Grade Offseason

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Re: Grade Offseason 

Post#21 » by StocktonShorts » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Coach: A. We'll have to see how he fares, of course, but I think they found the right guy given the state of the team.

Draft: B. The first two picks were easy enough it seems. I'm still baffled as to why we traded the 35th pick in a deep draft for what will likely be a lesser pick in a future draft.

Free Agency: D. The Jazz failed to use the cap space they so carefully guarded last year and the year before to acquire any assets except for Steve Novak and a future second round pick. They failed to bring back Marvin Williams on a decent deal, making their decision to not trade him last year look even more foolish in retrospect. They couldn't agree to a pre-emptive deal with Hayward and instead made him one of the highest paid third-options in the league. Finally, in what seems like a classic case of money burning a hole in one's pocket, they signed Trevor Booker to a $5M/year two-year contract.

I think the draft and the coaching search were more important this season than free agency, so I'm going to give them:

Overall: B-
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#22 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Adding:

New Coach: I remember celebrating the day we didn't hire Corbin for next season. A+
Quin Snyder: I refuse to believe that someone like Synder could be as worst as Corbin.

Via Draft: Based off what was available A-
Dante Exum: Obviously isn't Wiggins.
Rodney Hood: Obviously isn't Parker.

Free Agents: Based off what was actually available there wasn't much when dust settled, but I like them so B.

Own Free Agents: Based of what we could have paid, C-, near not passing. This only works if Hayward becomes great, and Hood doesn't become greater. Were going to be looking to dump Hayward if Hood pans out, and need money to keep all our young guys coming off rookie contract.

Losing:
Coach: Thank God A+
Free Agents: Goodbye all of them slackers, but still upset Lucas is still on team and Neto isn't. B-, Swap Neto for Lucas, and I give A+! I didn't care for Marvin nor Rush, both slackers and shadows of potential great players.
eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Post#23 » by eLo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:20 pm

C ; draft was ok, throwing corbin and sinning new coach was obvious think to do, but later on we screw everything another summer without good fa i totally dont get why
Jazzfan154
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#24 » by Jazzfan154 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:29 am

Why is everyone so down on the draft? I thought it was great. Are people here judging everything off of summer league again?
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#25 » by StocktonShorts » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:34 am

Jazzfan154 wrote:Why is everyone so down on the draft? I thought it was great. Are people here judging everything off of summer league again?

Are people down on the draft? I see lots of good grades for the draft.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#26 » by stitches » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:54 am

Jazzfan154 wrote:Why is everyone so down on the draft? I thought it was great. Are people here judging everything off of summer league again?

I am very happy with our first round draft, but I hate that we gave up a high pick in the second round in a loaded draft for what would most probably be lower pick in a much weaker and shallow draft.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#27 » by laika » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:40 am

Draft- B+. Would have been an A if we hadn't given away our second round pick for nothing. That is the sort of unforced error that you can't afford to make if you are playing in an undesirable market.

Free Agency- D. Wildly overpaid for Hayward. Didn't make any other good moves. The Hayward signing will hurt us. It's just a matter of time. If the Jazz are lucky, Kanter will be gone because of Hayward. If they are unlucky, it will cost them Burks.

Overall, a C+. It's clear that the Jazz will have to rely on their draft picks turning out to be better than expected. But you can't possibly overpay them all. Will they keep the right ones? As of now, I am skeptical about that.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#28 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 am

I think the outcome of the draft was good. It's just that it didn't take a genius to make those picks, so it wasn't overly impressive from a front office savvy standpoint, and the 2nd round trade sure didn't make a whole lot of sense and left a bad taste for some.

eLo wrote:C ; draft was ok, throwing corbin and sinning new coach was obvious think to do, but later on we screw everything another summer without good fa i totally dont get why

Because they are tanking again (by giving the young players a lot of PT and by not adding good FAs).
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Litany
Assistant Coach
And1: 816

Grade Offseason 

Post#29 » by Litany » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:48 pm

reapaman wrote:Draft = B+, Great 1st round but the Jazz needed to get more assets which was compounded after they completely botched the 2nd round.

Free Agency = F, Getting Novak and Booker was pointless. Also, a bad precedent was set with the Hayward signing and setting the bar real low for guys like Burks and Kanter to also get max contracts even if they underwhelm next season.

Coach = Nil, Doesn't matter

Offseason = C-, All and all we still have one of the worst teams in the league and will likely be talking about lottery balls all season long. So its a good thing we still have a good chance to get another good player to go with Exum even though I'm sure it wasn't their intention for us to suck next year.

Ugh, your takes are the worst. For real.

-They "botched" the 2nd round by trading the pick forward instead of adding another rookie to the youngest team in the league. Mmk. Did you want two 2nd rounders for our one 2nd rounder? Doesn't happen.

-the "low bar" wasn't set by the jazz it was set by Charlotte offering the max. Had nothing to do with the jazz. They didn't think he was worth that money last offseason and he proceeded to have the worst season of his career and someone still offered him that. Not our fault they offered him a ridic amount. And If burks and Kanter aren't extended because they ask for a ton (which they rightfully will based on insane contracts just handed out) and proceed to have an average season and someone still offers them a ton if money, that's not the jazz fault. It's the market. :/

-your "coach doesn't matter" schtick is also tired and ridiculous. A new coach changes the offensive and defensive strategies. We've already seen the changes to the offensive approach in summer league with an outside outside game. In addition, a coach needs to get players to buy in. The coach matters.

All in all, sell crazy somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkf
Litany
Assistant Coach

Grade Offseason 

Post#30 » by Litany » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:52 pm

So it looks like all in all most of you people are impossible to please. Don't know how anyone can be anything but totally excited about our draft picks and coach. And where the team is headed.

Novak and Booker, bfd. We wanted guys who would be backups while our young guys learn.

Who cares about what MLe level players we get if we are going to have a bad record anyway. We want to finally let young players go under a competent head coach.

goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#31 » by goober » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:21 pm

I was extremely happy with the off-season (except for Hayward matching which I'm warming up to)

Can't really grade it though because we have to see how the season pans out.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#32 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Lattimer wrote:-They "botched" the 2nd round by trading the pick forward instead of adding another rookie to the youngest team in the league. Mmk. Did you want two 2nd rounders for our one 2nd rounder? Doesn't happen.

Just because the Jazz pick someone in the 2nd round, doesn't mean they must bring him in this season. This was a strong draft with good talent in the 2nd round, so there was no sense in moving the pick for a future pick in a (likely) weaker draft that very well might be lower than this draft's #35. Why couldn't the Jazz draft and stash?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Litany
Assistant Coach

Grade Offseason 

Post#33 » by Litany » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Lattimer wrote:-They "botched" the 2nd round by trading the pick forward instead of adding another rookie to the youngest team in the league. Mmk. Did you want two 2nd rounders for our one 2nd rounder? Doesn't happen.

Just because the Jazz pick someone in the 2nd round, doesn't mean they must bring him in this season. This was a strong draft with good talent in the 2nd round, so there was no sense in moving the pick for a future pick in a (likely) weaker draft that very well might be lower than this draft's #35. Why couldn't the Jazz draft and stash?

I question moves by the FO a lot, but this offseason has been a big highlight for me after the Corbin and fading KOC era.

With the international scouting team we have that identified Gobert, I guess, to me, it says something about what was out there since we punted the pick.

Also, Tomic and that draft and stash has just been annoying. Maybe I'm soured on that strat unless we are blown away by a guy that dropped. Which we weren't.

Who did you want to draft and stash? Do you have a player you wanted?

Gelding Maker
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#34 » by Gelding Maker » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Offering Hayward a maximum will keep him happy and make sure Jazz have alpha dog for first time in 3 seasons time. He will play more better now without worry of contract or getting benched by dumb Corbin for not buying into dumb plays. 110% from DL.

Draft. Meh. They get lucky I do not credit DL for nothing here. Why he does not make move only rely on luck? Why he trades 2nd round pick in deep draft for garbage later? I think this is because he is lazy and does not do enough homework for making pick at 35. 0% from DL.

Free agency. Losing Marvin. Losing Jefferson. Gaining nothing. Wasting cap space. 0% from DL.

This is 37% average grade of DL. This is below failure he should be terminated from post, effective immediate.
Litany
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Litany » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:46 pm

Gelding Maker wrote:Offering Hayward a maximum will keep him happy and make sure Jazz have alpha dog for first time in 3 seasons time. He will play more better now without worry of contract or getting benched by dumb Corbin for not buying into dumb plays. 110% from DL.

Draft. Meh. They get lucky I do not credit DL for nothing here. Why he does not make move only rely on luck? Why he trades 2nd round pick in deep draft for garbage later? I think this is because he is lazy and does not do enough homework for making pick at 35. 0% from DL.

Free agency. Losing Marvin. Losing Jefferson. Gaining nothing. Wasting cap space. 0% from DL.

This is 37% average grade of DL. This is below failure he should be terminated from post, effective immediate.

:rofl:

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#36 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Lattimer wrote:I question moves by the FO a lot, but this offseason has been a big highlight for me after the Corbin and fading KOC era.

With the international scouting team we have that identified Gobert, I guess, to me, it says something about what was out there since we punted the pick.

Also, Tomic and that draft and stash has just been annoying. Maybe I'm soured on that strat unless we are blown away by a guy that dropped. Which we weren't.

Just to be clear, I'm not really criticizing the offseason moves, just addressing the matter of the 2nd round pick trade specifically. I liked the 1st round draft by the Jazz, and as for the free agents signings - I'm not complaining since I wanted the Jazz to tank next season, which is what they appear to be doing with their FA signings.

To the point, draft and stashing doesn't have to apply only to international players - you could just as easily draft an American player and let him play elsewhere for a season.

As for Tomic - I agree that it's been annoying to be teased so long. Having said that, his value appreciated significantly since he was drafted, which is a good example as to why this is a good strategy. Trading his rights will fetch now more than the 2nd round pick we spent on him, even if he never plays for the Jazz.

Stokes was a good pick, it seems. He looks to be a good value for a 2nd round pick, and a guy who can perform. IIRC, quite a few people here wanted to draft him in the 1st round. Dinwiddie, Grant, GR3 and Micic would have been good value picks too imho, that I wanted for the Jazz as 2nd round picks. Doesn't mean they couldn't spend a season elsewhere.

Hikari
Starter
And1: 255

Post#37 » by Hikari » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Players leave every team for nothing. I dislike the argument "We didn't get anything for him!" Maybe what teams were offering would hurt you long term or maybe you flat out don;t want the player.

Look at Miami they got the exact same thing for Lebron as we got for Jefferson, Milsap, and Marvin. Cap Space
Litany
Assistant Coach

Grade Offseason 

Post#38 » by Litany » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Lattimer wrote:I question moves by the FO a lot, but this offseason has been a big highlight for me after the Corbin and fading KOC era.

Just to be clear, I'm not really criticizing the offseason moves, just addressing the matter of the 2nd round pick trade specifically. I liked the 1st round draft by the Jazz, and as for the free agents signings - I'm not complaining since I wanted the Jazz to tank next season, which is what they appear to be doing with their FA signings.

To the point, draft and stashing doesn't have to apply only to international players - you could just as easily draft an American player and let him play elsewhere for a season.

As for Tomic - I agree that it's been annoying to be teased so long. Having said that, his value appreciated significantly since he was drafted, which is a good example as to why this is a good strategy. Trading his rights will fetch now more than the 2nd round pick we spent on him, even if he never plays for the Jazz.

Stokes was a good pick, it seems. He looks to be a good value for a 2nd round pick, and a guy who can perform. IIRC, quite a few people here wanted to draft him in the 1st round. Dinwiddie, Grant, GR3 and Micic would have been good value picks too imho, that I wanted for the Jazz as 2nd round picks. Doesn't mean they couldn't spend a season elsewhere.

What evidence do we have that Tomic could fetch a first rounder? He also seems like a guy content playing and signing long term deals overseas.

Can you point to examples of American players that get drafted in the nba and then go play overseas? I don't think any of those players you mentioned, Dinwiddie, GR3, Stokes, etc are going to do that.

And someone putting up a stat line in summer league doesn't tell us anything yet.

Didn't ian clark win mvp last year in summer league? He was craptastic for us.

I understand it's more fun to have someone we picked in rd 2, I just think we were young enough and nobody was good enough to pick and play now and it looks like the jazz didn't think anyone overseas was worth the pick.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#39 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Lattimer wrote:What evidence do we have that Tomic could fetch a first rounder? He also seems like a guy content playing and signing long term deals overseas.

Tomic is an NBA level starting C at this point. A first big off the bench at the very least - he has value. Watching him play it is plain to see he's a good player. You don't have to trade him - you could make use of him yourself on your team, and he'll be much more valuable than the 2nd round pick you spent on him. Such players fetch more than 2nd round picks, historically.

Lattimer wrote:Can you point to examples of American players that get drafted in the nba and then go play overseas? I don't think any of those players you mentioned, Dinwiddie, GR3, Stokes, etc are going to do that.

Off the top of my head:
Mike Muscala, Anthony Parker, Kyle Singler, Nick Calathes, Jeremy Tyler, Joey Dorsey, Jarvis Varnado, and many more...

Nobody asks those 2nd round picks if they are going to play for the Jazz, that's up for the Jazz to decide. They can play anywhere they want. They can play in the D-League if they don't want to go overseas, but it is the team that drafts them that decides if and when to bring them over. Pierre Jackson is a good (and sad) example. Draft and stash doesn't mean only international players, just as it doesn't mean only playing overseas.

Lattimer wrote:And someone putting up a stat line in summer league doesn't tell us anything yet.

True. But it sure doesn't hurt.

Lattimer wrote:I understand it's more fun to have someone we picked in rd 2, I just think we were young enough and nobody was good enough to pick and play now and it looks like the jazz didn't think anyone overseas was worth the pick.

Again, it doesn't have to be about picking someone and play him now. That's the whole point, and it doesn't only pertains to international players. I find it hard to believe there won't be any good players to come out of the 2nd round.

tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#40 » by tleikheen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:48 pm

I give this off season and A+

This could be the offseason that the Jazz struck gold and got a future superstar.A true go to player to build their team around .....and not only that but a future long term starter in Rodney Hood .

All the rest won't mean jack if Exum turns his talent into stardom,will it.

Return to Utah Jazz