Is anyone still worried about Exum?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

bucephalus
Junior
And1: 51

Re: Is anyone still worried about Exum? 

Post#21 » by bucephalus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:15 pm

I think a lot of his struggles of late have to do with the fact that his body isn't used to playing so many games in such a short amount of time; he's clearly exhausted. I'm not worried yet that he is 100% going to turn into a bust, but given how high he was picked in the draft I think you have be a little worried. If he was picked something like 15, like Antetokounmpo in 2013, I probably wouldn't be as worried because there wouldn't be as high of expectations.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#22 » by MHSL82 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:19 pm

bucephalus wrote:I think a lot of his struggles of late have to do with the fact that his body isn't used to playing so many games in such a short amount of time; he's clearly exhausted. I'm not worried yet that he is 100% going to turn into a bust, but given how high he was picked in the draft I think you have be a little worried. If he was picked something like 15, like Antetokounmpo in 2013, I probably wouldn't be as worried because there wouldn't be as high of expectations.

If we could have traded back to get him, of course, I'd have loved that, but if we didn't pick him because his value was lower, I'd hate that. But that's because I think he'll work out for this team, don't really care about where he was picked if it was having him vs. not having him. I understand the value of draft picks and I know there were others out there, but he was the guy I wanted and we got him. I wanted Burke to play well enough to give Exum time, though. And, of course, I wanted him to do better offensively and has disappointed in that aspect. But disappointed doesn't mean I want a different player. I could be wrong, obviously, but that's to be determined.
bucephalus
Junior

Post#23 » by bucephalus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:42 pm

MHSL82 wrote:
bucephalus wrote:I think a lot of his struggles of late have to do with the fact that his body isn't used to playing so many games in such a short amount of time; he's clearly exhausted. I'm not worried yet that he is 100% going to turn into a bust, but given how high he was picked in the draft I think you have be a little worried. If he was picked something like 15, like Antetokounmpo in 2013, I probably wouldn't be as worried because there wouldn't be as high of expectations.

If we could have traded back to get him, of course, I'd have loved that, but if we didn't pick him because his value was lower, I'd hate that. But that's because I think he'll work out for this team, don't really care about where he was picked if it was having him vs. not having him. I understand the value of draft picks and I know there were others out there, but he was the guy I wanted and we got him. I wanted Burke to play well enough to give Exum time, though. And, of course, I wanted him to do better offensively and has disappointed in that aspect. But disappointed doesn't mean I want a different player. I could be wrong, obviously, but that's to be determined.

Yeah, that probably wasn't a good example because Dante wouldn't have been on the board so late. I was happy with the pick when they made it, and I still think he can do great things in this league.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#24 » by sipclip » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:07 pm

For me it has less to do with where he was picked and more to do with the fact that guy hasn't shown any pg skills. We drafted this kid to be our pg and he has shown us nothing in that department.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#25 » by sipclip » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:15 pm

MHSL82 wrote:
sipclip wrote:
dautjazz wrote:This season he's had up and downs, but considering the transition he's had to make, I'm pretty ok with the results. Watching the game yesterday, I found it very interesting how he's got the least amount of FT attempts for someone playing like 1500+ minutes, or whatever the stat they mentioned. At one point Exum was 1/5 from the field, they were all three pointers. Exum has got to stop living behind the arc, and start attacking the rim more. I'm really hoping Burke continues to attack the basket as he has been lately. Wasn't Burke attacking the basket early his rookie season too, when we all loved him? Anyways, he's good defensively, that I'm not worried about, and offensively I think he needs the summer to work on his game. I want to see him work with Hayward for weight training and to work on his confidence. Stockton could help him learn how to see the floor like a PG and to shoot better too. Is Penny in decent shape? Penny would be an awesome mentor to teach him how to take advantage of his length. Anyways, I have faith in this kid, I just think he needs some time and lots of work in the summer.

This season he has not had ups and downs. He has pretty much had downs all season on the offensive end of the court. If he were having ups and downs this season people wouldn't be asking this question because it would be expected. The problem is that there aren't any real ups on the offensive end. It is either bad, really bad or good god that is bad.

Every rookie has ups and downs, it's just that Exum's ups haven't been that high offensively and the downs haven't been too low defensively, for a rookie.

Since I already did this in another thread, might as well use it again. It's not scientific or reliable, but he had some ups and a lot of consistent downs. I know, statistics don't matter much and he overall is down offensively, lacks aggression, etc., but he's had ups and downs there, too, just not noticeable or measurable, without stats at least.

First 12 (10/29 - 11/18): 18.8 MPG, 24-55 FGs (43.6%), 12-34 3-PT (35.3%), 12-21 2PT (57.1%), 10-17 FTs, 1.5 RPG, 2.7 APG, 0.5 SPG, 5.8 PPG.
Next 12 (11/21 - 12/14): 16.2 MPG, 13-39 FGs (33.3%), 6-21 3-PTs (28.6%), 7-18 2PT (38.9%), 2-5 FTs, 1.2 RPG, 1.3 APG, 0.3 SPG, 2.9 PPG.
Next 11 (12/16 - 01/05): 24.0 MPG, 29-71 FGs (40.8%), 15-43 3-PTs (34.9%), 14-28 2PT (50.0%), 4-5 FTs, 1.7 RPG, 1.6 APG, 0.7 SPG, 7.0 PPG.
Next 26 (01/07 - 03/06): 22.8 MPG, 34-120 FGs (28.6%), 22-72 3-PTs (30.6%), 12-48 2PT (25.0%), 3-4 FTs, 2.4RPG, 2.8 APG, 0.5 SPG, 4.1 PPG.
Next 5 (03/08 - 03/16): 31.6 MPG, 19-36 FGs (52.8%), 13-25 3-PTs (52.0%), 6-11 2-PTs (54.5%), 0-0 FTs, 2.6 RPG, 2.8 APG, 0.2 SPG, 10.2 PPG.
Last 8 (03/18 - 03/25): 21.4 MPG, 6-38 FGs (15.8%), 4-25 3-PTs (16.0%), 2-13 2PT (15.4%), 0-0 FTs, 1.6 RPG, 1.0 APG, 0.6 SPG, 2.0 PPG.

If he could have continued his 03/08 - 03/16 stretch or his 12/16 - 01/05 numbers, I'd have felt much better. Or at least finished out with his then-season averages, I wouldn't be as frustrated with it.

Those numbers just prove my point when it comes to him not having any ups. Guys like Zach Lavine and Elfrid Payton have had ups and downs. What we have seen from Exum are lows, lower and damn I didn't think it could get any lower.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by MHSL82 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:31 pm

sipclip wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:
sipclip wrote:
This season he has not had ups and downs. He has pretty much had downs all season on the offensive end of the court. If he were having ups and downs this season people wouldn't be asking this question because it would be expected. The problem is that there aren't any real ups on the offensive end. It is either bad, really bad or good god that is bad.

Every rookie has ups and downs, it's just that Exum's ups haven't been that high offensively and the downs haven't been too low defensively, for a rookie.

Since I already did this in another thread, might as well use it again. It's not scientific or reliable, but he had some ups and a lot of consistent downs. I know, statistics don't matter much and he overall is down offensively, lacks aggression, etc., but he's had ups and downs there, too, just not noticeable or measurable, without stats at least.

First 12 (10/29 - 11/18): 18.8 MPG, 24-55 FGs (43.6%), 12-34 3-PT (35.3%), 12-21 2PT (57.1%), 10-17 FTs, 1.5 RPG, 2.7 APG, 0.5 SPG, 5.8 PPG.
Next 12 (11/21 - 12/14): 16.2 MPG, 13-39 FGs (33.3%), 6-21 3-PTs (28.6%), 7-18 2PT (38.9%), 2-5 FTs, 1.2 RPG, 1.3 APG, 0.3 SPG, 2.9 PPG.
Next 11 (12/16 - 01/05): 24.0 MPG, 29-71 FGs (40.8%), 15-43 3-PTs (34.9%), 14-28 2PT (50.0%), 4-5 FTs, 1.7 RPG, 1.6 APG, 0.7 SPG, 7.0 PPG.
Next 26 (01/07 - 03/06): 22.8 MPG, 34-120 FGs (28.6%), 22-72 3-PTs (30.6%), 12-48 2PT (25.0%), 3-4 FTs, 2.4RPG, 2.8 APG, 0.5 SPG, 4.1 PPG.
Next 5 (03/08 - 03/16): 31.6 MPG, 19-36 FGs (52.8%), 13-25 3-PTs (52.0%), 6-11 2-PTs (54.5%), 0-0 FTs, 2.6 RPG, 2.8 APG, 0.2 SPG, 10.2 PPG.
Last 8 (03/18 - 03/25): 21.4 MPG, 6-38 FGs (15.8%), 4-25 3-PTs (16.0%), 2-13 2PT (15.4%), 0-0 FTs, 1.6 RPG, 1.0 APG, 0.6 SPG, 2.0 PPG.

If he could have continued his 03/08 - 03/16 stretch or his 12/16 - 01/05 numbers, I'd have felt much better. Or at least finished out with his then-season averages, I wouldn't be as frustrated with it.

Those numbers just prove my point when it comes to him not having any ups. Guys like Zach Lavine and Elfrid Payton have had ups and downs. What we have seen from Exum are lows, lower and damn I didn't think it could get any lower.

Nah, those are ups and downs, it's just the ups aren't very high at all and the lows offensively are really low. It's relatively speaking, I guess I make a distinction between ups and downs versus highs and lows. Highs implies a wow he's doing well or much better and then lows are regression. I'd say there's only ups and downs with the ups being lower than highs. Convoluted enough?
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#27 » by MHSL82 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:32 pm

If it were a pattern, his ups went from 5.8 to 7.0 to 10.2... so these next 8 should be 15.4. But for the downs, I don't know if you can score negative points. Just kidding.
BasketballKing3
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Re: Is anyone still worried about Exum? 

Post#28 » by BasketballKing3 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:33 pm

BudTugly wrote:No, not really.

If he doesn't show much of anything next year I'll frown some but really this guy has a free pass for 3 years. Project.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#29 » by Paper Face » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:05 pm

It's just amazing to me that Exum has showed literally nothing as far as PG skills. Zero lobs, zero court vision, zero shooting, and zero handle. Just zeros everywhere you look.

Even his baby mama's equate to zero. This nothing player isn't scoring anywhere.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
bucephalus
Junior

Post#30 » by bucephalus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:13 pm

Paper Face wrote:It's just amazing to me that Exum has showed literally nothing as far as PG skills. Zero lobs, zero court vision, zero shooting, and zero handle. Just zeros everywhere you look.

Even his baby mama's equate to zero. This nothing player isn't scoring anywhere.

Nothing is pretty harsh, and it also isn't true. Has he shown little? Yes. But he's thrown a few lobs to Gobert, made some nice pocket passes, even done a little bit of penetrating. He's not a great shooter, but it isn't zero (in my mind that means he makes less than 10% of his shots). I understand your position (you presumably think he's a bust), but you're misrepresenting it a little by saying he has done absolutely nothing on the offensive end.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#31 » by Paper Face » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:57 pm

bucephalus wrote:I understand your position (you presumably think he's a bust), but you're misrepresenting it a little by saying he has done absolutely nothing on the offensive end.

The purpose of my hyperbole is to wake all of you up to the fact that you are giving Exum a pass that he does not deserve. The excuses being offered are egregiously excruciating, to say the least.

I won't rest until you see the light of your folly.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by Paper Face » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Nothing, zilch, nada. His PG skills are absolute zero.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#33 » by AingesBurner » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:01 pm

Not so worried, he shows good court vision and good defense, I think he just needs to work hard this summer, he just needs to work with Stockton and we need to pick up a good vet PG.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#34 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:06 pm

KDBG wrote:I think frustration is the better word to use than worry. When you watch his old highlights, it's like a completely different guy. Not only was he not timid, but he may have been the most aggressive player on the court in most of the games he played in. Even in summer league, and the first several regular season games, he looked fine. But somewhere along the line something happened, whether it was one game or one play, who knows. He may have taken a huge hit, and created this mental block that he just can't shake off.

I remember 7 years ago my tire blew out on the freeway, and I literally thought I was going to die when my car spun out of control. For about the next 3 months I couldn't listen to music while driving cause I was so paranoid of running over something and always had to listen intently to make sure my tires were okay. Driving was a huge pain in the ass, and I just couldn't function properly. I think Dante coming into his 2nd season gaining a solid 10 pounds, and just knowing that he's not a rookie anymore should help a lot.

If Dante has a season next year like this one, than we can really start worrying. I don't think anyone really cares about his stats nearly as much as they care about his mental makeup.

I believe it was a preseason game (unfortunately, I can't recall which) where Exum drove to the rim and got fouled really hard, and landed awkwardly on the court. I remember his head literally bouncing off of the court and on replay you could see a look in his eyes that was a little scary, and clearly he had never been hit that hard before. I haven't seen him drive to the rim like that (or perhaps at all) since.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,017

Post#35 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:07 pm

Winglish wrote:YMy worry isn't about Exum, per se, as much as it is about the Jazz not being willing to acknowledge that Exum sucks and we get fed crap about his youth for four years, a la Kanter. In the meantime, the Jazz fail to bring in a point guard who will help the team compete because of some idiotic idea that it might somehow hinder a project's progress to get better in practice or in the D-league.

This is probably what I am most worried about too, coupled with the possibility he doesn't make the strides he needs to in order to be that franchise PG.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#36 » by KDBG » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:16 pm

Exum is raw as hell. A work in progress is an understatement. BUT, I would say that his ceiling is still higher than any PG in this coming draft. The combination of elite speed/quickness, size/length for position, and basketball IQ is very, very rare. The potential to have a smart 2-way PG is an exciting thought. You could count on one hand how many legit 2-way PGs exist in this league. If he ever reaches his ceiling, and I know that's a huge if, he will almost surely be a top 5 PG one day. So even though someone like me gets so pissed watching him play at times and want to give up on him, I think we've all got to put this into perspective a bit. Plus, we have one of the top coaches in the game when it comes to player development. This summer is going to be huge for him. I'm looking forward to watching this year's summer league more than most.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by MHSL82 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:16 pm

Paper Face wrote:
bucephalus wrote:I understand your position (you presumably think he's a bust), but you're misrepresenting it a little by saying he has done absolutely nothing on the offensive end.

The purpose of my hyperbole is to wake all of you up to the fact that you are giving Exum a pass that he does not deserve. The excuses being offered are egregiously excruciating, to say the least.

It's not a fact that people are giving Exum a pass that he does not deserve.

1. What is a pass?
2. What is deserved?
3. And who is all of us? To what scope has all of us done anything?

These are opinions with different definitions, perspectives, and parameters/scope and I can surely state that none of us have our opinions as fact.

You think he's a bust who will never get it. That's different than a lot of us saying he's disappointed and may someday get it, but may not. Giving him time is not a pass, when people have all been saying he has to be more aggressive. Is a pass merely not calling for his head, replacement? Because we have ALL stated how we want more intangibly and measurably. And that he hasn't done it yet. Even the progress we expect discounted by experience has not been stated to be met by anyone so far. Everyone has said that he's behind in many ways. You are not as alone as you think and not nearly as correct as speculative in your predictions.
bucephalus
Junior

Post#38 » by bucephalus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:35 pm

MHSL82 wrote:
Paper Face wrote:

It's not a fact that people are giving Exum a pass that he does not deserve.

1. What is a pass?
2. What is deserved?
3. And who is all of us? To what scope has all of us done anything?

I think that's a question philosophers have been trying to answer for years.
Wolverine
Rookie
And1: 109

Post#39 » by Wolverine » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:49 pm

TexJazz wrote:Well, he is going to have to have some kind of come Jesus meeting or visitation from the Aboriginal God or something to re-light the dormant fires within him, if there ever were any fires.

Very ignorant. Do your research
Lakersteve20
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#40 » by Lakersteve20 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:39 pm

Clarkson has been the steal of the draft. He's had some of his best games against the best PG's. Payton has been great too. Exum was a big mystery coming into the draft and it's not surprising he hasn't been good.

Return to Utah Jazz