stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

SI's top 100 players: Hayward, Favors and Gobert in top 40 

Post#1 » by stitches » Tue Sep 1, 2015 5:33 pm

http://www.si.com/nba/top-100-nba-players-2016?page=3&devicetype=default

39. Rudy Gobert
Jazz | Center | Last year: —

It took just 37 games as a starter last season for Gobert to make an upstart case for Defensive Player of the Year. Utah just so happened to rank as the best defensive team in the league from the moment of Gobert’s promotion. The causality is transparent. According to a metric created by Nylon Calculus, no player saved more points at the rim in the regular season; Gobert was not only positioned well to contest a ton of opponent attempts but allowed a league-low 40.4% on those shots. No one in the NBA has yet figured out what to do with the 23-year-old eraser, who in two brief seasons has risen from prospect of intrigue to undeniable stalwart.

37. Derrick Favors
Jazz | Forward | Last year: 79

Grizzlies guard Mike Conley has been the NBA’s reigning “most underrated” player for two or three years now, a length of time that really should invalidate the title. So let’s nominate a new candidate: Derrick Favors. The Jazz big man fits this bill precisely for so many reasons. He plays in Utah, he’s a member of a young team that hasn’t turned the corner (but soon will), his teammates Gordon Hayward and Rudy Gobert hog the spotlight, his rise has been steady not meteoric, and he gets lost in the shuffle in a Western Conference that is stacked with future Hall of Famers and perennial All-Stars at his position.

31. Gordon Hayward
Jazz | Forward | Last year: 57

Gordon Hayward has blossomed into an efficient alpha scorer who is knocking on the door of All-Star status. Hayward, 25, has been a quality all-around playmaker for a few years now, but he has faced some major handicaps: he’s played on young teams, he’s been stuck without great point guards, he’s been asked to do too much, and he spent much of his early career playing for an uncreative offensive mind. However, coach Quin Snyder’s first season saw Utah improve from 25th to 15th in offensive efficiency. Hayward benefited from higher-quality looks, improved flow, more catch-and-shoot opportunities, and a new pick-and-roll finisher in Rudy Gobert. The Jazz were 6.6 points better offensively with Hayward on the court last season, as he helped compensate for a season-ending shoulder injury to Alec Burks and uninspiring contributions from Trey Burke.

We can always have a thing or two to quibble about with such a list(I would have liked to see Hayward higher, I can't fathom how Drummond is above Favors when Favors is better than him pretty much every facet of the game barring rebounding, Bledsoe ranked higher than Favors, etc.), but in general I think they've done a good job and have recognized our players improvement from last year. I have no doubt if we make the playoffs those players will be even higher next year.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: SI's top 100 players: Hayward, Favors and Gobert in top 40 

Post#2 » by KqWIN » Tue Sep 1, 2015 6:02 pm

There are players ahead of Jazz players that I disagree with, but I'm actually more surprised that all 3 are in the top 5 and none of them got completely shafted by the national media.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#3 » by KqWIN » Wed Sep 2, 2015 3:33 pm

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#4 » by stitches » Wed Sep 2, 2015 4:14 pm

The hype is strong with Green! Also LMAO @ LMA being no. 12. One of the most overrated players in the league. Dirk being no. 28 is another one that made me cringe a bit, but at least he's still an efficient offensive player.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#5 » by KqWIN » Wed Sep 2, 2015 4:33 pm

stitches wrote:The hype is strong with Green! Also LMAO @ LMA being no. 12. One of the most overrated players in the league. Dirk being no. 28 is another one that made me cringe a bit, but at least he's still an efficient offensive player.

Draymond is just proof that the whole is greater (or less) than the sum of it's parts. You can easily find 15 players that are more talented than him, but much it's harder to find 15 guys that are more effective than him. I like the way league is shifting. People are beginning to think teams as units instead of groups of individuals.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#6 » by Catchall » Thu Sep 3, 2015 1:49 am

The Jazz guys are all trending up and will continue to do so... The Jazz just need a solid guard and they're in business.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#7 » by BudTugly » Thu Sep 3, 2015 11:42 pm

Favors would be so much better with a real point.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#8 » by No-Man » Fri Sep 4, 2015 12:38 pm

Hayward and Gobert belong in the top30
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#9 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Sep 4, 2015 2:28 pm

I think a breakdown of players by position is more valuable. Hayward is somewhere in the 2-4 best SF in my opinion. And he is arguably the best point forward behind LeBron. Large gap between those two, but Hayward is disrespected because he is on the Jazz, and possibly/unfortunately because he is white. Hope that's not true, but it may be.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#10 » by sipclip » Fri Sep 4, 2015 4:06 pm

stitches wrote:The hype is strong with Green! Also LMAO @ LMA being no. 12. One of the most overrated players in the league. Dirk being no. 28 is another one that made me cringe a bit, but at least he's still an efficient offensive player.

Aldridge is definitely worthy of being number 12. He is a really good player and none of the guys behind him standout as being better players.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#11 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Sep 4, 2015 6:52 pm

sipclip wrote:

Aldridge is definitely worthy of being number 12. He is a really good player and none of the guys behind him standout as being better players.

There are many players behind Aldridge I would prefer to have. I also believe he is overvalued. But, to each his own. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can increase his production in the Spurs. It would seems obvious he can, but you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#12 » by KqWIN » Fri Sep 4, 2015 9:54 pm

Reddit, with a decent amount of lobbying, had Hayward as the 25th best player going into the 15-16.
JohnWall2
Junior
And1: 249

Post#13 » by JohnWall2 » Sat Sep 5, 2015 4:15 am

Thats 3 sick young players you guys have. All are solid foundation blocks and will continue to improve and more than deserve their rankings. Get yourself a top notch guard then the lineup is scary.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#14 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Sep 7, 2015 4:12 am

I don't think anyone remembers my report at end of season:

There were only 2 or 3 teams that have 3 guys as high up on "best of" ratings, I don't remember exact stats I used, but I am sure I used the PER and stuff.

Basically we had the best Front Court, Hayward, Favors and Gobert. But other 3 man combinations were better, Paul, Griffin and Jordan, then I think Gasol, Randolph, and Green.

There is no denying in the "Gobert" era, best team in league. In "Exum" era, we were a top 10 team. The pre Exum era, we were a dog team, bottom 5.

Return to Utah Jazz