Official Utah Jazz Trade Ideas Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Amish Mafioso
Banned User
And1: 1,004

Re: Official Utah Jazz Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#21 » by Amish Mafioso » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:38 am

Underkanter wrote:Burke, Novak, Hood, and a future 1st for Rondo or Hayward for Rondo and 1st.
Underkanter wrote:I'll throw Rondos name in there, let's say Kanter, Novak, Hood, and a future 1st for Rondo.

WTF??? Why do you hate the Jazz?
Lava Rock Kid
Sixth Man
And1: 358

Post#22 » by Lava Rock Kid » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:01 am

Everyone is way overpaying for Rondo, Mavs gave up scraps.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#23 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:00 am

Lava Rock Kid wrote:Everyone is way overpaying for Rondo, Mavs gave up scraps.

Holy crap, the Mavs just got Rondo for almost NOTHING. I can't believe this deal just happened, the Mavs made out like bandits. I don't know what Ainge was thinking - years of trade rumors and this is what you get for one of the best PGs in the league?

Makes me think the Jazz could have got Rondo for Booker, Murry, Evans and Clark + a future 1st and a future 2nd. That's basically getting Rondo for a 1st and a 2nd, just like the Mavs just did.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Bone Daddy
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#24 » by Bone Daddy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:08 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Holy crap, the Mavs just got Rondo for almost NOTHING. I can't believe this deal just happened, the Mavs made out like bandits. I don't know what Ainge was thinking - years of trade rumors and this is what you get for one of the best PGs in the league?

Makes me think the Jazz could have got Rondo for Booker, Murry, Evans and Clark + a future 1st and a future 2nd. That's basically getting Rondo for a 1st and a 2nd, just like the Mavs just did.

This really stings. Jazz had so much better to offer than Mavs. Maybe they were afraid he wouldn't stay here after his contract, but still... I had no idea he could have been gotten so cheap :(
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#25 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:02 am

Bone Daddy wrote:This really stings. Jazz had so much better to offer than Mavs. Maybe they were afraid he wouldn't stay here after his contract, but still... I had no idea he could have been gotten so cheap :(

I'm not criticizing the Jazz though, just pointing out they had the assets to get it done if they wanted to. Like you said, Rondo might not want to stay with the Jazz, and he's with the Mavs now because he'll be willing to stay there long term.

I don't know if the Jazz would want to pay him a lot of money like the Mavs will (maybe a max deal?), and we also have Exum. But it always annoys me when star players are traded for cheap. It just goes to show that stars are there to be had, with the right timing and the right assets. If they wanted do, the Jazz had the assets to make this happen.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#26 » by pickIBL » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:58 am

The Jazz are retooling and Rondo doesn't fit. That's why he's not playing for the Jazz this year. Why would they max out rondo?
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#27 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:01 am

pickIBL wrote:The Jazz are retooling and Rondo doesn't fit. That's why he's not playing for the Jazz this year. Why would they max out rondo?

I said he doesn't fit due to the Jazz's current position, and because they have Exum. And that he probably wouldn't sign here long term anyway. By maxing out Rondo I was referring to the Mavs.

But how come Rubio fits long term and Rondo doesn't?

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#28 » by pickIBL » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:13 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Age mostly. Also injury history.

Also, this makes Koponen even more attainable.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#29 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:19 am

pickIBL wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

At 28 Rondo is not old just yet. Also didn't Rubio tear his ACL too?

EDIT - it also seems like Rubio misses on average about the same amount of games per season as Rubio. 14.3 vs 12.5, by my (possibly flawed count).

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#30 » by pickIBL » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:36 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

EDIT - it also seems like Rubio misses on average about the same amount of games per season than Rubio. 14.3 vs 12.5, by my (possibly flawed count).

For this team I'd rather roll with the 24 year old passing sensation.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#31 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:58 am

pickIBL wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:

EDIT - it also seems like Rubio misses on average about the same amount of games per season than Rubio. 14.3 vs 12.5, by my (possibly flawed count).

For this team I'd rather roll with the 24 year old passing sensation.

Not taking anything from Rubio, but Rondo's passing is pretty sensational too. He's also a walking triple-double with great defense. Bottom line is that they both equally fit or don't fit with the Jazz. Similar games, similar contracts, and similar injury history.

KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#32 » by KDBG » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:44 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Not taking anything from Rubio, but Rondo's passing is pretty sensational too. He's also a walking triple-double with great defense. Bottom line is that they both equally fit or don't fit with the Jazz. Similar games, similar contracts, and similar injury history.

I agree with this. But doesn't Exum fall into this same category of PG that Rubio and Rondo are in as well? Point guards like Jason Kidd who are known for their passing and defense?

This is why a trade for Rubio wouldn't make very much sense to me unless Exum was involved in the trade. Cause I don't see how Rubio and Exum play in the same backcourt. Unless we know that someone like Rubio would show that he can stay healthy, and can learn to have a reliable jumpshot, then trading Exum for him would be a extremely risky move on the Jazz's part.

The only way I'm down with giving up Exum is if it's for a surefire all-star. Rubio has that potential, but so does Exum. If Rubio can come back from his injury and put of 15 points, 10 assists, and average respectable shooting percentages then maybe I'll change my mind.

I won't lie, I was jealous of Minnesota when Rubio took the league by storm his rookie year. I thought he was one of the most exciting players in the league. But I've kinda soured on him since all of the injuries he's had and poor shooting numbers. But he is only 24, and he's playing the hardest and most complex position in the league. So there's room to improve for sure.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#33 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Would you guys give up Gobert for Barnes + Speights? Golden State needs a center to backup the injury-prone Bogut.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#34 » by StocktonShorts » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:42 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Mavs just decimated their bench and traded a point guard who can shoot for one who can't.

This is a high risk/high reward trade for them. I'm not at all convinced it's going to work. Rondo hasn't been "Good Rondo" for 3-4 years.

In any case, it's going to be fun to watch.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#35 » by StocktonShorts » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:44 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Would you guys give up Gobert for Barnes + Speights? Golden State needs a center to backup the injury-prone Bogut.

I wouldn't. Gobert has DPOY potential and Barnes plays the same position as Hayward.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#36 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:29 am

StocktonShorts wrote:Mavs just decimated their bench and traded a point guard who can shoot for one who can't.

This is a high risk/high reward trade for them. I'm not at all convinced it's going to work. Rondo hasn't been "Good Rondo" for 3-4 years.

In any case, it's going to be fun to watch.

All of the players they gave up are replaceable. Two energy guys and a backup PG, and they already have two more backup PGs. Not much of a risk.

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#37 » by pickIBL » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Dallas had to make that trade. But I agree about the comment on "good" rondo and that's the difference between Rondo and Rubio. Age matters and while the Jazz are in their prime years Rondo could be sliding down the hill. Even Lebron at 30 has lost hops. So even 4 or 5 years of age difference means a lot. It's the different of an open window and some deep runs with Favors, Hayward, etc.

Now Milos is a little older than the core, but at least he's not a maxed out guy. I see the difference between a stop gap talent and a maxed out guy.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#38 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:28 pm

Is Rondo expected to get Alzheimer's disease in the next 3-4 years and forget how to pass? His main selling points don't have much to do with athleticism. It's about passing, decision making and running an offense. And he'll always have those freakishly huge arms.

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#39 » by pickIBL » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:44 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Is Rondo expected to get Alzheimer's disease in the next 3-4 years and forget how to pass? His main selling points don't have much to do with athleticism. It's about passing, decision making and running an offense. And he'll always have those freakishly huge arms.

The biggest drawback to me is the contract he'll command. Pre injury with less miles he fits the Jazz. At 32 I have no idea where he'll be. Tinsley still has great vision. He just got his eyes checked at the dot. No restrictions on his license I hear. :lol:
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#40 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:06 pm

pickIBL wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Is Rondo expected to get Alzheimer's disease in the next 3-4 years and forget how to pass? His main selling points don't have much to do with athleticism. It's about passing, decision making and running an offense. And he'll always have those freakishly huge arms.

The biggest drawback to me is the contract he'll command. Pre injury with less miles he fits the Jazz. At 32 I have no idea where he'll be. Tinsley still has great vision. He just got his eyes checked at the dot. No restrictions on his license I hear. :lol:

At 32 he'll be at the end of his contract with the Jazz, so if he falls off a cliff, you don't give him another one. Either way, this whole discussion is moot, since neither Rondo or Rubio (both are likely to have similar contracts by this time next season) are right for the current Jazz for the same reasons.

Return to Utah Jazz