Trade Ideas Thread (2015-2016 season)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Trade Ideas Thread (2015-2016 season) 

Post#1 » by StocktonShorts » Mon Nov 9, 2015 7:09 pm

As requested, here is the trade ideas thread for this season. We'll need to figure out when to stop this one and start the next one, but that's a problem for next summer.

Are there any trade ideas percolating out there right now?

I still think George Hill should be a target and I wouldn't mind trying to capitalize on Trey's apparent good start.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Re: Trade Ideas Thread (2015-2016 season) 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Nov 9, 2015 7:35 pm

Hill would be nice, but I wonder what it would take to make that happen. I don't know if the Pacers can replace him even if Trey is part of the exchange, so the only way we can get him is if they trade for another starter PG first or the decide to blow it up or we massively overpay.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#3 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 9, 2015 8:19 pm

George Hill is one of my favorite players in the league, but I don't think Indy is going to move him. They're playing better now and he's easily their second best player.

I do think we need a better third big, specifically one that can play both positions. Booker is fine for 10-15 minutes, but he's not reliable enough to be playing as many minutes as he has. Lyles is a complete train wreck right now and it's apparent that Quin does not trust Pleiss or Withey.

Boston has 27 PF"s, so that might be a place to look. I also like James Johnson, but he's more of a 3/4.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#4 » by sipclip » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:00 am

Again with this George Hill talk. The guy is a solid player but he is about to be on the wrong side of 30 and most of you guys are willing to give up Trey and 2 1sts for him which I consider to be crazy. I also don't view his contract to be asset that other people make it out to be because with 2yrs left that means he becomes a free agent at the age of 31 and will want his last big contract 4yr contract. That is not something I want to give to a 31yr old player when our core group of guys are still in there early to mid 20's. If we are going to give up any type of decent asset or assets for a player then they need to be in their early to mid 20's so that they can play with our core group of players for a long time.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#5 » by sipclip » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:12 am

KqWIN wrote:George Hill is one of my favorite players in the league, but I don't think Indy is going to move him. They're playing better now and he's easily their second best player.

I do think we need a better third big, specifically one that can play both positions. Booker is fine for 10-15 minutes, but he's not reliable enough to be playing as many minutes as he has. Lyles is a complete train wreck right now and it's apparent that Quin does not trust Pleiss or Withey.

Boston has 27 PF"s, so that might be a place to look. I also like James Johnson, but he's more of a 3/4.

I don't think we need to add a 3rd big that can play the 4 and 5 because Favors is more than capable of sliding over to the 5 spot. If we were to go after a 3rd big then Terrence Jones is the player that I would target. I love the way he fits with both Gobert and Favors and defensively he is really good. From the rockets perspective they may be willing to move him because he and Motiejunas will be restricted free agents. They also have 2 other good looking young bigs in Capela and Harrell. With him being a restricted free agent though and likely to cost a decent amount to re-sign I wouldn't be willing to give up more than a lottery protected 1st for him. The protection would have to be for 3 or 4yrs and if not given by then it would turn into 2 2nd rd picks. At that price I think he would be well worth the risk.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by StocktonShorts » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:56 pm

sipclip wrote:Again with this George Hill talk. The guy is a solid player but he is about to be on the wrong side of 30 and most of you guys are willing to give up Trey and 2 1sts for him which I consider to be crazy.

Where are the poll results saying most people would give up two firsts for him?

In any case, not all firsts are equal. I would trade the OKC "first" and the Golden State "first" and Trey Burke for him, because the expected value of those assets is not that high.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,976

Post#7 » by zimpy27 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:49 am

Trade Lyles for Schroder? Atlanta could do with a SF/PF tweener with a low salary to trade for Schroders low salary.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#8 » by sipclip » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:56 am

StocktonShorts wrote:
sipclip wrote:Again with this George Hill talk. The guy is a solid player but he is about to be on the wrong side of 30 and most of you guys are willing to give up Trey and 2 1sts for him which I consider to be crazy.

In any case, not all firsts are equal. I would trade the OKC "first" and the Golden State "first" and Trey Burke for him, because the expected value of those assets is not that high.

Good thing jazz management doesn't feel that way or we wouldn't have Hood or Gobert. In this day and age of the nba with the salary cap about to skyrocket those late picks are pure gold. You can snag a really good player at a dirt cheap price and more importantly you have the ability to control those players for 7+ seasons with restricted free agency. Those 2 firsts and Trey Burke for George Hill is terrible value for us.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#9 » by goober » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:05 pm

I hope the Grizzlies really start struggling so Mike Conley might be available
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by StocktonShorts » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:23 pm

sipclip wrote:
StocktonShorts wrote:

Good thing jazz management doesn't feel that way or we wouldn't have Hood or Gobert. In this day and age of the nba with the salary cap about to skyrocket those late picks are pure gold. You can snag a really good player at a dirt cheap price and more importantly you have the ability to control those players for 7+ seasons with restricted free agency. Those 2 firsts and Trey Burke for George Hill is terrible value for us.

That's why I specified "expected value". You can't honestly expect that the Jazz will be able to find a DPOY-caliber player at 27 every year, can you? I would guess that most guys drafted in the 26-30 range don't even get a second contract. Rudy is the exception, not the rule.

Furthermore, that OKC pick doesn't even look like it will ever be a first round pick. It's looking more and more likely that it will be OKC's 2020 2nd round pick and their 2021 2nd round pick.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#11 » by sipclip » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:13 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:
Furthermore, that OKC pick doesn't even look like it will ever be a first round pick. It's looking more and more likely that it will be OKC's 2020 2nd round pick and their 2021 2nd round pick.

How exactly is it looking more and more likely that we won't get a 1st from that thunder pick? It is lottery protected from 2018-2020. I would say there is a damn good chance that we get that pick in 2018 because I fully expect the thunder to continue being a playoff team over the next 3 seasons.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:29 am

sipclip wrote:
StocktonShorts wrote:

How exactly is it looking more and more likely that we won't get a 1st from that thunder pick? It is lottery protected from 2018-2020. I would say there is a damn good chance that we get that pick in 2018 because I fully expect the thunder to continue being a playoff team over the next 3 seasons.

Yes, of course. You're right. Not sure what I was thinking.

I still think it's not a crazy idea. You sell (relatively) high on Burke, before you have to commit any real money to him; you turn low-expectation assets into a piece that will help you win right now.

By the time Hill is off his contract you hope that Dante will be ready to play 32 minutes/night.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#13 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:26 am

Trey is very valuable if he continues his three point shooting. He has been excellent from what I've watched. No idea what his stats are, but he has passed my eye tests easily. Didn't expect to be writing this before the start of the season.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#14 » by Tom349 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:30 am

Would Evan Turner be a good fit on this team?
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#15 » by stitches » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:35 am

Tom349 wrote:Would Evan Turner be a good fit on this team?

I would say yes. How much would you pay him in order to pry him away?
Tom349
Rookie

Post#16 » by Tom349 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:43 am

stitches wrote:

Not entirely sure what Boston would be asking for? Definitely a player who divides opinion with some fans liking him and others flat out disliking him. Personally I don't think either the GSW and OKC picks have much value and would be happy to part with one of them if not both, whether they would accept that I'm not too sure.

Also wouldn't be opposed to picking up Jarred Sullinger especially if his best mate Burkes keeps up his current shooting percentages, although his weight problems are a slight turn off.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#17 » by KqWIN » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:43 am

stitches wrote:

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Chris Johnson than ET. He's a knucklehead and we're not short on wings who can do some playmaking.
stitches
RealGM

Post#18 » by stitches » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:46 am

Tom349 wrote:
stitches wrote:

Not entirely sure what Boston would be asking for? Definitely a player who divides opinion with some fans liking him and others flat out disliking him. Personally I don't think either the GSW and OKC picks have much value and would be happy to part with one of them if not both, whether they would accept that I'm not too sure.

Also wouldn't be opposed to picking up Jarred Sullinger especially if his best mate Burkes keeps up his current shooting percentages, although his weight problems are a slight turn off.

Oh damn... you were talking about Evan Turner!!! Wow! I misread it and thought you meant Fournier that's why I asked how much you'd pay to pry him away(because he's RFA in the summer).

HELL NO! I don't want us getting anywhere close to Evan Turner...
stitches
RealGM

Post#19 » by stitches » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:48 am

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Chris Johnson than ET. He's a knucklehead and we're not short on wings who can do some playmaking.

Yeah, that's because I can't read. I don't want Turner, I want Fournier.
Tom349
Rookie

Post#20 » by Tom349 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:48 am

KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:

Whilst I agree that we're not short on playmaking wings, given our insistence to play a three wing line up (strongest line up), I think it would be good idea to get another playmaking wing as it would allow us to play the three wing line up more.

Return to Utah Jazz