ImageImageImageImageImage

Arthur: Time for the Raptors to roll the dice (Arenas?!)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Would you welcome Gilbert Arenas to the Raptors?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 92

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,411

Re: Arthur: Time for the Raptors to roll the dice (Arenas?!) 

Post#61 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:29 am

In the words of Bosh: "Hell No".
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#62 » by sule » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:15 am

Here's what I would do. And it doesn't involve getting Arenas.

First of all, we need to either split the MLE on two bigs or use it for one capable SG.

- I want to say spend it on Ginobili, but he's 33, and a MLE contract will mean we see him longer than his head sees hair. Not something I really want, unless BC plans to go all out. Besides, Manu can play some defense, knows how to play to a defined role, and knows how to play with a quiet big who requires the ball and can get it done.

- That said, call me crazy, but I think we're better off splitting the MLE between a Darko and Kwame Brown. Both are capable defenders when given the opportunity. Neither need to score, and both are big and can play physical. They're also cheap and will probably take what they can get just to stay in the league. So a year or two commitment to either or both wouldn't kill us.

- Let Wright go.

- If we don't make the playoffs, maybe we can trade Calderon + draft pick for Devin Harris. He can play defense and score. He's not a great option, but he's basically the combo guard they expect Jack to be. With Harris, we could move him to SG and Jack to PG. NJ gets a PG and another draft pick. Since they probably won't get the 1st pick anyway, they'll miss out on Wall and draft Turner (a SG), whom they can pair with a pass-first PG like Calderon.

- I think we end up keeping Evans and Banks as end-of-the-bench guys

- Let POB go. Love his twitter account, but it's a harsh reality that we probably don't need him and he isn't going to get much playing time here anyway.

- draft Kalin Lucas with our 2nd round pick

- Oh yeah, and we do the Harris deal on draft day, to show Bosh we're serious about keeping him, so instead of following through with the emotional choice of leaving us (after we've missed the playoffs, and sucked it up for the last two months...like we did during the 41-41 season), he decides to sign and wait it out for a year before demanding a trade.

Our lineup would look something like:

Bargnani/Kwame Brown
Bosh/Milicic/Evans
Turkoglu/Weems
Harris/DeRozan
Jack/Banks/Kalin Lucas

(DeRozan and Weems would be our 6th and 7th men off the bench)
Double Y
Sixth Man
And1: 49

Post#63 » by Double Y » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:15 am

Trilogy wrote:No way we get CP3.

OKC steps in with a TE offering instant relief (created via their cap space), Harden/Westbrook/both plus picks and some other filler.

That offer blows us out of the god damn water.

+1

Exactly. The problem isn't what we can offer NO, the problem is the other 28 teams that will try to offer something even better. I can't possibly see what we have beating all the others, unless we're willing to include Bosh in a sign-and-trade. NO with Bosh and Collison looks real good, but then what about Green?

Getting back to Arenas, definitely no. It's like the best offensive team (well, close enough) needing another shooter who needs the ball in his hands and won't defend. Taking away all the negatives of Arenas, he still isn't what this team needs, which is defence and toughness. If I want a nutcase, I'd take someone like Artest or Jackson (Stephen,) neither of whom are available. But Agent 0 just isn't the right fit for this team.
stopnpop
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#64 » by stopnpop » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 am

in a heartbeat. Arenas/Demar/Hedo/Bosh/Bargs with Jack/Amir/Wright off the bench..thats sic....if they would take jose/evans/banks/weems, id do it
SDM
RealGM
And1: 947

Post#65 » by SDM » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:52 am

The author brought up a really good point. There are a lot of players in the range of what Calderon, Turk, Evans/Banks, and Bargnani make in terms of salary.

The Raptors are in a position to shift the more expendable pieces, like Calderon or the expirings, for other players that might work. Evans/Banks could net us someone like Dalembert or Andre Miller next year (Roy's making a ton, Oden will need to be re-signed, etc) and Calderon might be flipped for Gordon, or something of the sort. Obviously, I'm just thinking out loud... Jefferson, AK47, Ariza, could all work... Arenas, however, is the only change at dumping Turk's deal.

Dalembert/Bargnani
Bosh/Bargnani
Hedo/Weems
Gordon/DD
Jack/MLE

Lots of possible trade partners and possible trade scenarios. I'm not necessarily for any of these moves, I just don't see how our situation is really all that dire. Lots of teams are in the same boat as us when it comes to roster flexibility and will make a move for a similar contract for the hell of it if it could pay off.
Stretch82
Veteran
And1: 5

Post#66 » by Stretch82 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Iguoudala would be a perfect fit, not just because he's an athletic, good offensive player, but also because he's a damn fine defender. Our backcourt needs someone who is a good defender. Arenas wouldn't solve any of our defensive problems and we'd have yet another player in our starting lineup who needs the ball in his hands.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#67 » by J-Roc » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Arthur needs to move this to the trade board.
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#68 » by Dr Octagon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:40 pm

Hedo for Arenas.

All. Day. Long.
beno
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#69 » by beno » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:02 pm

Yet another high-risk, low-reward investment ala JO.
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#70 » by Too Late Crew » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:25 pm

stopnpop wrote:in a heartbeat. Arenas/Demar/Hedo/Bosh/Bargs with Jack/Amir/Wright off the bench..thats sic....if they would take jose/evans/banks/weems, id do it

Problem is Jay in all his wisdom would see fit to start Jarenadoo

Jack
Arenas
Hedo
Bosh
Bargs

So we'd have an average at best PG a horrible undersized Sg defender, a old slow SF defender Bosh who's adequate at best and a clueless defensive center.

Plus you now have 3 ball handlers.

If you think this team is bad with Cackadoo wait till you get a load of Jack standing in one corner waiting paitiently for a pass, Gibert pounding the ball , Hedo sulking becuase areans is poundingh the ball , Bargs staring up at the sky becuase he knows he won't get the ball and Bsoh screaming for the ball . Disaster
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#71 » by gerrit4 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:48 pm

I don't mean to hate on Turk, but if we want to get out from that contract Arenas may be the way to go.

Trading Turk & Jose + filler for Arenas would be bad contracts for bad contract. I'll bet Washington does that because I don't think any team offers expirings for Gilbert. Trading Jose & expirings would be a terrible trade...
KG1585
Head Coach
And1: 248

Post#72 » by KG1585 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Arenas has not been the same since his knee injuries. Plus the Raps would most likely be in the luxury tax with his and Bosh's contract. So, no.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#73 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:24 pm

I'd be pretty gunshy (blaaaargh) about making a deal for Arenas because of his knees, not whatever off-the-court crap went on. But I would seriously consider dealing Turk & Calderon for Arenas & Washington's lottery pick this year if we liked what was available in the draft. We owe those two only about $6.5 million less combined than we would Arenas.

I'm quite sure this is complete and utter desperation talking but I'm just so sick of watching this particular group of losers loaf around. Maybe a new group of losers would be more fun?
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#74 » by deeps6x » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:07 pm

I'm with Rhettmatic on this one. Hedo+Jose for Gil+1st may not be an upgrade, may cost more long term, may not fit as well with the rest of the team, but this team isn't working.

Change could be good. Couldn't make it much worse.

Of course, if Gil gets a felony conviction it can't happen.

Jose has some injury concerns, but not in Gil's league. That would be the part I'd be most worried about.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#75 » by Raptors Realtor » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:08 pm

No thanks, I'll pass on Arenas... too many intangibles...

...but I'll take Chris Paul, and his max contract, any day of the week!!!
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#76 » by Komodo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:12 pm

I'd consider it for the talent upgrade alone, but ultimately, I think it would catastrophic. His next four years:

$17,730,693
$19,269,307
$20,807,921
$22,346,535

Assume Bosh making 20, and we are embedded in the tax.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,411

Post#77 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:14 pm

Double Y wrote:
Trilogy wrote:No way we get CP3.

OKC steps in with a TE offering instant relief (created via their cap space), Harden/Westbrook/both plus picks and some other filler.

That offer blows us out of the god damn water.

+1

Exactly. The problem isn't what we can offer NO, the problem is the other 28 teams that will try to offer something even better. I can't possibly see what we have beating all the others, unless we're willing to include Bosh in a sign-and-trade. NO with Bosh and Collison looks real good, but then what about Green?

Derozan + Bargnani + Evans + Banks, that's two promising young players, plus nearly $10 million in expirings, I'd say that's pretty enticing. We'd receive CP3, and any bad contract(s) of their choice.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#78 » by deeps6x » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:24 pm

I'd love to have CP3 on this team. But we couldn't have him, Bosh, and the high priced contracts of Jose and Hedo on the same team. Not to mention Bargs, but I can't see BC moving him for anyone short of LeBron.

Personally, I'd do Bargs, Jose and Hedo for CP3+filler. Just saying, BC wouldn't and the NO GM wouldn't either.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Post#79 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:50 pm

There are really high Raptor fans if they think we could get CP3 for pure expiring deals like Evans, Banks + Calderon's long term deal.

New Orleans would laugh you off the phone with that garbage, pure homertastic deals here
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#80 » by RapsFanInVA » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:51 pm

yes! more ugly contracts! never give up on the dream of making the 2nd round!

Return to Toronto Raptors