Re: Trey Lyles Thread 

Post#82 » by BringtheD » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:54 am

thanks for the link 4-1=trey
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#83 » by ColdBlooded » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:33 am

One thing you guys should know : He's not a SF. not even for a pinch.
Sam Hinkie crew.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#84 » by Winglish » Thu Jul 2, 2015 2:41 am

ColdBlooded wrote:One thing you guys should know : He's not a SF. not even for a pinch.

And he's NOT a stretch 4, either. That's the descriptor being bandied about that bugs me. His 14% three point percentage in college speaks a heckuva lot louder than one workout when he shot well.
Lyles is a power forward in the traditional sense.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#85 » by ColdBlooded » Thu Jul 2, 2015 2:48 am

Winglish wrote:
ColdBlooded wrote:One thing you guys should know : He's not a SF. not even for a pinch.

And he's NOT a stretch 4, either. That's the descriptor being bandied about that bugs me. His 14% three point percentage in college speaks a heckuva lot louder than one workout when he shot well.

Yeah, not a 3 point shooter now and i doubt he turns into one in the future. His ball comes out really flat.

Its gonna take a little mechanical changes + a TON of reps for a chance it happens. My eye test tells me the NBA 3-line will always be out of his range.

He's not a non-shooter, since he shows good accuracy + comfort at the midrange area.
Sam Hinkie crew.
Bullet
Junior
And1: 18

Post#86 » by Bullet » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:18 am

ColdBlooded wrote:
Winglish wrote:

Yeah, not a 3 point shooter now and i doubt he turns into one in the future. His ball comes out really flat.

Its gonna take a little mechanical changes + a TON of reps for a chance it happens. My eye test tells me the NBA 3-line will always be out of his range.

He's not a non-shooter, since he shows good accuracy + comfort at the midrange area.

I think his mechanics are good, from the film I've seen. Maybe a bit slow on the release, but nothing major that reps can't fix. But I'd have to agree that the stretch 4 tag is grossly misplaced.

On the plus side, adding a 3pt shot to his arsenal is waaay easier than developing handles/passing especially for his size. So he has some good base skills Quin and the coaching staff can start with. If Trevor Booker can improve in a year, I can't see why TL can't. And he's just 19.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#87 » by stitches » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:24 am

From what I've seen he has the same problem Alec has - tends to seek the dribble before pulling up instead of just catch and shooting...
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#88 » by Paper Face » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:38 pm

Not only that, I heard that he's a scientologist.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#89 » by Cappy_Smurf » Mon Nov 9, 2015 7:04 pm

zimpy27 wrote: Lyles will play PF for 19 mins. Lyles will get the 7th or 8th most minutes for the team.

Well, so much for that.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#90 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 9, 2015 7:57 pm

The idea of Trey Lyles is great, but he's two years away from being two years away. In the meantime we'll just have to watch him get rolled over inside and see more mid range pullups that never go in. Half the guys after 10 don't become significant rotation guys. I'm glass half empty on this one.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#91 » by BarneyGumble » Mon Nov 9, 2015 8:47 pm

Paper Face wrote:Not only that, I heard that he's a scientologist.

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,497

Post#92 » by zimpy27 » Mon Nov 9, 2015 10:00 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
zimpy27 wrote: Lyles will play PF for 19 mins. Lyles will get the 7th or 8th most minutes for the team.

Well, so much for that.

Yeah, he's definitely not getting minutes like that. Hayward is playing the 4 more.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#93 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:56 am

At least we finally answered the question of whether or not he fills a need: benchwarmer.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#94 » by stitches » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:30 am

It's striking how different the coaching staff is treating Lyles(barely playing) as opposed to Dante last year(virtually endless leash to make mistakes). I think the Jazz are in win-now mode already.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#95 » by sipclip » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:35 am

stitches wrote:It's striking how different the coaching staff is treating Lyles(barely playing) as opposed to Dante last year(virtually endless leash to make mistakes). I think the Jazz are in win-now mode already.

The situations are completely different. Lyles is stuck behind Favors and Booker while Exum was competing with Burke and we had a ton of injuries in the backcourt.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#96 » by sipclip » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:38 am

KqWIN wrote:The idea of Trey Lyles is great, but he's two years away from being two years away. In the meantime we'll just have to watch him get rolled over inside and see more mid range pullups that never go in. Half the guys after 10 don't become significant rotation guys. I'm glass half empty on this one.

Lyles is definitely not 2yrs away from being 2yrs away. By next season I expect him to be firmly in the big rotation and contributing significantly.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#97 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:13 am

stitches wrote:It's striking how different the coaching staff is treating Lyles(barely playing) as opposed to Dante last year(virtually endless leash to make mistakes). I think the Jazz are in win-now mode already.

That's my thought. I think DL and Jazz management probably thought they had two years left to gather assets and build the team before the start of last year and then things turned around quicker than anticipated, and now the fans have expectations so they feel pressure to get into playoffs.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#98 » by Tom349 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:57 am

Don't really understand what Quin's and the coaching staffs plan is for Lyles.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsUD2b6IM8A[/youtube]

You look at the way he's playing in the above video and compare to the role he is playing since he joined the senior members of the team, and the two styles are completely different. Now admittedly it was given he would take a backwards step once he finished up with the summer league hit outs, but even so surely if we're going to use him, we should use him to his strengths as much as possible? Otherwise we may as well as play Whithey if all we're asking him to do is rebound, defend and set screens.

Anyhow hopefully we see Lyles start putting the ball on the floor and making his own plays soon enough, if not send him to the D league and give him the keys to the team and have him run the offense.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#99 » by Stern Fixer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:51 am

Just catching up on this thread. It seems to me that Snyder can't make up his mind as far as winning now opposed to player development as it pertains to Trey Lyles. Either that, or to me at least, it seems that management has overestimated what Lyles can contribute as a backup 4/5. I was excited with what Whithey brought to the table in preseason in terms of backup rim protection, pick and rolls, rebounds etc., and he's all but disappeared to the inactive list. Lyles is primarily getting those minutes now with Pleiss behind him and I guess I just don't see the production between the two of them. Not saying Lyles doesn't have talent or potential but he's definitely a project at this stage IMO.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#100 » by Paper Face » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Meh. I'll worry about Lyles next year when another team gives Booker a raise.

He needs more strength if he is going to play in this league.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."

Return to Utah Jazz