ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Whites-only Basketball League

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Re: OT: Whites-only Basketball League 

Post#141 » by J Dilla » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:21 pm

"But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now."

I don't know the truth of this statement for America, but one solution is to start having babies like the chinese and indians.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,265

Post#142 » by Shaazzam » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:24 pm

The one-child policy (simplified Chinese: 计划生育政策; pinyin: jìhuà shēngyù zhèngcè; literally "policy of birth planning") is the population control policy of the People's Republic of China (PRC). The Chinese government refers to it under the official translation of family planning policy.[1] It officially restricts the number of children married urban couples can have to one, although it allows exemptions for several cases, including rural couples, ethnic minorities, and parents without any siblings themselves.[2] A spokesperson of the Committee on the One-Child Policy has said that approximately 35.9% of China's population is currently subject to the one-child restriction.[3] The policy does not apply to the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, or Tibet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#143 » by Avenger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Would someone please tell me why this is an issue and moreso why is it a 10 page thread on the Raptors forum? Why are people getting so amped about a league that is not going anywhere? This whole street ball nonsense about Black players was also popular in the 60's and 70's, people didn't care back then, why do you think anyone would care in 2010?
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#144 » by jonny three time » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:30 pm

The line between a minority group choosing to alienate themselves from others (cultural/religious requirements for leagues/clubs to belong to) and the majority trying to segregate from others, will become more fuzzy over the next generation or so as white populations drop while minoirity populations grow.

I'm not saying this league should be allowed because other cultures/races are allowed to put in place rules that only allow certain people to join. If anything, nobody should have those types of rules. But there will be a time when the argument of "if they can do it why can't I" will hold water and it's probably not that far away.

The statements that the guy made in the artile are just plain dumb though. He probably could have at least made a few people think about it the legitamacy of it had he avoided some really off-limits words and made it more about equality for people who struggle with the game, rather than just saying black people are ruining it.
Corps
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#145 » by Corps » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:31 pm

There's no problem with creating an all white league. Being filipino I've played in filipino leagues where only flips can play. The problem lies in saying that the league is here cuz of black players with guns and minorities playing street ball. The flip leagues still have black and white players who are half Filipino. I'd guess the white league won't allow that.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,265

Post#146 » by Shaazzam » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:36 pm

The thing is that, like someone has pointed out previously, this is a professional league and not a recreational one. To deny people employment based on race, creed, color is a violation of civil rights.

Therefore, I don't see how the idea of this league is defensible.

As for jonny's comments about the guy in the article exercising better judgment in describing this league, that's what makes the whole situation, and the subsequent defence of the American-Aryan Basketball league, so comical.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Veggamattic
Veteran
And1: 1,419

Post#147 » by Veggamattic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:38 pm

kedineking wrote:
RaptorMan33 wrote:I would be against a blacks only basketball league as well.

BET is not racist because it offers something that the market is not providing: black television.

why the hell did you bring up BET you make seem like there only black people on there. well eminem goes hes white no matter how much he wants to act black. robin thicke white guy good singer and hes on there and on and lots more so dont make it seem like because we need a channel that we only make it for the black people

What does BET stand for?[/quote]

http://www.abbreviations.com/BET

It seems NASA thinks it means "Best Estimate of Trajectory"
But I prefer "Bagels Equal Tasty"[/quote]

BET isn't the poker network?

Interesting fact...Most people wildly over estimate when asked to guess the percentage of "people of African or Caribbean heritage" in Canada...this is the part where you guess to yourself...1.9% (most guess at about 20% as ridiculous as it is) USA...11.8%.

If I was of another minority race, I would be bitching about how they get shafted when it comes to their share of public attention and recognition.
J Dilla
Banned User

Post#148 » by J Dilla » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Corps wrote:There's no problem with creating an all white league. Being filipino I've played in filipino leagues where only flips can play. The problem lies in saying that the league is here cuz of black players with guns and minorities playing street ball. The flip leagues still have black and white players who are half Filipino. I'd guess the white league won't allow that.

Tengaa inaamoe did i get it right?
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#149 » by Three34 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:41 pm

I was just thinking about how good it is to be white?
I'm looking forward to getting a tan this summer.
I hope my relatives in England had a nice Guy Fawkes Day. Remember Nov 5th... put it on your calendar!

Lol... I'M Kidding.

I have no idea why you just said this.
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#150 » by lucky777s » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Sham wrote:
So does white mean more of a German/British heritage? What about Irish and Scottish people?

I might have to double check, but I'm pretty sure Scotland is a part of Britain.

Take my advice and do not ever say that to a Scot. Not even the cute harmless looking girls.
J Dilla
Banned User

Post#151 » by J Dilla » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:51 pm

lucky777s wrote:
Sham wrote:
So does white mean more of a German/British heritage? What about Irish and Scottish people?

I might have to double check, but I'm pretty sure Scotland is a part of Britain.

Take my advice and do not ever say that to a Scot. Not even the cute harmless looking girls.

:rofl:
basketball420
Head Coach
And1: 461

Post#152 » by basketball420 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:52 pm

lucky777s wrote:
Sham wrote:

LMAO...especially if she is holding a beer bottle
Helloooo
kwamebargnani
General Manager
And1: 2,479

Post#153 » by kwamebargnani » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:52 pm

That league must suck
Y0DA
Rookie
And1: 187

Post#154 » by Y0DA » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:55 pm

I don't think US equality laws will let him hire only white people to play. He has to fill proper ethnic ratios.
RapsBulls4evr
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#155 » by RapsBulls4evr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:58 pm

Lol, who cares? Let them try... they won't last long. :biggrin:
Jose_Matador
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#156 » by Jose_Matador » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:00 pm

The WNBA would get higher ratings, the NBA is great because of the diversity and breakthrough, its amazing when you see a "first ever" nationality player get drafted on draft night, Caucasian Basketball Association ? that would get boring...
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#157 » by roundhead0 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:02 pm

There is definitely a double-standard for "white-only" and, say, "Filipino-only" groups or associations in North America. But there is a good reason for it.

Minority cultures form these kinds of organizations to help build communities, and to help give some sort of sense of identity and in some cases opportunity that they may be denied otherwise. This can be important when you're dominated by a different culture--in this case whites of European descent, and mostly northern and western Europe at that.

Whites don't really face those same problems because they are part of the majority culture. Excluding others then becomes a form of oppression.
RapsBulls4evr
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#158 » by RapsBulls4evr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:03 pm

bakafool wrote:lol everyone's a closet racist. It's human nature.

No, it's not "natures" doing, otherwise, there would be diversity on this planet or in the universe for that matter. Such a nature is "nurtured" by humans, if that's what you mean. Even so, I wouldn't say "everyone".
Corps
Freshman

Post#159 » by Corps » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:23 pm

J Dilla wrote:
Corps wrote:There's no problem with creating an all white league. Being filipino I've played in filipino leagues where only flips can play. The problem lies in saying that the league is here cuz of black players with guns and minorities playing street ball. The flip leagues still have black and white players who are half Filipino. I'd guess the white league won't allow that.

Tengaa inaamoe did i get it right?

lol
Close dude, but I think you just said "your moms ear"

tang ina mo
j3yuen
Rookie

Post#160 » by j3yuen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:26 pm

doesn't this just roughly translate to: black people are far too good at basketball so we are making a league where we can play without them dominating? its the same as all the chinese, korean of filipino leagues that you have all around the GTA isn't it?

Return to Toronto Raptors