Gobert....Exum ,starring in Fiba

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Re: Gobert....Exum ,starring in Fiba 

Post#21 » by Paper Face » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:47 am

I think Exum will crash and burn by Christmas. Almost like an aging Rockette, only at the beginning of his career instead of at the end of it. Flabby legs, and worn plumbing. There will be loud complaints, there will be crying, there will be smeared make-up.

But next year will be awesome!
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#22 » by erudite23 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:37 pm

I don't think we have much of a baseline to set our expectations. Dante obviously has miles and miles to go right now, and is one of the 5 or 6 youngest players in the league for next year. This reminds me a bit of Derrick Rose, who was terrible in Summer League (getting badly outplayed by Mario Chalmers to the point that everyone was yelling that Chalmers was the better player) and didn't show out well going through summer workouts etc, followed by a decent-but-not-spectacular showing as a rookie. I get the feeling that when the real games start, Dante will surprise us and be a bigger part of the team than there is any concrete reason to believe he will be at the present time.

I'm nervous about him, because I see a lot of red flags, but then you see that first step and some of the things he does with the ball and I start to get giddy thinking about the possibilities. Can't wait for the season.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#23 » by BudTugly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Paper Face wrote:I think Exum will crash and burn by Christmas. Almost like an aging Rockette, only at the beginning of his career instead of at the end of it. Flabby legs, and worn plumbing. There will be loud complaints, there will be crying, there will be smeared make-up.

But next year will be awesome!

What's most important right now is to get these players properly labelled. Obviously anybody who waits for more than the tiniest shred of evidence is weak and afraid to commit to a stance.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#24 » by Paper Face » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:09 am

BudTugly wrote:What's most important right now is to get these players properly labelled. Obviously anybody who waits for more than the tiniest shred of evidence is weak and afraid to commit to a stance.

Indubitably. It makes me reach for my meth pipe unconsciously just think about it.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#25 » by goober » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:03 pm

I don't know about you guys, but to me Gobert looks like a solid backup C in the NBA
Dr Salad Bowl
Junior
And1: 51

Post#26 » by Dr Salad Bowl » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:40 am

Watched the Lithu game. The Aus offense was a dog's breakfast. Clearly Dante shouldn't be taking 6 threes, but I couldn't really argue with the ones he took. PnR was totally out of sync and our wings gave us nothing all night.

So yeah, quiet one for him, but Aus were down 10 points the whole game and it's a warm up so hold off the 'bust' calls just for a moment

Sent from my SM-T530 using RealGM Forums mobile app
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#27 » by AK47MVP » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:49 pm

Aussies playing Ukraine now. 33-31 at half. Exum with 0 pts, 2 ast, 2 reb and 1 to so far.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#28 » by AK47MVP » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Finished with 4 pts( 2-4 FG), 3 reb 3 ast, 2 to.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#29 » by stitches » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Exum's shooting has been better than in Summer league. He's been 46% FG and 33% from 3. I'd love if he can keep those against NBA competition.

His PER36 numbers are as follows after the first 5 games with Australia:
12.8Pts, 6.6ast, 3.7rb, 1.5st, 2.9to, which is not bad.

The worst thing I see is that he's reluctant to be aggressive. In the 5 games so far he's gone to the line only twice. Having in mind his play at the U18 and U16 the expectation was that the high number of trips to the FT-line will stay high, but it's not happening so far.
Boomerfan
Banned User
And1: 430

Post#30 » by Boomerfan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:52 am

stitches wrote:Exum's shooting has been better than in Summer league. He's been 46% FG and 33% from 3. I'd love if he can keep those against NBA competition.

His PER36 numbers are as follows after the first 5 games with Australia:
12.8Pts, 6.6ast, 3.7rb, 1.5st, 2.9to, which is not bad.

The worst thing I see is that he's reluctant to be aggressive. In the 5 games so far he's gone to the line only twice. Having in mind his play at the U18 and U16 the expectation was that the high number of trips to the FT-line will stay high, but it's not happening so far.

Stats unfortunately don't tell the story. I've watched all of the 5 Australia games bar 1 (Unfortunately the good game Dante had) and he has looked awful in most of those. The commentators last night were making excuses for him saying he might still be suffering the effects of the ankle injury (The one he faked when he blew a wide open layup)

He looks completely lost and shoots the ball like someone who knows they don't make a good % at practice and just hoping it goes in. Like you said his reluctance to be aggressive is his main issue... which is worrying because that is where I thought he would do well. I think we are seeing the difference between driving to the basket against kids and doing it against men with bigger bodies.
stitches
RealGM

Post#31 » by stitches » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:30 am

That's the weirdest thing though. Usually driving to the hoop and drawing fouls is a thing that translates well between youth and NBA basketball. To me he seems timid, if not scared to be aggressive. And I agree about the shooting. To me he looks like he's expecting to miss, seems like he's doesn't shoot with confidence.

I wouldn't say he's been awful in all of those games, but he's been terribly inconsistent. He's inconsistent from one game to the other, he's inconsistent between two different halves of the same game. There are flashes of what he can be in pretty much every game, he makes plays, he sees passes that nobody else on the floor does and most of the time executes them great. Purely statistically, he's playing better than he did in summer league. He makes less mistakes, he shoots better, makes more assists, less turnovers. I hope he keeps improving. I have absolutely no problem giving him time to develop his shot, to improve his handle, to improve his body and conditioning without expecting him to be a beast right away. He wasn't drafted with that expectation, he was drafted as a raw prospect with great potential, so only time will tell if it will come to fruition. What I am worried about, though, is him not being aggressive and attacking the paint. I can live with all other growing pains, but I think it is imperative that he tries to play aggressively from the very start, that he tries to beat his man off the dribble consistently and attack the paint. I that would help him a lot in pretty much every aspect - collapsing defenses, drive and dish, drive and kick, higher percentage shots in the paint as opposed to 3s that he's not great at shooting right now(although, he hasn't really taken any bad 3s, most were open 3s that he should be taking if confident in his shot).

Anyways... lets see how he develops through the WC and through his rookie season. I think it's very early to draw any dramatic conclusions.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,950

Post#32 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:43 pm

hey guys i come in peace..... do you guys think exum willl overtake Burke this season for the starting role?
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
stitches
RealGM

Post#33 » by stitches » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:05 pm

knicks85 wrote:hey guys i come in peace..... do you guys think exum willl overtake Burke this season for the starting role?

Really hard to say, it depends a lot on how his conditioning is as the season progresses. If he can't play for more than 25 minutes at max tempo, I doubt that would be a viable option. For some reason the rhetoric coming from the coaching staff and the media is "Dante and Trey can play together". I personally don't see it.

Playing Dante off the ball is a waste of his best attributes in favor of his worst attributes(shooting, off the ball movement). Let alone Trey dwells on the ball too much without doing much with it and this won't fly in the "pass the ball" system that Quin Snyder wants to implement. I expect Dante to start off the bench in the beginning and depending on how he adjust to the physicality and speed of the NBA game he might get some starts by the end of the season.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#34 » by pickIBL » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:10 pm

Exum reminds me a little bit of the old fashion prep to pros. When I look at his body and his conditioning... he's just not NBA ready. His talent level and potential are very high. My personal opinion is that after the pre-season he should be sent to the D-League and forgotten about until after the All-Star break.

The expectations desperate Utah fans have for him right now... I find unacceptable. That being said Trey and Alec should start and he should come off the bench.

Gobert looks like a very good pick in the 2013 draft. If he can bring 20 good minutes a night off the bench as a role-player that'd be perfect.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#35 » by cedric76 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:45 pm

Exum was bad again tonight against France :-(
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
3960HOOD
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#36 » by 3960HOOD » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Raul Neto played 15 mins against Team USA and had 6 points 4 assists and shot 2-2 from 3. Gordon Hayward did not play at all.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#37 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:24 pm

pickIBL wrote:Exum reminds me a little bit of the old fashion prep to pros. When I look at his body and his conditioning... he's just not NBA ready. His talent level and potential are very high. My personal opinion is that after the pre-season he should be sent to the D-League and forgotten about until after the All-Star break.

The expectations desperate Utah fans have for him right now... I find unacceptable. That being said Trey and Alec should start and he should come off the bench.

Gobert looks like a very good pick in the 2013 draft. If he can bring 20 good minutes a night off the bench as a role-player that'd be perfect.

Magic fan coming in peace. This is the mindset you need to have. He isnt Lebron, he isnt going to dominate out of the gate. Let him develop with patience and you will be rewarded. Similar to how Magic fans want to jump on the Gordon pick. He could be a dynamic player in 2-3 years with his athleticism and skills, he is a project though and we cant expect him to jump in at 20-30 mpg and dominate or play like a star.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#38 » by The59Sound » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:36 pm

tiderulz wrote:
pickIBL wrote:Exum reminds me a little bit of the old fashion prep to pros. When I look at his body and his conditioning... he's just not NBA ready. His talent level and potential are very high. My personal opinion is that after the pre-season he should be sent to the D-League and forgotten about until after the All-Star break.

Magic fan coming in peace. This is the mindset you need to have. He isnt Lebron, he isnt going to dominate out of the gate. Let him develop with patience and you will be rewarded. Similar to how Magic fans want to jump on the Gordon pick. He could be a dynamic player in 2-3 years with his athleticism and skills, he is a project though and we cant expect him to jump in at 20-30 mpg and dominate or play like a star.

I don't agree with the "ship him off to the D-League for half the season" part, but I agree that we're doing Exum a major disservice if we place immediate expectations on him. This kid's ceiling is in the stratosphere, but he hasn't left the ground yet.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#39 » by StocktonShorts » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:15 pm

The59Sound wrote:I don't agree with the "ship him off to the D-League for half the season" part,

I really hope the NBA/D-League relationship progresses to the point where playing half a season in the D-league isn't seen as a bad thing by players/fans/teams/agents.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#40 » by pickIBL » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:31 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:
The59Sound wrote:I don't agree with the "ship him off to the D-League for half the season" part,

I really hope the NBA/D-League relationship progresses to the point where playing half a season in the D-league isn't seen as a bad thing by players/fans/teams/agents.

This. I'm not dense to what sending a player to the d-league means. That needs to change.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL

Return to Utah Jazz