2015 Draft Prospect discussion thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Re: 2015 Draft Prospect discussion thread 

Post#501 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed May 20, 2015 9:30 pm

pickIBL wrote:I think you gotta throw the kitchen sink at the knicks and magic to get something done. no Hayward, favors, or gobert. Likely no exum. But all other assets on the table. I'd offer Treyd, booker, 12th, 2016 unprotected, and warriors 1st for mario

I like Mudiay, but I can see why you like the potential of Hezonja. The one thing we agree on is that the time is right to cash in some chips and move up and take a swing for a home run.

I think that you offer too much for Hezonja, though. I really think that the Jazz can obtain Lawson and flip him for one of picks #4 or #6. Lawson shouldn't command more than two first rounders, and in fact probably less as Denver couldn't get that at the trade deadline. Trey, a future first and a second round pick or two should be able to get it done.

For #4- Flip Lawson and the #12 to the Knicks for #4 and Calderon (a negative asset for them at this point). NYK need a second star/impact player to put alongside Melo to attract another star player to avoid their rebuild, yet they still can draft in the lottery or even trade the #12 pick for another player. If necessary, the Jazz could easily sweeten deal with OKC pick or second round picks.

For #6- Lawson and the #12 to the Kings for #6, Collison and Landry (may have to take Thompson instead or add a second rounder or two).
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#502 » by loserX » Wed May 20, 2015 10:20 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
pickIBL wrote:I think you gotta throw the kitchen sink at the knicks and magic to get something done. no Hayward, favors, or gobert. Likely no exum. But all other assets on the table. I'd offer Treyd, booker, 12th, 2016 unprotected, and warriors 1st for mario

I like Mudiay, but I can see why you like the potential of Hezonja. The one thing we agree on is that the time is right to cash in some chips and move up and take a swing for a home run.

I think that you offer too much for Hezonja, though. I really think that the Jazz can obtain Lawson and flip him for one of picks #4 or #6. Lawson shouldn't command more than two first rounders, and in fact probably less as Denver couldn't get that at the trade deadline. Trey, a future first and a second round pick or two should be able to get it done.

For #4- Flip Lawson and the #12 to the Knicks for #4 and Calderon (a negative asset for them at this point). NYK need a second star/impact player to put alongside Melo to attract another star player to avoid their rebuild, yet they still can draft in the lottery or even trade the #12 pick for another player. If necessary, the Jazz could easily sweeten deal with OKC pick or second round picks.

For #6- Lawson and the #12 to the Kings for #6, Collison and Landry (may have to take Thompson instead or add a second rounder or two).

I can't imagine Denver will trade Lawson to us for a future first just to watch us turn around and use Lawson to climb into the top 6. For these deals Denver would cut us out and find a way to make things work so that the #4 or 6 ends up in their pockets, not ours.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#503 » by stitches » Wed May 20, 2015 10:45 pm

Here's my post-combine, post-lottery 2015 draft board for the Jazz:

1. D'Angelo Russell
2. Karl-Anthony Towns
3. Emanuel Mudiay
4. Jahlil Okafor
5. Mario Hezonja
6. Justise Winslow
7. Kristaps Porzingis
8. Willie Cauley-Stein
9. Stanley Johnson
10. Myles Turner
11. Devin Booker
12. Kelly Oubre Jr
13. Bobby Portis
14. Frank Kaminsky
15. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
16. Kevon Looney
17. Sam Dekker
18. Trey Lyles
19. Cameron Payne
20. Jerian Grant
Second round pick wishes:

Robert Upshaw if he drops that far
JP Tokoto
Timothe Luwawu
George Lucas
Rakeem Christmas
Chris McCullough
Richaun Holmes
Cedi Osman
Aleksandar Vezenkov
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#504 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed May 20, 2015 11:21 pm

loserX wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

I can't imagine Denver will trade Lawson to us for a future first just to watch us turn around and use Lawson to climb into the top 6. For these deals Denver would cut us out and find a way to make things work so that the #4 or 6 ends up in their pockets, not ours.

Take it from the perspective of the Knicks or Kings. Dealing with the Jazz nets them Lawson plus the #12 pick in this draft. Dealing directly with the Nuggets nets them Lawson only (plus whatever other assets that the Nuggets would offer, but the Jazz could trump that). Moreover, the Nuggets are going into rebuild mode the moment they trade Lawson, so their future draft picks and young players are too valuable to move up a spot or two in this draft.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#505 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 20, 2015 11:40 pm

Listening to Locke, who tends to know what the Jazz are thinking because he is their puppet, look at us to draft Looney, Lyle, Dekker, Jefferson Hollis, or Turner.
Ingles is cooked.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#506 » by BudTugly » Thu May 21, 2015 1:24 am

If I had one off the wall prediction it would be that Frank doesn't even make it to us and that WCS is drafted top 4.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#507 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu May 21, 2015 4:15 am

GobertReport wrote:Listening to Locke, who tends to know what the Jazz are thinking because he is their puppet, look at us to draft Looney, Lyle, Dekker, Jefferson Hollis, or Turner.

He is also their propaganda/misinformation arm. Same guy who said that the Jazz were going to match Kanter no matter what his offer in off season a day or two before Kanter was traded.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#508 » by KDBG » Thu May 21, 2015 12:21 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Listening to Locke, who tends to know what the Jazz are thinking because he is their puppet, look at us to draft Looney, Lyle, Dekker, Jefferson Hollis, or Turner.

He is also their propaganda/misinformation arm. Same guy who said that the Jazz were going to match Kanter no matter what his offer in off season a day or two before Kanter was traded.

Last off-season, Dennis Lindsey actually alluded to the fact that they were planning to keep Kanter for the long haul. It's just that Gobert's emergence changed everything.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#509 » by dautjazz » Thu May 21, 2015 12:33 pm

KDBG wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

Last off-season, Dennis Lindsey actually alluded to the fact that they were planning to keep Kanter for the long haul. It's just that Gobert's emergence changed everything.

Well according to Kanter, he wasn't happy here for years, and Kanter publicly demanded a trade, that changed everything. Gobert's emergence made Kanter dispensable. I would of liked to keep Kanter, but his complete utter lack of defense was definitely hurting us. So good riddance.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#510 » by pickIBL » Fri May 22, 2015 2:05 am

Just so I'm on the record. I do prefer Montrezl Harrell to Frank as a pro. Rather than take Frank I would rather look down to a deal with a team like Houston. That way you get your PG and Booker replacement.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#511 » by pickIBL » Fri May 22, 2015 2:22 am

And if the Jazz go with a domestic with a 2nd rounder. My vote is this guy...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2mvLkNLiI[/youtube]
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

2015 Draft Prospect discussion thread 

Post#512 » by DelaneyRudd » Fri May 22, 2015 4:07 pm

sipclip wrote:
DanteSexum wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I would think RJ Hunter also has to be on our list. Just as good of a shooter as Booker, but is a bit better at creating his own shot. Obviously he will still primarily be a catch and shoot player. Don't let his percentages fool you, defenses focused on him like crazy and no one else really emerged to take shots (although I think we do have to question his shot selection). We'll see, I'd be happy with either at 12. Trading down for Hunter is also a possibility.

I see him as a real riser on draft day, maybe even above 12.

If we really like Hunter then I think a deal with the celtics for 16 and 28 makes a ton of sense. Take Hunter at 16 and I would love Jordan Mickey or Delon Wright at 28.

If you really like a guy I think you just take him and not get too cute. This guy isn't unknown and could easily be highly rated by your peers as well. If you want a low 20s pick you can buy them.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#513 » by StocktonShorts » Fri May 22, 2015 4:13 pm

dautjazz wrote:
KDBG wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:He is also their propaganda/misinformation arm. Same guy who said that the Jazz were going to match Kanter no matter what his offer in off season a day or two before Kanter was traded.

Well according to Kanter, he wasn't happy here for years, and Kanter publicly demanded a trade, that changed everything. Gobert's emergence made Kanter dispensable. I would of liked to keep Kanter, but his complete utter lack of defense was definitely hurting us. So good riddance.

It also sounds like Kanter's camp had been asking for a trade for years, so it really seems like this was calculated misinformation on the part of Jazz PR.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#514 » by StocktonShorts » Fri May 22, 2015 4:17 pm

If the Jazz draft Kaminsky they will be continuing a pattern of drafting the best player from the NCAA Tournament runner-up:

Deron Williams (2005)
Gordon Hayward (2010)
Trey Burke (2013)
Frank Kaminsky (2015)

Then again, they broke from this pattern by not drafting Randle last year.
KDBG
Starter

Post#515 » by KDBG » Fri May 22, 2015 4:45 pm

CHAD FORD: KAMINSKY IMPRESSED IN WORKOUTS

“People talk about D'Angelo Russell and Devin Booker as the best shooters in the draft. But Kaminsky is right there with them -- if not past them. It just so happens that he stands 7-feet tall.”

Frank was already my favorite choice at 12, and now this makes me want him even more. I don't care if he's older, white as snow, and not a freak athlete. The dude is a legit 7 footer who is unbelievably skilled and nimble for a guy his size. Now add in the fact that he may very well be the best shooter in the draft, and you're looking at a really unique and intriguing player.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#516 » by StocktonShorts » Fri May 22, 2015 5:05 pm

KDBG wrote:CHAD FORD: KAMINSKY IMPRESSED IN WORKOUTS

“People talk about D'Angelo Russell and Devin Booker as the best shooters in the draft. But Kaminsky is right there with them -- if not past them. It just so happens that he stands 7-feet tall.”

Frank was already my favorite choice at 12, and now this makes me want him even more. I don't care if he's older, white as snow, and not a freak athlete. The dude is a legit 7 footer who is unbelievably skilled and nimble for a guy his size. Now add in the fact that he may very well be the best shooter in the draft, and you're looking at a really unique and intriguing player.

How would Mehmet Okur fit on this current Jazz team as a third big?

I think he'd fit pretty damn well, and that's what has got me on board the Frank-the-tankwagon.
KDBG
Starter

Post#517 » by KDBG » Fri May 22, 2015 5:16 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:
KDBG wrote:CHAD FORD: KAMINSKY IMPRESSED IN WORKOUTS

How would Mehmet Okur fit on this current Jazz team as a third big?

I think he'd fit pretty damn well, and that's what has got me on board the Frank-the-tankwagon.

I've actually thought about the same hypothetical scenario.

The only thing that scares me is if he keeps killing these workouts, that he'll be gone by the time we pick. I read that Phil Jackson likes Frank a lot, since he would be a good fit in the triangle. I could see the Knicks trading back and picking him.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#518 » by pickIBL » Fri May 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Frank will have to defend NBA 4s. With the Jazz focusing on defense it feels like a bad fit on that end.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#519 » by sipclip » Fri May 22, 2015 6:52 pm

Frank will have to defend some nba 4's but I think he has become extremely underrated on that end of the court. I was listening to the radio yesterday and they were talking about how Kaminsky can't guard a chair and that thinking shows that they are just going with the usual white guy stereotype. Kamnisky isn't a great defender but he is a solid defender with very good feet.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#520 » by sipclip » Fri May 22, 2015 6:56 pm

DanteSexum wrote:
sipclip wrote:
DanteSexum wrote:I see him as a real riser on draft day, maybe even above 12.

If we really like Hunter then I think a deal with the celtics for 16 and 28 makes a ton of sense. Take Hunter at 16 and I would love Jordan Mickey or Delon Wright at 28.

If you really like a guy I think you just take him and not get too cute. This guy isn't unknown and could easily be highly rated by your peers as well. If you want a low 20s pick you can buy them.

I don't disagree that if you really like a player you may not want to get to cute with trying to trade down but in this draft I think it would be worth the risk because there are so many players that I really like in the top 20 if for some reason if Hunter doesn't drop that far.

Return to Utah Jazz