Is anyone still worried about Exum?

MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Re: Is anyone still worried about Exum? 

Post#81 » by MHSL82 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:04 pm

yoyoboy wrote:As an outside fan, I just don't get it. Exum looked so impressive before the draft. It seemed like he had all the tools to succeed, so it's unbelievable to me how rough of a time he's having. Just looking at his numbers/advanced stats, he would really have to make one of the biggest turnarounds in league history to reach All Star level, but I'm really rooting for him and hope he does succeed.

Well, he has the age and coaching that a lot of those who failed to make such turn-around didn't have, Plus, his measurables, presumed work ethic with no off court issues known, and what you saw pre-draft is working for him, too.
ImChillin01
Banned User
And1: 424

Post#82 » by ImChillin01 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:08 am

Soph year should be decent year for him, more comfortable in his own skin and be more relaxed. HUGE OFFSEASON FOR DANTE EXUM
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#83 » by dautjazz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:22 pm

yoyoboy wrote:As an outside fan, I just don't get it. Exum looked so impressive before the draft. It seemed like he had all the tools to succeed, so it's unbelievable to me how rough of a time he's having. Just looking at his numbers/advanced stats, he would really have to make one of the biggest turnarounds in league history to reach All Star level, but I'm really rooting for him and hope he does succeed.

Exum turned 19 during the summer league, he's damn young. He's already a very good defender for a guard. On offense he started to improve his playmaking skills as a starter, especially the last 10 or so games. He also started the attack the basket a little at the end of the season. If you watch him, you know he just needs time to build his confidence, but you know the skills are there.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#84 » by BudTugly » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:49 pm

Worry about Dante's future as a player and worry about the Jazz's ability to win next year are two different things. The only problem with having a guy still learning the position is that there are 2 of them doing that.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#85 » by loserX » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:51 pm

Sure I'm worried...any prospect can bust. But am I *more* worried than I was at the beginning of the season? No.

Last year at this time, Dante was being guarded by Australian teenagers. Now he's being guarded by Chris Paul and Mike Conley. That's a BIG learning curve.

The kid has a long way to go on offence (and confidence) but let's not throw in the towel just yet. Give him some time.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#86 » by guille_4 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:21 am

Out of curiosity, what''s the lowest pick in this year's draft you would trade Exum for?
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#87 » by Catchall » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:33 am

guille_4 wrote:Out of curiosity, what''s the lowest pick in this year's draft you would trade Exum for?

If you ask me, maybe 3 or 4 this year. Exum will be elite defensively and a very good passer even if the rest of his game never really gels.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
guille_4
Sixth Man

Post#88 » by guille_4 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:47 pm

Catchall wrote:
guille_4 wrote:Out of curiosity, what''s the lowest pick in this year's draft you would trade Exum for?

If you ask me, maybe 3 or 4 this year. Exum will be elite defensively and a very good passer even if the rest of his game never really gels.

Wow, you're pretty higo on him compared with your fellow Jazz fans.

I was expecting something like #10 after reading this thread.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#89 » by sipclip » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:11 pm

guille_4 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

If there were other pg prospects that were worthy of a high pick in this draft then I think most people would consider moving Exum. The issue is that we have a huge hole at pg right now while the rest of our positions are pretty much set so it doesn't make a lot of sense to move Exum for anything other than another pg.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#90 » by MHSL82 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:11 pm

guille_4 wrote:
Catchall wrote:

We got him for #5, no way would I trade him for less than #4 (need to go up for developing him), but even then, I wouldn't trade him for less than 1-2 because I like and believe in him; we wasted #3 on Kanter, spent a #9 on Trey after trades, what's another #4 if Exum doesn't work out? Yes, I'm serious, let's gamble a bit. We have the coach, system, and surrounding pieces for it. Snyder doesn't need traditional PGs, though Exum needs to get better at PGing and Trey is expendable, though he was my favorite player his rookie year.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#91 » by BudTugly » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:35 pm

Well that's the trouble with project players. You don't know how good they really are and you can't trade them because their value is terrible until you find out. Thankfully our project guys are providing awesome defense.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#92 » by Hoops Addict » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:47 am

4,,,,,FOR Russell or Mudiyai
guille_4
Sixth Man

Post#93 » by guille_4 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:40 am

Then you're definitely believers.

You got him at #5, he has been disappointing in his first season and yet you would only trade him for a higher seed.

I guess it's mainly due to fit and the lack of PGs in the 5-12 range.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#94 » by Paper Face » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:03 pm

What's wrong with being a believer? His length and first step are still incredible for his position.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
Tommo1986
Freshman
And1: 16

Is anyone still worried about Exum? 

Post#95 » by Tommo1986 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:27 am

I would be worried if he was 21-22 but a19 year who showed what he was capable of doing I think he will be solid... Hope he works hard this offseason !!!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
BringtheD
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Post#96 » by BringtheD » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:57 am

i think exum did a little of everything that showed his potential. he showed he's a decent catch and shoot guy from all angles, he had some nice passes-dish and drives, some attacks at the rim, and his defense is already at an acceptable level, which i really like. he showed us he's a project, but he really tried to play within the system and he really didn't make as many plays as you'd hope for but I'm very pleased that he wasn't out there just chucking, he made less mistakes than you'd expect and while some can see that as him being passive, it was probably intentional, so he must be the type that thinks you learn better from your successes than mistakes, and he didn't make many mistakes, nothing to me that was shocking. i'm not worried about him, i think he's going about being a pro the right way.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,107

Post#97 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Seems like Jazz fans are pretty split on this one. I don't have a nervous bone in my body about Exum myself. I think he's all ready shown the ability to be a starting PG in the league just by virtue of his defense and 3pt shooting, but mostly because his team plays better with him out there. So, you are working from a pretty high base.

I suspect that he'll make significant improvements over the next 5 years. He may never be a John Wall, but, we don't really need him to be that, just an above average PG, and I project that confortably for him at this point.

And the upside is still there to be better than that.

I guess if you were counting on him being a superstar you should be worried. But, if you had more reasonable expectations you should be feeling pretty good with what you've seen so far.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#98 » by JazzMatt13 » Fri May 1, 2015 8:26 pm

I just barely, now worried about Exum, yesterday I wasn't but now I am.

What if.....project player can end up like any other project/pick, a kanter/dwill, or turn into a Millsap/Mathews.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#99 » by Hoops Addict » Fri May 1, 2015 9:29 pm

One thing most of us agree with is......we are not worried about his defense.

I am impressed with his defense.....he is not a weak sister who was abused. He is very fast and played great D....look for him to be an above average defender....maybe 4rd team all defense.
BringtheD
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Post#100 » by BringtheD » Sat May 2, 2015 8:34 pm

i forgot to add that we saw his teardrop, its something i look for in guards.

Return to Utah Jazz