Grade Offseason

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Grade Offseason 

Post#1 » by FJS » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:17 pm

Still months to go to training camp, but let's gonna make this tread.

If we add or lose someone more, let's gonna discuss about that.

Right now,

Adding:
New Coach:
Quin Snyder

Via Draft:
Dante Exum
Rodney Hood

Free Agents
Steve Novak
Trevor Booker

Own Free Agents
Gordan Hayward

Losing
Coach
Tyronne Corbin
Free Agents
Marvin Williams
Richard Jefferson

And Probably Brandon Rush.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Re: Grade Offseason 

Post#2 » by red4hf » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:37 pm

Draft: A++, really couldn't have gone better for the Jazz......

Offseason: C-, the Jazz had to match Hayward, so that's that...... Novak? I still don't get it...... Booker=trade bait? Otherwise, I don't get it...... How great was it keeping Marvin for a 25 win season instead of getting a pick for him?

Snyder? Let's give him a couple of games before I call for his firing......
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#3 » by BudTugly » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Hood looks like he could be a great pickup. Definitely liked Exum over Smart.

Hayward's deal makes last offseason look real bad. In a vacuum it was the right choice though.

I grade them down significantly for fence sitting on Kanter. He should be gone or extended before camp.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#4 » by dr0welf » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:08 pm

I like the up tempo style Snyder brings. I give the FO an A for their due diligence in finding a good head coach. The Draft was an A.

Free Agency = B Novak is a good one dimensional player which will spread the floor, but he doesn't fit in with the young pieces we have. Maybe to have a veteran on the floor that can still play?

Booker I think was a good signing. He is another junk yard dog that just battles. I think that type of energy is contagious and should help our younger guys have the right attitude in the game with him playing with them.

I expected a stronger performance from Burke this summer league. I was expecting results similar to D-Will's 2nd summer league stint. D-will looked like he was playing with the kids. I don't know if Burke really put in any effort in the off season. He looked marginally better then last year, but not even close to enough to call it a success. He needs to practice shooting until his arm falls off.

Now just wait and see how the veterans do with the new system.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#5 » by reapaman » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Draft = B+, Great 1st round but the Jazz needed to get more assets which was compounded after they completely botched the 2nd round.

Free Agency = F, Getting Novak and Booker was pointless. Also, a bad precedent was set with the Hayward signing and setting the bar real low for guys like Burks and Kanter to also get max contracts even if they underwhelm next season.

Coach = Nil, Doesn't matter

Offseason = C-, All and all we still have one of the worst teams in the league and will likely be talking about lottery balls all season long. So its a good thing we still have a good chance to get another good player to go with Exum even though I'm sure it wasn't their intention for us to suck next year.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#6 » by sipclip » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:44 pm

I would give the draft a B+. I really like the additions of Exum and Hood but trading our 2nd rd pick was stupid. Stokes would have been great value at that spot and brings a tenacity that I think we need off the bench.

Free agency is an F. Instead of jumping in on deals to collect assets we traded for Novak and completely overpaid for Booker. I like Booker but I wanted Ed Davis who was had by the lakers for a lot cheaper.

I will wait until the season begins before I make any judgement on Snyder.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#7 » by slicedbread2 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:44 am

I give the draft a B. It wasn't too shabby to be truthful. Getting Dante was nice and he could be a future face of the franchise since he has that 'X' factor in him that made him so high on many boards. Getting Rodney Hood was a nice steal at 23. That dude could be a flat out scorer. The second round was disappointing. To me, you could have gotten Early. They could have done more.

Coaching: I will leave it as TBD. Snyder seems like a good coach and I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Can't be any worse than Corbin right?

Free agency: The Hayward signing by Charlotte was a real stagger. They should have given Hayward the money earlier in the year plus I expected his performance to drop with Millsap and Jefferson gone. Sure he's most likely a second/third option, but he's a good secondary ball handler and they probably had zero leverage in terms of a S&T. I would have tried to pry Vonleh, but Charlotte could have signed him outright. Getting Novak was ok, but I would have asked for 2 seconds since the Bulls had to pay 2 seconds to dump Randolph who's an expiring at less than 2 million to Orlando while Novak has 2 years left on his deal. I would have tried and nab Boozer from Chicago and get them to part with the Kings pick and their own pick in next year's draft and send John Lucas III and whatever salary was available. Booker seems like an ok hustle dude. Not big on the salary given, but it's pretty light compared to the other deals given out. Wish they could have gotten in on getting S&T done and doing something similar to what they did last year as they need one more year for a top pick.

Hopefully things work out and the clouds clear regarding the future in Utah.
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#8 » by Reckless » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:08 am

Draft - B. Exum and Hood were good picks but they were also the obvious picks. That's not necessarily bad thing but it's worth noting. Trading the 2nd round pick was a mistake, this was a deep draft with many 2nd rounders that will end up being solid pro's were available. Makes you wonder what was the point of working out all those players if we never had an intention of keeping all 3 picks.

Coaching - TBD. I didn't like it at first. I think we all wanted to go international. Time will tell.

Free Agency - C. The worst thing happened with Hayward and it was out of our control we had to match instead of losing him and getting nothing in return. I kind of liked the Novak signing but most people on RealGM felt like we should have got a 1st rounder out of it. Booker for 10 milll doesn't really solve much even though he will probably be a well liked player because of his hustle. Surprised we have yet to go after a PG after Burke's struggling rookie season and summer league.
Kayariel
Senior
And1: 8

Post#9 » by Kayariel » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:23 pm

++ for letting tyrone go
+ for drafting dante and hood
- for overpaying hayward,booker

grade ,for now: B

30 mai @ pinkpop
12 august @ sziget fest
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Overall C+, our free agent signings were turrible.
Ingles is cooked.
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#11 » by Lava Rock Kid » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:59 am

F we let assets walk for nothing
The jazz fired Corbin, which is good but Snyder an unknown, tbd
Hood was a good pick, exum disappointed me, picking 5 in the draft you should do well
We overpaid for Hayward so we will be in lotto forever
Didn't even try for an allstar with all our cap space.
Overpaid for two nba scrubs.
We won't be better.

Offseason is to get better so f
Viktor Vaughn
Junior
And1: 37

Post#12 » by Viktor Vaughn » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:18 am

Lava Rock Kid wrote:Hood was a good pick, exum disappointed me, picking 5 in the draft you should do well

So, the (JUST BARELY) 19 year old kid with no NCAA experience is disappointing you, based on five summer league performances?

ok
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#13 » by Paper Face » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:35 am

Incomplete until I see all of these pieces under the helm of Quinn Snyder.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
Viktor Vaughn
Junior
And1: 37

Post#14 » by Viktor Vaughn » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:45 am

^That's the most sensible answer so far.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#15 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:42 am

As a guy how wanted the Jazz to tank next season, I can't be disappointed with this offseason, since it looks like the Jazz's moves indicate they are doing just that. They seem to deliberately sign mediocre players (I'm being nice here) who won't take much time away from the young players.

Could the Jazz have done a better job even if that was their intention? Yes. But I won't lose sleep over it.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#16 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 am

I like Quinn so far. He did well in Atlanta. I like the draft. The second round pick is a total irrelevant thing to me so far. I have no idea why we did what we did with free agency??? We are supposedly in asset accumulation mode and we did not do that. The Hayward deal sucks. Overall I guess i would say...B to A-. But like a few previous posters said. It's gonna take a while to really evaluate the moves.

So far I have backed Dennis L. pretty hard. Some of his moves are starting to worry me. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt a little longer. But free agency really has me puzzled. And if they knew they were going to really sign Gordon no matter what they should have gotten a deal done at 13.5 or whatever his agent was asking for. At minimum we can say that Dennis was unable to predict the desire/value for a good-reallygood SF in this league. He took a gamble and lost millions. They keep saying it's no big deal because of the new T.V. deal, but if they knew teams were willing to blow all sorts of money they should have seen this coming. Letting other teams set the value for all of our players seems dangerous.

Prediction- We will let either Kanter or Burks go this year. Mostly because we don't really know what we have yet and Dennis will want to delay really making the big moves. I hope it's Kanter. Not because I am so down on him as other people on this board, rather I am super high on Burks. I think he is the best player on the team right now. I know Hayward put up better stats, don't care, that's why it's my opinion vs. yours. Burks is the best wing player on our team right meow.

Sorry for long post. I'm drunk. I love Jameson whiskey. Peace.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#17 » by AK47MVP » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:47 pm

It was typical mediocre C worth offseason for Jazz. Everything was done as always with profit as priority over wins. Sign cheap mediocre veterans to plug in roster holes, sign unproven young coach whom they can manipulate to their needs, draft Exum based on hype hoping for something special when in reality there is more chances to end up with bust. I'll give them A for drafting Hood but X for resigning Hayward. Worst contract in whole NBA during this off season and it does not matter how much money we had. Seeing what money cost to sign Deng, Ariza, Stephenson it makes it look even more stupid, Hayward or not we are not making playoffs anytime soon so why waste money on soft, brick laying wing? I see us winning about 30-32 games this season at best. Whats the point? None of current Jazz players screams All-star, future is pretty bleak IMHO.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#18 » by AK47MVP » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Viktor Vaughn wrote:
Lava Rock Kid wrote:Hood was a good pick, exum disappointed me, picking 5 in the draft you should do well

So, the (JUST BARELY) 19 year old kid with no NCAA experience is disappointing you, based on five summer league performances?

Can't blame him wanting somebody more experienced and more proven over mystery with potential.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#19 » by dautjazz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:01 pm

B for sure. C is average, but we drafted so well, can't give them an average score for the offseason on that alone. Free agency, Utah year in and year out is one of the least attractive free agent destinations, and it hasn't helped that we haven't been great in over a decade too. Novac trade, definitely don't mind, we needed shooting last year, he'll bring that, and I know that Wizards fans like Booker, so I'm not stoked on the price we paid, but we got to use our money on someone, and this summer, everyone has overpaid. Hayward was overpaid, but honestly, who the hell were we going to use the money on? New coach, well his resume looks pretty good, better than Corbin's, that's for sure, so we'll see how that pans out. Glad we let Marvin Williams go, he was stunting the development Kanter and Jeremy Evans, and to some extent Gobert, not mention he was overpaid too. It's hard to ever get an A, which is like what you'd give the Cavs this summer, or the Heat in 2010, etc.. but for their market and situation, B is minimum.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#20 » by dautjazz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:04 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
Viktor Vaughn wrote:

Can't blame him wanting somebody more experienced and more proven over mystery with potential.

None of the top 10 picks were in the ALL Summer League teams, lets panic!
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.

Return to Utah Jazz