Trey Burke: Traded by Training Camp?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Is Trey Burke on the Roster for Training Camp?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 32

StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Trey Burke: Traded by Training Camp? 

Post#1 » by StocktonShorts » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:42 am

There were rumors the Jazz were shopping him on draft night. Will he still be here when training camp opens?
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Trey Burke: Traded by Training Camp? 

Post#2 » by KqWIN » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:50 am

I think he'll still be on the roster because there would be very little return through trade.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#3 » by stitches » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:05 am

I think he'll be on the roster. If they couldn't package him on draft night, I don't really see a way we can get anything of value on the trade market and at that point it's probably better to just keep him and hope he improves next season.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#4 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:10 am

Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#5 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:12 am

If Hanlan shows promise and makes the final roster and the Jazz think he and Cotton can hold the fort as backup PGs, I think the Jazz will move Alfonso (yes, with Alec and Lyles, he's now Alfonso).
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#6 » by KqWIN » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:22 am

The only way we trade him is he we trade him for a player another team has given up on. Mo Harkless is the only guy that comes to mind but Skiles might believe in him.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#7 » by BudTugly » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:26 am

stitches wrote:I think he'll be on the roster. If they couldn't package him on draft night, I don't really see a way we can get anything of value on the trade market and at that point it's probably better to just keep him and hope he improves next season.

Yup. Also classic conservative Jazz non-move. No way unless there is either a weirdly fascinated partner or if Trey gets aggressively awful for the locker room. Both of these seem close to not possible.

Really the guy isn't hurting the team and does have talent. I don't see any plus in trading him other than angry fans getting their pound of flesh.

I made my Kanter pound into excellent smoked sausage btw. Delicious. Goes great with Jalapeno jelly and crackers.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#8 » by Winglish » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:25 pm

BudTugly wrote:I made my Kanter pound into excellent smoked sausage btw. Delicious. Goes great with Jalapeno jelly and crackers.

I usually respect what you say, but in this case you are just wrong. If it does not complement peanut butter, it should NOT be made into jelly! And jalapenos do NOT complement peanut butter!
HolyToledo12
Rookie
And1: 154

Post#9 » by HolyToledo12 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:34 pm

Treyd has no value right now. If he improves this year, which I think he will, then he might be traded by the trade deadline. Trey has been forced to take more shots than any player in the NBA at the end of the shot clock which is a highly inefficient shot. The Jazz will likely take much more shots earlier in the shot clock getting Treyd up to 42-45 percent. Treyd is a valid back up PG. My problem with Treyd is not his shooting but the fact he doesnt push the ball whatsoever. Cotton, and prolly hanlan, are a much better PGs.

So I think we keep Treyd and Cotton and put Hanlan in Idaho then trade Treyd at deadline and bring up Hanlan.
Play with the Pass, Play with a Purpose, and Play with Pace along with Obvious Unselfishness....Coach Snyder says the sky is purple than Jazz players say nice purple sky! LONG LIVE THE MAD SCIENTIST!!!!
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#10 » by Dry Fly » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Winglish wrote:
BudTugly wrote:I made my Kanter pound into excellent smoked sausage btw. Delicious. Goes great with Jalapeno jelly and crackers.

I usually respect what you say, but in this case you are just wrong. If it does not complement peanut butter, it should NOT be made into jelly! And jalapenos do NOT complement peanut butter!

Peanut butter? Cream cheese and jalapeno on crackers.

As far as Treyd is concerned... I'm down for giving him another shot but if anyone values him and is willing to trade for him... take it.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#11 » by KqWIN » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I still can't figure out how Trey Burke turned out so bad. I get that he has physical limitations but he is awful at things that are unrelated to his size and athleticism. He has a terrible floor game and is abysmal at shooting wide open jumpers. I actually think he has some skills to make it work but he can't execute the most basic functions of the game.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#12 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:16 pm

BudTugly wrote:
Really the guy isn't hurting the team and does have talent.

You mean other than when he's chucking us out of games at the tune of 2-22 and such? That was fine with what we were doing last year, but won't fly this year. However, if you trade him now it won't be to get value, it will be to improve the team by replacing him with a non-chucker. Utah probably keeps him and hopes he goes on a hot streak to increase his value. Either way, his future in Utah is as a backup for limited minutes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved by the deadline.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#13 » by goober » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Should we trade Burke? Yes
Do we actually do it? No

It seems like to me, DL only makes trades he thinks at the time gets him maximum value. (ie Kanter fetching a future 1st round pick).

No one is going to give up value for Burke at this point and who knows, maybe after having a full offseason with Quin he gets better. Do I think that happens? Nope but it's certainly good to hope for the best
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#14 » by JazzMatt13 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:15 pm

I think we made a mistake. Tyus Jones and Delon Wright were in the 20's. They both could have replaced Trey Burke.

We could have traded Burke, and some 2nd round pick for a 20's pick. I was sure we would buy out a 2nd 1st rounder.

I feel this is the tail end of this group who will go to playoffs. However, I will say this, for the first time in forever, this actually feels like the "2nd year" of a rebuild. I feel we got the substance and are now drafting guys for deepness rather than drafting cause your desperate.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#15 » by BudTugly » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
BudTugly wrote:
Really the guy isn't hurting the team and does have talent.

You mean other than when he's chucking us out of games at the tune of 2-22 and such? That was fine with what we were doing last year, but won't fly this year. However, if you trade him now it won't be to get value, it will be to improve the team by replacing him with a non-chucker. Utah probably keeps him and hopes he goes on a hot streak to increase his value. Either way, his future in Utah is as a backup for limited minutes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved by the deadline.

Yea he could easily be traded. Definitely not a keeper to this point.

What I meant was Trey being around doesn't keep the Jazz from bringing in another player and giving that guy most of Trey's minutes. They can sit him if he's not better, play him if he is. I want to win as much as anybody but also believe in patience with young players. Just see how the first month or so plays out and go from there. He sucked last year for sure but to get better he doesn't have to dramatically change. Just make better decisions and push more.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,022

Post#16 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Watching the Hanlan videos, which are admittedly highlights, he is a much better passer in transition (not sure if anyone could be worse than Trey), better at driving to the rim, and is better at driving and dishing or kicking. His length will help him on defense, although I am not sure how good or bad Hanlan is at that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hanlan gives Burke a run for his money as the backup right off of the bat.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#17 » by JazzMatt13 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:57 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Watching the Hanlan videos, which are admittedly highlights, he is a much better passer in transition (not sure if anyone could be worse than Trey), better at driving to the rim, and is better at driving and dishing or kicking. His length will help him on defense, although I am not sure how good or bad Hanlan is at that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Hanlan gives Burke a run for his money as the backup right off of the bat.

I don't know, it seems like rookies hit a wall when they come to NBA. I mean Trey Burke had fluidity and could play fast. Now he is just slow and thinks too much.

So all these guys who can easily replace him, they are so much more hungry and do a better job, they just don't have as good as skills as him. When we get the right combination, Burke will be gone or steps his game up.
BringtheD
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Post#18 » by BringtheD » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:31 am

my prediction is that hanlan isn't going to beat out burke for minutes. i like cotton as our backup pg, and the alfonso-those two are about equal to me, but i give the edge to cotton because of the pace he plays at. burke is one of those scorers that would be nice to bring off the back of the bench, when you are desperate for a spark. if hanlan is like a hybrid of the two, improves the pace and distributes the ball like cotton, and has the capacity for hero ball like burk, then it looks like he becomes the back up point-but he has to have the capacity to do both...idk, i like having the extremes at the backup pg, and burke is pretty good at his hero ball so its hard to beat him at that, cotton is good at playing with pace, and that will be hard to beat to.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#19 » by CAE15 » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:38 am

What is the love affair people have with Cotton? He played decent for a 4 game stretch...I think Trey is the backup and Hanlan will be the 3rd. Cotton to me is 4th or possibly 5th depending on Neto.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#20 » by JazzyPhinz » Wed Jul 1, 2015 6:26 pm

Cotton is too small for my liking. He's pretty athletic and I like his pace but he's going to compete with Hanlan for #3 spot.
Trey will stay because of his guaranteed contract unless we can trade him.

Exum, Burke, Hanlan/Cotton.

Return to Utah Jazz