Who would you have picked in the draft instead of Exum?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Who would you have picked in the draft instead of Exum? 

Post#1 » by Hoops Addict » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:22 pm

Exum is looking very fast, very young....a high school kid playing against NBA and international men. Exum was picked based on potential.......who knows if he will be really good, but based on his size and speed he has huge upside.

Haters are criticizing him, but I ask......Who would you have picked in the draft instead?

I would have been upset if we picked Gordon......happy with the Exum pick. I am unsure about Smart.....expect he could be a great defender and long time NBA starter.

Before the season starts......Who would you have preferred the Jazz pick?
kebutah
Analyst
And1: 99

Re: Who would you have picked in the draft instead of Exum? 

Post#2 » by kebutah » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:29 pm

I think we made the right choice. We just need some patience.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:51 pm

The guy played vs low level competition in Australia, and then sat out many months without playing against anyone. He's also very young, and so far when he got to play against grown men in summer league and with the national team, he's been playing a lot out of position. I don't know what people expect he'll show under these circumstances, or why they're trippin' so soon that he isn't in a constant and permanent beast mode. He's isn't supposed to dominate right away, but he was the right pick imho.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#4 » by stitches » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:04 pm

Exum wasn't picked at 5 for what he is now, but for what he can become in the future. If you expected him to be a top 5 rookie this year, you simply didn't have realistic expectations. He's the rawest player of everybody in the lottery.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#5 » by AK47MVP » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:00 pm

He was drafted purely on hype and potential. May turn out decent, may turn out like another Milicic, Bargnani or Tzikitishvili.
Honestly I think looking back Jazz shoulda gone for the need and drafted one of best shooters - either Stauskas or McDermott. Not a sexy pick but would have contributed to the team right away and in an area we suck. Now we stuck waiting for Exum to develop. So far watching him playing vs men just confirms all my fears I had before the draft. He is not even close to being ready to play in NBA any meaningful minutes and was extremely overrated.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:47 pm

My big board was set at Wiggins, Parker, Gordon, Embiid, Exum, McDermott. I still feel really good with getting him in the draft. We don't ever swing for the fences, it was time.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#7 » by goober » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:56 pm

I had Exum ranked as the 3rd best prospect in the draft. I was extremely happy with getting him at 5. I don't expect anything at all from him this season, as others shouldn't as well. As another poster stated, swinging for the fences was a good thing to do.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#8 » by The59Sound » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:49 pm

AK47MVP wrote:He was drafted purely on hype and potential. May turn out decent, may turn out like another Milicic, Bargnani or Tzikitishvili.
Honestly I think looking back Jazz shoulda gone for the need and drafted one of best shooters - either Stauskas or McDermott. Not a sexy pick but would have contributed to the team right away and in an area we suck. Now we stuck waiting for Exum to develop. So far watching him playing vs men just confirms all my fears I had before the draft. He is not even close to being ready to play in NBA any meaningful minutes and was extremely overrated.

Do you believe we were on the cusp of becoming a good, competitive team with one more immediate contributor and that we can't afford to wait on a player to develop?
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
DeadlyTreeStump
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#9 » by DeadlyTreeStump » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:29 pm

I like the pick, I think a clear project type player makes sense for the Jazz since the team is not ready to try and make the playoffs yet. We can always get more lottery picks in the near future.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#10 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:53 pm

I would have preferred the knowns of Smart over the unknowns of Exum, personally. You know you'll get great perimeter defense with Smart (he owned Exum when they played each other) and someone who is unafraid to drive and create contact along the way. Shooting and emotional maturity- big questions for sure. However, Exum still has a bunch of questions after summer league and FIBA games thus far.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,462

Post#11 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:59 pm

The59Sound wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:He was drafted purely on hype and potential. May turn out decent, may turn out like another Milicic, Bargnani or Tzikitishvili.

Do you believe we were on the cusp of becoming a good, competitive team with one more immediate contributor and that we can't afford to wait on a player to develop?

Yeah, that part stuck out to me as well. Is drafting a role player with limited upside who will help you right away to improve from 25 games to 30 something be the better choice?

Look at all the D-League talent (or players at the same level) the Jazz signed this far. They are obviously tanking another season. Drafting a role player with limited upside for this team that is bereft of top tier talent over a guy who has the potential to become one in time is very short sighted, and it also wouldn't make you all that more competitive. Also, we got Hood who looks like he can contribute sooner rather than later, so there's something for everyone I guess.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#12 » by MHSL82 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 pm

I wanted to pick Marcus Smart just so we could trade him. Between that time and the end of the draft, he would've thought that his comments about us not being interested in him were wrong. For some reason, Smart rubbed me the wrong way. This, of course, is assuming we could trade him for someone we wanted and Exum wasn't an option.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#13 » by pickIBL » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:24 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
The59Sound wrote:

Yeah, that part stuck out to me as well. Is drafting a role player with limited upside who will help you right away to improve from 25 games to 30 something be the better choice?

Look at all the D-League talent (or players at the same level) the Jazz signed this far. They are obviously tanking another season. Drafting a role player with limited upside for this team that is bereft of top tier talent over a guy who has the potential to become one in time is very short sighted, and it also wouldn't make you all that more competitive. Also, we got Hood who looks like he can contribute sooner rather than later, so there's something for everyone I guess.

Trading down for Saric would have also worked with the 2015 tank plan. Exum looks like he belongs in the D-League or playing college ball in Indiana. He's a worthy long-term project. I agree with those saying judging him now is stupid.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#14 » by Paper Face » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:22 am

AK47MVP wrote:Now we stuck waiting for Exum to develop. So far watching him playing vs men just confirms all my fears I had before the draft. He is not even close to being ready to play in NBA any meaningful minutes and was extremely overrated.

I wish that was the worst of it. Word on the street is that he also hates dolphins.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#15 » by goober » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:32 am

Rudy Gobert was a project player, and is now looking pretty good. Let's not forget that
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#16 » by AK47MVP » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:58 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
The59Sound wrote:

I honestly believe Stauskas and McDermott will have better NBA career than Exum. But we will see.
HolyToledo12
Rookie
And1: 154

Post#17 » by HolyToledo12 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 1:31 pm

I wanted Smart as I saw Exum as a gamble and complete project. Now that I have seen summer league and his current play, I now really like Exum. I expected worse bc of his age. WIggins and Parker were good their Freshman year in college but not super special. I have always like Smart but now seeing Exum I am actually very happy with the pick. Exum, at minimum, will be at least as good as Deron WIlliams!
Play with the Pass, Play with a Purpose, and Play with Pace along with Obvious Unselfishness....Coach Snyder says the sky is purple than Jazz players say nice purple sky! LONG LIVE THE MAD SCIENTIST!!!!
gonzo
Junior
And1: 10

Post#18 » by gonzo » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:57 am

Exum all day long.

If he never lives up to the hype, so be it. We cried that we didn't try hard enough to lose one more game to be in a position to pick one of these top guys. Then we got him anyway.

Gordon vs. Exum, CP3 vs. Deron all over again. You gotta take the chance to win.

Seriously, how pissed would you be if we took the safe pick and Bos or LAL picked Exum and he turned into a star? Let's take our chances and build a team.
Racer X wrote:We are not out of this mother yet.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#19 » by dautjazz » Wed Sep 3, 2014 12:16 pm

Kind of tough to ask this question before they even play. Exum was seen as one of the four guys in this draft that could be a franchise player, so I think we were right to take our chances. Not to mention the guard spots are our weakpoint, especially PG. When Embiid went down, I really thought we had no chance at one of top 4, unless were taking our chances on Embiid, which honestly I didn't want to, I see him potentially being about Oden, but without the production in college to justify the hype.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#20 » by 12footrim » Fri Sep 5, 2014 6:11 pm

stitches wrote:Exum wasn't picked at 5 for what he is now, but for what he can become in the future. If you expected him to be a top 5 rookie this year, you simply didn't have realistic expectations. He's the rawest player of everybody in the lottery.

Great so what happens if he doesn't want to stay in Utah past his rookie contract? He's looking like he's years away and when he does finally develop then he'll probably be ready to leave.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Utah Jazz