ImageImageImageImageImage

Arthur: Time for the Raptors to roll the dice (Arenas?!)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Would you welcome Gilbert Arenas to the Raptors?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 92

Zarko
Veteran
And1: 208

Re: Arthur: Time for the Raptors to roll the dice (Arenas?!) 

Post#41 » by Zarko » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:23 am

dagger wrote:
kush- wrote:my ideal trade:

arenas/blatche/future1st for calderon/banks/reggie

I don't know about Blatche from Washington's perpective, and no, no reason to give both Banks and Reggie from ours. That's far too generous in the cap relief area. Washington would have to take Turk, or provide added compensation.

you DO know what blatche has been doing since the all star break right?

You do remember him killing the raptors no?
The iL MaGo Era BEGINS
kush-
Veteran
And1: 64

Post#42 » by kush- » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:23 am

Zarko wrote:

they would never give up blatche

to get rid of arenas, who has burned all bridges with the city, i think they might. blatche definitely exploded since haywood left, and he is the real deal, but I don't think washington sees him as an allstar or a piece to build around just yet.

then again, i have no confidence in BC stealing us a deal.
sanity on Jeremy Lin:
sanity wrote: Roko Ukic's court vision and play-making abilities far exceeds this player... I'm shocked this thread is going on as long as it has. Comparing Lin to Rautins is an insult to Rautins.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#43 » by Southward1 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:25 am

I do the trade if Hedo and Calderon go and the team doesn't trade a first or Demar.

Arenas/Jack
Marco/
Derozan/Weems
Bosh/Evans
Bargnani/Amir

fill in the blanks with mle...they could do worse
Zarko
Veteran
And1: 208

Post#44 » by Zarko » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:27 am

kush- wrote:
Zarko wrote:

to get rid of arenas, who has burned all bridges with the city, i think they might. blatche definitely exploded since haywood left, and he is the real deal, but I don't think washington sees him as an allstar or a piece to build around just yet.

Of course not, but in a few years? They are rebuilding around Mcgee and blatche, trying to do an okc like young team. If they really wanted to get rid of Arenas they could get a better bad contract out there then hedo.

Blatche will never be involved coming to T.O and a Calderon/Banks/Reggie for Arenas/filler/1st is a fine deal..

Arenas
Derozan
Turk
Bosh
Bargs

Then this off season if bosh doesn't like it we can move him for a defensive center... and to the people saying arenas is done, he was putting up 24/6/5 this season for a good period of time..so..
The iL MaGo Era BEGINS
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#45 » by Canucklehead » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:29 am

No on Gilbert. What we really want to become the Knicks?

If his contract ended 2 years from now maybe but it goes and goes.
kush-
Veteran

Post#46 » by kush- » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:29 am

Southward1 wrote:I do the trade if Hedo and Calderon go and the team doesn't trade a first or Demar.

Arenas/Jack
Marco/
Derozan/Weems
Bosh/Evans
Bargnani/Amir

nah.. washington would only make a trade for salary relief. if they take both turkoglu and jose, they really wouldn't be saving all that much money, a lateral move
sanity on Jeremy Lin:
sanity wrote: Roko Ukic's court vision and play-making abilities far exceeds this player... I'm shocked this thread is going on as long as it has. Comparing Lin to Rautins is an insult to Rautins.
Canucklehead
Veteran

Post#47 » by Canucklehead » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:33 am

Zarko wrote:

Maybe not but need I remind you Arenas has 4! I said 4 years of a max contract that's disgusting and the dude is proven to be a gun toting cancer that is either injured/suspended or disrupting the locker room
kush-
Veteran

Post#48 » by kush- » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:34 am

Zarko wrote:
kush- wrote:
Zarko wrote:

Of course not, but in a few years? They are rebuilding around Mcgee and blatche, trying to do an okc like young team. If they really wanted to get rid of Arenas they could get a better bad contract out there then hedo.

Blatche will never be involved coming to T.O and a Calderon/Banks/Reggie for Arenas/filler/1st is a fine deal..

Arenas
Derozan
Turk
Bosh
Bargs

Then this off season if bosh doesn't like it we can move him for a defensive center... and to the people saying arenas is done, he was putting up 24/6/5 this season for a good period of time..so..

first of all.. my proposed trade involved jose and not hedo, but I am curious, which "horrible contract" could washington swap arenas for that is better than hedo?

second of all, your modified trade which excludes blatche would not be fair for Toronto... especially with the upcoming CBA, the proposed trade will save washington over 50mil... Toronto would demand much more than just a 1st rounder for that kind of salary relief
sanity on Jeremy Lin:
Canucklehead
Veteran

Post#49 » by Canucklehead » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:35 am

Southward1 wrote:I do the trade if Hedo and Calderon go and the team doesn't trade a first or Demar.

Arenas/Jack
Marco/
Derozan/Weems
Bosh/Evans
Bargnani/Amir

This is about the only trade getting close to reasonable.
kush-
Veteran

Post#50 » by kush- » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:36 am

again.. washington would not do a trade that provides no cap relief...

sending them both hedo and jose is out of the question
sanity on Jeremy Lin:
KRANG
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,319

Post#51 » by KRANG » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:36 am

Has it really come to this ?
Courtesy of Turbo_Zone
rapsfanfolife
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#52 » by rapsfanfolife » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:38 am

kush- wrote:
raptor fans come up with the dumbest (most unrealistic) trades, seriously

cereally
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#53 » by J Dilla » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:45 am

I don't care about what Gilbert does off the court, but with his knees and everything this move just doesn't seem right, and that depends on who we're giving up.

I'm looking at his stats as I type, and they seem pretty good for a guy with major knee issues. Who knows, this long term suspension was probably a blessing in disguise. Gives his knees that extra rest.

If Calderon+Banks+Evans can get it done, I'd say BC do it tommorow.

If the Raptors really had a chance to complete a Monta/Jose swap, I'd say they completely blew it. I'd prefer Monta over Gilbert, and with Stephen Curry on the rise, BC should be making offers from Monta in the offseason.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#54 » by Trilogy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:52 am

Taking Gilbert back would at the very least have Turk going the other way with likely Calderon's poor contract going along too.

Sell them on the good guy image thing, and get fairly neutral contracts going in and out with only difference being Arenas last year where Jose is off the books.

It'd be a beyond ballsy move, but that's the only permutation I'd really consider, adding his salary without giving up at least what we are taking in would be bad move.
Janraj
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#55 » by Janraj » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 am

kush- wrote:
Janraj wrote:I think this guy might be on to something with NO not wanting to pay CP3 if Collison continues to perform. I say a package of Jose, Evans (expiring), Banks (expiring) and DD could put us in the playing field to get CP3. Hell I would even throw in our first round draft pick (if we dont make playoffs that is) for the following line up:

Paul/JJ
Weems/Belli
Turk/
Bosh/
Bargs/

plus we have some money to spend in the offseason with Wrong, Amir, and Rasho coming off the books. I know we may not have great depth, but if we make playoffs and tighten the rotation to 8-9 players, our team can definitely make some loud noise.

Remember Paul would make everyone on the roster much better, thats why I think Weems could start with Paul by his side. If Weems plays tough defense and hustles, he should be fine with CP3.

You Sir, have to get off the crack. You think offering an extremely overpaid PG (negative value), expirings, and a raw rookie will net you the BEST POINT GUARD ON THE PLANET? You might as well try to get Lebron for Turkoglu...

raptor fans come up with the dumbest (most unrealistic) trades, seriously

Ok bro, first of all, NO is paying more than $16 M for their PG position next year. By taking Caldy, they are only spending something around $11 M. Secondly, Derozan has alot of upside, but more importantly, his contract is very low for the next 3 years. Thirdly, NO gets to look forward to $9 M in expirings. These three ideas right here are perfect for a team like NO that wants to get under their taxes. Also if we throw in a first round draft pick, if we miss playoffs, thats a top 15 talent to add to that package. NO will consider it, because if Kwame brown's expiring can net Pau Gasol to the lakers, anything is possible. Maybe you should put down the crack pipe and open up your mind.
Trilogy
RealGM
And1: 3,584

Post#56 » by Trilogy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:01 am

No way we get CP3.

OKC steps in with a TE offering instant relief (created via their cap space), Harden/Westbrook/both plus picks and some other filler.

That offer blows us out of the god damn water.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#57 » by dagger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:08 am

J Dilla wrote:I don't care about what Gilbert does off the court, but with his knees and everything this move just doesn't seem right, and that depends on who we're giving up.

I'm looking at his stats as I type, and they seem pretty good for a guy with major knee issues. Who knows, this long term suspension was probably a blessing in disguise. Gives his knees that extra rest.

If Calderon+Banks+Evans can get it done, I'd say BC do it tommorow.

If the Raptors really had a chance to complete a Monta/Jose swap, I'd say they completely blew it. I'd prefer Monta over Gilbert, and with Stephen Curry on the rise, BC should be making offers from Monta in the offseason.

If GSW turned down O.J. Mayo for Monta, do you serious think they were ready to take Jose?
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#58 » by dagger » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:09 am

A few weeks ago ESPN had an article which said Arenas was the worst defensive point guard of all starting PG in the past five years. Seriously, even if he got 20 points per game, we'd be just as bad if not worse defensively. We'd be winning, or losing, by scores of 135-125 every time.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#59 » by timdunkit » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:16 am

Ummmm no thanks ... BC has the expirings of Evans/Banks and DD+draft pick which should be able to net us a all-star caliber player.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#60 » by sanity » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:19 am

Unless you enjoy the prospect of Arenas isoing at the top of the 3-pt line and hoisting a contested jumpshot over his defender, you probably won't like his decision making on half court sets.

Be mad at Calderon all you want, he's better at running an offense. Areans is obviously the better individual talent, able to hit bail-out shots with regularity, but I'd rather take poise and a team player at a much lesser contract. Calderon might be overpaid, but what Arenas is making is ludicrous.

Return to Toronto Raptors