The Enes Kanter Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Re: The Enes Kanter Thread 

Post#81 » by laika » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:37 am

I was thinking that maybe I'd been too harsh on Kanter, but he was atrocious on defense tonight- again. The only silver lining is that there aren't many centers as good as Howard in the league.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#82 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:55 am

Kanter might be thinking after tonight he should have taken what ever offer the Jazz made. Assuming they even made one.
freestyler34
Pro Prospect
And1: 459

Post#83 » by freestyler34 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Kanter might be thinking after tonight he should have taken what ever offer the Jazz made. Assuming they even made one.

Yea all of the Utah players played really well too bad they lost bcuz of Kanter
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#84 » by Reckless » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:27 am

Utah didn't lost their first two games because of Kanter but he sure didn't help
freestyler34
Pro Prospect
And1: 459

Post#85 » by freestyler34 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:39 am

Reckless wrote:Utah didn't lost their first two games because of Kanter but he sure didn't help

Too bad he couldnt score 30 points in his 19 minutes to save the team
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#86 » by JazzMatt13 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:53 am

How long have we been saying:

"i hope kanter pans out later"?

"i wonder if Kanter could ever learn to defned"...."I wonder if Kanter could ever defend S4's."?

"I can't wait to see Kanter's potential"..............

Im beginning to think Kanter isn't this super-star PF who drafted in top 3. PF and Centers who don't play defense, don't become anything. Look at Booker. He has so many things that Kanter doesn't, but doesn't have scoring potential, but you would take bookers effort all day as a starter, over Kanter's points.

He is in 4th season. Big Al was in his 7th when he first played for Jazz. Al averaged 18.4 points a game in 3 seasons with us, and was a leader, who could keep this team at .500 or better. Kanter will never be any of those things, and will never have Big Al's offense game to boot.
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Post#87 » by DiscoLives4ever » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:43 pm

Just for comparisons sake: in Kanter's 41 minutes on the court the Jazz are -13. In Rudy's 32 minutes they are -23.

Just leaving that out there.

Of course Booker has the same number of minutes as Kanter and is only at -3, with the Dallas game going +8 to Enes's -12
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#88 » by idajazz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:25 pm

I'll just go ahead and say it, Kanter isn't and isn't going to be very good. :-( and I really wanted to see him pan out. I think that was a wasted pick.
It happens, I hope the organization realizes it, and makes a trade while there might still be a little value.
At this point I would rather see Evans getting some burn.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#89 » by zimpy27 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:22 pm

DiscoLives4ever wrote:Just for comparisons sake: in Kanter's 41 minutes on the court the Jazz are -13. In Rudy's 32 minutes they are -23.

Just leaving that out there.

Of course Booker has the same number of minutes as Kanter and is only at -3, with the Dallas game going +8 to Enes's -12

Kanter plays a good chunk of his minutes with the starting 5. Plus/minus doesn't matter unless it's a point guard because you don't know if they had the ball in the hands or were effective in anyway. If you watched the game you would have seen that he scored his points in junk time and was pulled early because his defense was Bargnani like.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#90 » by StocktonShorts » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:21 pm

idajazz wrote:I'll just go ahead and say it, Kanter isn't and isn't going to be very good. :-( and I really wanted to see him pan out. I think that was a wasted pick.

At least we didn't draft Jan Vesely or Derrick Williams.
Dozer!
Senior
And1: 46

Post#91 » by Dozer! » Sun Nov 2, 2014 8:00 pm

Starting to think he is on the same talent level. It might be just me, but it seems like every team we have played so far is using Kanter as the focal point of their offense. They attack him right out the gate, and what's maddening is, it seems like no one misses! Not even on switches, every shot that he tries to defend goes in!! That has to be disheartening for the other players.
cthunshammer
Sophomore
And1: 165

Post#92 » by cthunshammer » Mon Nov 3, 2014 1:38 am

Was pleased to see Kanter getting pulled about 1 minute into the Suns game, kudos to Quin on that. Seems like Kanter lacks the focus to keep a handle on the barrage of mental mistakes he makes.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#93 » by BudTugly » Mon Nov 3, 2014 2:22 am

Well he's not a PF. And he's never going to be as good as DF. And to top it off now we have Gobert.

There is no future for this dude in Utah. I hope the light comes on for him somewhere though.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#94 » by Luigi » Mon Nov 3, 2014 3:02 am

I'm starting to feel bad for Kanter. He didn't get an extension worked out, and he's got a lot of competition for minutes. I hope he succeeds.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
RaulLopez
Senior
And1: 17

Post#95 » by RaulLopez » Mon Nov 3, 2014 3:25 am

The 3rd quarter of the Suns game showed me one thing. Booker should be the starting PF. Kanter should play second and third level bigs. It was night and day when Kanter was in and then Booker replaced him when he picked up that 3rd foul. Booker was playing with all the other starters and the Jazz just clicked in. Booker plays defense, runs the floor, can actually hit a 3, instead of what Kanter does. Just shoot them and miss.

Booker needs 25 minute a game and Kanter needs like 15. Kanter just does not have enough basketball experience to be any good. He has the body. He has the touch. But he has no feel for the game. He needs to play against the backups and maybe over time the feel will come and he can be a starter in the league.

Please Quinn!! BENCH KANTER!!! Bring him in as the 3rd big. Only play him against backups. And limit his time. Because he is has a lot to learn.
The "Spanish Fly" came and went.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#96 » by Dry Fly » Mon Nov 3, 2014 3:48 pm

Kanter absolutely has to hit his open shots or he can't be on the floor. I think Evans probably deserves to be ahead of Kanter at the 4 based off of what we have seen this year so far.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#97 » by AK47MVP » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:40 pm

Why people talking about it only now? He was second worst in all NBA and worst player on the Jazz from those who played significant minutes ( otherwise Tinsley would be even worse then Kanter) in Roland rating last year which is based on your own vs opponent production and off on court data. Everybody was feasting on Kanter last year as well, it just did not look as bad since he scored some points himself. Now when he does not bang in the paint and bricks shots form the outside its becoming painfully obvious even for biggest homers.
He is best suited to be offensive spark of the bench when here can feast on subs.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#98 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 3, 2014 5:47 pm

AK47MVP wrote: Everybody was feasting on Kanter last year as well, it just did not look as bad since he scored some points himself. Now when he does not bang in the paint and bricks shots form the outside its becoming painfully obvious even for biggest homers.

You are correct, and that's exactly the point. Did anyone really think the Jazz are drafting a rim protector and a defensive stopper in Kanter? It is much easier to ignore defensive deficiencies when a player produces on the other end at a good level - the Hornets seem to be pretty happy with Big Al and rode him all the way to the playoffs (in the east, but still). It is obvious Kanter isn't a good defender at this stage - so taking him out of the offense by changing the system is the worst move the Jazz could ever do to his career.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#99 » by StocktonShorts » Mon Nov 3, 2014 8:22 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
AK47MVP wrote: Everybody was feasting on Kanter last year as well, it just did not look as bad since he scored some points himself. Now when he does not bang in the paint and bricks shots form the outside its becoming painfully obvious even for biggest homers.

You are correct, and that's exactly the point. Did anyone really think the Jazz are drafting a rim protector and a defensive stopper in Kanter? It is much easier to ignore defensive deficiencies when a player produces on the other end at a good level - the Hornets seem to be pretty happy with Big Al and rode him all the way to the playoffs (in the east, but still). It is obvious Kanter isn't a good defender at this stage - so taking him out of the offense by changing the system is the worst move the Jazz could ever do to his career.

I really disagree on this. Kanter was bad for the team offense last year. Sure, his individual numbers may have looked okay, but the team's offensive efficiency was worse with him on the court. I don't see any harm in asking him to do something besides be an Al-level ball-stopper.

From early on I thought Kanter's best-case scenario was Boozer: a power forward who can score inside through use of strength and footwork, hit 18-footers and pass the ball; and a guy whose limitations on defense are somewhat mitigated by his rebounding.

Unfortunately he doesn't look like he's even an average defensive rebounder. He looks miles away from achieving Carlos Boozer status at this point.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#100 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 3, 2014 8:25 pm

The team offense sucked last season regardless of who was on the floor. And it's not just who is on the floor, but how you use them. And I think we can all agree that Corbin did a poor job at that. Given how that season went, those stats mean almost nothing to me.

Regardless, the main point is that defensive limitations are easier to live with if the player produces well on the other end. This system does not seem to fit Kanter well so far, which makes him a negative on both ends. Even if we were to agree that he is a lost cause on defense, the coach isn't doing the best job of integrating him into the offense and playing to his strengths.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.

Return to Utah Jazz