Kanter vs Gobert

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Who do you think will be the better player for our organization?

Gobert
77%
Kanter
23%

Total votes: 78

falcon107
Junior
And1: 20

Re: Kanter vs Gobert 

Post#21 » by falcon107 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:17 am

For me it should be Favors vs Gobert. And eventually the answer would be Gobert.

Kanter will be better as he gets accustomed of his new role as stretch 4. His shoots will be better, he would better decide when to play inside, and when to shoot from outside.

As season continues I expect Gobert will steal minutes from Favors.

We will see.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#22 » by zimpy27 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:20 am

At the end of the day Utah have got 3 big men that can rotate through a whole game for 2 positions playing 25 to 30 minutes each a night. Pretty great position, doesn't matter who starts.

They'll have the same option with Exum, Burke and Burks. Hood and Hayward will fill sf and excess sg and pf minutes. Novak, Booker, and Evans will fill some minutes too.

Things are looking great for Utah.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,536

Post#23 » by jpengland » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:01 am

Gobert is simply an outstanding talent. He's amazingly long, agile, soft hands, rebounds on both ends, blocks shots and moves very intelligently.

He's probably never going to be a superstar but he will easily be a defensive anchor capable of putting up 10 - 15ppg on great efficiency.

You absoloutely have to start building around an Exum/Hayward/Gobert trio and look to add a superstar 2 or 4.

In another thread I have been told that Favors and Gobert don't work together, in that case, ship Favors for a stretch 4 or a 2 that can score in bunches and play defense.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#24 » by zimpy27 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:52 am

jpengland wrote:Gobert is simply an outstanding talent. He's amazingly long, agile, soft hands, rebounds on both ends, blocks shots and moves very intelligently.

He's probably never going to be a superstar but he will easily be a defensive anchor capable of putting up 10 - 15ppg on great efficiency.

You absoloutely have to start building around an Exum/Hayward/Gobert trio and look to add a superstar 2 or 4.

In another thread I have been told that Favors and Gobert don't work together, in that case, ship Favors for a stretch 4 or a 2 that can score in bunches and play defense.

I don't think trading is the answer now. Favors is the best player on the team right now. Big men get injured so you would be crazy to contemplate trading until one gets itchy feet. Play a season out first.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Stoosh
Junior
And1: 190

Post#25 » by Stoosh » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Having both is not a bad position for the Jazz to be in.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#26 » by dautjazz » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:47 pm

Same age, but Gobert feels leaps and bounds more consistent and better than Kanter. I think Gobert might already be our best big. Favors does look very good though with the reduced weight. He's moving very well.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
cinematographer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#27 » by cinematographer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:43 am

How do Jazz fans feel about John Henson and Brandon Knight? What else would the Bucks have to add to that duo to pry Gobert away?
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#28 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:50 am

cinematographer wrote:How do Jazz fans feel about John Henson and Brandon Knight? What else would the Bucks have to add to that duo to pry Gobert away?

I don't see a place for Brandon Knight on this team. I think Gobert is in the untradeable segment of his rookie deal; by which I mean the Jazz still see too much upside in him and he's so cheap that it would be hard to trade him away unless he was part of a significant deal.
cinematographer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#29 » by cinematographer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:01 am

StocktonShorts wrote:
cinematographer wrote:How do Jazz fans feel about John Henson and Brandon Knight? What else would the Bucks have to add to that duo to pry Gobert away?

I don't see a place for Brandon Knight on this team. I think Gobert is in the untradeable segment of his rookie deal; by which I mean the Jazz still see too much upside in him and he's so cheap that it would be hard to trade him away unless he was part of a significant deal.

Thank you. I think you guys have something pretty special with Exum and Gobert, and am a Hayward believer. Happy for you, but sad to hear that Gobert is essentially untouchable.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#30 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu Jan 8, 2015 4:06 am

Time to bring up this discussion again. People were saying some stuff about Favors and backing up Kanter... are we clear now? Have we reached consensus that Gobert + Favors is the best combo?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#31 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu Jan 8, 2015 4:08 am

erudite23 wrote:If it comes down to an either/or, it will be Favors or Gobert. You can't play those two together as presently constituted and have a productive offense. Kanter can play alongside either with his shooting range and versatile skillset--assuming he ever figures out the nuances of the game.

I don't think there's any reason to compare these two.

This comment was actually and 1'd 3 times. How do you feel about this now guys?
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#32 » by BudTugly » Thu Jan 8, 2015 4:28 am

Kanter generates his own offense which Favs isn't as good at but he's never going to reach what Derrick can be.

Really this conversation is about Gobert. That dude cannot be allowed to leave the Jazz. You flat out can't replace what he's got. At all.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#33 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Jan 8, 2015 4:54 am

Joao Saraiva wrote:
erudite23 wrote:If it comes down to an either/or, it will be Favors or Gobert. You can't play those two together as presently constituted and have a productive offense. Kanter can play alongside either with his shooting range and versatile skillset--assuming he ever figures out the nuances of the game.

I don't think there's any reason to compare these two.

This comment was actually and 1'd 3 times. How do you feel about this now guys?

This notion that Favors and Gobert can't play together hasn't been completely debunked, but we're getting closer and closer to it sounding like a proclamation from the Flat Earth Society.
Dozer!
Senior
And1: 46

Post#34 » by Dozer! » Thu Jan 8, 2015 5:14 am

I don't see how Gobert can go back to the bench. He has flat out been unbelievable. And Favors seems to play better with him also. I think Kanter actually will play better from the bench.
HolyToledo12
Rookie
And1: 154

Post#35 » by HolyToledo12 » Thu Jan 8, 2015 5:28 am

Tough decision for Coach Quin...start Gobert and bench Kanter in Kanter's contract year could make you have a very disgruntled player in Kanter on the bench. Start Kanter and bench Gobert looks quite unfair to Gobert....

I am not sure what I would do...I think I rotate the 3 players equally in other words Gobert/Favors then Favors/Kanter then Gobert/Kanter as starters...I would tell them together we are very happy with the way all 3 are playing and we want to be fair with all 3 so we are going to rotate them in the starting lineup...sounds like a high school basketball move but these guys are barely older than high school kids.
Play with the Pass, Play with a Purpose, and Play with Pace along with Obvious Unselfishness....Coach Snyder says the sky is purple than Jazz players say nice purple sky! LONG LIVE THE MAD SCIENTIST!!!!
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#36 » by BudTugly » Thu Jan 8, 2015 5:33 am

Whatever fuels defensive success. Guys will buy in so much more knowing it works. Kanter fits just fine with Gobert too BTW.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#37 » by Dry Fly » Thu Jan 8, 2015 7:18 am

It does look like the Favors/Gobert line is proving itself. Love it.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#38 » by dautjazz » Thu Jan 8, 2015 5:18 pm

So we can match any offer to Kanter, so lets see how the rest of the year plays out. I believe we could even amnesty Burks if he doesn't turn out as we hoped.
NickAnderson wrote:

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#39 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Jan 8, 2015 5:19 pm

dautjazz wrote:So we can match any offer to Kanter, so lets see how the rest of the year plays out. I believe we could even amnesty Burks if he doesn't turn out as we hoped.

Can't amnesty Burks - the amnesty only applies to contracts that were signed before the last CBA. Jazz don't have any amnesty eligible players.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/amnesty_eligible
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#40 » by dautjazz » Thu Jan 8, 2015 5:28 pm

Dry Fly wrote:It does look like the Favors/Gobert line is proving itself. Love it.

I like our bigs rotation. I think as long Kanter has Gobert or Favors in, Kanter's D wont be such a liability. The last couple of games, I do think Kanter was playing a little better defense too. We've got 49.3M in contracts for next (not including Kanter or Booker), and the cap is 63 this year, probably will be north of 65-66M next season, so we could probably keep them and still be under the cap, and way under the luxury tax still. When the TV deal rolls in, we'll be well below the CAP and can retain all our players.
NickAnderson wrote:

Return to Utah Jazz