KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Feed The Beasts 

Post#1 » by KDBG » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Per 36 Minutes:
Favors - 18.8 pts 10.4 rpg .553 FG% 23 PER
Kanter - 19.9 pts 9.5 rpg .553 FG% 19.2 PER

This team needs to define itself by centering their offense around these two B.A.M.Fs. Just like in football, the best teams base their offense around the running game, which opens up passing lanes for the receivers. The more we pound the ball inside, the better looks Burke, Burks, Hayward, Exum, etc will ultimately get.

We can't have anymore of this swinging the ball around the perimeter half-assed, while also chucking up ill-advised outside shots. #1, that just creates a stagnated offense and horrible shooting percentages, especially for our perimeter players. #2, our bigs aren't involved and become invisible on the court. I don't care if it's 2014, you can still play inside-out with success.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Re: Feed The Beasts 

Post#2 » by JazzyPhinz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:19 pm

We try to feed the beasts the best we can. Kanter is the only one with some post moves while Favors seems to face up more.

What ends up happening is Kanter will take some iso shots and if they dont go in we go away from that.
The reason we see what we see is because its the most effective way to score currently. We need Gordon and the wings to swing it around to create movement and opportunities.

We really need a PG who can hit them in the right spots to get them easy buckets. A Rubio type of playmaker will really open this offense up. Hopefully Exum can provide that because Trey definitely cant.
Matt007b
Sixth Man
And1: 161

Post#3 » by Matt007b » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:21 pm

^Agreed

hopefully Snyder's crew will look at the numbers and will tell the bigs to go inside first prefferably over outside shots, of course take the open outside and stay in the offence that Snyder wants..but go for the high % shot inside...also I've notice Favors if he doesn't go straight up and down during an outside shot it's not going it (especially banking the shot like trey likes to do..)

but yeah turnovers turnovers turnovers gotta be fixed! :P
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#4 » by pickIBL » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:25 pm

KDBG wrote:Per 36 Minutes:

We can't have anymore of this swinging the ball around the perimeter half-assed, I don't care if it's 2014, you can still play inside-out with success.

To play inside-out you need bigs that see the floor well and pass out. I don't see the Jazz in a hurry to trade a 22 year old shooting 55%, but at some point having a passing big for a passing offense would be ideal.

This team doesn't have a legit starting PG right now. Trey is a back-up and Exum is a teenage prospect. Booker is starting to level out. Hood is out. Burks hasn't started the season very efficiently. The Jazz have true finds in Hayward and Favors. Kanter is a project with some strong points. Exum is a prospect. Alec looks like a future 6th man in the making.

But as of right now there is no PG, no real bench, and the budding stars on this team will need more help. This team would look better with a higher IQ big man. The Jazz have that stashed.

The Jazz are going to take another pounding, so I'd just say be prepared for it.

Ultimately Tomic is a bargain at the MLE. The Jazz will need to decide between Kanter and Gobert. I think Exum will need multiple years of seasoning, so finding a 3rd PG option is also of great importance. Unless they plan to tank next year.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,463

Post#5 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:22 pm

JazzyPhinz wrote:We try to feed the beasts the best we can. Kanter is the only one with some post moves while Favors seems to face up more.

We don't though. Kanter is the 5th option on offense, often completely ignored, while he might be the best offensive player on this team. Furthermore, he takes mostly outside shots. NO POST UPS for the best post up player on the team. He can go entire games without a single post up possession.

With Favors, things are better. He does get more touches and at various points on the floor, and he converts them with improved overall offensive skill.

For all the passing on this new offense, the pace is still slow (92.96 vs 93.57) last season, and those passes are a lot of jerking around without much purpose. I still don't see any legit off ball movement with a purpose, no real cutting and attempts to become a real target for passes and break the defense, just a lot of wide passes behind the 3pt line.

We can blame it on our bigs all we want, but this system isn't really built around passing bigs anyway. And you need good shooters to pass the ball to out of the post. Let's not drop it all on the bigs. Jazz are currently 19th in 3pt%.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#6 » by pickIBL » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:25 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
JazzyPhinz wrote:We try to feed the beasts the best we can. Kanter is the only one with some post moves while Favors seems to face up more.

We don't though. Kanter is the 5th option on offense, often completely ignored, while he might be the best offensive player on this team. Furthermore, he takes mostly outside shots. NO POST UPS for the best post up player on the team. He can go entire games without a single post up possession.

With Favors, things are better. He does get more touches and at various points on the floor, and he converts them with improved overall offensive skill.

For all the passing on this new offense, the pace is still slow, and those passes are a lot of jerking around without much purpose. I still don't see any legit off ball movement with a purpose, no real cutting and attempts to become a real target for passes and break the defense, just a lot of wide passes behind the 3pt line.

We can blame it on our bigs all we want, but this system isn't really built around passing bigs anyway. And you need good shooters to pass the ball to out of the post. Let's not drop it all on the bigs. Jazz are currently 19th in 3pt%.

I think he was blaming the PG not the bigs.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#7 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:27 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

For all the passing on this new offense, the pace is still slow, and those passes are a lot of jerking around without much purpose. I still don't see any legit off ball movement with a purpose, no real cutting and attempts to become a real target for passes and break the defense, just a lot of wide passes behind the 3pt line.

Then he is my new best friend.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#8 » by pickIBL » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

AND1 Diaw is gonna be so pissed.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#9 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:32 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:

From booze, you mean?

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#10 » by pickIBL » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

From booze, you mean?

I suppose that's how he'll drown his sorrows of not being your bff anymore.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#11 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:43 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:

From booze, you mean?

I suppose that's how he'll drown his sorrows of not being your bff anymore.

As well he should. I'm a peach. :D

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,018

Post#12 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 pm

pickIBL wrote:To play inside-out you need bigs that see the floor well and pass out.

This is exactly what I thought when I read the OP.

This team would look better with a higher IQ big man. The Jazz have that stashed.

Ultimately Tomic is a bargain at the MLE. The Jazz will need to decide between Kanter and Gobert.

Not sure Tomic wants to come over the NBA. Even if he does, this assumes that Favors can effectively play PF and play with either Gobert or Tomic. I think that the Jazz need to figure out, for several reasons, if Favors and Gobert can coexist on the floor. If it looks promising, then Favors can work on extending out his shot from 16 feet to over 20 feet this next summer.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#13 » by pickIBL » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:48 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
pickIBL wrote:To play inside-out you need bigs that see the floor well and pass out.

This is exactly what I thought when I read the OP.

This team would look better with a higher IQ big man. The Jazz have that stashed.

Ultimately Tomic is a bargain at the MLE. The Jazz will need to decide between Kanter and Gobert.

Not sure Tomic wants to come over the NBA. Even if he does, this assumes that Favors can effectively play PF and play with either Gobert or Tomic. I think that the Jazz need to figure out, for several reasons, if Favors and Gobert can coexist on the floor. If it looks promising, then Favors can work on extending out his shot from 16 feet to over 20 feet this next summer.

He fits with the more offensive minded Tomic. Can it work with Gobert is the question...
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#14 » by Luigi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:16 pm

I have always believed in big man basketball. It's interesting to compare Usage % and Minutes Per Game. We do go through them pretty well when they are on the floor:
25.2 Kanter
23.9 Hayward
23.3 Favors
20.9 Burke
20.6 Burks
18.5 Booker
17.5 Hood
16.5 Novak
16.5 Clark
16.5 Exum
14.7 Gobert
09.9 Ingles
07.1 Evans

That's only the percent of possessions that they use while they are on the floor. (I don't know where to get straight up data on the number of possessions each uses.) So, maybe the point is we need to see Kanter and Favors in the floor more often. It's a very smooth distribution. Teams with star players usually go through them a lot more. (An extreme example: 2002 Lakers -- Shaq 31.8%, Kobe 30.4%)

Changes: Trey needs to take fewer possessions for himself. Exum needs to take more possessions for himself.

Minutes Per Game:
34.3 Hayward
33.7 Burks
32.3 Burke
30.7 Favors
24.1 Kanter
20.4 Booker
18.4 Exum
17.8 Ingles
15.8 Gobert
15.2 Hood
5.8 Clark
4.8 Novak
2.6 Evans

It seems like Burke needs to play less. Favors needs to bump up a minute or two. Kanter needs more minutes. And Exum needs more minutes.

But I do wonder. If we did give Kanter more minutes, and Trey fewer minutes and fewer possessions per minute...would the offense still work? Kanter is doing a lot of his damage against second string guys right now. And Trey, for all his faults, does have a steady experienced hand at the point. Hard to tell...
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#15 » by AK47MVP » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:23 pm

looking at per 36 numbers makes no sense when player can't even crack 30 minutes.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#16 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:26 pm

AK47MVP wrote:looking at per 36 numbers makes no sense when player can't even crack 30 minutes.

Actually, that's what this metric is for - to gauge and project performance of players who play less minutes... If they played 30+ minutes, that metric would have been redundant.

Also, it's not a stretch to use per 36 for a player who plays 20+ minutes. If you made the argument about a guy who plays 10 minutes or less, then you'd have a point.

JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#17 » by JazzMatt13 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:08 am

My Jazz Identity:

Kanter #1 scoring option. Favors only gets points by playing great defense on offense.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#18 » by Winglish » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:03 pm

Tomic would thrive here.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#19 » by JazzMatt13 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:36 am

Favors has an identity of being a good defense player with a mid range.

Right now Kanter is just this beast that only gets released as much as Godzilla or the Kraken. I know if he had 20% of our plays he would be a 20-10 guy, cause he heats up on defense if he is balling.

Favors will take much longer before he becomes an every day 20-10. He could pick and roll, and he can be deadly, but he reminds me of Dwight post-orlando. Just this hyped defense-man who never seems to get amped.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#20 » by zimpy27 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:59 am

Shots per 36 minutes:

Kanter 15
Hayward 13.9
Favors 13.6
Burke 13.0
Burks 11.8

Randolph 15
Gasol 14.3
Conley 14.1
Lee 9.8
Allen 9.5

Horford 14.2
Millsap 14.1
Teague 14.1
Carroll 9.2
Korver 8.5

Just picked out 2 teams above 50% wins that have 2 talls as offense players.

Both teams have their 2 talls and PG taking ~50% more shots than their wings. Utah doesn't fit this at all.

Utah have all 5 starters taking shots within a range of 3.2 shots. No other team has that type of spread across 5 starters. If a team had that then they would bench two of those players. I think Snyder has recognised this and this is probably why he benches Hayward for Ingles so quickly.

What I'd like to see per 36 for starters:

Kanter 15
Favors 15
Hayward 15
Exum 8.6
Ingles 5.5

Burke, Burks and Booker off the bench getting 10+ attempts.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to Utah Jazz