Gobert....Exum ,starring in Fiba

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Re: Gobert....Exum ,starring in Fiba 

Post#61 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Exum will be as great a player as he wants to be. With his size, speed, youth, and skills....he just needs to put the work in. If he had a Kobe/MJ/Malone type work ethic he could go down as a top 10 PG ever. If he has CJ miles work ethic he will be lucky to be in the league 5 years.

Its all up to him. But I wouldnt expect much in 2 years either, it will take that long for him to scratch the surface of his talent.....if he wants to.
Boomerfan
Banned User
And1: 430

Post#62 » by Boomerfan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:47 am

tleikheen wrote:
I think he should have gone to College but then again he probably would not be a first rounder again if he did. He's made a financial decision to go early which I think may actually hurt him in the long run.

In two more days you get to come to the forum slamming Exum ,the youngest player in the Fiba Championship all you want.....Ive already seen enough of his passing,court awareness,composure,speed (1st step),and one on one defense to see why he was drafted where he was.Who has his 1st step(his 1st step is as fast as Rose,and Irving and he's taller).Exum makes Rubio passes and Rubio makes better passes than DRose,Curry and Irving.
Most here will see why Exum was drafted and be very happy ... a few of you will come on only to slam Exum ,never seeing why he was drafted ,just nit picking

Well firstly I've watched Exum for 5 years and know people within the Australian setup. I won't tell you what they think, unless it sends you into fits of rage.

Exum was drafted on potential. He has all of the Athletic attributes, but mentally he comes up short. I was quite staggered to hear he has "Kobe like" mentality in pre-draft. I thought that was a joke, because he is actually the complete opposite.

I'm not 'slamming' him because I think he can be a very serviceable NBA player... and in fact I believe his ceiling is a taller Ricky Rubio. I fully expected him to struggle in Summer League and World Cup warmups... I just didn't think he would struggle this badly.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 334

Post#63 » by Mad Guru » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:52 am

The Kobe comparisons were obviously ridiculous. You do wonder what his position will be if he can't shoot.
Boomerfan
Banned User

Post#64 » by Boomerfan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 am

Mad Guru wrote:The Kobe comparisons were obviously ridiculous. You do wonder what his position will be if he can't shoot.

He did well in the Australian under age set up because it was quite frankly an awful side talent wise. The class he was in was so thin... he was expected to carry the bulk of the ballhandling and scoring duties and did it pretty well. Remembering though that most of his scoring was speed and driving to the basket... easy to do in under age... not so in the seniors.

I think his only position is point guard. It's a mistake to play him elsewhere at this point. You'd be better off playing him 10 mins backup PG than 20 mins SG/5 mins PG
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#65 » by Hoops Addict » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:14 pm

Exum is not showing much yet, except elite quickness, size, and good athleticism......he did not go to college....he needs time.

All the haters should tell us........Who would you pick instead of Exum?
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#66 » by AK47MVP » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:02 pm

0 pts, 2 reb 1 ast so far in 10 min. vs Slovenia. Where are those "experts" who said he will play a lot and will have big role for Australia?
3960HOOD
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#67 » by 3960HOOD » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:10 pm

Watching this Brazil-France game, Neto and Gobert playing well.
DeadlyTreeStump
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#68 » by DeadlyTreeStump » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Gobert did great today, arguably the best defensive presence in the game. Especially in the first half you could just tell both Splitter and Nenê were having a really hard time finding space in the paint to create opportunities. I also liked that Rudy was not overly aggressive and did not pick up fouls that easily. But of course, this is obviously good for the French national team and not necessarily for the Jazz, since the FIBA world cup and the NBA are totally different animals... :P
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#69 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:45 pm

Boomerfan wrote:
tleikheen wrote:
I think he should have gone to College but then again he probably would not be a first rounder again if he did. He's made a financial decision to go early which I think may actually hurt him in the long run.

In two more days you get to come to the forum slamming Exum ,the youngest player in the Fiba Championship all you want.....Ive already seen enough of his passing,court awareness,composure,speed (1st step),and one on one defense to see why he was drafted where he was.Who has his 1st step(his 1st step is as fast as Rose,and Irving and he's taller).Exum makes Rubio passes and Rubio makes better passes than DRose,Curry and Irving.
Most here will see why Exum was drafted and be very happy ... a few of you will come on only to slam Exum ,never seeing why he was drafted ,just nit picking

Well firstly I've watched Exum for 5 years and know people within the Australian setup. I won't tell you what they think, unless it sends you into fits of rage.

Exum was drafted on potential. He has all of the Athletic attributes, but mentally he comes up short. I was quite staggered to hear he has "Kobe like" mentality in pre-draft. I thought that was a joke, because he is actually the complete opposite.

I'm not 'slamming' him because I think he can be a very serviceable NBA player... and in fact I believe his ceiling is a taller Ricky Rubio. I fully expected him to struggle in Summer League and World Cup warmups... I just didn't think he would struggle this badly.

I for one, Boomerfan, appreciate the unbiased information on Exum. Thialkin (sp?) has become our resident Pollyanna, and takes offense at any negativity towards any player, even if completely warranted. I hope that you continue to provide your insights.

I am not an Exum hater, but I have had my concerns about him all along. He does have nice size and passing ability and a great first step, but there are so many other things that he has to become at least decent at before he can make an impact, and the jury is out as to whether he is up to the task.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#70 » by stellation » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:24 pm

AK47MVP wrote:0 pts, 2 reb 1 ast so far in 10 min. vs Slovenia. Where are those "experts" who said he will play a lot and will have big role for Australia?

I watched the game, he was fine.

Don't expect him to put up big numbers in this tournament, he'll get less minutes for Australia at the World Cup than he'll get for Utah in the NBA.
#FreeChuckDiesel
boknoy
Junior
And1: 6

Post#71 » by boknoy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:01 am

calm down folks. its never over for a 19 year old. Adjustment period. After a year then we'll see where he is going
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#72 » by Paper Face » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:12 am

boknoy wrote:calm down folks. its never over for a 19 year old. Adjustment period. After a year then we'll see where he is going

No, it's over. He is clearly a bust, and it is recklessly futile to watch his career "blossom" from here.

Some of you may have watched him for 5 years, but I have been watching him through a crystal ball since he was born. And I can tell you that his ceiling is somewhere between a ball boy and a poor man's CJ Miles.

I have written about this before, and my record speaks for itself.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
Boomerfan
Banned User

Post#73 » by Boomerfan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:17 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I for one, Boomerfan, appreciate the unbiased information on Exum. Thialkin (sp?) has become our resident Pollyanna, and takes offense at any negativity towards any player, even if completely warranted. I hope that you continue to provide your insights.

I am not an Exum hater, but I have had my concerns about him all along. He does have nice size and passing ability and a great first step, but there are so many other things that he has to become at least decent at before he can make an impact, and the jury is out as to whether he is up to the task.

No problems at all. I actually like Exum... I think he can be a player. I just think he made a career mistake by doing what he did (Effectively sitting out of basketball for 12 months so his draft stocks did not go down). Sure it meant he got paid straight away, and being a top 5 pick means you get more chances to fail than someone who is a 2nd rounder... but he really needed to go to College in my opinion and build on parts of his game against lesser talent and strength.

His ability will be fast-tracked IF Utah go all out into tank mode and start Exum as the starting PG and give him major minutes. I just don't see that happening at this point.
Boomerfan
Banned User

Post#74 » by Boomerfan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:21 am

AK47MVP wrote:0 pts, 2 reb 1 ast so far in 10 min. vs Slovenia. Where are those "experts" who said he will play a lot and will have big role for Australia?

He was never going to have a big role for Australia. It was obvious early on in their European tour when Exum was the starting PG in early games and struggled. Gradually the worse he got on tour the less he played and eventually lost his starting spot.

He will play more mins against minnow countries later in the tournament (maybe even tonight). I will say he played pretty good defense when on the Dragic's. His lateral speed helped him.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,170

Post#75 » by brutalitops » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:36 am

Sweet, checked the box score?

Played alright, Looked great on D, very limited gametime, Your post seemed to make out that he stunk it up and got dragged
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#76 » by AK47MVP » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:39 pm

brutalitops wrote:

Played alright, Looked great on D, very limited gametime, Your post seemed to make out that he stunk it up and got dragged

Dude are you blind? He sucked, was outmatched and looked passive and tentative and out of place... like a boy amongst men - which he is. Scared would be good word to describe how he looked. Same today vs Korea until the game was out of reach in second half and he padded few stats at the end of the game.... KOREA!!!! And I was calling" experts" like theleiken and others who were trying to tell me that he will be best PG for Australia and will shine in WC...
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,461

Post#77 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:52 pm

Name-calling is definitely not the way to go. Have a beer and chill. Make that an Australian beer. At least it is something you can judge after 10 minutes and say if it's a bust or not, unlike Exum.

Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#78 » by AK47MVP » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:01 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Name-calling is definitely not the way to go. Have a beer and chill. Make that an Australian beer. At least it is something you can judge after 10 minutes and say if it's a bust or not, unlike Exum.

Ok. I apologize for that idiot remark.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#79 » by pickIBL » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:25 pm

Jackson showed up big time for France and right now Preldzic is leading Turkey past team USA (hopefully only for the moment)... and you are telling me the Jazz signed who this summer???
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,170

Post#80 » by brutalitops » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:48 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
brutalitops wrote:

Dude are you blind? He sucked, was outmatched and looked passive and tentative and out of place... like a boy amongst men - which he is. Scared would be good word to describe how he looked. Same today vs Korea until the game was out of reach in second half and he padded few stats at the end of the game.... KOREA!!!! And I was calling" experts" like theleiken and others who were trying to tell me that he will be best PG for Australia and will shine in WC...

Today he played 13 minutes, Including the last 6 minutes of the game when it was truly over? Im not sure what you want him to do when he's playing so sparsely during the game? do you want him to knock down 10-15 points when his role in the Team is to play D off the bench? Australia have a chance to maybe pull out a medal these games and dellavadova is a much better pg. Plus newley and brokehoff right now better options. At the sg spot the exum as I type this.

So I dont know where you got the expectation. Hell even the aussie coach before the games made it clear exum was going to come off the bench and wont be a huge part of the offense.

Return to Utah Jazz