ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Rumours

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

NBA Rumours 

Post#1 » by Boogie! » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:15 am

i started this thread because i'm frustrated at every us media announcer talking about how chris bosh is leaving. i always wonder how these rumours start and who these "inside sources" are. because a lot of the time, it's hogwash, and more opinion than fact, though i'm sure there are bits of truth here and there.

i was wondering, say we started a rumour on this board that was completely out of left field. nothing personal about players, just basketball related. for example, something like, "raptors deal for caron butler almost finalized." now say we got everyone on the board to be in on the joke and pretend to accept this as truth because a poster got it from an "inside source" and we got the thread to 100 pages. then it spread to the other boards etc etc and everyone started believing it. do you think it would make it onto a major sports network? even locally? and announcers would be talking about it? i know these kinds of threads are frowned upon and whenever someone posts a rumour thread without fact, they get locked. but wouldn't it be fun to start an inside joke rumour as an experiment of sorts to see if we could actually get it into the media and prove how much the media says is a crock of ****? just throwing it out there, but mods can lock if they feel this thread is unacceptable.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
TheTerminator
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: NBA Rumours 

Post#2 » by TheTerminator » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:16 am

It would as long as nobody sees this thread
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#3 » by McFurious1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:18 am

Everyone likes a good rumor
sparrow
Junior
And1: 1

Post#4 » by sparrow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:23 am

This just in.

Chad Ford's sources are telling him the Raptors are close to acquiring Caron Butler!!!
prelude00
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#5 » by prelude00 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:24 am

i wonder if any of those writers who are saying that Bosh is as good as gone will be held accountable for their stories from "inside sources" when Bosh doesn't leave and signs with the Raptors.
McFurious1
Head Coach

Post#6 » by McFurious1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:25 am

sparrow wrote:This just in.

Chad Ford's sources are telling him the Raptors are close to acquiring Caron Butler!!!

Is this a joke?
sparrow
Junior

Post#7 » by sparrow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:26 am

McFurious1 wrote:

Is this a joke?

LOL did you not read/understand the OP?
McFurious1
Head Coach

Post#8 » by McFurious1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:27 am

sparrow wrote:
McFurious1 wrote:

Is this a joke?

LOL did you not read/understand the OP?

I read titles.... I thought this was supposed to be a rumor thread?

Edit: LOL I got it!!! Caron Butler NO WAY!!!
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#9 » by Boogie! » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:28 am

lol. seriously, i'd get sparrow to start a thread about the raptors getting butler if i knew the mods weren't gonna lock it. that's pretty much the purpose of this thread. i would start it myself, but everyone knows that the dude with the green font don't have no inside sources.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
OneTime86
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#10 » by OneTime86 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:28 am

I'm down.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,537

Post#11 » by DG88 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:28 am

Chad Ford inside sources told him the there is a deal in works between Toronto and Washington for Caron Butler.
sparrow
Junior

Post#12 » by sparrow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:31 am

]

LOL did you not read/understand the OP?[/quote]

I read titles.... I thought this was supposed to be a rumor thread?[/quote]

no its more a discussion of the internet's influence on mainstream media coverage of the Nba and sports in general
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#13 » by Indiana Jones » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:32 am

i doubt any american news outlet would ever pickup a story originating on this forum. now, the canadian media, on the other hand, probably frequents this site more than we think.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#14 » by Boogie! » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:34 am

Indiana Jones wrote:i doubt any american news outlet would ever pickup a story originating on this forum. now, the canadian media, on the other hand, probably frequents this site more than we think.

that's exactly my point though. our media picks it up. then they're media hears our media say it, so they start talking about it. i'm wondering if that's how it works with these guys, and it seems like it is.
BernardKing33
Sophomore

Post#15 » by BernardKing33 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:37 am

Indiana Jones wrote:i doubt any american news outlet would ever pickup a story originating on this forum. now, the canadian media, on the other hand, probably frequents this site more than we think.

Speaking of which, Sportsnet just reported that Greg Oden's penis is the #1 prospect in the 2010 draft.
sparrow
Junior

Post#16 » by sparrow » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:42 am

i honestly believe in this day and age with so many writers and so many media forms/outlets that it is completely conceivable that some of the stories that emerge, especially trade rumors, are total fabrications lifted from internet forums. Not directly mind you. You see it all the time were a story, like the death of a celebrity, emerges from twitter or something.
why22
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#17 » by why22 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:43 am

Boogie! wrote:i started this thread because i'm frustrated at every us media announcer talking about how chris bosh is leaving. i always wonder how these rumours start and who these "inside sources" are. because a lot of the time, it's hogwash, and more opinion than fact, though i'm sure there are bits of truth here and there.

i was wondering, say we started a rumour on this board that was completely out of left field. nothing personal about players, just basketball related. for example, something like, "raptors deal for caron butler almost finalized." now say we got everyone on the board to be in on the joke and pretend to accept this as truth because a poster got it from an "inside source" and we got the thread to 100 pages. then it spread to the other boards etc etc and everyone started believing it. do you think it would make it onto a major sports network? even locally? and announcers would be talking about it? i know these kinds of threads are frowned upon and whenever someone posts a rumour thread without fact, they get locked. but wouldn't it be fun to start an inside joke rumour as an experiment of sorts to see if we could actually get it into the media and prove how much the media says is a crock of ****? just throwing it out there, but mods can lock if they feel this thread is unacceptable.

it actually sounds like fun to be in, maybe colangelo will hear it, like the idea and work the same voddo hypnotic thing he worked with the belineli trade

get er done
Basketball_Jones wrote:BC holding Casey accountable would go like this:

BC: so I see you played Andrea quite a bit there when he was struggling
Casey: yeah I know, we needed spacing
BC: play him more (walks away)
LebronMJ23
Banned User

Post#18 » by LebronMJ23 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:18 am

fuq'n love this idea....I would like to take the lead on this project. I have a mountain of experience in the art of deception. Mods let me know if there is a position available for this job as I am formally requesting my participation in this scheme to conduct scientific reseach on the art of media deception and rumors.

Thank You

Lebron Jamison
Boobs
Banned User
And1: 140

Post#19 » by Boobs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:39 am

I think it would be funnier if we did something with a player personally.

Like Jerry Stackhouse gets a pre-nup with his wife.

It'd be hilarious to see that blow up and the reaction when he gets asked that by a reporter.

______
Kingz
mumoy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#20 » by mumoy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:54 am

Where did that bynum for bosh rumor originate? That one made it to ESPN haha I don't follow basketball news much outside of realgm/score but i normally read about the rumours here hours, sometimes days, before i hear it anywhere else.

In other news, Nuggets are looking to deal Billups for Hedo + Calderon
thizznation wrote:KG blowing dudes isn't really news

Return to Toronto Raptors