Gobert....Exum ,starring in Fiba

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: Gobert....Exum ,starring in Fiba 

Post#161 » by pickIBL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:29 pm

kebutah wrote:Mark Stein claims he wants $3M per year to join the NBA.

D-Will 20m, Lin 15m, George Hill 8m... and he wants $3m per year? SOLD!

You sign Teodosic. Go out and get Tomic or Bourousis (Bourousis is a Divac clone) and then you can put Kanter on the block. Maybe Kanter returns Wilson Chander and Joffrey Lauvergne. Now you run out Bourousis, Favors, Chandler, Hayward, and Teodosic for the season opener. Where do I sign up for that?
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#162 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:32 pm

Ugh. Are we trading Kanter again? Damn it...

But yeah, 3M is a great price. That's like, less that two John Lucases, and he's more than twice as good. That's about 500k more than Trey makes, and 600K less than Exum will make this year.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#163 » by pickIBL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:33 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Ugh. Are we trading Kanter again? Damn it...

Nope, gonna wait til next summer and give him every cent possible.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#164 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:37 pm

pickIBL wrote:

Well, it worked so well with Hayward... :wink:

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#165 » by pickIBL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:40 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:

Well, it worked so well with Hayward... :wink:

In all seriousness if you can have Bourousis for a few million... he passes well and his range stretches better... then why should you keep Kanter around for what he'll command on the open market? A legit question I think.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#166 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:46 pm

I'm not against getting Bourousis, but he's already 30 years old, and he isn't the scorer Kanter is, or can be. You keep Kanter around for what he can be - the guy is so young still, while showing serious scoring and rebounding potential. There is always value in such players. Should he get max money? Hell no, though he'll probably try to get it. But let's not kid ourselves that players his size with his kind of talent come cheap.

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#167 » by pickIBL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:06 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I'm not against getting Bourousis, but he's already 30 years old, and he isn't the scorer Kanter is, or can be. You keep Kanter around for what he can be - the guy is so young still, while showing serious scoring and rebounding potential. There is always value in such players. Should he get max money? Hell no, though he'll probably try to get it. But let's not kid ourselves that players his size with his kind of talent come cheap.

He's got 3 or 4 years of really good basketball left. Let's talk about the Greek bigs scoring. With Real they didn't need to play him big minutes during "regular" season play. He does 3 things offensively well. He finishes in the low post at a very high rate. He finishes on the roll thru traffic (or in a pop situation). He also opens the floor up with his spacing on the jumper. Plus he passes well. Defensively he defends the low post very well. He's a below the rim brute... yea... which is why he ages well. In Italy he stuffed the stats sheet... Real just didn't need it.

I'd much rather have Bourousis and a wing on a fair contract... than overpay Kanter. Frankly Bourousis fits next to Favors better... and he's making 13 million this year... so that has to factor in too.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#168 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Again, I'm not against getting Bourousis, though his role will be limited with Favors, Tomic and Gobert. But I wouldn't get rid of Kanter, so that's also a problem. It's nice that Bourousis defends the post well, only that there aren't many good post up bigs left in the leauge, and he isn't a great shot blocker.

Kanter may get a big contract and be overpaid, but he might also have a good season next year, and if he keeps progressing (and being so young and inexperienced there is no reason he shouldn't), he might not be overpaid by the time his contract runs up.

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#169 » by pickIBL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Again, I'm not against getting Bourousis, though his role will be limited with Favors, Tomic and Gobert. But I wouldn't get rid of Kanter, so that's also a problem. It's nice that Bourousis defends the post well, only that there aren't many good post up bigs left in the leauge, and he isn't a great shot blocker.

Kanter may get a big contract and be overpaid, but he might also have a good season next year, and if he keeps progressing (and being so young and inexperienced there is no reason he shouldn't), he might not be overpaid by the time his contract runs up.

Let's talk about what Kanter can't do... defend and pass. Bourousis weakside rotations are good and he has good IQ passing.

When you are a brick wall at 7 ft and a 7'5 wingspan you will bother NBA posts... there are a few good ones in the West.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#170 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:36 pm

pickIBL wrote:Let's talk about what Kanter can't do... defend and pass. Bourousis weakside rotations are good and he has good IQ passing.

Chuck Hayes can defend and pass. And the most he'll ever make is 6M, and be a limited role player. most GMs will take a 22 year old big who can score and rebound and see how far he can go and improve. Yes Bourousis is better offensively, but I hope you get the point.

pickIBL wrote:When you are a brick wall at 7 ft and a 7'5 wingspan you will bother NBA posts... there are a few good ones in the West.

Only the Jazz aren't in any condition to compete with their teams any time soon. What good are we getting from bringing in Bourousis at this point instead of developing Kanter? We'd still suck, only we'll let go of potential growth of a younger player. Bourousis is a guy you want when you're a playoff contender, which we are not.

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#171 » by pickIBL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:43 pm

[quote="Inigo Montoya"] Chuck Hayes can defend and pass. quote]

Would you compare Chuck to Vlade? Do I need to pull out the Hayes FT video? No low post game... no outside shooting. Neither Chuck nor Enes are pulling bigs away from the basket.

I contend that if you bring in Bourousis and Teodosic and get the right deal done for Kanter.... you have a winning NBA team when they gel.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#172 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:59 pm

I made sure to point out that Bourosis is a better offensive player than Hayes. It wasn't a 1-1 comp. I was trying to make a point that as much as we all like to point to defense, good offensive bigs are more rare and valuable usually (especially young ones who can rebound and have a lot of growing to do and a lot of basketball knowledge to catch up to) though the Bourosis-Divac comp is a bit generous imho.

pickIBL wrote: Neither Chuck nor Enes are pulling bigs away from the basket.

Yet. We do know Kanter can shoot it pretty well from midrange, has a good stroke and shot technique, and a range that grows every year. And there is no comparison between their respective offensive talents.

pickIBL wrote:I contend that if you bring in Bourousis and Teodosic and get the right deal done for Kanter.... you have a winning NBA team when they gel.

The key words here is "the right deal". That can be said for every player, and if we couldn't (or wouldn't) get a good deal done for Hayward, I very much doubt we can get a good deal done for Kanter.

I don't doubt that if we get Teodosic, Bourosis, bring in some vets and replace our d-league equivalent talent that was signed for tanking with serious role players, that we can be a winning team that can be playoff competitive. But I've said it before - that's not good enough for me. I want a contender, and I'm willing to take some years of punishment for it as long as I can see a clear direction to getting to this goal. I'm done with this permanent "above average but never great treadmill".

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#173 » by pickIBL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I made sure to point out that Bourosis is a better offensive player than Hayes. It wasn't a 1-1 comp. I was trying to make a point that as much as we all like to point to defense, good offensive bigs are more rare and valuable usually (especially young ones who can rebound and have a lot of growing to do and a lot of basketball knowledge to catch up to) though the Bourosis-Divac comp is a bit generous imho.

pickIBL wrote: Neither Chuck nor Enes are pulling bigs away from the basket.

Yet. We do know Kanter can shoot it pretty well from midrange, has a good stroke and shot technique, and a range that grows every year. And there is no comparison between their respective offensive talents.

pickIBL wrote:I contend that if you bring in Bourousis and Teodosic and get the right deal done for Kanter.... you have a winning NBA team when they gel.

The key words here is "the right deal". That can be said for every player, and if we couldn't (or wouldn't) get a good deal done for Hayward, I very much doubt we can get a good deal done for Kanter.

I don't doubt that if we get Teodosic, Bourosis, bring in some vets and replace our d-league equivalent talent that was signed for tanking with serious role players, that we can be a winning team that can be playoff competitive. But I've said it before - that's not good enough for me. I want a contender, and I'm willing to take some years of punishment for it as long as I can see a clear direction to getting to this goal. I'm done with this permanent "above average but never great treadmill".

That comp comes straight from the mouth of coach pop. And if PHX can turn things around with that roster... the Jazz could do it too with the right moves. Tanking has become an excuse we allow Teams to use.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#174 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:16 pm

pickIBL wrote:That comp comes straight from the mouth of coach pop.

Well, I don't know the context, but I don't have a problem with comparing their style. Comparing their level of play and saying they are as good is more problematic, but who am I to argue with the great Pop? :wink:

pickIBL wrote:And if PHX can turn things around with that roster... the Jazz could do it too with the right moves.

No doubt. But the Suns aren't contenders either. They didn't even make the playoffs (which is a joke when looking to the east). We are in agreement that the Jazz can turn it around - I don't doubt that. But I can't see them making a few quick moves and turn themselves into a contender - just to another average to above average team, which isn't what I'm looking for.

pickIBL wrote:Tanking has become an excuse we allow Teams to use.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Fix the system, but until then, don't blame the teams for doing what they can (unless they just flat out throw out games like GSW). Especially since the Jazz isn't an attractive FA destination - can you even imagine where they would be without the ability to tank?

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#175 » by pickIBL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:That comp comes straight from the mouth of coach pop.

Well, I don't know the context, but I don't have a problem with comparing their style. Comparing their level of play and saying they are as good is more problematic, but who am I to argue with the great Pop? :wink:

pickIBL wrote:And if PHX can turn things around with that roster... the Jazz could do it too with the right moves.

No doubt. But the Suns aren't contenders either. They didn't even make the playoffs (which is a joke when looking to the east). We are in agreement that the Jazz can turn it around - I don't doubt that. But I can't see them making a few quick moves and turn themselves into a contender - just to another average to above average team, which isn't what I'm looking for.

pickIBL wrote:Tanking has become an excuse we allow Teams to use.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Fix the system, but until then, don't blame the teams for doing what they can (unless they just flat out throw out games like GSW). Especially since the Jazz isn't an attractive FA destination - can you even imagine where they would be without the ability to tank?

"As soon as I saw him I started thinking: Vlade Divac," Popovich said, recalling the former NBA star from Serbia. "His body language, his gait, the way he shoots, the way he moves on the floor ... He's good inside and outside. He runs the floor well, and he's got great hands. He's a very skilled young man."

When Bourousis feels ready to make the jump, he said San Antonio is his first choice.

"I would like to play two more years in Euroleague, and then to come (to San Antonio)," he said. "In the future, if they still want me, and it is the right expenses, probably I will come."

That news was welcomed by Popovich.

"That's OK with me," he said. "I think he's fantastic."

Credit- MySanAntonio
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#176 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Well, it's more of a style of play comp which I don't have a problem with, and not a "He's as good as Divac" comp, with which I do.

He's referred to as a young man, which makes more sense when you see this quote is from 5 years ago... Well, he's 30 now - so much for playing two more years in the Euroleague and then come over.

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#177 » by pickIBL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Well, it's more of a style of play comp which I don't have a problem with, and not a "He's as good as Divac" comp, with which I do.

He's referred to as a young man, which makes more sense when you see this quote is from 5 years ago... Well, he's 30 now - so much for playing two more years in the Euroleague and then come over.

He's only improved since then. It was money that came between him and the Spurs at the time. He was asking MLE plus money.... which he no longer is.

Return to Utah Jazz