Game 10: Utah Jazz (4-5) @ Atlanta Hawks (8-3)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Game 10: Utah Jazz (4-5) @ Atlanta Hawks (8-3) 

Post#61 » by KqWIN » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:29 am

All in all, 5-5 is that bad considering that we've had two home games and two four game road trips. It seems way worse because we could easily have one 1-2 or more wins because we haven't been playing well. If Hayward starts playing well this team will be fine.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#62 » by Stern Fixer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:38 am

KqWIN wrote:All in all, 5-5 is that bad considering that we've had two home games and two four game road trips. It seems way worse because we could easily have one 1-2 or more wins because we haven't been playing well. If Hayward starts playing well this team will be fine.

I think we'll look back on this tough early schedule and think it was the best thing that could happen to this team. We're .500 and we're through the toughest stretch of the season - that's fantastic!!! True, Hayward has been disappointing, we expect big things from him, but still he's not hurt the team IMO. People aren't taking his D into account only his Offense. He always draws the toughest assignments and did a terrific job on both Paul George and Lebron. He'll be alright IMO.

What's more important to me is that Snyder has finally pulled his head out regarding Pleiss, Lyles and Withey. Pleiss is on the inactive list where he belongs (D League would be better) and Withey is finally out of the doghouse and in the game and getting Lyle's minutes (Lyle's didn't play, coaches' decision). I believe that Withey deserves to be in the rotation ahead of both Lyles and Pleiss. Truthfully I think both Pleiss and Lyles would benefit from some D League work.

Also point guard by committee seems to be working for us. Even though we don't have an elite point guard, Burke, Neto and Burks are getting the job done for us in patches. Oh, did I mention Faves? Best power forward in the league IMO. Stock and Malone who? Glory days are back, gotta love it baby.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#63 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:50 am

Again Hayward terrible shooting, nothing going in.

Favors is so beastly, and so is Gobert, 11-11-3 is bomb for a Center. 5 combined blocks ain't bad.

I'm really loving the Triple B Bench. Trend though, Burks is best of the BBB's, 18 points, 2 assists, 6 rebounds, and 2 steals.

But again my most favorite of all:

HOOD: (Dude is in 2nd year, not even a month into his starting):
8-17 FG with 4-9 3's.
3 assists and 1 steal, and 1 TO
20 points.

^This is what I expect from Hayward and Hood is giving it to us.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#64 » by Dry Fly » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:50 am

Well all I can say is that we just beat a very good veteran team on the road and haven't been playing all that well. Our defense is keeping us in games and all we need is one of a number of guys capable of stepping up and taking over a game. We could have won any of these 4 road games. I don't know what people are so negative about but I'm psyched. We haven't arrived or anything but man compared to the last few years this is great.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#65 » by stitches » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:29 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6eG6rRg-0[/youtube]
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#66 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:10 am

Dry Fly wrote:Well all I can say is that we just beat a very good veteran team on the road and haven't been playing all that well. Our defense is keeping us in games and all we need is one of a number of guys capable of stepping up and taking over a game. We could have won any of these 4 road games. I don't know what people are so negative about but I'm psyched. We haven't arrived or anything but man compared to the last few years this is great.

Blazers was only real blow out, which was a clean 16 points loss. That Orlando game, I feel had we held in, it would have been a tight within 5 game. Our Pistons game was also close. So only Magic and Blazers have beat us clean.

Also: WINS (older to newer)
+28
+21
+12
+10
+1

Losses:

5-5, were not losing by a ton, and were winning by large margins. Our problem, winning close games, which is why NBA.com, said "Is this a turning point for Jazz". Cause if were ahead, we win. If close, or against tough team, we can't seal the game. Sealing Hawks, even without Teague, was a ECF team, and just as tough as Spurs. We do this repeatedly, we got 8th spots for sure.

Our next 5 isn't too bad:
vs Raptors in 2 days
@Mavs 2 days later
vs Thunder 3 days later
@Clippers 2 days after
vs Pelicans 3 days later (Start of a 4 game home stand, each with 2 and 3 days between, with Pacers and Magic, plus Warriors)

^Were .500 right now, I say were still .500 by Pelicans, and feel we will +1 win above .500 after 4 game home stand.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#67 » by Stern Fixer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:40 am

^I think Rodney Hood has one of the most beautiful strokes I've ever seen. I laughingly told his dad that when I met him and Rodney's sister when they were down in Vegas for Summer camp this year. (Floor Supervisor in Vegas and when I read the name on the player's card, asked if he might be related to Rodney.) I also told him we felt real lucky to get him where we did (should have gone higher in the draft). Extremely nice, down to earth people that also took good care of the dealers. He said they loved the Jazz organization as well as the city and state. He also told me that Rodney's older brother lives with Rodney there and looks out for him. Last thing I said was that I expect him to hit 50% from three with that sweet stroke and he didn't seem to think it was outside of the realm of possibility.

Outside of Steph Curry, I honestly can't think of a better looking shot from range. I also love the fact that he's left handed, makes him a little harder to guard.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#68 » by dautjazz » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Remember when people were saying that Burks was a bad deal? With guys like Tristan Thompson making $16.4M and many guys who are barely average making over 10M a year, Burks seems to be a great deal. Very glad he came back even stronger after injury. Love our swingman rotation. Can't wait to see Hayward pick up his game too, he's off to such a slow start offensively.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#69 » by Stern Fixer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:19 pm

dautjazz wrote:Remember when people were saying that Burks was a bad deal? With guys like Tristan Thompson making $16.4M and many guys who are barely average making over 10M a year, Burks seems to be a great deal. Very glad he came back even stronger after injury. Love our swingman rotation. Can't wait to see Hayward pick up his game too, he's off to such a slow start offensively.

There was never a moment where I felt Burks was overpaid though I know there was some sentiment to that effect. In contrast, I've always felt that Hayward was since the day we matched Charlotte's offer sheet. Not that I dislike Hayward or his game, I just never felt like he was the best player on the team and deserved so much more money than everybody else. Six mil more a year than Burks and four and half more than Favors is just crazy if you're assessment is based on ability and performance. I do think that he was more important to the team from a marketing standpoint than as a player.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#70 » by dautjazz » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:27 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:
dautjazz wrote:Remember when people were saying that Burks was a bad deal? With guys like Tristan Thompson making $16.4M and many guys who are barely average making over 10M a year, Burks seems to be a great deal. Very glad he came back even stronger after injury. Love our swingman rotation. Can't wait to see Hayward pick up his game too, he's off to such a slow start offensively.

There was never a moment where I felt Burks was overpaid though I know there was some sentiment to that effect. In contrast, I've always felt that Hayward was since the day we matched Charlotte's offer sheet. Not that I dislike Hayward or his game, I just never felt like he was the best player on the team and deserved so much more money than everybody else. Six mil more a year than Burks and four and half more than Favors is just crazy if you're assessment is based on ability and performance. I do think that he was more important to the team from a marketing standpoint than as a player.

If the salary cap wasn't on the rise, he was an over pay, but given it's going to be going to go up so much, it's good value for Hayward too. I expect Hayward to get back on track to something like a 20/5/5 season, at which he would good value in this new free agency market. Comparing Hayward's salary to Favors and Burks aint really fair, they are steals at their price.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#71 » by Stern Fixer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:56 pm

dautjazz wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:

If the salary cap wasn't on the rise, he was an over pay, but given it's going to be going to go up so much, it's good value for Hayward too. I expect Hayward to get back on track to something like a 20/5/5 season, at which he would good value in this new free agency market. Comparing Hayward's salary to Favors and Burks aint really fair, they are steals at their price.

Good points considering the salary cap and yes I agree that Hayward has time to redeem himself if he can improve on his shooting % and cut down on his turnovers. But you're right he's still contributing more than Tristan Thompson and a few others around the league ostensibly.

"Comparing Hayward's salary to Favors and Burks aint really fair, they are steals at their price." Agreed Favors and Burks are steals, but what does that make Gobert and Hood salarywise? If I was Gobert's agent I would demand that his salary be renegotiated right now. As slight as he is (gives up fifty pounds and more) and as much as Snyder overplays him, he's always a candidate for injury.

Return to Utah Jazz