ImageImageImageImageImage

Arthur: Time for the Raptors to roll the dice (Arenas?!)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Would you welcome Gilbert Arenas to the Raptors?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 92

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Arthur: Time for the Raptors to roll the dice (Arenas?!) 

Post#1 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:34 am

National Post columnist Bruce Arthur succumbed to the panic and ran through some options for the Raps:

More here: http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/stor ... z0hvgoE4eD

Don't panic, but ... OK, maybe go ahead and panic, Raptors fans. Let's draw the line at looting, or gunplay. For the moment, anyway. We are a civilized, sane and rational people, up here.

Which is what makes it funny that the decline of the Toronto Raptors has gotten to the point where I'm making up trade scenarios in my spare time, and there's no limit to the crazy.

But hey, it's the time for fever dreams, which helps to explain the imaginary trades. Like, say, offering Jose Calderon and the expiring contracts of Marcus Banks and Reggie Evans to Washington for - wait for it - Gilbert Arenas.

And so clearly, something needs to happen. Either the Raptors need to rediscover their guts and cohesion and finish the season strong - hey, if they play Boston in the first round there's a solid chance that Kevin Garnett's knee could fall off, allowing Toronto to extend the series to at least six games - or they need to make a change. Or maybe both.

Because if Bosh leaves, what you have is long-term contracts that belong to Calderon (three more years, US$30-million), Andrea Bargnani (five years, US$50-million), and Hedo Turkoglu (four years, US$44-million, endless jokes about pizza, paparazzi, and "ball"). Appetizing? Not even when you throw in the jokes.

So, maybe it becomes time to roll the dice. Again. (See Jermaine O'Neal, Shawn Marion, and Turkoglu.)

Sure, if you're the Raptors you make a call on Chris Paul first, just in case cash-strapped New Orleans is tired of paying the best point guard in basketball US$15- or US$16-million every year when it can pay rookie Darren Collison about 10% of that to just be pretty good.

Or you inquire about Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala, who was reported to be on the block for salary relief at the trade deadline, and offer, say, DeMar DeRozan, Banks, Evans, and a No. 1. Or you call Minnesota about Al Jefferson, or Golden State about anybody, or Detroit just to see what a Ben Gordon or a Tayshaun Prince is going for these days. You offer to absorb salary, along with talent.

But assuming those teams can do better than the assets Toronto has to offer - and don't ask about trading Bargnani, because I'm willing to bet Colangelo will voluntarily don a Bikini Inspector T-shirt before moving his most prized Italian - you're faced with the puzzle of how to add superstar talent at a discount price.

And so, this largely weightless discussion comes back to Gilbert. Assuming he doesn't go to jail for a year or more when he's sentenced on March 26, he'll be owed about US$80-million over the next four years. Washington has already given away Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler and Brendan Haywood for salary relief, and with a new collective bargaining agreement threatening to chop salaries, Arenas has the worst contract in the NBA.

But he has talent, too. Sure, he's surgically repaired and will have played 47 NBA games in three years and may just be a Grade-A loon, but in his last full month of play Arenas averaged an inefficient but notable 25.2 points, 7.6 assists, 5.0 rebounds, and 1.4 steals in 15 games. The guy might be hell on earth to play with at times, but he can play.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,773

Re: Arthur: Time for the Raptors to roll the dice (Arenas?!) 

Post#2 » by Michael Jordan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:37 am

Like, say, offering Jose Calderon and the expiring contracts of Marcus Banks and Reggie Evans to Washington for - wait for it - Gilbert Arenas.

I`m down
Carnage
Starter
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Carnage » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 am

**** it, lets go for it.

Lets swing for the fences.
Red Star
Pro Prospect
And1: 264

Post#4 » by Red Star » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:40 am

gilbert will ad that extra push that raptors need. Him and bosh would be a good duo, especially if it's for calderon.
BROTHERHOOD + UNITY = TORONTO RAPTORS
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,222

Re: Arthur: Time for the Raptors to roll the dice (Uh...Arenas?) 

Post#5 » by Shaazzam » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:40 am

Normally I'm the type of idiot to plug my nose ans say "DO IT! GET THE TALENT UPGRADE!"

But god damn that's a hell of a contract for a healthy player, never mind Arenas' knees.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Hobo Gonzolez
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Hobo Gonzolez » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:41 am

BC is going to give Washington a first round pick if this deal happens.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,025

Post#8 » by C Court » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:41 am

No way. Forget about the off-court issues ... his best days are way behind him.

That said, as a convicted felon he likely can't legally enter Canada.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#9 » by EventHorizon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:41 am

I still believe in Gilbert Arenas. But what will happen to Turkoglu? Will he become a 10 million role player/6th man? If we can trade him for ANYBODY it will be better for the team.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,222

Post#10 » by Shaazzam » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:44 am

Centre Court wrote:No way. Forget about the off-court issues ... his best days are way behind him.

That said, as a convicted felon he likely can't legally enter Canada.

He doesn't have that explosion in his step anymore. He's still strong, but that burst that separated him is no more.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#11 » by Rhettmatic » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:44 am

EventHorizon wrote:I still believe in Gilbert Arenas. But what will happen to Turkoglu? Will he become a 10 million role player/6th man? If we can trade him for ANYBODY it will be better for the team.

He adds in at the end of the column (I didn't want to post too much) that the Raps might be able to replace Calderon with Turkoglu in the trade since the Wizards will be desperate to move Arenas:

And if you're Washington, and an offer to save you US$40-million in long-term salary obligations and free you of Agent Zero crosses your desk, you jump at it like Gilbert Arenas at a plea deal, right? You might even agree if Turkoglu is substituted for Calderon, but remember, some dreams have limits.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Janraj
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#12 » by Janraj » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:44 am

I think this guy might be on to something with NO not wanting to pay CP3 if Collison continues to perform. I say a package of Jose, Evans (expiring), Banks (expiring) and DD could put us in the playing field to get CP3. Hell I would even throw in our first round draft pick (if we dont make playoffs that is) for the following line up:

Paul/JJ
Weems/Belli
Turk/
Bosh/
Bargs/

plus we have some money to spend in the offseason with Wrong, Amir, and Rasho coming off the books. I know we may not have great depth, but if we make playoffs and tighten the rotation to 8-9 players, our team can definitely make some loud noise.

Remember Paul would make everyone on the roster much better, thats why I think Weems could start with Paul by his side. If Weems plays tough defense and hustles, he should be fine with CP3.
Cool-Hand-Luke
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,530

Post#13 » by Cool-Hand-Luke » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:45 am

How the heck would hedo and gilbert share the ball??
Would this be with bosh leaving?? I think calderfon is our best chip in a trade.
sig by TZ
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,752

Post#14 » by James_Raptors » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:45 am

So after listing the bad contracts we have going forward his solution is to trade for the worst contract in the NBA? Taking a risk is one thing, but Arenas comes with the issues of : contract, health and off-court problems.

I vote no.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
Attonitus
Senior
And1: 20

Post#15 » by Attonitus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:45 am

Jack, DeRozan, and Johnson for CP3

:D
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#16 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:46 am

I brought this up a while ago, and suggested you could leverage Washington for like 3 unprotected 1sts and dump a lot of contracts to take on Gil. It's the kind of move that could make or break you.
Hobo Gonzolez
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#18 » by Hobo Gonzolez » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:46 am

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... izards.jsp
That seems like a reasonable contract.
Cool-Hand-Luke
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,530

Post#19 » by Cool-Hand-Luke » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:46 am

Janraj wrote:I think this guy might be on to something with NO not wanting to pay CP3 if Collison continues to perform. I say a package of Jose, Evans (expiring), Banks (expiring) and DD could put us in the playing field to get CP3. Hell I would even throw in our first round draft pick (if we dont make playoffs that is) for the following line up:

Paul/JJ
Weems/Belli
Turk/
Bosh/
Bargs/

plus we have some money to spend in the offseason with Wrong, Amir, and Rasho coming off the books. I know we may not have great depth, but if we make playoffs and tighten the rotation to 8-9 players, our team can definitely make some loud noise.

Cp3 in Toronto would be a dream and will stay a dream....one can only wish CP3 + T.O. = Conf. Finals
sig by TZ
James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,752

Post#20 » by James_Raptors » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:47 am

...and for the record, of the names he listed (assuming CP3 isn't an option) I've coveted Iggy for the past few seasons. I really think he's precisely what this team has needed.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater

Return to Toronto Raptors