ImageImageImageImageImage

60 to 75% Of NBA Players own Guns?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Re: 60 to 75% Of NBA Players own Guns? 

Post#61 » by Avenger » Sat Jan 2, 2010 11:45 pm

I haven't kept up with the gun control debate but is there actually any statistical evidence to suggest that guns make a difference in combating home invasions/robberies at all? I have seen data that suggests that gun owners are actually more likely to be victims of violence than people who don't have a gun in robberies and invasions.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,211

Post#62 » by Heat3 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 2:04 am

I would think more than 75% own guns probably at a higher rate than the average american. If they grew up in the hood what better way to "keep it real" now that they're rich than with a gun? the sad thing is a lot of these guys don't even get proper training so they don't really know how to use it. they end up like Plaxico Burress. The idiot literally shot him self in the leg and ended up going to jail for it and pretty much ended his NFL career.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

pk00
Senior
And1: 0

Post#63 » by pk00 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 2:18 am

remember that professional athletes are frequently the targets of robberies and home invasions and such. remember when antoine walker and eddy currey got robbed at gunpoint at their houses (in the same month)?

in places like detroit and memphis, where crime and poverty is high, nba players are some of the most visible multimillionaires around.

if i was a nba player in memphis no doubt i'd have a firearm.
Prop
Veteran
And1: 34

Post#64 » by Prop » Sun Jan 3, 2010 2:26 am

i love the comments made by some of you that characterize black athletes who may or may not own guns as "thugs" or "ghetto" or some bullshyt like that.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,211

Post#65 » by Heat3 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:10 am

How is it bull? Specially when this discussion stems from the actions of Arenas and Crittenton. Who handles financial disputes like that? If that's not "ghetto" then what is? Get a lawyer and do it like a civilized rich person.

When you have as much money as some of these guys have, they can afford better, safer options to protect themselves than to carry guns themselves.

I'm talking from experience. I grew up and still live in a neighborhood where lots of pro athletes (mostly NFL) have come from. I've seen the environment and culture first hand. A lot of these guys have guns cause they grew up with people that had/used guns. Many of those didn't use it to go hunting either or go to shooting ranges and take safety classes....Hearing gunshots going off is quite a regular occurrence in my town. I could easily see people who grow up in this environment but aren't taught how to respect a weapon to pull crap like these two idiots did.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

p3scador
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#66 » by p3scador » Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:38 am

Of course NBA players own guns, they're professional athletes. Just look at Corey Maggette.

Scraptor
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#67 » by Scraptor » Sun Jan 3, 2010 3:47 am

These statistics may be useful to many of you. Draw your own conclusions.

US murder rate vs G7 countries

2.5x France
3x UK, Canada, Italy, Germany
10x Japan

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m ... per-capita
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m ... per-capita
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m ... h-firearms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate
Donlogic
Senior
And1: 25

Post#68 » by Donlogic » Sun Jan 3, 2010 4:11 am

The Washington Wizards never told the NBA that an all-star player and his teammate drew guns on each other in the team's locker room during a fight over a gambling debt, the New York Post reported.

The league reportedly found out about the Dec. 21 incident after the Post inquired about it. The alleged gun duel now threatens to end not only the careers of the two players involved, all-star Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton — but also of general manager Ernie Grunfeld, the Post reported.

"This is gonna cost Ernie Grunfeld his job," a former NBA team president told The Post. "Because the buck stops at the top."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581 ... latestnews

*My bad on the double post in the two threads.
raptorsam
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#69 » by raptorsam » Sun Jan 3, 2010 7:20 am

Donlogic wrote:
The Washington Wizards never told the NBA that an all-star player and his teammate drew guns on each other in the team's locker room during a fight over a gambling debt, the New York Post reported.

The league reportedly found out about the Dec. 21 incident after the Post inquired about it. The alleged gun duel now threatens to end not only the careers of the two players involved, all-star Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton — but also of general manager Ernie Grunfeld, the Post reported.

"This is gonna cost Ernie Grunfeld his job," a former NBA team president told The Post. "Because the buck stops at the top."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581 ... latestnews

*My bad on the double post in the two threads.

I wonder who snitched?
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#70 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Jan 3, 2010 2:45 pm

2.5x France
3x UK, Canada, Italy, Germany
10x Japan

Many countries have guns in their houses because they have no standing army (something Canada and the U.S. might consider) but the clips are under lock and key. In the U.S. the right to bare arms has become an excuse for a hand gun culture that is big business. The U.S. constitution might as well read "the right to bare a large scale and dangerous arms business". Add that directly to an urban underclass and the trigger gets pulled more often than in other countries where weapons are more strictly controlled and living conditions are not as desperate. When it comes right down to it though there are hand guns floating around with the wrong types in cities like Toronto and they get smuggled en mass across a porous U.S./Canada border. The situation which is serious in Toronto is all underground market. At the end of the day the trigger gets pulled less often in Toronto than it does in Detroit. Weapons as an issue gets unfortunately get politicized and useful facts go out the window. Why shouldn't every bullet have a number and if you buy them should you not have to be a security professional or a hunter? Once there is a number on the bullet and you buy it your name your is attached to that ammunition. You cannot trade it, loan it or give it away. Owning an unloaded gun should not be a as big a fuss as gaining access to strictly controlled ammunition.
Prop
Veteran
And1: 34

Post#71 » by Prop » Sun Jan 3, 2010 5:53 pm

Heat3 wrote:How is it bull? Specially when this discussion stems from the actions of Arenas and Crittenton. Who handles financial disputes like that? If that's not "ghetto" then what is? Get a lawyer and do it like a civilized rich person.

When you have as much money as some of these guys have, they can afford better, safer options to protect themselves than to carry guns themselves.

I'm talking from experience. I grew up and still live in a neighborhood where lots of pro athletes (mostly NFL) have come from. I've seen the environment and culture first hand. A lot of these guys have guns cause they grew up with people that had/used guns. Many of those didn't use it to go hunting either or go to shooting ranges and take safety classes....Hearing gunshots going off is quite a regular occurrence in my town. I could easily see people who grow up in this environment but aren't taught how to respect a weapon to pull crap like these two idiots did.

i get it. black people who own guns are degenerate, ghetto thugs. and if you're rich and black, the only reason you'd own a gun isn't for protection but to "keep it real wit da homies"...because all black athletes grew up in the hood and were bffs with stick up kids.

i can make ridiculous generalizations too!
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#72 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Sun Jan 3, 2010 6:39 pm

In Canada, the registered guns by their owners have been proven not to be the guns that are being used to commit crimes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning a rifle or handgun for sport (hunting or target range). Where the problems come from is how they are stored and transported.

Keeping a loaded firearm in your house is probably the dumbest thing a gun owner could do, and transporting firearms (loaded or not) into public locations without a permit is also another extremely stupid thing to do.

What I don't agree with in Canada and the US is the laws and application process for buying a gun. When I look at the hoops you have to jump through now in Canada to legally own and operate a car compared to those of legally owning and operating a gun it becomes quite the joke.
user name
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#73 » by user name » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:06 pm

I have never understood why rich NBA athletes go to clubs where one would even need to carry a gun or why they would live in any area without a gate or security system.
dawn_wan
Veteran
And1: 612

Post#74 » by dawn_wan » Sun Jan 3, 2010 8:19 pm

it's america and thats their right to have arms

did you know canada has one the the largest ratio of guns owned to total population?

google that.

Return to Toronto Raptors