RaptorGuy
Senior
And1: 3

Post#28 » by RaptorGuy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:28 am

mrcapslock wrote:This is a player's league. We do what it takes to make the players happy.

Here's a thought...Maybe, just maybe Bosh is happy in TO and with Triano. Wow, that might be tough to accept. Give it time, you will come around.
mrcapslock
Junior

Post#29 » by mrcapslock » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:30 am

So we can either accept the fact that Bosh is leaving cuz he's unhappy or we accept the fact that Bosh is staying. It's sad that either way we accept can have consequences.
We need you Calderon!
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,939

Post#30 » by CPT » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:42 am

I'm still not crazy about having Triano as our coach for the next 3 seasons, but I'm willing to give him a chance. I don't think he's a bad coach, but I don't really think he's a good one either.

Aside from a handful of elite coaches (and of course, some awful ones), I'm not sure coaching makes all that much difference. At least at the head coaching position.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#31 » by sanity » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:45 am

Bosh will only leave if Colangelo isn't excited about handing him the max. That would probably be the result of a disastrous season where he'll be required to reshape the roster. If the team is playing 'okay' and maintaining its level of mediocrity (which allows for a 6-8th place finish in the East), chances are Bosh will be happy and so will BC on re-signing him.

Not saying that's how I envision the team heading into the future and actually competing for something... but chances are that's what we're going to be faced with.

If the team makes some smalls steps towards becoming better, maybe later (next offseason or the one after) might be the time to bring in a more playoff-experienced coach. Until then, this is still a team in development and Byron might not even entertain the notion of coming here. He's already been rumoured as Phil Jackson's eventual replacement. For Byron's sake... I hope he takes some time off before rushing into another situation.
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,349

Post#32 » by PerfectJab » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:52 am

Lets keep Triano and ban the op, I've had enough of these newblar posts. Byron Scott of all people, such a newb. Defence must all be attributed to the coach. I bet under your simplistic analysis, if we were coached by Jackson, since the Lakers are one of the top defensive teams in the league, the Raptors D would miraclously become top 5. Avery Johnson coached the Mav's to an excellent record, that must mean he'd make the Raptor's better.

If we were to make a coaching change, and it was warranted, I would vote for one with experience. Someone like Van Gundy, I've read that he's itching to coach again. Nah forget it, I think Avery Johnson would be a better coach because he does have a better winning percentage. It's a win/win, if Avery makes the team lose, we can fire him and go for Van Gundy because change is good!
ghuytro
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#33 » by ghuytro » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:57 am

J Dilla wrote:
sanity wrote:Byron Scott is probably a better coach but it doesn't seem like the right time to axe Triano - not with a record above .500. Sure this team has sucked at times, but the record is probably better than what most had in mind prior to the season.

I should* expect Colangelo to axe Triano if this team is 8-9, but I know it won't happen. If 8-9 didn't meet BC's expectations with Hassan Adams, Jamario Moon, Old man Parker, Roko Ukic, Nathan Jawai, Kris Humphries, Joey Graham, and Will Solomon, BC better be pissed if we're 8-8 with the team we have.

I don't understand Triano's 3 year extension. Dude didn't do Jack ****.

I'd be willing to bet that there was much much more than just the 8-9 record that led to Smitch getting the axe.
PerfectJab
Veteran

Post#34 » by PerfectJab » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 am

ghuytro wrote:
J Dilla wrote:
sanity wrote:Byron Scott is probably a better coach but it doesn't seem like the right time to axe Triano - not with a record above .500. Sure this team has sucked at times, but the record is probably better than what most had in mind prior to the season.

I should* expect Colangelo to axe Triano if this team is 8-9, but I know it won't happen. If 8-9 didn't meet BC's expectations with Hassan Adams, Jamario Moon, Old man Parker, Roko Ukic, Nathan Jawai, Kris Humphries, Joey Graham, and Will Solomon, BC better be pissed if we're 8-8 with the team we have.

I don't understand Triano's 3 year extension. Dude didn't do Jack ****.

I'd be willing to bet that there was much much more than just the 8-9 record that led to Smitch getting the axe.

That might be too sophisticated to understand, more variables than one? That's too much! You might have to dumb down your comment a little.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#35 » by J Dilla » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:08 am

ghuytro wrote:

The fact that those players make up a good chunk of your roster explains that coaching was never the problem. Look at them, where are they now? I forgot to add Jason Kapono to that list. 8-9 was an over achievement to be honest.
PerfectJab
Veteran

Post#36 » by PerfectJab » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:14 am

J Dilla wrote:
ghuytro wrote:

The fact that those players make up a good chunk of your roster explains that coaching was never the problem. Look at them, where are they now? I forgot to add Jason Kapono to that list. 8-9 was an over achievement to be honest.

Probably, makes you wonder how significant coaching really is when the make-up of a team simply doesn't cut it. A coach can't coach every play, albeit you can tell to some degree coming out of a time-out their ability to draw up plays. IMO, Smitch was terrible at that.

I think people tend to forget that sports is a business. Like every business, perception is everything. A lot of GM's use their coaches as a scapegoat, not saying this was the case with BC, but I'm sure there were some things that he felt could be improved if Smitch was not the coach. I'm also sure that BC knew that some of the fault was on him. Surprise, surprise, the boss won.
bespoke
Senior
And1: 333

Post#37 » by bespoke » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:39 am

wtf is wrong with you guys. the guy is a nut job. hes challenging MJ one on one!!
mrcapslock
Junior

Post#38 » by mrcapslock » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:04 am

look at the spanish team, they played great. It doesn't all have to be players, it can be teamwork and communication. Right now when I watch raps play, there's no communication.
We need you Calderon!
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#39 » by 62245 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:39 pm

99 Problems wrote:While we're at it lets get Pacman as our PG and move Jose to the bench..

hey why not he will play better defense
Str33t_Fight3r
Bench Warmer

Post#40 » by Str33t_Fight3r » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:56 pm

bespoke wrote:wtf is wrong with you guys. the guy is a nut job. hes challenging MJ one on one!!

For the people that want Triano fired, do you guys really think that MLSE would pay 3 coaches at the same time?
Raps fan till I die

"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor" - Tupac Shakur

There's no "D" in Toronto Raptors...but there's a crap load of "O's"

Return to Toronto Raptors