Preseason: Jazz @ Thunder

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Preseason: Jazz @ Thunder 

Post#21 » by No-Man » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:56 am

Burke should've gone second or third in his Draft and he is going to be the best, or one of the three best players from that class (Giannis, Oladipo, Burke, Adams and Noel are clearly the top guys, with Carter-Williams, Bennett, close).
Kanter is beast, if Snyder continues to put him in the right spots.. and make him and Favors work together... you can expect a monster season, he gets numbers crazy easy.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#22 » by KDBG » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:32 am

Per 36, Trey is putting up 20.3 points per game, and 7.4 assists, while shooting 48% fg and 53% 3pt.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#23 » by The59Sound » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:34 am

pickIBL wrote:A couple of guys were cold, but overall I think you've got to give the pre-season an "A", The Jazz look good for the coach they picked and for not changing the young core while adding Exum and Hood. The Spurs don't make blockbuster trades, so it is hard for me to imagine the Jazz doing it. This is an organic rebuild.

You cool with matching Hayward now?

(No smarm. That's just what it sounds like you're saying.)
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
KDBG
Starter

Post#24 » by KDBG » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:39 am

I forgot to add, per 36 Trey is averaging just .81 turnovers a game.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#25 » by The59Sound » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:41 am

KDBG wrote:Per 36, Trey is putting up 20.3 points per game, and 7.4 assists, while shooting 48% fg and 53% 3pt.

Snyder + effort + improved IQ has done him well so far.

As a fence straddler who soured on Burke as he pounded the ball endlessly and played like a complete moron the second half of last season, I could become a believer if he maintains this momentum for an extended stretch during the early part of the regular season. His athletic limitations are still a disadvantage, but they're not insurmountable with the right coach, the right attitude, and enough intelligence.

No matter how much I criticize a guy, I never want him to fail or disappoint just for spite (unless they seem like a prick off the court). I'd love to see Trey put it all together.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#26 » by JazzMatt13 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:47 am

I am loving tonight's stat line.

Everyone knows Burke my main man, and is the best PG and rookie from last year. But the stats of tonight make me happy, for him and all.

Burke = Point Guard'd it up all around

Kanter = PF beast we need to score

Favors = The defensive center to hold down the boards, and protect rim

Hayward = the specialized facilitator, who happens to be top notch defender

Combined when all do what they were meant to do, we become great. But the stat of the night was 12 TO's. If that happened every game, we would probably be .500.

Personally I would say allowing 91 points is perfect, and 100+ a night is excellent. If we could only repeat this through the regular season.
KDBG
Starter

Post#27 » by KDBG » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:57 am

The59Sound wrote:
KDBG wrote:Per 36, Trey is putting up 20.3 points per game, and 7.4 assists, while shooting 48% fg and 53% 3pt.

Snyder + effort + improved IQ has done him well so far.

As a fence straddler who soured on Burke as he pounded the ball endlessly and played like a complete moron the second half of last season, I could become a believer if he maintains this momentum for an extended stretch during the early part of the regular season. His athletic limitations are still a disadvantage, but they're not insurmountable with the right coach, the right attitude, and enough intelligence.

No matter how much I criticize a guy, I never want him to fail or disappoint just for spite (unless they seem like a prick off the court). I'd love to see Trey put it all together.

I was in the exact same boat as you. I couldn't stand watching him chuck up ill-advised jumpers all game. It pissed me off even more because I knew coming out of college that he had some really nice point guard skills that he wasn't taking advantage of in the NBA. He was trying to play like Allen Iverson instead of CP3 or Steve Nash. But this year, he's embraced being a true point guard, and it's paying huge dividends. You're right, he still has his athletic and size limitations, but he's a very smart basketball player, and he's much quicker than I thought after watching him this season.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#28 » by JazzMatt13 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:59 am

Last year, Spurs had 13.5 TO and 19.1 AST. I like to point out that we looked like Spur

That is the stat line to go for, over all else. 22 assists and 12 turn overs, is what we want every night. If Burke and Hayward could combine for 10-15 a night, with 5 TO's tops between them, we could certainly have a solid back court. Leaving the room for error on Exum and Burks part.

Defense is also a big part I hope to see us excel at. 6 blocks and 5 steals, any combo of those two above 10 is what i want to see every night. We certainly can't afford to be worst in defense again.

I think the goal should be 50% every night, 40% is just damn lucky we won. Especially since we were 26% at 3 pointer.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 955

Post#29 » by tleikheen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:01 am

My take on Trey Burke....he has cut down on the over dribbling and he's getting better shots . BUT it's more so because Favors ,Kanter and Gobert and Hayward give Burke more operating room and better looks ,it's exactly what he needed.More space.
Viktor Vaughn
Junior
And1: 37

Post#30 » by Viktor Vaughn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:24 am

It's not a metric that can be easily measured, but it's also worth noting that Trey is getting into defence now. The kid has improved so much since the off season it's absurd.
KDBG
Starter

Post#31 » by KDBG » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:31 am

Viktor Vaughn wrote:It's not a metric that can be easily measured, but it's also worth noting that Trey is getting into defence now. The kid has improved so much since the off season it's absurd.

He's just one of those players that is extremely coachable. I think he's really bought into Quin's system and philosophies. As Quin said himself, defense is becoming who Trey is. If Trey keeps that mindset, he's going to keep showing major improvements.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#32 » by MHSL82 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:29 am

KDBG wrote:
Viktor Vaughn wrote:It's not a metric that can be easily measured, but it's also worth noting that Trey is getting into defence now. The kid has improved so much since the off season it's absurd.

He's just one of those players that is extremely coachable. I think he's really bought into Quin's system and philosophies. As Quin said himself, defense is becoming who Trey is. If Trey keeps that mindset, he's going to keep showing major improvements.

Could Corbin have been good to just get Burke time to learn the NBA, not offense, get rookieness out? Nah, Corbin was good for little HC-wise. Snyder last year in his rookie year would have been better. We'll just see more growth under Snyder in year 2 for Burke than we would have seen with Burke under Snyder during last year hypothetically.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#33 » by sipclip » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:32 am

You have to be impressed with the improvement of Burke. I wrote him off as at best a really good backup pg but he has been awesome. Then you have Favors who dropped weight and looks so much more athletic and confident out there. It is great to watch. Kanter so far has looked a little out of place in his new role but hopefully tonight is the beginning of him gaining some confidence in his new role.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#34 » by MHSL82 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:34 am

The59Sound wrote:Snyder + effort + improved IQ has done him well so far.

HolyToledo's Sig: Play with the Pass, Play with a Purpose, and Play with Pace along with Obvious Unselfishness....Coach Snyder says the sky is purple than Jazz players say nice purple sky! LONG LIVE THE MAD SCIENTIST!!!!
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#35 » by pickIBL » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 pm

The59Sound wrote:
pickIBL wrote:A couple of guys were cold, but overall I think you've got to give the pre-season an "A", The Jazz look good for the coach they picked and for not changing the young core while adding Exum and Hood. The Spurs don't make blockbuster trades, so it is hard for me to imagine the Jazz doing it. This is an organic rebuild.

You cool with matching Hayward now?

(No smarm. That's just what it sounds like you're saying.)

My A grade was for just the pre-season. I wanted to give Coach and the team credit for what they have accomplished. Now we can argue about how important pre-season is, but you can't fault them for doing well in it.

That grade doesn't reflect off-season moves, nor do I give an automatic endorsement of no big trades. Personally I would have an open dialog regarding Ricky Rubio. I think Exum is a ways out, and I think they could play together in the future as well. So again not an endorsement of the Hayward overpay.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL

Return to Utah Jazz