Big changes
10%

Total votes: 31

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Stand pat or make a splash? 

Post#61 » by stitches » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:23 am

Ross is horrible, why would we want to pick him up? I honestly like both Hood and Burks better...

Ilyasova is not a bad stretch big option, not a huge fan of his defense and his contract ... but... I guess I wouldn't mind him on the Jazz.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#62 » by Dry Fly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:23 pm

I like the core of this team. All young and hungry and have gelled defensively. I roll with it with maybe a few tweaks. Vet PG but only if it is a no brainer move.

I want to give Trey one final chance. He really isn't that far off. His defense is much better, ball handling is great and he did start to make better shot selection at the end of the year. Give it till the trade deadline next year I think.

Another big? Maybe.

I keep Book unless something amazing presents itself. He is kind of like a young Sap. Rebounds great, incredible motor and has a few moves in the paint as well. He can hit the 3 too and this year was his first year of shooting 3's.... which is a good indication that he will improve.

I don't think you can replace that without spending 2X or more.

The thing about it for me is that this team was competing with the elite because of their defense. There is an incredible amount of room for improvement offensively with young guys who are capable but just lacking in experience? This is a dream scenario for us.

Roll with it, IMO. Don't mess with the chemistry for a marginal gain.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,717

Post#63 » by Nate505 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:18 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Wasn't talking about Ä°lyasova, just made a general statement about the over-importance fans give to Booker and\or players of his ilk and stature. Sure, their contribution is important, but is also very replaceable, regardless of trades for allstars as an upgrade. Again, not that hard to find energy guys. Every team has (at least) one, and there are plenty of players (usually the undersized\tweeners\less talented ones) who are happy to fill that role.

If they're very replaceable and easy to find, how come the Jazz lacked a guy like him for the past 2-3 years? Demarre Carroll was the last guy I remember to have that role, and the Jazz ended up being dumb for letting him go.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,717

Post#64 » by Nate505 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:21 pm

pickIBL wrote:Ilyasova is better than Booker. Oh the word intangible. And the word heart and soul. It's like when you ask if a girl is real pretty, and the response you get is that she has a great personality.

He's marginally better from a skill standpoint, at least right now. From an intangibles standpoint, it's not even close.

And thank you for bringing up the girl analogy. It fits perfectly. Looks are great for a one night stand, but with no other substance going out with her gets old/boring/irritating very quickly.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#65 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:52 pm

Nate505 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Wasn't talking about Ä°lyasova, just made a general statement about the over-importance fans give to Booker and\or players of his ilk and stature. Sure, their contribution is important, but is also very replaceable, regardless of trades for allstars as an upgrade. Again, not that hard to find energy guys. Every team has (at least) one, and there are plenty of players (usually the undersized\tweeners\less talented ones) who are happy to fill that role.

If they're very replaceable and easy to find, how come the Jazz lacked a guy like him for the past 2-3 years? Demarre Carroll was the last guy I remember to have that role, and the Jazz ended up being dumb for letting him go.

Bad GMing? Also, the Jazz didn't always need a hustle guy in his position, and got that hustle guy in another position. We had Carroll, then we had Marvin, who was dubbed "a vet that every team needs", and then we had Booker. No season without one. Before that, we had Watson and Matthews.

Btw, there was only one season between Carroll going out and Booker coming in (1 season of Marvin between them), so that 2-3 seasons timeframe you describe is inaccurate anyways. But I can relate - one season under Corbin's slow pace can seem like three normal seasons.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Stand pat or make a splash? 

Post#66 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:26 pm

I will vote with stand pat based only on my lack of insider knowledge and optimistic take on the current contracts. I am a habitual and oft disgraced homer but it seems we might finally have a break out player. Exum needs a big summer. We have time to trade Trey. If a breakout player can make Alec or Gordon good trade material so be it. I like the Army I have more than the Army I want, but it's Lindsay's job to be the detached calculating genius. Not me.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#67 » by pickIBL » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:13 am

Nate505 wrote:
pickIBL wrote:Ilyasova is better than Booker. Oh the word intangible. And the word heart and soul. It's like when you ask if a girl is real pretty, and the response you get is that she has a great personality.

He's marginally better from a skill standpoint, at least right now. From an intangibles standpoint, it's not even close.

And thank you for bringing up the girl analogy. It fits perfectly. Looks are great for a one night stand, but with no other substance going out with her gets old/boring/irritating very quickly.

Latinas are better in bed. checkmate.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Stand pat or make a splash? 

Post#68 » by DelaneyRudd » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:22 am

Not all Latinas.
Sadly.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#69 » by pickIBL » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:45 am

DanteSexum wrote:Not all Latinas.
Sadly.

Let me be specific. Colombianas. Ayyyy papi! Que Rico! jejeje

And also, just because she looks latina doesn't mean she's not a gringa. Double checkmate.

So in conclusion Ersan>booker
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#70 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:51 am

pickIBL wrote:
DanteSexum wrote:Not all Latinas.
Sadly.

Let me be specific. Colombianas. Ayyyy papi! Que Rico! jejeje

And also, just because she looks latina doesn't mean she's not a gringa. Double checkmate.

So in conclusion Ersan>booker

Can't argue with that logic.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#71 » by pickIBL » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:02 am

stitches wrote:Ross is horrible, why would we want to pick him up? I honestly like both Hood and Burks better...

Ilyasova is not a bad stretch big option, not a huge fan of his defense and his contract ... but... I guess I wouldn't mind him on the Jazz.

Ross is a cheap prospect to try and blend in. He doesn't need to pound the rock like Alec... which is good if you have Hayward plus a PG that needs the ball too. Ross is happy and consistent popping open 3s.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#72 » by JazzMatt13 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:03 am

If our back court problems can't be fixed, for lets say 2017 season/playoffs, then we consider big changes next summer. By then we will know our PG situation, and our bench. If we were really in playoffs, our bench better have some solid providers.

I think there is at least 5 Bigs in this draft who will be a role player+, Okafur, Towns, Turner, Stein, and Kaminsky/Porzingis one of the two. I want one of them to be benching behind Favors and Gobert, grooming them for succession, aka future replacements. Just like Favors was for Big Al. Everyone but Okafur and Towns is an option right now.

Why No Big Changes:
-Back court will be fixed this season. Alec Burks and Rodney Hood both taking up Wing time and SG will boost in performance, that gives us 3 solid guys who can do 2 and 3 easily, then we still got Millsap and Ingles, and potentially drafting another wing to replace one of those 2. That is 2 problems solved, Hood becoming a starting SG/6th man, and the return of Burks.

-We have enough bigs if we keep Booker, plus we still got Tomic and Pliess. I can live with Cooley as backup 4th, but I would prefer a rookie with potential to have those bench minutes, but I think Pliess is my favorite option.

-Are only real problem is point guard production. Exum is still a great project that is worth keeping, he meshed well this season. We already know this team functions better with him on it. His defense is what we want with facilitators like Hood and Hayward around, so the only spot we need filling is the bench Point Guard, and even in then, Burke could potentially have a growth spurt this year.

I honestly like 99% of this team, just bench issues. Exum and Burke will get this year to really work out kinks, Favors and Hayward can elevate their game to all-star readiness, and Gobert can become MVP, DPOTY and MIP. The only position I am not happy with is the back up Center, 3 solid bigs, but really need that 4th Center for Gobert's backup. Cooley just isn't gonna cut it on a playoff run, we need variety matchups. The only other thing to really look into is high fire power 2 to put with Burks awesomeness, so Hood and Hayward can be the facilitating 3's and lastly the 2nd/3rd string point guard better than Cotton, and would love someone better than Burke, or someone who brings variety, not tall and defensive, or short shooter, maybe mid-sized new-age true point.
DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

Post#73 » by DiscoLives4ever » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:04 pm

Having married a Colombiana a couple years ago, this thread has certainly taken an interesting turn..
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#74 » by sipclip » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:53 pm

pickIBL wrote:
stitches wrote:Ross is horrible, why would we want to pick him up? I honestly like both Hood and Burks better...

Ross is a cheap prospect to try and blend in. He doesn't need to pound the rock like Alec... which is good if you have Hayward plus a PG that needs the ball too. Ross is happy and consistent popping open 3s.

I really liked Ross coming out of Washington and still think he can be a solid player but on this team he would be our 4th wing behind Burks, Hayward and Hood. With that being the case I wouldn't be willing to move that many spots down in the draft to get him and the raptors pick. The drop off in talent between 12 and 20 in this draft is pretty big. I also really want to go after KJ McDaniels in free agency to be our 4th wing and I think he is a better player than Ross.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#75 » by pickIBL » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:42 am

sipclip wrote:
pickIBL wrote:

I really liked Ross coming out of Washington and still think he can be a solid player but on this team he would be our 4th wing behind Burks, Hayward and Hood.

Let the chips fall where they may. Alec is not suited to start and Hood has dealt with injuries. This whole NBA season has been the season of injuries. Plus that whole latina thing in the sack... Ross playing for a foreign team. Triple checkmate ;)
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#76 » by sipclip » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:53 am

I'm not sure why you believe Alec isn't suited to start. I think both Burks and Hood can really good starting sg's.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#77 » by pickIBL » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:05 am

sipclip wrote:I'm not sure why you believe Alec isn't suited to start. I think both Burks and Hood can really good starting sg's.

Alec's skill set is suited for the 6th man role.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#78 » by BudTugly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:26 am

pickIBL wrote:
sipclip wrote:I'm not sure why you believe Alec isn't suited to start. I think both Burks and Hood can really good starting sg's.

Alec's skill set is suited for the 6th man role.

Yup. He could be getting there though, they spent 4 years training him to play with others.
Vegasanalyst
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#79 » by Vegasanalyst » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:52 pm

I like Lindsey's approach, said along the lines of if the right deal/player is there then he'll be open to changes. So I'll just put down the wishlist.

Big Changes
George Hill - been a monster the last couple years, immediately turns jazz into playoff team

Small Changes
Cory Joseph - Great potential here, very solid player with possible room to grow. Makes the team better immediately and possibly down the line.
Patrick Patterson/ James Johnson - If Toronto starts gutting the team, either for Booker replacement, talent upgrade.
Draft Frank Kaminsky - Not sure if he'll even be any good, but fits the stretch big perfectly.

No Changes/ internal development
Rudy/Favors/Hayward/Hood - Very excited about the development, each seems to be headed in the right direction.
Dante - growth. Already showing signs of a potential strong defender. If he develops an offensive game, could get nasty.
Burks - IMO signed his deal based on potential. Has to buy in defensively, but the natural talent is there on offense. Think suited best as 6th man on the ball.
Millsap - Including him because of his elite defense, if he turns out to be just average offensively, that's a great find.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#80 » by Winglish » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:34 pm

Never been with a Columbian and it's too late now, so I can't relate to the comment, but I'll try. I like Booker and I think he's worth his current price tag. Given equal looks and romantic performance, I'd MUCH rather keep the woman who cooks and cleans without complaint and who is nice to me than be with one who nags or whines all the time. Booker is an easy keeper. You never know what you'll end up with if you think the grass is greener elsewhere.

Return to Utah Jazz