Exum's injury and ripple effects on the team

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Re: Exum's injury and ripple effects on the team 

Post#21 » by Winglish » Fri Aug 7, 2015 4:40 am

stitches wrote:People underestimate Neto. Yes, he's not a great shooter but his creativity, passing and distribution are elite. There probably aren't 5 PGs in the league that are more creative as passers than Neto and he's probably going to benefit from playing with better talent around him more than most PGs. He's also very quick and is extremely pesky defender. He might not have the length of Dante but he's useful defender in other ways(I think he's clearcut better defender than both Cotton and Burke). I see what Lowe and Elhassan mean when they say he will probably be starting by the end of the year. I am not sure it will happen, but I think there is a chance it will happen.

I usually agree with every word you write. In this instance I disagree, though my chances to watch Neto have been limited. What I see is a weak outside shooter who is too small and frail to really defend anyone. Pesky...okay, he plays with energy. Neto does have good court vision, no doubt about it. I just don't think he brings enough to the table to be very good. I HOPE he proves me wrong! Sincerely.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#22 » by stitches » Fri Aug 7, 2015 4:57 am

Winglish wrote:
stitches wrote:People underestimate Neto. Yes, he's not a great shooter but his creativity, passing and distribution are elite. There probably aren't 5 PGs in the league that are more creative as passers than Neto and he's probably going to benefit from playing with better talent around him more than most PGs. He's also very quick and is extremely pesky defender. He might not have the length of Dante but he's useful defender in other ways(I think he's clearcut better defender than both Cotton and Burke). I see what Lowe and Elhassan mean when they say he will probably be starting by the end of the year. I am not sure it will happen, but I think there is a chance it will happen.

I usually agree with every word you write. In this instance I disagree, though my chances to watch Neto have been limited. What I see is a weak outside shooter who is too small and frail to really defend anyone. Pesky...okay, he plays with energy. Neto does have good court vision, no doubt about it. I just don't think he brings enough to the table to be very good. I HOPE he proves me wrong! Sincerely.

Oh don't get me wrong - I don't think he's the next incarnation of Stockton or anything of that sort, and I don't think he is a good option for a long-term starter, but in this glut of mediocrity we have at the PG spot, I think there is a chance he simply rises above all other horrible options and solidifies himself as the best of them. I don't know what that would mean about his long-term future with the Jazz, but I think he can be useful backup in the league.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#23 » by Dry Fly » Fri Aug 7, 2015 5:02 am

BudTugly wrote:I might be the only Jazz fan that sees talent in Trey Burke.

Defensively he will always be a liability but with the slightest of discipline his offensive game could improve drastically. I just think the guys ego doesn't fit. Good for the clutch but bad for the other 47 minutes.
reflectiveself
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#24 » by reflectiveself » Fri Aug 7, 2015 5:52 am

so here is an idea. I looked at this before. but Alec Burks as our starting point guard. I think he can do it.. when he came into the league he did some work with Stocton, here is the link.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1832551-utah-jazz-ought-to-start-alec-burks-at-point-guard-alongside-gordon-hayward

so here is what I think, I may be totally off the mark. but out of the guards we have left. I think neto, and cotton are the best playmakers.. but both of them are an the small size and will be a defensive issue. We have Alec, who I recall prior to exum the year before we drafted him he played some point guard. and was not bad. he has the size and defense and he can score. Plus before exum we also used hayward as a point forward. the team is built around passing so I am sure we could just play a bit of position less guard situation and let alec and hood handle the guard position with neto/cotton/trey filling in.

so what do you think?
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#25 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:06 am

BudTugly wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:I think Utah rolls with Trey and hopes that he either breaks out or somebody else becomes available before the deadline.

I thought so too but somebody posted on the other thread that Quinn is pushing for some tall PG I hadn't heard of.

I might be the only Jazz fan that sees talent in Trey Burke.

I think Trey would have been moved by now if he had any trade value. Think about last year and our efforts to raise Kanter's trade value by continuing to start him over Rudy, and then the decision to start Exum over Trey when Exum was still so green. And now Utah goes out and pursues 15 point guards when we seemed already set. And now with Exum injured, seems like a perfect opportunity for Trey to raise his trade value, yet we seem interested in looking at more PGs. I honestly think Trey's future is either as a backup or he gets traded. My gut says he's traded by the deadline.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#26 » by KqWIN » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:44 am

If Trey could bring back anything he would already be gone. Shabazz Napier just went for a fake second rounder so I wouldn't expect Trey to yield much more than that. The Temple rumors are very telling. If Quin's first reaction is to push for Temple he obviously doesn't feel good about the PG's we already have.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#27 » by stitches » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:51 am

KqWIN wrote:If Trey could bring back anything he would already be gone. Shabazz Napier just went for a fake second rounder so I wouldn't expect Trey to yield much more than that. The Temple rumors are very telling. If Quin's first reaction is to push for Temple he obviously doesn't feel good about the PG's we already have.

I think if his choice is Temple specifically, it speaks more about him looking for versatility(different type of player(defensive, long) that we don't have now that Exum is injured). I think if they choose to they can find better pure PG than Temple, but they probably can't find one that's tall, long and good at defense. Hell even Kendall Marshall who is FA is better option if you are looking at more traditional PG.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#28 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 8:43 am

Another option no has mentioned is Millsap. Assuming he has been working on his 3 pointer, which I assume he has, then he could be a great person to play a Patrick Beverly type roll. Defend the PG, run to corner and let Hayward, Burks, and Hood handle the ball. I really really like Millsap personally and would love to see him step up and get more minutes and prove something.

If Millsap could do this and play even just 15 mins a game, yet start, it would allow Burke to maintain that sixth man roll he is better suited for and continue that insane defense the Jazz were maintains the second half of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#29 » by KqWIN » Fri Aug 7, 2015 8:52 am

Daddy 801 wrote:Another option no has mentioned is Millsap. Assuming he has been working on his 3 pointer, which I assume he has, then he could be a great person to play a Patrick Beverly type roll. Defend the PG, run to corner and let Hayward, Burks, and Hood handle the ball. I really really like Millsap personally and would love to see him step up and get more minutes and prove something.

If Millsap could do this and play even just 15 mins a game, yet start, it would allow Burke to maintain that sixth man roll he is better suited for and continue that insane defense the Jazz were maintains the second half of the year.

I actually mentioned that in the other thread. I like the idea of Millsap playing with better players around him. Minimizing his responsibilities will let him shine.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#30 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 9:38 am

KqWIN wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Another option no has mentioned is Millsap. Assuming he has been working on his 3 pointer, which I assume he has, then he could be a great person to play a Patrick Beverly type roll. Defend the PG, run to corner and let Hayward, Burks, and Hood handle the ball. I really really like Millsap personally and would love to see him step up and get more minutes and prove something.

I actually mentioned that in the other thread. I like the idea of Millsap playing with better players around him. Minimizing his responsibilities
will let him shine.

I didn't see you mention it or I would have quoted you. And I agree it makes sense for covering his weaknesses. Dantes numbers weren't all that great offensively last season. I believe it's entirely possible Millsap could emulate the same offensive numbers. People were expecting Dante to make a jump this year but at this point I'd just be happy if the PG position maintained what it was at the end of last season. Millsap I believe could do that.

And as others have said one of the ways in which Dante made an impact was by taking away possessions from Trey in the starting lineup. Millsap would do the same thing.

Millsap does get in foul trouble but that's why I said 15ish minutes a night. Basically just go out and annoy the hell out of the starting PG for the beginning of the first and third quarters.

Long term it's not a solution because we need someone who can distribute the ball and help with Favs and Goberts development. But I'm willing to bet a better deal could be had at the trade deadline for on of those higher quality PG's that might not be available now.

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#31 » by sipclip » Fri Aug 7, 2015 1:41 pm

KqWIN wrote:I was just spitballing names, I'll give my short opinion of them below. I'm willing to give up two firsts and Burke if it secures us playoffs for both years. I never factored Hayward's window before, but it's scaring the hell out of me now. Maybe I'm overreacting too much.

George Hill - Love him, always have. He is the ideal player. I'm not sure how attainable he is. Larry Bird is transitioning and I hope Hill is not part of it. I'd give up two late firsts for sure.

Jeff Teague - More of a spitball. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but if Shroeder emerges I think he could be attainable. Same contract as Hill.

Darren Collison - Love him as well. I think he's good enough to take us into the playoffs both years. Wouldn't give up two firsts for him. Contract is great.

Jrue Holliday - Injuries are very sketchy. I like his game when he's healthy, but I'd stay away unless he hits the bargain bin somehow. Would take us to the playoffs if healthy. Still young, good contract.

Ricky Rubio - Same as Holliday

Dennis Shroeder - Again, banking on a PG controversy that's not likely to happen. Quin loves him and Shroeder loves Quin. I loved him out of the draft, but he's still more hype than substance. Unsure if he takes us to the playoffs immediately.

Eric Bledsoe - Will cost too much, but it interests me. If Knight and Bledsoe don't play well together, I'd assume they'd pick Knight. The cost would hurt. Burks, Hood, or Lyles would have to go.

Some Euro guys to think about:

Tomas Satoransky (Rights Held by Wizards)
Milos Teodosic
Sergio Rodriguez
Petteri Koponen (Rights Held by Mavericks)
Marcelinho
Thomas Heurtel

I'd seriously consider throwing the house at one of the FA's if we're still under the floor next summer.

There is no way I give up 2 firsts for George HIll. The guy is 29 and just not that good of a pg. There are only 2 guards that I am willing to give up multiple 1sts for and that is Schroder and Jordan Clarkson. I love Clarkson's game and even though he isn't a pure pg he is a great fit for our team.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#32 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Aug 7, 2015 2:56 pm

Start Burks or Ingles at Point Guard, depending on the matchup for defensive purposes

Burks/Ingles
Hood
Hayward
Favs
Stifle Tower
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#33 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 4:20 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:Start Burks or Ingles at Point Guard, depending on the matchup for defensive purposes

Burks/Ingles
Hood
Hayward
Favs
Stifle Tower

I love jingles game. But with his slowness seems like he would get torched by the fast PG's of the league. At this point I say try everything so let's give it a shot. It's just I think his physical make up would make that an awfully hard defensive assignment.

StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#34 » by StocktonShorts » Fri Aug 7, 2015 4:21 pm

Does no one else here remember how poorly the Alec Burks PG experiment went before?

This isn't going to be a popular opinion with many here, but I would look to trade Burks for a guy like George Hill (though I'm not sure Indiana would do it).
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#35 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Aug 7, 2015 4:28 pm

The Alec at PG experiment didn't go well last time around, but that was with a bad coach, under a different system. He was mostly required - like other PGs under that system - to just dribble behind the 3pt line in the middle, and just wait there until he was required to make a wide pass to someone else who was coming off a screen in either side. That was a complete waste of his abilities, and didn't suit him at all. Obviously no one expects Alec to play like a classic PG, but I think under a different (better) coach and a different (better) system, it is worth it to at least give it another try and see how it goes.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
mkl2021
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#36 » by mkl2021 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 4:32 pm

Has anyone brought up Kendall Marshall? I believe he's still a free agent and might be worth a look as a rotation piece this year and for the future since he's only 24. He definitely has weaknesses but his passing and 3 point shooting are both pluses for the point guard position. If we were to go get him we would probably let Cotton go but between Marshall, Burke, and Neto we should be set next year.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#37 » by KqWIN » Fri Aug 7, 2015 5:19 pm

IIRC, Alec played fairly well at PG during the 12/13 season. It did not work well during the beginning of the 13/14 season, but to be fair, nothing worked well. The team was already terrible so you shouldn't expect them to be any different once Alec played a different position.

Like IM was saying, this is a much different system now and it allows for non traditional PG's to work. It's not an ideal situation, but I do think Alec has more to offer than Trey at the PG position. Trey is a shoot first, low efficiency PG who struggles on defense and cannot run the offense correctly. It's a low standard to meet.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#38 » by Paper Face » Fri Aug 7, 2015 6:30 pm

Let Cotton go for Kendall Marshall? No thanks.

Cotton could be like Ronnie Price with a better shot and better BBIQ.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#39 » by StocktonShorts » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:32 pm

Paper Face wrote:Let Cotton go for Kendall Marshall? No thanks.

Cotton could be like Ronnie Price with a better shot and better BBIQ.

So, still terrible?
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#40 » by sipclip » Fri Aug 7, 2015 7:39 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:Does no one else here remember how poorly the Alec Burks PG experiment went before?

This isn't going to be a popular opinion with many here, but I would look to trade Burks for a guy like George Hill (though I'm not sure Indiana would do it).

There is nothing comparable about the 2 situations.

Return to Utah Jazz