2%

Total votes: 160

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Who do we keep next year? 

Post#21 » by stitches » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:25 pm

Here's Millsap's defensive shot chart:

There is only one other defensive shot chart from a perimeter player I've seen that comes close to this - Andre Roberson.
He's an absolute monster, but also fouls a lot. He's fouling 4.8 times per 36 mins. Good thing we won't need him to play 36 mins. I think he's the perfect situational player that would get in a game where we need to slow down a perimeter scorer.

I personally would love if we kept Millsap, Ingles and Booker. I honestly don't care much about Cooley, Jerret, Cotton, Evans(although I wouldn't mind keeping Evans as a 14-15th player on the roster). I know people are falling in love with Cotton, but I fail to become impressed by 1 dunk, some bad defense and semi-efficient scoring in several games in the end of the season where teams sat players. I wouldn't mind if we kept him as a 3d PG, but I don't have any strong feelings about his place on the roster.
HawaiianJazzFan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#22 » by HawaiianJazzFan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:48 am

I chose Jingles, Booker, and Millsap as well. Ingles and Booker from what we have heard are big chemistry guys in the locker room. Locke was saying after Booker's big game that everyone on the team loves him. Millsap, as stitches pointed out, is one of the best wing defenders in the NBA.
Vegasanalyst
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Vegasanalyst » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:56 am

Agree with Millsap, he has an elite skill (defense) and is also the only Jazz bench player to have a net positive real +/- ...with improvement on the corner 3 ideally he could get to be an average offensive player, and possibly an overall +3 rating. (poor mans Bruce Bowen)

Besides him all the reserves can go IMO. Even with Trey and Burks, have the Jazz bench rated 21st with current depth chart. (FWIW have the starters ranked 10th)

Seems like there is positive sentiment for Booker, Ingles, and Cotton. IMO the talent must be upgraded in these spots. Think those players are getting overrated by fans/media, because they are good guys and the Jazz did build some good chemistry after the ASB. The argument for Booker is he is a vocal leader, hard worker, tough guy, etc. The NBA is littered with these players, some cheaper than the price for Booker. Ingles is a nice story, but if he is playing decent minutes that's trouble. Again vocal leader, friend to Dante, etc. He did find his 3 point touch towards the end of the year, so wouldn't object keeping him for the right price for the leadership 8th spot or so on the bench. Cotton reminds me of a poor man's Nate Robinson type. Very fast, gets the highlights, but very inefficient. No interest there.

Oh and finally Trey, pretty much a replacement level player. I'd trade him for a meatball sandwich at this point. Even if the shot develops, I don't see how he'll be a positive defensive player with lack of size, best case scenario is an offensive spark plug off the bench ...if he ever finds his shot
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#24 » by Winglish » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:23 pm

Vegasanalyst wrote:
Oh and finally Trey, pretty much a replacement level player. I'd trade him for a meatball sandwich at this point.

I love meatball sandwiches. That's not even a bad trade if you're the guy getting the meatballs.
HawaiianJazzFan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#25 » by HawaiianJazzFan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:21 pm

Winglish wrote:
Vegasanalyst wrote:
Oh and finally Trey, pretty much a replacement level player. I'd trade him for a meatball sandwich at this point.

I love meatball sandwiches. That's not even a bad trade if you're the guy getting the meatballs.

I'd probably even trade him for a vegan meatball sandwich myself.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#26 » by laika » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:48 am

We should make an effort to keep Millsap, Booker, Evans and Johnson.

Here is how I would rank them-
Millsap- Great defender. Offense isn't good, but overall is a good role player.
Booker- Seems to fit decently on the team. Plays well in some lineups.
Evans- Good bench player. Should make an effort to resign.
Johnson- Not much of a sample size but has played well.
Ingles- Shooting much better later in season. Still not very good. Main value is as a security blanket for Exum.
Cotton- Young, but not that good. Would be temporary insurance if we traded away Burke.
Cooley/Jerett- Completely disposable.

Return to Utah Jazz