Yes but trade different stuff
6%

Total votes: 34

BringtheD
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Re: The case for Deron 

Post#141 » by BringtheD » Sun May 3, 2015 7:22 am

BudTugly wrote:You might try reading my OP. The only way to get Deron's contract to fit here is to move Burks. Burks doesn't have a lot of value right now either but probably will after the league sees what he can do next year. IOW, Burks has way more value to Jazz fans than to NBA execs. The base of the trade is Burke/Burks/filler for Deron.

IMO there is opportunity here to not only get Deron but maybe some minor asset(s) also. A 3 team trade probably make the most sense finding somebody (Hornets maybe) who would covet a young 2 who creates scoring opportunities.

So, what you don't get is how to gauge Deron's value? Well it's tricky. I'm projecting a future that very well could fall to pieces. Deron could very easily come to Utah, get hurt again or get mad again and ruin all my hopes and dreams. Right now he looks like trash to a lot of people. But fit matters and change can do wonders sometimes. Look at Boris.

Basically Deron's appeal is a risk/reward move that occupies all of the Jazz's cap flexibility and costs us Burks. I think it's worth it and can also see where people are coming from who disagree.

Avatar is a work in progress doe.

i'd rather use the cap space to offer d.green, draymond green, the guy who is playing at an insane level and is a better fit than deron? Without question? What do you think, Draymond isn't realistic, offer him the max, make deron plan b. therefore a better use of cap space, the use of our cap space. In the end, should we use that space up on a player with skills, Deron has skills, so he is valuable, but I don't think he is worth more than cap space. So, if plan A doesn't work for me, than Deron is a good plan B.
BringtheD
Sixth Man

Post#142 » by BringtheD » Sun May 3, 2015 7:24 am

i'd rather have booker than dwill to be honest. and dwill isn't worth burks, burk, and what else you propose.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#143 » by BudTugly » Sun May 3, 2015 7:33 am

BringtheD wrote:i'd rather have booker than dwill to be honest. and dwill isn't worth burks, burk, and what else you propose.

You're not alone. I might be. Anyways I'd be shocked if the Jazz did actually go get Deron. Doesn't seem to fit with what they say they're doing, although it could be spun that way. I did think there was a case to be made and didn't see anybody else making it so here we are.

This avatar does suck. Photobucket is failing me.
BringtheD
Sixth Man

Post#144 » by BringtheD » Sun May 3, 2015 7:39 am

BudTugly wrote:
BringtheD wrote:i'd rather have booker than dwill to be honest. and dwill isn't worth burks, burk, and what else you propose.

You're not alone. I might be. Anyways I'd be shocked if the Jazz did actually go get Deron. Doesn't seem to fit with what they say they're doing, although it could be spun that way. I did think there was a case to be made and didn't see anybody else making it so here we are.

This avatar does suck. Photobucket is failing me.

the reason I'd say booker over dwill is booker i a good glue guy right now, and he can work on his three, then he's a valuable player. I'd give him pretty good chances, so any deal that cuts booker, you have to really look at what you're giving up. in dwill, i don't see him as someone who can be that glue guy for us. but based on skills, i'd take dwill, he wouldn't ever be a leader in the locker room because he'd never take a charge for the team, it might end his career.
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#145 » by BudTugly » Sun May 3, 2015 7:50 am

You won't find many posters here who like Booker more than me but if he is a casualty of bringing in Deron I'm in. That's how high I am on him.

I won't wax on about why, I've already done so. Short version is court vision/ability to maneuver defenders + Favors = sickness.

The thing Deron does that I just don't see other NBA players do for the most part is so easily get defenders to go where he wants. He's kind of like a Pierce in a PGs body. Deron gets open as easily as anyone in the league. He did it all those games I watched, he continued in the playoffs. He just cannot crash the rim like before and, for now, isn't confident in his shot.

So what will happen if he comes here, and has the rebirth I envision, is unlock the potential of all the other players. That's why I want him. Not for Deron to score 22 points but for everybody else to see what it means to play within a system that rewards them for being where they are supposed to be.

I remember Harpring on TV talking about what it was like playing with Stockton. He said if you got open by the basket the ball would just magically appear in your hands. Deron's not Stockton but he's as good as anybody in the league at that kind of thing.
BringtheD
Sixth Man

Post#146 » by BringtheD » Sun May 3, 2015 6:23 pm

BudTugly wrote:You won't find many posters here who like Booker more than me but if he is a casualty of bringing in Deron I'm in. That's how high I am on him.

I won't wax on about why, I've already done so. Short version is court vision/ability to maneuver defenders + Favors = sickness.

The thing Deron does that I just don't see other NBA players do for the most part is so easily get defenders to go where he wants. He's kind of like a Pierce in a PGs body. Deron gets open as easily as anyone in the league. He did it all those games I watched, he continued in the playoffs. He just cannot crash the rim like before and, for now, isn't confident in his shot.

So what will happen if he comes here, and has the rebirth I envision, is unlock the potential of all the other players. That's why I want him. Not for Deron to score 22 points but for everybody else to see what it means to play within a system that rewards them for being where they are supposed to be.

I remember Harpring on TV talking about what it was like playing with Stockton. He said if you got open by the basket the ball would just magically appear in your hands. Deron's not Stockton but he's as good as anybody in the league at that kind of thing.

I remember Harpring said that about stockton and it's true, young pg's coming up need to consider how stockton played because he is the best, however, it's gotta be one of the best things harp ever said. UR right I think Dwill has some of that like you said, but I started laughing when you said rebirth. Deron is still going to be a headcase in the locker-room, the leader-guy who doesn't take a charge for the team. In no way, shape, or form, do I trade booker for that. The headcase thing is what I envision, what if he kills Snyder or something, he's done it at least once, kill a coach.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#147 » by BarneyGumble » Mon May 4, 2015 7:33 pm

Deron is done. He had 1 great playoff game and 5 crappy ones. That's not the kind of consistency you pay $43 million for. Not only this, he is a malcontent, which I could live with if his athleticism hadn't declined badly due to injuries. The fact is, he cannot penetrate and finish like he used to. He is a mediocre jump shooter with below-average defense at this point in his career. No thanks.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#148 » by Paper Face » Mon May 4, 2015 8:40 pm

The team's current chemistry is a valuable thing, and it does zero good to add D-Will's alpha/donna personality to that mix. Add in the history of the team's relationship with Williams, and we are talking about offering an outright insult to our current team captain.

None of the positives that would come with Williams outweigh the potential negatives. It is Legoland-level pretend to assume they would.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#149 » by BudTugly » Mon May 4, 2015 11:23 pm

I don't think this Jazz team has good on court chemistry. If they did the offense wouldn't have looked so awful.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#150 » by Paper Face » Tue May 5, 2015 12:38 am

Not talking about on-court chemistry. I'm talking about Mark Jacksonian-locker-room-cancroid-divide-and-conquer shenanigans.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#151 » by BudTugly » Tue May 5, 2015 1:10 am

Paper Face wrote:Not talking about on-court chemistry. I'm talking about Mark Jacksonian-locker-room-cancroid-divide-and-conquer shenanigans.

Wow. Okay then.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#152 » by JazzyPhinz » Wed May 6, 2015 7:56 pm

If Deron gets waived/stretched does this board change their minds?

https://fansided.com/2015/05/05/deron-williams-waive-nets-pros-cons/
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#153 » by outerspacefella » Wed May 6, 2015 8:09 pm

I don't think Deron Williams is the guy I want around our young players.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#154 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 6, 2015 9:24 pm

Tony Parker...
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#155 » by KqWIN » Wed May 6, 2015 10:23 pm

Can we all agree that Trey Burke not playing like garbage next year would be awesome? If only he could turn into an average shooter who runs the offense correctly.
HolyToledo12
Rookie
And1: 154

Post#156 » by HolyToledo12 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:47 am

Dwill let go then Jazz sign him thus allowing them to trade treyd, booker, Jazz #1, alec B., and expiring contract filler for Iggy and David Lee. GSW need him off the book to re-sign Green.

Jazz lineup

PG Dwill Exum Nieto
SG Iggy Hood Millsap
C Gobert Lee Pleiss
PF Favors Lee Jarrett
SF Hayward Hood Ingles

A true playoff contender and likely best defensive tea in NBA!!!
Play with the Pass, Play with a Purpose, and Play with Pace along with Obvious Unselfishness....Coach Snyder says the sky is purple than Jazz players say nice purple sky! LONG LIVE THE MAD SCIENTIST!!!!
Bullet
Junior
And1: 18

Post#157 » by Bullet » Mon May 11, 2015 8:37 am

HolyToledo12 wrote:Dwill let go then Jazz sign him thus allowing them to trade treyd, booker, Jazz #1, alec B., and expiring contract filler for Iggy and David Lee. GSW need him off the book to re-sign Green.

Jazz lineup

PG Dwill Exum Nieto
SG Iggy Hood Millsap
C Gobert Lee Pleiss
PF Favors Lee Jarrett
SF Hayward Hood Ingles

A true playoff contender and likely best defensive tea in NBA!!!

I'm not sure if Iggy/Lee is the best combo to spend money on, but I get your logic. The Jazz have more than 30M worth of salaries (Burke, Burks, non-guaranteed contracts, cap space) to move around this summer, plus our picks. That's more than enough to make improvements to the roster.

If D-Will gets bought out, and we sign him for cheap, we still have lots of money to tinker the line-up.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#158 » by BarneyGumble » Tue May 12, 2015 11:47 pm

BudTugly wrote:I don't think this Jazz team has good on court chemistry. If they did the offense wouldn't have looked so awful.

That's not the chemistry. That's the fact we had 7 rookies on our squad.
BudTugly
Veteran

Post#159 » by BudTugly » Wed May 13, 2015 12:38 am

BarneyGumble wrote:
BudTugly wrote:I don't think this Jazz team has good on court chemistry. If they did the offense wouldn't have looked so awful.

You're describing a cause, I'm describing a result. Obviously if Exum was fully developed and and accomplished floor general the team would execute better.

Or are you saying the team had good chemistry? It got better after curing Kancer but still was rough with a lack of shooting and passing from the bigs and diaper play from the PGs. I don't know that Favs and Rudy will ever be Mark/ZBo on offense but getting a real point would go a long ways.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#160 » by BarneyGumble » Tue May 19, 2015 12:25 am

BudTugly wrote:
BarneyGumble wrote:

You're describing a cause, I'm describing a result. Obviously if Exum was fully developed and and accomplished floor general the team would execute better.

Or are you saying the team had good chemistry? It got better after curing Kancer but still was rough with a lack of shooting and passing from the bigs and diaper play from the PGs. I don't know that Favs and Rudy will ever be Mark/ZBo on offense but getting a real point would go a long ways.

I think when you have 7 rookies on the team but manage to lead the league in defense after the all-star break and win not just a respectable amount of games but a ton of games (again, after all-star break) it has to be because of good coaching and good chemistry because we dont have Lebron or another super star on the team.

Return to Utah Jazz