ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - Elton Brand to lose starting job to Jason Smith?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

OT - Elton Brand to lose starting job to Jason Smith? 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:45 pm

Link

Then we asked Jordan about Brand working with the second team. Jordan said, "We have him playing some five with the second unit." Then we asked if that might mean a change to the starting lineup. Here's where it gets interesting. Jordan said, "Ummm," then there was a long pause and he smiled and said, "Who knows? Nothing is going to change until Wednesday, if there is a change."

Okay, that's not definitive, but certainly that's cause for raised eyebrows. We also talked to Brand. What he said seems more likely that there will be a change. Said Brand: "Today, he was talking about me working with the second group, getting some more center touches and stuff like that rather than playing with the fast-paced tempo of the first group, so definitely something is going to happen."

Just like our JO trade, the Brand signing by the Sixers has turned into an albatross. Fortunately, we recovered somewhat...
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Re: OT - Elton Brand to lose starting job to Jason Smith? 

Post#2 » by DG88 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:52 pm

Wow that signing was said to have been better than the O'Neal signing. Both were flop signings but BC saw that things weren't working and shipped JO to Miami. The Sixers on the other hand sign Brand to a 6 year $82 million deal and his first year he was injured for the rest of the season.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,134

Post#3 » by duppyy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:53 pm

DG88 wrote:Wow that signing was said to have been better than the O'Neal signing. Both were flop signings but BC saw that things weren't working and shipped JO to Miami. The Sixers on the other hand sign Brand to a 6 year $82 million deal and his first year he was injured for the rest of the season.

You mean O'Neal trade.
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#4 » by dillio » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:53 pm

What seemed like a coup at the time really ended up biting them in the ass. People were mighty pissed in Clipper-land for Brand abandoning ship after helping to recruit Baron Davis, in hindsight who knows if that would've even been a playoff team?
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#5 » by djsunyc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:56 pm

sixers got played by david falk...
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#6 » by Brinbe » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Funny how things work out, right?

But this is a nice approach to things, especially if Brand is willing to go along with it. He'll still get his minutes, surely, but the slower pace should do him some good. Also, props to Jordan for going with this plan, even if it may be a necessity to improve that struggling Sixer team.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#7 » by DG88 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:00 pm

YounG GunneR wrote:
DG88 wrote:Wow that signing was said to have been better than the O'Neal signing. Both were flop signings but BC saw that things weren't working and shipped JO to Miami. The Sixers on the other hand sign Brand to a 6 year $82 million deal and his first year he was injured for the rest of the season.

You mean O'Neal trade.

You know what I mean
cyp316
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by cyp316 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:18 pm

They should try and trade Brand to either Chicago or Detroit ...both those teams could potentaially use him...although I am guessing that they have already tried to trade him..
freamon
Junior
And1: 39

Post#9 » by freamon » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:46 pm

Brand's was one signing that took out two teams: the Sixers as well as the Clippers who had relied on him and signed Baron Davis to pair with him.
BirdmanPresents
Analyst
And1: 799

Post#10 » by BirdmanPresents » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Yes..the signing HAS been an ALBATROSS :lol:
youngLion
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#11 » by youngLion » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:53 pm

What a turnaround for Stefanski and the 76ers. When they nabbed Brand from the Clippers it was being hailed as a big coup, and it was said that they had the best offseason of any team. Now he seems to be on the downswing of his career and he's ostensibly holding them back, not that Jason Smith is really a legit option as a starting 4.

While it seems clear that Brand isn't the guy he used to be before his injuries, I have to believe that he's better than a 10 & player. I think he could do good work on Cleveland, or Detroit or Chicago as an earlier poster mentioned.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#12 » by LieCheatSteal » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:07 pm

I think Marrese Speights was close to starting over Elton before he got injured. A starting front court of Smith-Dalembert would have been terrible. Speights starting over Brand, in the context of this article, makes more sense.

Elton looks small, fat and slow out there. There's little lift in his legs (probably hasn't recovered from his ACL injury yet). His shots been terrible, a lot of front rims. His style of play doesn't really mesh with the run and gun style that a lot of players on this team (Lou Will, Iggy, Thaddeus and Dalembert) is more built to play. The Princeton offense doesn't really suit him, as predicted by a million soothsayers.

I wouldn't necessarily compare this to the O'Neal situation. This is much worse. At the very least, O'Neal was an close to expiring deal. Elton has like 4 more years to go at close to 16 million per. This contract can't be moved at all. Also, he's not exactly a great salesperson for basketball in Philadelphia either- Philadelphia currently ranks last in attendance. So, it's way worse than the O'Neal thing.
Two years from being two years away.
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#13 » by inrapscity » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:35 pm

brand's going to get traded soon book it
Test of Wills
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#14 » by Test of Wills » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:41 pm

inrapscity wrote:brand's going to get traded soon book it

No one is taking that contract back. Unless they're getting back a solid prospect or two, even then I doubt it. Brand's contract will handcuff a team for years so if Thaddeus or Holiday aren't going with him then forget it.
BirdmanPresents
Analyst
And1: 799

Post#15 » by BirdmanPresents » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvFC-g-IFY

AN ALBATROSSS!!! I CANT BELIEVE THEY SIGNED AN ALBATROSSSS!!!!
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#16 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:45 pm

BirdmanPresents wrote:Image

Yes..the signing HAS been an ALBATROSS :lol:

Coming from the Birdman - nice. :lol: Looks a bit like Elton too...
Ska needs to make a comeback.
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#17 » by jonny three time » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:37 pm

This also has to do with the fact that the Sixers don't have a starter who's decent at shooting 3s. Brand obviously isn't the player that he used to be, but Smith is a player in the mold of a Bonner/Ryan Anderson type guy. Good offense's use stretch 4s (or stretch 5s in ours and Utahs case) in the starting unit rather than having them as situational guys coming off the bench.
RINSE
Head Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#18 » by RINSE » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:54 pm

btw, he didnt hurt his ACL. He tore his achilles.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#19 » by Komodo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:17 pm

Sucks for the 6ers, but good for us, so :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors