Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Re: Trey Lyles Thread 

Post#161 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:02 am

KqWIN wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I guess that's where we disagree. I think Jack is terrible and has been terrible for some time now. He's the JJ Hickson of PG's.

Right now we have the Trey Burke of PG's. Is that any better?

Right now Trey Burke is playing well because Burks is doing the hard part for him, will it hold up? Probably not, but either way I'm not going to trade 23 year old Trey Burke for the 32 year old version of himself. How about going for a PG that isn't a complete ballstopper or one that attempts to play defense? Jack's empty stats don't impress me one bit.

Sure, I'm all for that. Open to suggestions.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#162 » by pickIBL » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:07 am

KqWIN wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I guess that's where we disagree. I think Jack is terrible and has been terrible for some time now. He's the JJ Hickson of PG's.

Right now we have the Trey Burke of PG's. Is that any better?

Right now Trey Burke is playing well because Burks is doing the hard part for him, will it hold up? Probably not, but either way I'm not going to trade 23 year old Trey Burke for the 32 year old version of himself. How about going for a PG that isn't a complete ballstopper or one that attempts to play defense? Jack's empty stats don't impress me one bit.

I never proposed as specific trade. The Nets are going to suck and dont have future assets. Jack has been serviceable on a dreadful team. He's not ideal, but he is a significant upgrade over the current group. And considering how the PG mess hampers the rest of the team, doing a trade could help the development of Rudy Gobert.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#163 » by No-Man » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:09 am

Again, its not like Jack is historically good at all, or the Jazz are going to compete for something with or without him.
Having Jack wont have an overall impact, the team is good enough to get to the PO and there is not a plausible trade to be able to become a contender this season, it is all about internal growth.
Rushing it by trading young players is downright stupid.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#164 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:16 am

Fischella wrote:Again, its not like Jack is historically good at all, or the Jazz are going to compete for something with or without him.
Having Jack wont have an overall impact, the team is good enough to get to the PO and there is not a plausible trade to be able to become a contender this season, it is all about internal growth.
Rushing it by trading young players is downright stupid.

Trading Lyles in order to get Jack is only one proposal. I think we can get Jack even without doing that. If you're saying that it is all about internal growth - I don't see Gobert showing any improvement over last season. A PG who could get him the ball and help him out a bit will go a long way in terms of growth and development, and our current PGs - both of whom are easily replaceable - are not doing that.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#165 » by BudTugly » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:46 am

I get trading for Jack. I don't get giving away a lottery pick for him. He's really not very good.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#166 » by pickIBL » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:35 am

BudTugly wrote:I get trading for Jack. I don't get giving away a lottery pick for him. He's really not very good.

neither is lyles. maybe he can develop into a role player. i will say being afraid to trade treyd burke is grasping at straws. There are way to many great PGs in the league. He'll never touch any of those guys.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#167 » by pickIBL » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:56 am

IM we need some graphic design work done with Rudy Gobert saying can somebody throw me the damn ball.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#168 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:20 am

pickIBL wrote:IM we need some graphic design work done with Rudy Gobert saying can somebody throw me the damn ball.

On it. As long as I can throw in the customary "bitches".

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#169 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:29 am

pickIBL wrote:IM we need some graphic design work done with Rudy Gobert saying can somebody throw me the damn ball.

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#170 » by pickIBL » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:32 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:

LOL nice. Maybe give Treyd Lyles a shot at the point.

Or IDK go get one to develop the best young center in basketball. :crazy: lol
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#171 » by pickIBL » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:38 am

If Gobert wanted to play with **** selfish PGs he's go back to his team in france that didn't get him the ball. Which is why I was mocked for calling him a lotto talent, and why he fell to the Jazz in the first place. So moral of the story, short dudes... do yo job!
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#172 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:43 am

pickIBL wrote:If Gobert wanted to play with **** selfish PGs he's go back to his team in france that didn't get him the ball. Which is why I was mocked for calling him a lotto talent, and why he fell to the Jazz in the first place. So moral of the story, short dudes... do yo job!

Before the draft he was playing with an injury that made him look really bad and nonathletic. That, and also no one really got to see him, with the possible exception of you. It was pretty obvious you draft a guy like that for his defense and not his offense, but those guys rarely pan out. At 27 he was great value and I was wrong about him, but I really hate watching players who don't have even one move on offense and all they can do is dunk when someone gives them the ball, and they can't even get to the dunk themselves. I like to watch skill. What I most objected to when people wanted him though, was that no one saw him play, and the reasoning for getting him was that he's really tall, and that nbadraft had him slotted in the lottery at the beginning of the year. Not good enough reasons for me.

pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#173 » by pickIBL » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:11 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
pickIBL wrote:If Gobert wanted to play with **** selfish PGs he's go back to his team in france that didn't get him the ball. Which is why I was mocked for calling him a lotto talent, and why he fell to the Jazz in the first place. So moral of the story, short dudes... do yo job!

Before the draft he was playing with an injury that made him look really bad and nonathletic. That, and also no one really got to see him, with the possible exception of you. It was pretty obvious you draft a guy like that for his defense and not his offense, but those guys rarely pan out. At 27 he was great value and I was wrong about him, but I really hate watching players who don't have even one move on offense and all they can do is dunk when someone gives them the ball, and they can't even get to the dunk themselves. I like to watch skill. What I most objected to when people wanted him though, was that no one saw him play, and the reasoning for getting him was that he's really tall, and that nbadraft had him slotted in the lottery at the beginning of the year. Not good enough reasons for me.

Never trust draft net. They scrubbed their forum after I embarrassed them about leaving Schroeder off the mock entirely until basically draft night.
jazzfanWA
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2018-2019
And1: 362

Post#174 » by jazzfanWA » Tue Dec 1, 2015 5:20 am

I will say this about Lyles. He watches the game intently and is always up and cheering on the team. Gobert had that quality.
millslapper
Senior
And1: 332

Post#175 » by millslapper » Tue Dec 1, 2015 3:50 pm

He had a great rebound today.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#176 » by babyjax13 » Tue Dec 1, 2015 7:19 pm

I don't see why trading for Jack would take a pick. Brooklyn would probably be happy if the return was Trey - and with the way he is spacing the floor - I think I'd rather role with what we have.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#177 » by Hoops Addict » Thu Dec 3, 2015 6:05 pm

What has been Lyles best game this year? How much did he score and rebound?
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#178 » by erudite23 » Thu Dec 3, 2015 6:59 pm

Are people really asking for Lyles to be traded?

I mean, I've never been crazy about the guy, but he has shown some good things and his value is unlikely to ever be lower than it is right now. I don't think we could even get a heavily protected 1st or a decent fringe starter for him. The value of keeping him and developing him far outweighs the prospect of trading him at the present time. Unless you really just think he's complete trash and will never amount to anything....which, I take it, is the general perception?
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#179 » by Dry Fly » Thu Dec 3, 2015 8:48 pm

erudite23 wrote: I take it, is the general perception?

I think the general perception with the manic game by game reactionary crowd would be yes. I think the general perception among the guys here who see a long term strategy in building a team is ambiguous at this point. The potential is there and whether Lyles can become that guy is up in the air.

After all it all comes down to shooting and driving with Lyles. His interior defense and rebounding will never be great but his ability to move and pass are there. This translates into hopefully a good perimeter defender and a facilitating big who can put the ball on the floor. If he becomes a knock down perimeter shooter then we are in business.

The laws of limiting returns put Lyles in a pretty good spot IMO with the emergence of a league focused on small ball and stretch 4's. He has length, he has movement and he has awareness. We have 2 awesome rim protectors and zero stretch 4's so Lyles is the guy who is going to make or break the contending for the championship IMO... at least as far as the bigs are concerned. He is much more suited for this position than Favors (although Fav is really pushing his perimeter D and shot to a high level) or Rudy or even Booker and Kanter.

The naysayers look at a young rookie with limited minutes and scream and yell but who gives a f*** what these guys say anyways? It should be interesting to see if Lyles starts to get confidence and rhythm with in this offense that basically runs the passing game with bigs on the perimeter. Rudy and Fav pose zero threat there. It stagnates the offense as they hold the ball and make a pass to a wing that is usually tightly contested and moves the ball into a position that isn't an improvement with the clock winding. Lyles can give you that threat hopefully and open things up a little and make the offense more fluid and much tougher to defend. With Rudy going down it's time to see if Lyles has what it takes.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#180 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Dec 4, 2015 5:14 am

Dry Fly wrote: Lyles is the guy who is going to make or break the contending for the championship IMO....

Lol. Thank god that's not true. Trey Lulz is simply the result of making the best of a bad draft spot. VERY low odds that particular pick ever pans out, but it's not like there were clearly better options. Utah finished a couple spots too low for where they needed to be in that draft. It's pretty funny how so many fans hated the pick at first, and then talked themselves into such ridiculous expectations, such as making Favors expendable and other silliness. I hated the pick and never changed my mind, but I still hope I end up being wrong. Just the same, pinning our championship hopes on a #12 pick, let alone this particular player, is as close to guaranteeing yourself disappointment as humanly possible. I think the player you must be thinking of is named Dante Exum.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"

Return to Utah Jazz