Trey Burke trade contest

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Re: Trey Burke trade contest 

Post#61 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:00 pm

This breaks the can't trade Kanter along with Burke requirement
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kr3hnyb (Lakers throw in 2015 Houston pick, perhaps Nets throw in 2nd rounder).

Jazz do it as Burke isn't PGOTF and Kanter isn't PFOTF as he just can't defend too many starting PFs or COTF as he lacks rim protection and can't surpass Favors or Gobert at that position. Both are major defensive liabilities. AK47 can play limited minutes and provide defense, which could balance out at least the lineup of AK47 and Exum with Burks, Hayward and Favors. Even if adding in AK47 doesn't work, it is not a huge concern as he is an expiring and the Jazz are still looking for flexibility and the right fit of players to move forward at this point. I'm not convinced that Randle with be the PFOTF, but the Jazz will have 2-3 years to figure it out or use him as trade bait on a favorable rookie contract. Karasev is a throw in to see how he would work out or trade bait as well. Jazz could get a TPE from Nets for Clark. Jazz would need to sign another PG for depth. I'd like to see how Mekel works, he had a great preseason and has experience overseas. This move would also free up around $10M-$15M/yr over the next couple of seasons to sign a FA or two.

Lakers do it in order to get rid of burden (financial and PR) that Nash has been. Moreover, if used correctly, Kanter could be a double double machine, possibly a 20/10 guy (although question still remains if he is a net positive, but perhaps paired with Davis or even Hill in more traditional post roles would work). Lakers need help at PG, and would probably welcome Burke fighting for the starting spot.

Nets do it to get rid of AK47 and save $8M-$10M.

Sixers do it as they are way below the cap minimum, and getting the Lakers 2015 Houston 1st, and possibly a Nets future 2nd, a much better option than paying their pitiful roster a nice raise at the end of the year.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#62 » by pickIBL » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:18 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:This breaks the can't trade Kanter along with Burke requirement
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kr3hnyb (Lakers throw in 2015 Houston pick, perhaps Nets throw in 2nd rounder).

Jazz do it as Burke isn't PGOTF and Kanter isn't PFOTF as he just can't defend too many starting PFs or COTF as he lacks rim protection and can't surpass Favors or Gobert at that position. Both are major defensive liabilities. AK47 can play limited minutes and provide defense, which could balance out at least the lineup of AK47 and Exum with Burks, Hayward and Favors. Even if adding in AK47 doesn't work, it is not a huge concern as he is an expiring and the Jazz are still looking for flexibility and the right fit of players to move forward at this point. I'm not convinced that Randle with be the PFOTF, but the Jazz will have 2-3 years to figure it out or use him as trade bait on a favorable rookie contract. Karasev is a throw in to see how he would work out or trade bait as well. Jazz could get a TPE from Nets for Clark. Jazz would need to sign another PG for depth. I'd like to see how Mekel works, he had a great preseason and has experience overseas. This move would also free up around $10M-$15M/yr over the next couple of seasons to sign a FA or two.

Lakers do it in order to get rid of burden (financial and PR) that Nash has been. Moreover, if used correctly, Kanter could be a double double machine, possibly a 20/10 guy (although question still remains if he is a net positive, but perhaps paired with Davis or even Hill in more traditional post roles would work). Lakers need help at PG, and would probably welcome Burke fighting for the starting spot.

Nets do it to get rid of AK47 and save $8M-$10M.

Sixers do it as they are way below the cap minimum, and getting the Lakers 2015 Houston 1st, and possibly a Nets future 2nd, a much better option than paying their pitiful roster a nice raise at the end of the year.

IDK if the Jazz have to do all that. Exum is going to overtake Burke. So that problem resolves itself next season. I do think the Jazz should shop Kanter mainly because Tomic will be free and clear this summer.

There are several stashes right now that I'd prefer the Jazz chase rather than do a blockbuster. Tomic has cleared the bar and passed the test. He is NBA starter ready. The fact that he is lean probably bodes well for his longevity in the NBA.

Deshaun Thomas and Bertans are both interesting stashes on the Spurs. Dallas has Koponen who says he wants to play in the NBA next year. On the same team in Russia you have Joffrey Lauvergne.

The Jazz are going to get another high lotto pick, but going forward I'd prefer they chase more seasoned prospects. Koponen provides both ball movement and dead eye shooting. Koponen intrigues me a lot because he fits so well with Exum. He both provides help running the offense and spaces the floor. The sooner Burks slides into the 6th man role, the better. If the Jazz can plug in a Koponen or Llull in their with Exum that'd fit the system well.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
maccca3232
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#63 » by maccca3232 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:22 am

Considering the following two points are widely accepted in the NBA I don't understand the reasons for wanting to trade Trey:

1. You should't judge a guy until they have been in the league 3 years.
2. PG is the hardest position to learn.

You don't have to look that hard to find other examples of players who have struggled their first couple of years in the league before becoming sought after assets (and signing big contracts).

I give you Lance Stephenson and Eric Bledsoe:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... hla01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ser01.html

They both had TS% below .500 and a PER of less than 12 in both their first couple of seasons.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#64 » by pickIBL » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:36 am

This is an interesting time to review the 2013 draft with Trey, Schroder, Wolters, and MCW. So far this year Schroder has played better in his role on the Hawks than the rest. So IM has been right so far that the Jazz didn't need to make that draft day trade for Trey.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#65 » by JazzMatt13 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:10 am

In comparison, Burke looks much better:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ree-video/

This is Carter-WIlliams normal thing, run the lane with little vision, jump and make passes in air if not wildly getting to rim.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#66 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:50 pm

JazzMatt13 wrote:In comparison, Burke looks much better:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... ree-video/

This is Carter-WIlliams normal thing, run the lane with little vision, jump and make passes in air if not wildly getting to rim.

MCW and Trey have both been terrible on offense. But MCW can defend much better, and Trey's defense is killing the Jazz.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.

Return to Utah Jazz