2014 Trends and Box Score Watching

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Re: 2014 Trends and Box Score Watching 

Post#61 » by JazzMatt13 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 6:22 am

Coach Q basically allows these guys to make shooting mistakes, but coach rather you make real shots and miss them, rather than to make horrendous, contested shots that shouldn't be shot.

Exum seems to focusing on shooting 3 point shots. I don't feel the fire in his belly. He is never aggressive, and is never attacking the rim. We said same about Burke last year, but at least he did everything progressively. He can actually shoot pretty efficiently, even though his percentages are below par.

With these guys getting light punishment this season to learn from mistakes, I just don't feel like guys are putting themselves out there to make real mistakes to learn of. I would let Kanter shoot 4 hook shots a game if I knew he could land it all next year, I would let Exum drive to basket 6 times a night for 0 points if I knew in 2 seasons he could get to rim whenever he wants.

Its like we have an enigmatic offense, like our guys are trying way to hard to be specific in our attack. I mean I see fast breaks where we stop and throw back to top of key and use whole shot clock. I think we suffer from an identity crisis like Nuggets, just not as bad. If it wasn't for our front court and their defense, we wouldn't have an identity, and that is barely holding up.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#62 » by MHSL82 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:36 pm

JazzMatt13 wrote:Coach Q basically allows these guys to make shooting mistakes, but coach rather you make real shots and miss them, rather than to make horrendous, contested shots that shouldn't be shot.

Exum seems to focusing on shooting 3 point shots. I don't feel the fire in his belly. He is never aggressive, and is never attacking the rim. We said same about Burke last year, but at least he did everything progressively. He can actually shoot pretty efficiently, even though his percentages are below par.

With these guys getting light punishment this season to learn from mistakes, I just don't feel like guys are putting themselves out there to make real mistakes to learn of. I would let Kanter shoot 4 hook shots a game if I knew he could land it all next year, I would let Exum drive to basket 6 times a night for 0 points if I knew in 2 seasons he could get to rim whenever he wants.

Its like we have an enigmatic offense, like our guys are trying way to hard to be specific in our attack. I mean I see fast breaks where we stop and throw back to top of key and use whole shot clock. I think we suffer from an identity crisis like Nuggets, just not as bad. If it wasn't for our front court and their defense, we wouldn't have an identity, and that is barely holding up.

I know they were trying to set up the best shot because if you shoot a bad shot then there's no way to come back; however, I was upset last night when it seem like we were running out the clock when we were down by 10 to 15 points with three or four minutes to go. We need to have plays or be aggressive to try to catch up.

At the end of the first half, we outscored them 9 to 0 to end it. That was in about two minutes. I didn't notice how the shot clock was in that situation, but if we could score 9 points in 2 minutes, then in that situation, we must of been shooting well and shooting early in the shot clock.

In the last three or four minutes of the game it seem like there was always 8 to 4 seconds left. I might be totally wrong it just seem like it wasn't very fast. I think you could tell that we were tired and maybe that's why our pace wasn't very fast. It seems like we were setting up the shot the whole time.

Great points at having patients if they are doing the things that they will have to pick it out later. If we are doing things that they don't need to develop as much and missing and there's less of the patience from us.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#63 » by MHSL82 » Thu Feb 5, 2015 4:45 pm

We are +49 in the fourth quarter for the last 29 games.
We are +56 in the third quarter for the last 13 games.
We are +3 in the second quarter for the last 10 games.
We are +15 in the first quarter for the last 14 games.

We are +3 in the first half for the last 14 games.
We are +103 in the second half for the last 45 games. (+62 in last 31.)

Yay! Just kidding.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#64 » by MHSL82 » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:44 pm

Trey made it easy on me last night. No Sixth Man for him.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#65 » by MHSL82 » Sun Feb 8, 2015 5:25 pm

MHSL82 wrote:Trey made it easy on me last night. No Sixth Man for him.

Gave it to Trey over Booker last night because Trey got assists and rebounds, and while he shot worse and played more minutes, he scored more. 4/5 for Booker in one quarter is great, as you could extrapolate that to 18 points playing Trey's minutes, he didn't really do anything else besides one block. Just trying to keep the Trey hate in check. It's too easy to dismiss certain things when you just focus on his shooting (too much or too low percentage).
JazzMatt13
Analyst

Post#66 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 12:04 am

Honestly I fell real good. This time last year, I was on "drinking binge" depression level about our Jazz.

Right now, I am in "lets rock" of excitement of this Jazz.

If you look at the February Predictions, I knew the 4 games in 5 nights would all be losses, just like the last one. However, we managed to come in on that last game and get a win.

I know it is hard to see sometimes, but there is SO MUCH progress that we got this year. I know it was slow, but we had so many new guys, new coach, and then so many injuries. All our 2's were beat up this season, Burks, Hood and Ingles.
JazzMatt13
Analyst

Post#67 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 12:08 am

This is last part of my February Prediction: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1370179#start_here

What I Said on February 1st:
"On hind site, I would want to swap that @Hornets win with the Kings visit. It makes more sense we got 1-3 to start Feb, on that 4 games in 5 days, then lose again right after. But I am hoping for 1-3, and a win on Hornets, then just 1 win in the following 3 games. To top it off, my 3 game winning streak, which could be four if we beat Spurs prior. If all this happens, that gives us a 6 win February, which is a success in my eyes."

I basically predicted the Kings win, and now we just need 2 wins before we face Lakers on 25th to make this a winning month:

Extracted from my prediction:
5-Mon, Feb 9 @ New Orleans Win*
6-Wed, Feb 11 @ Dallas Loss
7-Fri, Feb 20 vs Portland Win*
8-Mon, Feb 23 vs San Antonio Loss

If my prediction goes right, we can win 1 before All-star, and then win 1 before our 3 game winning streak to end month. The * were saying these were my questionable wins. But now with Davis out, I am 100% confident we win Pelicans tomorrow.
JazzMatt13
Analyst

Post#68 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 12:12 am

Oh yeah the point, we are doing better, and better. A winning February after losing 3 on a 4 in 5, that is real poise.
JazzMatt13
Analyst

Post#69 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 1:11 am

Actually we should compile a list. Compare Hayward to Lebron/Durant/Harden. Not so much cruelty style, but naming the things he needs to do or improve to be at their national, and league awesomeness.

James/Durant/Harden, what Hayward needs to be in group with them:

-Scoring should be 25 ppg and a PER of 25
-Shooting should be 48-38-85 in percentages(FG-3PT-FT)
-4 quarter clutch time performances
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#70 » by KqWIN » Mon Feb 9, 2015 1:48 am

LeBron and Durant are two of the best to ever play the game. Harden may be the MVP this year...Let's settle down on Hayward. What can he do better?

1. Stay engaged defensively, especially off the ball.
2. Improve short floater game.
3. Shoot more threes.
4. Have a higher usage rate.
5. Tighten up ball handling.
JazzMatt13
Analyst

Post#71 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 3:10 am

KqWIN wrote:LeBron and Durant are two of the best to ever play the game. Harden may be the MVP this year...Let's settle down on Hayward. What can he do better?

1. Stay engaged defensively, especially off the ball.
2. Improve short floater game.
3. Shoot more threes.
4. Have a higher usage rate.
5. Tighten up ball handling.

Yeah I picked them because they are the best, and are better versions of Hayward. Which is why they make great comparisons, cause as good as we think Hayward is, there is a lot more he can do.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#72 » by KqWIN » Mon Feb 9, 2015 5:30 am

JazzMatt13 wrote:Yeah I picked them because they are the best, and are better versions of Hayward. Which is why they make great comparisons, cause as good as we think Hayward is, there is a lot more he can do.

They are a better version of a better version of Hayward. Shall we compare Hayward to MJ next?
JazzMatt13
Analyst

Post#73 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 8:09 pm

KqWIN wrote:
JazzMatt13 wrote:Yeah I picked them because they are the best, and are better versions of Hayward. Which is why they make great comparisons, cause as good as we think Hayward is, there is a lot more he can do.

They are a better version of a better version of Hayward. Shall we compare Hayward to MJ next?

Well he is our best player, but no point in comparing to MJ he is from different era. And I rather not talk about Hayward anymore.

People start threads but never want to run it. They make 1 big man posts, expect everyone to read and walk away. Only trying to keep things going, but I ain't going to come to any conclusions with bad responses.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#74 » by MHSL82 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:06 am

Maybe it's just expectations, but it seemed like Trey was a very quiet 0-10 tonight against the Pelicans. Usually, I get upset with his misses and how often he shoots, but now, it's like I'm numb to it. I'm all about the, "come on, get the offensive rebound Kanter!" I've given up worrying about Trey shooting, though I know he will make some eventually. I look at the box score and think, "good job, Trey, only 10 shots." "Oh, zero made? Still, 10 shots only."
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#75 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:24 pm

One has to wonder if Kanter was such an offensive rebounding beast if we didn't have Trey to miss all those shots...
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#76 » by tleikheen » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:19 am

One has to wonder if Kanter was such an offensive rebounding beast if we didn't have Trey to miss all those shots..

GOOD CALL....Kanter has in inside track knowing theirs a 70% chance the Trey Burke will miss the shot and can go get the missed shots
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by MHSL82 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:05 am

Even with fewer points, Hayward was the MVP with his 9 rebounds and 8 assists. It was hard to select the next two - Trey got it because 6-15 is a victory for him, his makes were timely, and he got 6 rebounds and 4 assists - I like assists. Favors 3 blocks almost got it, but wanted more rebounds if that were to happen.

Kanter may have either played his last game with just enough points to avoid Burke overcoming him - or we keep him but start Gobert. This almost effectively crowns Booker as the Sixth Man - as Gobert can't win that if he's starting. That might have been likely anyway because if we couldn't trade him, we might have promoted Gobert anyway - that would increase bench points and starting defense.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by MHSL82 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:11 am

MHSL82 wrote:Even with fewer points, Hayward was the MVP with his 9 rebounds and 8 assists. It was hard to select the next two - Trey got it because 6-15 is a victory for him, his makes were timely, and he got 6 rebounds and 4 assists - I like assists. Favors 3 blocks almost got it, but wanted more rebounds if that were to happen.

Kanter may have either played his last game with just enough points to avoid Burke overcoming him - or we keep him but start Gobert. This almost effectively crowns Booker as the Sixth Man - as Gobert can't win that if he's starting. That might have been likely anyway because if we couldn't trade him, we might have promoted Gobert anyway - that would increase bench points and starting defense.

Edit: Just like Burke, I forgot about J.J. Barea - letting him score that much demotes him from 2nd to 3rd and that's only because no one else showed up. Kept him at first for Sixth Man because Novak didn't rebound, assist, or steal much.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#79 » by MHSL82 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:12 pm

Rudy got so close to being in the lead for sixth man, but now he's a starter. If Trevor Booker never gets any more points for sixth man, I might review previous games to see if Rudy should win that. But we have 28 games to go.

I didn't know whether to put Trey or Rudy as the third MVP. I went with the starter. I haven't been able to watch the game yet, so I don't know if Burke was the guy to get us that big second half.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#80 » by MHSL82 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:15 pm

I hope Trevor Booker picks it up, he's only showed up in my Sixth Man Rankings twice in the last 10 games, once as the first Sixth Man and one as the second Sixth Man (Seventh Man?).

Return to Utah Jazz