What will it take to get Parker?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

What will it take to get Parker? 

Post#1 » by BarneyGumble » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Assuming Jazz dont luck out and land a top 2 pick, what will it take to get Jabari?

Jazz have many trade pieces that should be attractive to some teams. Favors, Kanter, Burke, Burkes are all nice trade pieces. If Hayward agreed to a sign and trade (not likely) that is another piece.

What would it take for the Jazz to get Parker? What would you be willing to give up?

I'd be willing to part with Kanter to get a lineup of:

Burke
Burkes
Hayward
Parker
Favors

If we could somehow get rid of Hayward and get Parker that would be ideal:

Burke
Burkes
Parker
Favors
Kanter
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Re: What will it take to get Parker? 

Post#2 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:57 pm

With the caveat that a lot can (and will likely) change between now and the draft, there are several of scenarios where Parker is still available at 3.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 pm

The problem I see with each of those lineups is that the defense will be just as bad as it is now if not worse. It is obviously just guesswork at this point, but Parker is considered to be a poor defender (which is a fair assessment from what I've seen of him), and probably won't be a better rebounder than Kanter. So the Jazz will be better offensively but still very poor defensively (Parker at the 3) and\or with rebounding issues (if it is Parker instead of Kanter at 4), since we aren't really changing the rest of the lineup all that much.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:The problem I see with each of those lineups is that the defense will be just as bad as it is now if not worse.

I'm a big believer that the right coach can turn mediocre individual defenders into an above average defensive team.

If the Jazz landed Parker, I think you'd see him become the starting PF eventually. With that in mind, I'd be willing to part with Kanter to get him.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#5 » by BarneyGumble » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:20 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:The problem I see with each of those lineups is that the defense will be just as bad as it is now if not worse.

I'm a big believer that the right coach can turn mediocre individual defenders into an above average defensive team.

If the Jazz landed Parker, I think you'd see him become the starting PF eventually. With that in mind, I'd be willing to part with Kanter to get him.

I agree with this. I also believe that all else being equal, Parker has a chance to be a Star in the NBA...which Im not sure Kanter or Favors have. There is so much to being a star, from performance on the court, to charisma with the media, to ability to be a "face" of a franchise, to marketability.

It absolutely takes having a star on your team to go deep in the playoffs and contend. Thats the formula for success in the NBA. This is why I think the Jazz must do whatever they can to get Parker...some combination of a current player + the GSW pick.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#6 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:
StocktonShorts wrote:

I agree with this. I also believe that all else being equal, Parker has a chance to be a Star in the NBA...which Im not sure Kanter or Favors have. There is so much to being a star, from performance on the court, to charisma with the media, to ability to be a "face" of a franchise, to marketability.

It absolutely takes having a star on your team to go deep in the playoffs and contend. Thats the formula for success in the NBA. This is why I think the Jazz must do whatever they can to get Parker...some combination of a current player + the GSW pick.

I agree with both of you. I guess I'm still under the impression of this season and how the defense looked. A different coach could definitely make a big difference on the defensive end.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#7 » by idajazz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:34 pm

anybody on the team............
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#8 » by Luigi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 pm

I'm not sure Parker is the guy we want. We need a focal point, a perennial all star.

Parker is a team player. I don't see him being the star that leads us into contention.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#9 » by JazzMatt13 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 pm

I personally want Wiggins. I don't want just a shooter, unless I got 2 bigs who eat glass offensively, which we have if we play them correctly. I don't want to run this Jazz team with a shooting all-star like Jabari might be. You know how Kobe and Melo go, where they have high usage and high volume shooting, I don't care if they are consistent on top, I don't want that being our main offense. But Jabari could be more than just a shooter for us, but I don't think his defense is there, not like Wiggins.

If Burks and Wiggins could eat the paint up, and our full front court can play major defense, with Favors being our Bill Russell, Kanter our Malone, and Wiggins our perimeter defender. I think we can be a top ten in both offensive and defensive next year. Trey Burke can take us to playoffs, we just need consistency from the team.

Honestly, at this point I would take anything I get. I don't need playoffs next year, but I do want progress.
kebutah
Analyst
And1: 99

Post#10 » by kebutah » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:50 pm

Of the top draft selections all are more team oriented except Marcus Smart. He is an alpha dog. I have not seen enough of Exum to assess his alpha status.
JDubb211
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#11 » by JDubb211 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:56 am

It would depend on where he slides and imho I think it would take quite a bit to grab him. Our two first round picks and another future first and maybe even a player+second round pick+cash

Sent from my LG-LG870 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Sparky6string
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#12 » by Sparky6string » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:14 am

And I'm for Embiid. I saw one mock draft (Bleacher Report) that had us taking him at #4. I hope so, and I hope he doesn't turn out to be the next Oden.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,060

Post#13 » by FJS » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:00 am

StocktonShorts wrote:

You are right. Boozer or Korver looked like pretty weak defenders in Jazz systems. Said could be said to guys like Dunleavy, Nate robinson.... but Thibbs always know how his team look like a great deffensive team.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#14 » by reapaman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Boozer is still a defense liability on the bulls to the point that Thibbs stills regularly subs Boozer out for Gibson in crucial moments especially in the 4th quarter. You want your best offensive players to be on the floor and able to have a meaningful contribution in tightly contest games primarily in the playoffs which Boozer still can't because he allows too many easy points.

Parkers defensive potential at this point is not good and I don't care what coach you have or what system it is, your not gonna make a bad defender reliable in high pressure moments and their bad defense will significantly hurt your team.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#15 » by GANGSTERDOG » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:35 am

Hypothetically speaking....

You get exum
We get Parker.....

Exum Favors
For
Parker and #12 in Draft?

Would you do it?
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by StocktonShorts » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:23 pm

GANGSTERDOG wrote:Hypothetically speaking....

You get exum
We get Parker.....

Exum Favors
For
Parker and #12 in Draft?

Would you do it?

Not a chance.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#17 » by erudite23 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Where are we starting?

It takes a lot more to move from 4 to 2 than from 6 to 2. If, for example, it ends up Sixers/Magic/Bucks/Jazz and the Magic do indeed have a big thing for Exum, it wouldn't take a terrible lot to draft Exum at 4 and swap him for the Magic at 2. We could probably get away with the GSW pick and maybe this year's 2nd rounder + cash or something in the vicinity. That's the most favorable situation.

But we if we have to get him from 6....that will take a lot more. There's a big dropoff from the top 4 to the next tier of players, imo. So if we end up in those first 4 selections, I think we could maneuver to get whomever we want, with the possible exception of Wiggins. If we're sitting at 5 or 6, though, it won't be so easy.

I would prefer Wiggins, as well, but I would be willing to deal anyone or anything on the team just as long as its a decent value. For example, I would deal Favors, but I wouldn't deal our pick AND Favors like the poster above suggested. That's way too much going out and not enough coming in. But any single piece should be on the table, imo.

Return to Utah Jazz