MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Re: Exum should start.http://cymationnasal.com/clk?cid=rgm&a 

Post#61 » by MHSL82 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:27 pm

idajazz wrote:
RaulLopez wrote:
idajazz wrote:I don't see where starting Exum now hurts anything, Trey obviously isn't getting it done.
I think the Jazz will need to make a decision soon, If Exum is going to be the guy then you might as well make the switch now. I'm sure Trey isn't going to be happy and might as well get all that out of the way this yr.

I fully expect a dramatic improvement next year and the post season. would rather see this issue put to bed long before then.

Then you do not understand player development or team development.

It would hurt Exum. His body can not take 30 minutes a game. He would break down and probably have a major injury. Add to that, he would not be leaning the game the right way, as he would be going against the top players on the other team and destroying his confidence and decision making.

And it would hurt the team. The Jazz have guys that hate to lose and starting Exum would lead to many more loses. They you lose guys. Then you lose the coach.

Starting Exum has to be one of the stupidest things I have even seen on this board!!!!!!!!!

Why does starting him require 30 + min?
Why would playing against top talent hurt? I don't buy that argument at all. I believe that a young player with his talent level will actually benefit and learn more by playing against the best.
NOBODY made that argument last year with Treyd, whats the difference? For years everybody on this board whined and complained about Sloan and then Corbin not playing rookies, People were going nuts when Deron was riding pine. Now with Exum it is just backasswards. It is flat out dumb to say that it will hurt his confidence, if he is that fragile :roll: he shouldn't be in the NBA.

If it was black or white, start him or don't start him, the whole year or not, I would probably choose to have him come off the bench but I can see it the other way. But if there's a way to have something in the middle, I like that they are starting Trey to start and then maybe switching over to Exum. My problem with that is if we are developing a better and better offense, what is the impetus to put Exum in the starting lineup? Only a struggling team can really justify switching a starter. If they had started this whole year with Exum than I could see it.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Re: Exum should start. 

Post#62 » by StocktonShorts » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:38 am

MHSL82 wrote:
idajazz wrote:
RaulLopez wrote:
Then you do not understand player development or team development.

It would hurt Exum. His body can not take 30 minutes a game. He would break down and probably have a major injury. Add to that, he would not be leaning the game the right way, as he would be going against the top players on the other team and destroying his confidence and decision making.

And it would hurt the team. The Jazz have guys that hate to lose and starting Exum would lead to many more loses. They you lose guys. Then you lose the coach.

Starting Exum has to be one of the stupidest things I have even seen on this board!!!!!!!!!

Why does starting him require 30 + min?
Why would playing against top talent hurt? I don't buy that argument at all. I believe that a young player with his talent level will actually benefit and learn more by playing against the best.
NOBODY made that argument last year with Treyd, whats the difference? For years everybody on this board whined and complained about Sloan and then Corbin not playing rookies, People were going nuts when Deron was riding pine. Now with Exum it is just backasswards. It is flat out dumb to say that it will hurt his confidence, if he is that fragile :roll: he shouldn't be in the NBA.

If it was black or white, start him or don't start him, the whole year or not, I would probably choose to have him come off the bench but I can see it the other way. But if there's a way to have something in the middle, I like that they are starting Trey to start and then maybe switching over to Exum. My problem with that is if we are developing a better and better offense, what is the impetus to put Exum in the starting lineup?

Because the defense is still awful.

And you could argue the offense is decent in spite of and not because of Burke.
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#63 » by NBAchamps2017 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:43 am

I am rooting for your team starting this season due to Exum. I believe my team really missed out a better talent / person by passing on him. My take is; give him not more than 25 min of play. I guess it is just enough to hone his skills and eventually next season overtake Burke as the main PG. Burke is a nice spark plug off the bench with his scoring/slashing ability (e.g. Daren Collison, Reggie Jackson etc) or he can be a mini Iverson.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#64 » by The59Sound » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:46 am

NBAchamps2017 wrote: Burke [...] can be a mini Iverson.

"We talkin' 'bout PASSING..."
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#65 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:15 am

I think Snyder is utilizing Exum EXACTLY right. I wouldn't change it one bit.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 955

Post#66 » by tleikheen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:03 am

In yesterday's weekly chat Chad Ford shared that he's talked with sources close to the Jazz and they said that the Jazz are really happy with Dante and think he is going to be great and consider him to be their future franchise player.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford

Chris (SLC):
Do you think Quin Snyder will eventually give Dante Exum the nod to start at point guard given the occasional flashes of brilliance he's shown so far? I would love to see a Dane Exum-Alec Burks back court at some point this season.

Chad Ford:
I mentioned this last week and feel even stronger about it this week after talking to sources close to the Jazz. They know Exum is going to be amazing and quite possibly their franchise player. He's not ready yet. He has to get stronger to handle all the contact he gets. But he's got the tools, has the basketball IQ, has the work ethic to be GREAT. And his jump shot is dramatically improving. Fast forward two years and he's likely Utah's No. 1 option. But it's early and I think they are erroring on the side of patience right now. He doesn't need to be, nor is he ready to be THE guy right now. I think Burke might start the whole season. But by next year, or the year after, this will be Exum's team to run.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#67 » by zimpy27 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:37 pm

tleikheen wrote:
In yesterday's weekly chat Chad Ford shared that he's talked with sources close to the Jazz and they said that the Jazz are really happy with Dante and think he is going to be great and consider him to be their future franchise player.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford

Chris (SLC):
Do you think Quin Snyder will eventually give Dante Exum the nod to start at point guard given the occasional flashes of brilliance he's shown so far? I would love to see a Dane Exum-Alec Burks back court at some point this season.

Chad Ford:
I mentioned this last week and feel even stronger about it this week after talking to sources close to the Jazz. They know Exum is going to be amazing and quite possibly their franchise player. He's not ready yet. He has to get stronger to handle all the contact he gets. But he's got the tools, has the basketball IQ, has the work ethic to be GREAT. And his jump shot is dramatically improving. Fast forward two years and he's likely Utah's No. 1 option. But it's early and I think they are erroring on the side of patience right now. He doesn't need to be, nor is he ready to be THE guy right now. I think Burke might start the whole season. But by next year, or the year after, this will be Exum's team to run.

I certainly agree, he will be the number 1 guy on the jazz in his 3rd season. His basketball IQ has been the biggest surprise. That kind of changes everything for me. Probably the best comparison to what sort of player he might be was made by Exum himself when he said Manu Ginobili. They look so similar in their movement, shooting style and finishes. If you even compare their rookie stats they are pretty much equal with Manu having better ft%. Keeping in mind Manu was 25 when he entered the NBA, Exum is 19.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to Utah Jazz