ImageImageImageImageImage

Dwight Howard: more calls for or against his favour?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Howard+Nelson
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Re: Dwight Howard: more calls for or against his favour? 

Post#21 » by Howard+Nelson » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:41 pm

I know I'm biased b/c I'm a Magic fan and have watched every game but I would say against. He is in foul trouble every game this year, even more so than last year. I think he gets like 2-3 fouls a game where he is holding his arms up just standing there and the opponent just throws themself into him to draw a foul. He is in the lane a lot but I wouldn't call it 3 sec. He posts up the majority of the time outside the paint and on defense, is within an arms reach of an opponent.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,581

Post#22 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:48 pm

Howard+Nelson wrote:I think he gets like 2-3 fouls a game where he is holding his arms up just standing there and the opponent just throws themself into him to draw a foul.

I absolutely hate this call in the NBA. Every big man gets dinged for it, and it sucks.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#23 » by Indeed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:12 pm

I think Its just star effects.

I mean, even Chris Bosh is drawing lots of easy fouls too. It works both way as Bosh and Howard are getting those calls.
When they go against each others, the calls are fair. But when someone go against them, they get more calls, even minor bumps.

I just don't like the last foul call on Bargs, when it is really 50/50.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,581

Post#24 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:13 pm

Indeed wrote:I just don't like the last foul call on Bargs, when it is really 50/50.

Or no one actually touched anyone and the play was whistled because Howard just flat out missed a shot, and the refs decided that couldn't possibly happen without contact.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
distracted
Veteran
And1: 56

Post#25 » by distracted » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:44 pm

ansoncarter wrote:he suffers from the same thing shaq did, just to a lesser extent. Shaq would play the same as everyone else but since he's so strong his man would go flying and he'd get called

But that SHOULD happen. There should be a level of contact that's allowed regardless of how big you are, and anything else is a foul. The rules shouldn't change to allow contact just because a guy can't harness his strength. That would be like not calling charges on a guy who isn't agile enough to avoid the man.

This happens all the time in every game. For example guys push off their man to get space, or bump on guys when they go through the lane. When guys do this too hard, they get called for the foul, Dwight or not. Dwight just can't control himself as well as other players can.
distracted
Veteran
And1: 56

Post#26 » by distracted » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:50 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Howard+Nelson wrote:I think he gets like 2-3 fouls a game where he is holding his arms up just standing there and the opponent just throws themself into him to draw a foul.

I absolutely hate this call in the NBA. Every big man gets dinged for it, and it sucks.

Yeah that call does suck, and is completely ridiculous. It's a huge part of why people think NBA reffing is a joke, the fact that an offensive player can almost 'choose' to make a guy foul him. The principles of verticality is another issue too. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to jump straight up to contest a shot.

Indeed wrote:I think Its just star effects.

I mean, even Chris Bosh is drawing lots of easy fouls too. It works both way as Bosh and Howard are getting those calls.

While Bosh gets some easy calls, he easily offsets it by the number of times he doesn't get the call. As ridiculous as this sounds based on his free throw totals, Bosh may deserve more calls then he gets if the rules were called like they are for everyone else (such as the contact to get a call at the rim for a guard). He would lose 1-2 superstar calls and gain 4-5 non-calls because he's a big so guys can be more physical.
Xenophon
Junior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Xenophon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:55 pm

I agree that Dwight doesn't get as many shooting fouls as he should, because he does pretty much get hacked every time he shoots. The thing is that he should also get WAY more offensive fouls than he gets called for. He basically either pushes the other guy out of the way or goes over the back every time someone on his team shoots it.

I think it goes like this. If they called Dwight like they call other players, he would probably get 12 FT per game, but that would all happen in about 10 minutes which is when he would have fouled out of the game. I mean, I know they are supposed to fight for position, but what Dwight does is more like WWE wrestling than NBA basketball.
Howard+Nelson
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#28 » by Howard+Nelson » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:22 pm

on offense, its called backing an opponent down. its allowed.. on rebounding, its called boxing out, there is pushing on this as the opponent tries to get around the player boxing him out and the player tries to keep his man boxed out.. and dwight doesn't play like the wrestling. ha. he just looks that way vs the weaker raptors players. watch when the magic play teams w/ bigger guys..

Return to Toronto Raptors