ImageImageImageImageImage

10 reasons why Raptors fans shouldn't feel depressed

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Re: 10 reasons why Raptors fans shouldn't feel depressed 

Post#41 » by redred9 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:00 pm

I agree. Locked into contracts as we are, I don't see the point of not re-signing Bosh. The only chance we have to be great is if our young guys improve internally (and they do look promising), and then we have to rely on BC to work his magic in a couple of trades. The roster BC has given us I have thought it was bizarre from the get-go, but we have a lot of assets- just not necessarily the right mix.

We have the MLE next year, we can trade Jose/Bargs, the young guys will still improve a great deal, Bosh is just coming into his prime..

Still a lot of options for us to improve. If we lose Bosh, however, then we really are going to be staring mediocrity right in the face.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#42 » by SkywalkerAC » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:03 am

a big reason is that the Eastern conference is still wide open. sixers and wizards are struggling mightily. bucks are likely playing way over their head. any kind of run and we're back into that 4-7 range.

and we've got a great offense while having an average pace. cleaning up the defense isn't exactly impossible.
ilikecb4
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#43 » by ilikecb4 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:09 am

SkywalkerAC wrote:a big reason is that the Eastern conference is still wide open. sixers and wizards are struggling mightily. bucks are likely playing way over their head. any kind of run and we're back into that 4-7 range.

and we've got a great offense while having an average pace. cleaning up the defense isn't exactly impossible.

When your last line of defence is Andrea Bargniani yeah it's impossible

We need a Stephen Jackson on this team...

I like players that shout, fight, push, grab, trash talk...

I'd way rather have a team like that than a nice walk over me team
Rapture
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#44 » by Rapture » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:38 am

knickerbocker2k2 wrote:
Reignman wrote:OR, as Doug mentioned today, "at least we aren't the Nets".

As bad as the Nets are, I wouldn't mind switching our roster for theirs. At this point you can see who the contenders/pretenders are. We definitely fall under the pretender category. At best our season will be over 1/2 weeks after the Nets.

What the Nets have we don't is hope. I actually don't mind seeing bad team play if there is light at the end of the tunnel. You get to see young players make mistakes but also them grow. And you have next season to look forward to. Right now as Raps fan what exactly can you look for to? Bosh might bail next season leaving us with mediocre players with guaranteed contracts. Even if he doesn't bail, we sign him to long-term contract which guarantees mediocre 3-5 seasons.

Yea i agree 100%. IMO there's nothing wrong rebuilding in a smart way like the Nets are doing atm. This season might be very ugly but it's basically just one season and atleast you get to see your young players grow.

I don't understand why people are saying that rebuilding means quitting and tanking and everything. I suggested we should've traded Bosh instead of JO on last years trade deadline. Trade Bosh for good young players/draft picks, lose more games and get a better draft pick. Then this year we would be quite bad but not as bad as Nets and Memphis and still get a good pick. Then sign some pretty good FA 2010 and there you have a young talented team ready to grow. I would've prefered this way and I hope Colangelo will have success with his way. We just have to get more defence somehow.
BigShotBob13
Starter
And1: 297

Post#45 » by BigShotBob13 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:00 pm

knickerbocker2k2 wrote:
Reignman wrote:OR, as Doug mentioned today, "at least we aren't the Nets".

As bad as the Nets are, I wouldn't mind switching our roster for theirs. At this point you can see who the contenders/pretenders are. We definitely fall under the pretender category. At best our season will be over 1/2 weeks after the Nets.

What the Nets have we don't is hope. I actually don't mind seeing bad team play if there is light at the end of the tunnel. You get to see young players make mistakes but also them grow. And you have next season to look forward to. Right now as Raps fan what exactly can you look for to? Bosh might bail next season leaving us with mediocre players with guaranteed contracts. Even if he doesn't bail, we sign him to long-term contract which guarantees mediocre 3-5 seasons.

What light? They're 0 - 16. The Knicks are worse if you can fathom it. What do the Nets have to build on? Lopez and Harris? They haven't been enough to carry them to ONE win so far.
Formerly...Damn, I forgot who I was...
elitehunter99
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#46 » by elitehunter99 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Double Helix wrote:It's obvious that many Raptors fans are upset. We certainly have reasons to be disappointed. Nobody wants to be the worst defensive team in recent memory. With that out of the way, The Raptors are who they are and here are some reasons why you shouldn't stop watching.

4) The playoffs wipe the regular season away. The NBA playoffs are all about matchups and if we make them, we might have a favorable matchup because of how unique we are. The regular season is just the warm up! If we match up against the right team and are able to outscore them consistently in the playoffs... we could have a nice first round upset!

5) Ugly losses are no different than buzzer beater losses in the wins and loss column. There are tons of teams disappointing at the moment and upsets all the time. Team morale and RealGM posts aside, an ugly loss is still just the same as a close loss. Reading too much into the games we lost big serves no better purpose than optimistically pointing to the times we've looked good and scored a ton. There are highs and lows. We need to ride them out.

Totally disagree with your points above.....
Very rarely does a team that squeaks into the playoffs have any success in the first round... In this team's case none of the top teams are a favourable matchup..... Orlando has killed this team twice, Boston can easily dismantle the non-existent D, on the perimeter and the interior...... The Cleveland game was an aberration, and we haven't seen a complete game like that from this team since that game... I'm pretty sure Atlanta, like Charlotte will also simply waltz into the paint and feast on the pitiful D as they have just as many athletes on that team..

Conclusion, the D right now is so utterly hopeless that this team will have a hard time doing anything in the playoffs, if they can get there...... Sure, Reggie Evans might improve the mentality briefly, but there are too many soft, uncommitted, passive players on this team who play key positions in the starting 5....
bena2005
Banned User

Post#47 » by bena2005 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:28 pm

top 10 reasons why this thread is a fail
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#48 » by RedX » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:31 pm

tha-prince wrote:11. Leo Rautins is losing his voice.

?? :dontknow:

haha
scruffz
Ballboy

Post#49 » by scruffz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:51 pm

[quote="Double Helix"]

2) We have one of the most loyal and loudest fan bases in the NBA. If it's a home game, you can bet our crowd will be into it unlike many other arenas that are half empty.
quote]

Excuse me while I laugh at my monitor. I don't think fans cheering when a video screen tells them to or when t-shirts are thrown at them counts as people being "into it".
Evermore
Banned User

Post#50 » by Evermore » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:35 am

Jai Monee wrote:it's nice to have men, and not boys

So you prefer men over boys?

Hmmm...

I can't help but wonder how you came to that conclusion

Return to Toronto Raptors