Building through the draft

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

magicship
Freshman
And1: 21

Building through the draft 

Post#1 » by magicship » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:27 am

Im a Magic fan but come in peace haha.. Just seems like the Jazz and Magic are in similar situations. I think the Jazz is a little a head in the re-build so I was just wondering how you feel about going this route? Do you guys see a light at the end of the tunnel? I personally love building through the draft if you are a small market and success is possible(OKC).
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: Building through the draft 

Post#2 » by pickIBL » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:36 am

magicship wrote:Im a Magic fan but come in peace haha.. Just seems like the Jazz and Magic are in similar situations. I think the Jazz is a little a head in the re-build so I was just wondering how you feel about going this route? Do you guys see a light at the end of the tunnel? I personally love building through the draft if you are a small market and success is possible(OKC).

I come in peace as well. You don't have Rudy Gobert. So for that reason I can't agree that the Magic are in a similar situation.

I do see light at the end of the tunnel if the Magic take Hezonja.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#3 » by stitches » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:58 am

The hardest part is finding an identity. Through Rudy and our front court we think we've found one and we are applying the finishing touches on the roster and waiting for our back court to catch up with our front court.

Although, I like a lot of your pieces I am not sure how they fit together, there is a certain chaos in the Magic. I would love Hezonja on your team and I think he actually fits well skill-wise, but I think you will go for yet another good guy with athleticism who cannot shoot and hope to mold him into a shooter(Winslow, WCS?). I hope I'm right, because I still have some hopes we will trade up for Hezonja at some point in the draft.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#4 » by pickIBL » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:53 am

Yes please botch the draft so the Jazz can get Hezonja or Porzingis. When it's all said and done Krispy Pringles might be looked back on as the top big.
stitches
RealGM

Post#5 » by stitches » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:03 am

pickIBL wrote:Yes please botch the draft so the Jazz can get Hezonja or Porzingis. When it's all said and done Krispy Pringles might be looked back on as the top big.

If there's a team we can rely on to pick a rabbit out of a hat, it's the Magic. They've had some unorthodox drafts lately. I can see both them and the Kings missing on Hezonja... and if he drops to 7 or 8... I'd throw the bank at Denver or Detroit.
magicship
Freshman

Post#6 » by magicship » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:23 am

If there's a team we can rely on to pick a rabbit out of a hat, it's the Magic. They've had some unorthodox drafts lately. I can see both them and the Kings missing on Hezonja... and if he drops to 7 or 8... I'd throw the bank at Denver or Detroit.

The majority seems to think they have drafted well. I'd take Payton over Exum all day. But yeah theres no way we draft Hezonja. He most likely ends up on the Nuggets.
stitches
RealGM

Post#7 » by stitches » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:41 am

magicship wrote:The majority seems to think they have drafted well. I'd take Payton over Exum all day. But yeah theres no way we draft Hezonja. He most likely ends up on the Nuggets.

I didn't mean you've drafted bad, but you've had some unexpected picks in the draft. About Exum... lets wait and see how he's doing in 2 years time.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#8 » by sipclip » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:39 pm

stitches wrote:
magicship wrote:The majority seems to think they have drafted well. I'd take Payton over Exum all day. But yeah theres no way we draft Hezonja. He most likely ends up on the Nuggets.

I didn't mean you've drafted bad, but you've had some unexpected picks in the draft. About Exum... lets wait and see how he's doing in 2 years time.

What do you mean by unexpected? Neither Oladipo, Gordon or Payton were unexpected picks.
stitches
RealGM

Post#9 » by stitches » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:43 pm

sipclip wrote:
stitches wrote:

What do you mean by unexpected? Neither Oladipo, Gordon or Payton were unexpected picks.

Gordon was a shocking pick. I think pretty much the whole world expected them to pick Exum... Then they traded two picks to move 2 spots up from 12 to 10 for Payton, I guess that was kind of expected when they chose to go PF with the first one...
Here's Orlando's fans reaction to the Gordon pick:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvA5AcstO8o[/youtube]
magicship
Freshman

Post#10 » by magicship » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:37 pm

stitches wrote:
sipclip wrote:
stitches wrote:I didn't mean you've drafted bad, but you've had some unexpected picks in the draft. About Exum... lets wait and see how he's doing in 2 years time.

Gordon was a shocking pick. I think pretty much the whole world expected them to pick Exum... Then they traded two picks to move 2 spots up from 12 to 10 for Payton, I guess that was kind of expected when they chose to go PF with the first one...

Yes Gordon was the only shocking pick. Every media outlet/mock draft had us taking Exum. It's mainly because Hennigan doesn't let out any information about who they are interested in. So yes, it is very possible the Magic take someone who has not been listed in any mock draft but I think the order would go Winsolw, Porzingis, WCS.
stitches
RealGM

Post#11 » by stitches » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:48 pm

magicship wrote:Yes Gordon was the only shocking pick. Every media outlet/mock draft had us taking Exum. It's mainly because Hennigan doesn't let out any information about who they are interested in. So yes, it is very possible the Magic take someone who has not been listed in any mock draft but I think the order would go Winsolw, Porzingis, WCS.

I like Porzingis, I don't know how he fits with Vucevic defensively... they both can shoot it from midrange, Porzingis can stretch it to the 3p line... It actually sounds really intriguing in offense, because you can have a reverse scheme where it would be the bigs who stretch the floor while that would open up space in the interior for drives and cuts from the guards and the wings... Really interesting indeed. Can be very exciting... Still don't know if that makes you any good defensively.

WCS and Winslow make very little sense to me, unless Winslow can actually shoot... WCS would improve your defense a lot, but I feel like offensively you will struggle with having only one reliable 3p shooter at this point.

I still think Hezonja makes the most sense. Payton-Oladipo-Hezonja-Gordon-Vucevic... that's an exciting lineup a couple of years down the road, if you ask me.
magicship
Freshman

Post#12 » by magicship » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:11 pm

WCS and Winslow make very little sense to me, unless Winslow can actually shoot... WCS would improve your defense a lot, but I feel like offensively you will struggle with having only one reliable 3p shooter at this point.

I still think Hezonja makes the most sense. Payton-Oladipo-Hezonja-Gordon-Vucevic... that's an exciting lineup a couple of years down the road, if you ask me.

Hezonja has a little bit of a hot head/head case attitude which can be a good or a bad thing. I like his athleticism/shooting but dont feel like he would mix well with our current guys. Winslow to me is the perfect fit with how we've been drafting and feel like he is the missing piece. We are drafting high motor/very athletic players and feel like with their work ethic can improve enough offensively. Its a similar approach to how OKC drafts. (Westbrook, Jackson, Ibaka, Adams) We don't have the talent they do but the principles in drafting have been the same.

The Jazz are in an interesting place in the draft to me. I don't see how trading up for Hezonja works with you already having Hayward. I guess he can play the 2 but both players are similar to me. I would try and get Booker, Turner, or Lyles if avaialbe. High character guys who have a ton of upside.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#13 » by sipclip » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:33 pm

stitches wrote:
sipclip wrote:
stitches wrote:I didn't mean you've drafted bad, but you've had some unexpected picks in the draft. About Exum... lets wait and see how he's doing in 2 years time.

I wouldn't exactly call Gordon a shocking pick. He was projected to go in the 4-6 range. It was expected that the magic would take Exum because they had a hole at pg but their gm obviously liked Payton quite a bit so he had a plan to get his pg a little later in the draft.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#14 » by KqWIN » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:23 pm

It may sound simple, but the only way to make this work is to draft the right players. Many franchises have tried to build to the draft but just take the wrong guys. We would be in a very bad spot if we didn't draft Gobert and Hood in the 20's or if Hayward and Favors don't make significant strides in their games. Unless you're drafting LeBron, every draft pick is a game of chance. Volume is good because not every pick is going to pan out. We haven't gotten good return on Kanter or Burke but it's ok because we've had so many more draft picks. At some point you're going to pick the wrong guy, you can't let that kill you.

One thing I think Orlando should try to avoid is signing guys like Maxiell, Gordon, and Frye. I think it's better to eat contracts with cap space than it is to sign role players. The win total doesn't matter when you're rebuilding. I feel like Orlando was needlessly skipping steps with those moves. Instead they should have looked to accumulate future assets and maximize playing time for their young players.
magicship
Freshman

Post#15 » by magicship » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:41 pm

I think everyone is forgetting that Orlando started their rebuild in the 2013 draft. I believe Utah drafted Hayward in the 2010 draft. Either way the point is that the Magic have only had 2 lottery picks that they have drafted. Utah has had 4. I say Orlando is behind in the process since they started a little later but are on the same track. We will add a 3rd lottery pick this year and then you can start to comparing the two. I do agree with some of the questionable signings they have made but for the most part they have played their young talent heavy minutes. (Vucevic, Harris, Oladipo, Payton)
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#16 » by BudTugly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:04 am

We drafted Gobert last year.

The key to any plan is to acquire somebody who is way better than most people think. If your players are all taking 5 years to develop you failed. But some do so, again, you have to know the future before the other GM does. What's nice about draft pics is teams know their own players better than anybody else does so they can sell them when they are garbage like we did with Kanter.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#17 » by pickIBL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:31 pm

Porzingis could go 3 to phila
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#18 » by AingesBurner » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:41 pm

pickIBL wrote:Porzingis could go 3 to phila

First Ill ask why with Saric and IF they do, Id offer them #12 and Burke for Saric.
Ingles is cooked.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#19 » by sipclip » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:05 pm

magicship wrote:I think everyone is forgetting that Orlando started their rebuild in the 2013 draft. I believe Utah drafted Hayward in the 2010 draft. Either way the point is that the Magic have only had 2 lottery picks that they have drafted. Utah has had 4. I say Orlando is behind in the process since they started a little later but are on the same track. We will add a 3rd lottery pick this year and then you can start to comparing the two. I do agree with some of the questionable signings they have made but for the most part they have played their young talent heavy minutes. (Vucevic, Harris, Oladipo, Payton)

Our rebuild actually started in 2013 as well. Unfortunately our front office couldn't make a decision on guys like Al Jefferson and Millsap before then so we were basically stuck in that middle ground for 2 seasons when we should have already been committed to rebuilding. In the end it all worked out because we lucked into guys like Gobert and Hood but if not for those guys this rebuild would not be looking very good.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#20 » by pickIBL » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:10 am

pickIBL wrote:Porzingis could go 3 to phila

Best available is their motto

Return to Utah Jazz